End of season team/player discussion topic

Majick

I signed a young midfielder a couple of seasons ago. He's not developed as well as I'd hoped, and is now no better than a backup... but PSG wanted to sign him, so come the summer I offered him for sale.

They didn't bid for him. He wasn't happy I was touting him out for sale. Now I've had to promise him that he won't be sold - a promise I have to keep until next summer's transfer window close. From past experience, he may change his mind if the right club comes in for him, or he may not.

But my issue is that there was no way for me to know if he'd get upset about my trying to sell him to PSG. In hindsight, I could have targeted them specifically with the offer, but it didn't occur to me at the time.

What would be nice is if there was an option to broach the subject of transfers with a player/players before a transfer window opens. Maybe at the end of the season team meeting have an option to say "I know that some of you are attracting interest from other clubs. If you'd be interested in a move, or don't want to leave, please let me know."

Otherwise, an option to speak directly to the player (or their agent) and say "PSG, Barcelona and Real Madrid are interested in buying you. Would you be open to moving?" Maybe have context-sensitive options so you can say "I know this would be a great opportunity for you/I know this could be your last change for a big move/You're an incredibly valuable player and we need the money etc."

We do get a skeletal form of this with the agent's opinion when you go into the transfer offer screen, but it's not always reliable - especially as the player can change their mind depending on the clubs who bid and what the bidding teams offer them.

• 3 months later...