How do you create own groups manually instead of a random draw?

speedstrz

I am trying to create a 36 team tournament, starting with a group stage, with 6 groups of 6 teams each. I have an idea of what teams I want in each group, how do I do that?

I've tried going to Group Settings in Advanced Rules ---> Group Settings, then grouping the teams specifically but it doesn't seem to work, in-game the groups are going by Unique ID in the Pre-Game Editor

Edited by speedstrz

Use seedings. Assign seedings to the teams you want in certain groups and then under group settings you can set valid group rules to get seedings into the right groups.

Personally I've found it works easier if you tell it what not to do, instead of what to do. ie. rather than saying put seeding 0 in group 1, tell it not to put seeding 0 in groups 2-8 so the only one left is group 1. I've got an international tournament set up like that using seedings where the host is set as seeding 0 and goes in the first group, while the holder (or runner up if the holder is the host) is set as seeding 1 and goes in the final group. It works every time there.

1 hour ago, rusty217 said:

Use seedings. Assign seedings to the teams you want in certain groups and then under group settings you can set valid group rules to get seedings into the right groups.

Personally I've found it works easier if you tell it what not to do, instead of what to do. ie. rather than saying put seeding 0 in group 1, tell it not to put seeding 0 in groups 2-8 so the only one left is group 1. I've got an international tournament set up like that using seedings where the host is set as seeding 0 and goes in the first group, while the holder (or runner up if the holder is the host) is set as seeding 1 and goes in the final group. It works every time there.

How do you set up the seeding? For me it's only allowing me to put in numbers and not add in the team I want as well

image.png.8d6adc7a60d984154b57019615baf467.png

I think doing it that way does it by team index, where the first seeding goes to team 0 and so on. If you used Team Order above that you might be able to work out.

I find it easier to set seedings when getting teams in the first place though. Not sure how you're getting teams exactly, but if it's Get Specific Team, or Get Teams From Division or whatever there should be an option to give seedings to the teams at the same time, you can use that to set seedings.

Teams are also just drawn in the order they're listed if there are no other variables at play.

So make sure to uncheck "randomize teams", "reverse order of teams in this list" etc. Don't "sort teams" by anything. Then under group draw rules, remove them all, so no seeded draw etc

On 21/11/2022 at 09:21, rusty217 said:

I think doing it that way does it by team index, where the first seeding goes to team 0 and so on. If you used Team Order above that you might be able to work out.

I find it easier to set seedings when getting teams in the first place though. Not sure how you're getting teams exactly, but if it's Get Specific Team, or Get Teams From Division or whatever there should be an option to give seedings to the teams at the same time, you can use that to set seedings.

I tried the seeding method from the team pool, but there isn't a setting that allows me set it for each team, or am I doing something wrong?

5 hours ago, speedstrz said:

I tried the seeding method from the team pool, but there isn't a setting that allows me set it for each team, or am I doing something wrong?

How are you getting your teams? If you're using the same teams every year then you can just Get Specific Team and assign the seeding there. If not then you could set up some conditions and give the teams that meet those conditions the seeding.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/11/2022 at 17:49, rusty217 said:

How are you getting your teams? If you're using the same teams every year then you can just Get Specific Team and assign the seeding there. If not then you could set up some conditions and give the teams that meet those conditions the seeding.

Thanks it worked, all what prevented it was the additional group rules in group settings