Merging to files does not work

Slyfiskmand

Hi all,

I'm having an issue where I've edited the Australian League and Chinese League in 2 different files, both in advanced rules.

When I merge these 2 files, in "Show Rules For" I can only see the Australian Leagues I created but not the Chinese. Even though all the files from the Chinese League files are in the database.

This has never happened in previous editors.

image.png.e3d51df88dd9bde0fbc338bf2407fcfd.png

Does anyone have any ideas why? 

I've tried with other files, and even done it with files with no changes but to no avail.

Has anyone experienced this?

How did you merge them? VIa XML or fmf file?

I advice against combining competition rules from different nations into one file, although a few editors have said it can be done and should work (this is for previous versions, I have noone hear say it works for FM23).

On 22/04/2023 at 00:00, Wolf_pd said:

How did you merge them? VIa XML or fmf file?

I advice against combining competition rules from different nations into one file, although a few editors have said it can be done and should work (this is for previous versions, I have noone hear say it works for FM23).

Hi bud,

I merged them using the  "merge editor data" option under files. That's how I've always done it.

Am 21.4.2023 um 20:28 schrieb Slyfiskmand:

Has anyone experienced this?

Yeah, kinda. I both tried merging two custom databases (so 2x nation rules) as well as a file with advanced nation rules with one with advanced rules for international competitions. Neither really worked as intended.

For merging both files with nation rules - via "merge files" option in the editor - only the one from the "original" file could be edited under nation rules afterwards. The data of the other nation had clearly been merged because I could find it in the file, but I couldn't edit it there and, worse, it did not show up ingame as a selectable league. My guess is that when merging there was still some issue, but 1.) it wasn't checked for verification because that nation wasn't put as part of the advanced rules and 2.) I couldn't have fixed it therefore.

When merging a nation file with one where I edited international competitions, I found a different issue. For the nation file, I did create a new nation in South America. Verification told me that the U20 South American Championship couldn't find any teams but needed teams - apparently this is a known issue that if you go into AR under these circumstances, the competition acts up even without being meddled with.

Now, my logical conclusion was "fine, I'll make a separate database, fix the U20 South American Championship, merge the two and see what the next issue is". Now that didn't exactly work. The issue here is - just specifying the teams in order for the competition to actually draw in 10 teams does not register as a change to the database. Meaning when merging the two this doesn't carry over as the editor doesn't recognise it as a change to the database. So the takeaway from this one is that some changes don't register as changes and may be lost when merging.

I also tried merging a more elaborate database not created by me (Worldwide Champions League) with the nation I created, but because not both of them show up under advanced rules, I cannot check for any issues that prevent the nation from showing up when I load the game.

1 hour ago, MRC said:

Yeah, kinda. I both tried merging two custom databases (so 2x nation rules) as well as a file with advanced nation rules with one with advanced rules for international competitions. Neither really worked as intended.

For merging both files with nation rules - via "merge files" option in the editor - only the one from the "original" file could be edited under nation rules afterwards. The data of the other nation had clearly been merged because I could find it in the file, but I couldn't edit it there and, worse, it did not show up ingame as a selectable league. My guess is that when merging there was still some issue, but 1.) it wasn't checked for verification because that nation wasn't put as part of the advanced rules and 2.) I couldn't have fixed it therefore.

When merging a nation file with one where I edited international competitions, I found a different issue. For the nation file, I did create a new nation in South America. Verification told me that the U20 South American Championship couldn't find any teams but needed teams - apparently this is a known issue that if you go into AR under these circumstances, the competition acts up even without being meddled with.

Now, my logical conclusion was "fine, I'll make a separate database, fix the U20 South American Championship, merge the two and see what the next issue is". Now that didn't exactly work. The issue here is - just specifying the teams in order for the competition to actually draw in 10 teams does not register as a change to the database. Meaning when merging the two this doesn't carry over as the editor doesn't recognise it as a change to the database. So the takeaway from this one is that some changes don't register as changes and may be lost when merging.

I also tried merging a more elaborate database not created by me (Worldwide Champions League) with the nation I created, but because not both of them show up under advanced rules, I cannot check for any issues that prevent the nation from showing up when I load the game.

Thanks for that. It's so strange that it does this, because last year's editor I didn't experience these issues. It's like a step backwards.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Slyfiskmand:

Thanks for that. It's so strange that it does this, because last year's editor I didn't experience these issues. It's like a step backwards.

Yeah, it also makes the learning process a lot harder and troubleshooting is a real mess. I've build a few rather simple databases over the years and I am slightly accustomed to some advanced rules stuff, but overall I think I'm still pretty much a novice at this stuff. That complicates things further and makes progressing a lot harder. A community like this is worth a lot because there are some amazingly helpful people here, but at the end of the day it is a pretty small community and there isn't always someone to help with every problem. And if the editor "acts up" like this, it only puts more pressure on the community because obviously there are gonna be more people with issues.