Erik Ten Hag's United Tactics?

Wingbacks kind of do everything.

Sometimes Dalot (more so than AWB I think) sits narrow, in the midfield to form a double pivot, an IWB-S basically. Sometimes he would underlap while the winger stays wide, and lurk around the edge of the box IWB-S/-A. And sometimes, if the winger is narrow, he would overlap like a regular Wingback-S/-A. 

Similar thing happens on the other side with Shaw/Malacia. Sometimes he would form a back 3 with other 2 CBs, and sometimes Eriksen drops deep to form a back 3, while the WBs push higher. They often do use this 3-1-6 shape, and sometimes they use 3-2-5/2-3-5. 

Recreating all of that is kinda impossible in this game. Movement and positioning is way too fluid and interchangeable, where players need to occupy certain positions based on where the other teammates are positioned. You could make a very rigid replication, where a RW for example, would always stay wide, and where the RB would always sit narrower and underlap. Or you could do it the other way around where the RW always sits narrow, and WB always overlaps, but I think the first version would be closer to real life. You could also add a overlap to IWB-S to encourage him to make those overlapping runs when there's opportunity to do so.

Replicating Eriksen dropping deep in the buildup to form a back 3 with 2 CBs, while the WBs are pushed forward, is simply impossible. It's similar with using one fullback to form a back 3, but at least it does work sometimes.

I'm not sure whether I'd use a 4-2-3-1, or a 4-1-2-3 (4-3-3), as those also change often. I really dislike the 4-2-3-1 (both with DMs and CMs) in FM23, as the AM, even on Support duty is often placed right on top of the striker in a lot of situations, and he would often go to the side of the striker to from a front 2. And that's on support duty.

Edited by (sic)

• 2 months later...
On 28/01/2023 at 14:56, (sic) said:

I'm not sure whether I'd use a 4-2-3-1, or a 4-1-2-3 (4-3-3), as those also change often. I really dislike the 4-2-3-1 (both with DMs and CMs) in FM23, as the AM, even on Support duty is often placed right on top of the striker in a lot of situations, and he would often go to the side of the striker to from a front 2. And that's on support duty.

@(sic) i know this is really late man, but what would u suggest the formation to use?