Overage leagues? (O-30, O-40 leagues etc)

Just an idea I had, would it be possible to add overage leagues where players have to be over a certain age, for example over 40 years old to play in an O-40 league? I can think of many problems with something like this; players retiring might be the biggest issue. Anyways, just curious if anyone has tried this before, and how did it go?

It's a tough one.  I don't think you would need age rules for clubs per se. This is one you would have to set in the competition rules and apply it from there. But the problem is that while there are predetermined age rules for U18/19/20, etc in the advanced rules fixture rule parts. There is no such thing for upper age. Also, even we could find them or even edit them in (see Editor files in the FM23 download sections), the code behind it probably would do different.

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/05/2023 at 02:05, janmagn said:

You can set a minimum age for all teams, how well that works I'm not sure

It's not great for AI teams - they'll sign players just short of the maximum age then let them rot. I hoped a non-contract team would automatically release players when they became ineligible but they keep them until the end of the season - and sometimes even longer. 

• 3 weeks later...
Em 13/05/2023 em 23:53, Supermercado99 disse:

It's not great for AI teams - they'll sign players just short of the maximum age then let them rot. I hoped a non-contract team would automatically release players when they became ineligible but they keep them until the end of the season - and sometimes even longer. 

Try this, i'm not sure if it works, i've thought about it but i'm currently testing some other stuff

Download this "customized" editor. Before installing, go in the "editor\format\database" folder inside and edit the "club.xml" file in notepad++ or something.

Search for the line "<flags id="field" value="Cnag" />" and a little below, there are the values permitted for using in the editor (by default you can't set the min. age to over 21). They are the lines "<integer id="min_value" value="16" />" and "<integer id="max_value" value="21" />".

You can really set the min to 14 and the max to 45, anything under that min. or over that max. will not work on the editor even if you set in that line, probably because it's related to somewhere else where it sets the min. and max. age for players, and i don't know where it changes and if it's possible.

Also, i would recommend doing the same thing in the "<flags id="field" value="Cmag" />" just above. (Max. Age)

Save the files and install the custom editor as described in the topic, then run the editor and set the age limits in the clubs you want, save the files and test ingame.

I think if you set a club to a minimum age of 30 for example, save, and run the game, it will probably work. Over 40 probably the AI will retire the players in a season or even less, and maybe other bugs. Also, i don't know if they will actually sign appropriately players. But this will probably work perfectly with greyed-out amateur clubs. Try just setting the minimum age and don't set a maximum age. Also, will be interesting to see how the youth intake day will work.

I don't expect this to work properly with over-40 teams, FM force players to retire older players quickly after you start a new game, even top players like Gianluigi Buffon or Cristiano Ronaldo.