Insufficient player quality or tactical problem? [FM 21]

I've been trying to figure out a good away approach for games against top EPL clubs with Tottenham, but no matter what I try, I cannot at least be competitive in an away tie against Arsenal, at the start of the season. If I want to have some success. I've had issues defending set pieces, and even after adjustments, I've had issues there. This is why I've tried my usual set-up. I'm aware that a high D-Line or a high press are even riskier.

This screenshot is before the first game of the season, which I most often win because I'm the home side. Is there a tactical solution to help me perform better when away from home, or is the problem in my players? Due to the need to mind the number of homegrown players at the club, and the price tags of players that would improve the team, I am pretty much using a squad that hasn't seen any fresh faces.

20230313172419_1.jpg

That's a pretty offensive tactic. Positive mentality, two CMs who roam from their positions, attack-minded fullbacks, high press, counter-press, counter..

Maybe for harder away games you could drop back to a mid-block or drop the mentality down? 

10 minutes ago, LHurlz said:

That's a pretty offensive tactic. Positive mentality, two CMs who roam from their positions, attack-minded fullbacks, high press, counter-press, counter..

Maybe for harder away games you could drop back to a mid-block or drop the mentality down? 

I did try playing on Cautious and Balanced, with a lower block. I give away too many corners and free kicks. I do not use Get Stuck In- only Hojbjerg might have Tackle Harder.

Edited by Bunkerossian

I think you should first look at what is happening in those tough away matches.

For instance...  Is your team giving the ball away too much? Are you unable to create chances? Are you giving away too many set pieces? Are you getting beat by through balls? Are you losing the ball in a very specific area? Are particular players having trouble more than others?  Etc.

Once you've started to answer those questions, you can then start to figure out how to tweak things.

What I see is a tactic that is quite aggressive and risky.  You're using "positive" as the team mentality, but I would advise you also click on each player and check their individual mentality. You'll probably find some of the support duty players are "positive" or "attacking." 

The other thing I notice right away is that you're using a halfback and a BDP, which tells me that perhaps your goal is to play possession football where the team forms a back 3 (HB, BPD, CD) similar to those old Dutch 4-3-3 systems that morph into 3-4-3 etc.

If you're trying to play possession football, it's entirely possible that the positive team mentality coupled WITHOUT any shorter passing / tempo adjustments could be taking away from your desired style.

You're also using "counter" in transition, so that will also hurt a possession focused approach, because players will look to immediately launch counters when they win the ball back.

4 hours ago, bababooey said:

I think you should first look at what is happening in those tough away matches.

For instance...  Is your team giving the ball away too much? Are you unable to create chances? Are you giving away too many set pieces? Are you getting beat by through balls? Are you losing the ball in a very specific area? Are particular players having trouble more than others?  Etc.

Once you've started to answer those questions, you can then start to figure out how to tweak things.

What I see is a tactic that is quite aggressive and risky.  You're using "positive" as the team mentality, but I would advise you also click on each player and check their individual mentality. You'll probably find some of the support duty players are "positive" or "attacking." 

The other thing I notice right away is that you're using a halfback and a BDP, which tells me that perhaps your goal is to play possession football where the team forms a back 3 (HB, BPD, CD) similar to those old Dutch 4-3-3 systems that morph into 3-4-3 etc.

If you're trying to play possession football, it's entirely possible that the positive team mentality coupled WITHOUT any shorter passing / tempo adjustments could be taking away from your desired style.

You're also using "counter" in transition, so that will also hurt a possession focused approach, because players will look to immediately launch counters when they win the ball back.

When playing more cautiously, conceding too many set pieces is the problem. At the same time, I cannot create enough chances. If I try playing more offensively, I get beaten by through balls. The tactic, as it is, was fine at home against Chelsea.

On 13/03/2023 at 09:39, Bunkerossian said:

I've been trying to figure out a good away approach for games against top EPL clubs with Tottenham, but no matter what I try, I cannot at least be competitive in an away tie against Arsenal, at the start of the season. If I want to have some success. I've had issues defending set pieces, and even after adjustments, I've had issues there. This is why I've tried my usual set-up. I'm aware that a high D-Line or a high press are even riskier.

This screenshot is before the first game of the season, which I most often win because I'm the home side. Is there a tactical solution to help me perform better when away from home, or is the problem in my players? Due to the need to mind the number of homegrown players at the club, and the price tags of players that would improve the team, I am pretty much using a squad that hasn't seen any fresh faces.

20230313172419_1.jpg

Team cohesion/morale is probably the largest factor to your teams form. I'd check the dynamics page.

If you've got space in the schedule, setting up some friendlys to batter the opposition can be a quick fix.