Can't renew contract for my striker

• SI Staff

He's refusing to negotiate - chances are he's not particularly happy with you at this point?

(sometimes you can bring him around by having a private talk with him, depending on why he's upset - but its easiest to avoid letting them get to this stage rather than trying to repair it later)

Could also be that he's just not that interested in staying and may be thinking about joining a bigger club (even if he isn't saying "I want to leave"). It looks like one other club is interested in him, so maybe he'd rather end up there than sign a new contract.

In terms of what you can do: you can either cash in on him now and sell him for as much as you can and re-invest the money; or you can take the risk and hang on to him, hoping you can get him to sign later (players sometimes are happy to sign when their contract runs right down or even expires - but sometimes they will agree a bosman with someone else before then).

• 3 weeks later...

Also, it could be that the player recently talked about a new contract with you.

If they got a new contract or got signed in the last few months, they may not want to go with a new contract yet.

Also, if you don't reach a good point when negotiation a new contract, they will lose interest and you need to allow some time (hopefully they want to continue with the talks later in the season)

My little experience says that we should be negotiating a new contract a year before it expires (at the latest) and sign them for 3-4 or even 5 years so that you have time for all of this management stuff, and then you won't lose them easily.