4231 DM high negative influence

To make my FM23 save more realistic I have turned off 1st transfer window and am starting the save mid October with the current team and therefore only have the players brought in by the previous manager to work with.

When looking at the formations the players suit a 4231, and when setting up the tactics the assistant recommends 4231DM wide as per the below attached with the roles indicated.  I have set the best inherited players to suit this.  When I also look at the squad I want the defence to be able to control the space and have looked at the antipation, concentration, decisions, bravery positions and ofb of my defenders and as there are some red and blue attributes in there I believe the defence may need some help by a defensive midfielder.

The issue is when using the preset for the 4321 DM wide I will be using 2 midfielders in a deeper role DLP and Defensive midfielder which I am hoping will help out the defence.  When I look at the analysis tab of the tactic there are some red dots and two red squares between the midfield and AMC and when ticking on these squares the areas have Low positive influence and the red circles say that high negative influence as no one is directly responsible for that area.   Will this matter in the tactic?  which is based on a preset roles and duties.  I could push up the middle 2 and change there roles which changes everything to green, but am concerned that with my defence been week in the attributes stated above this may lead to goals been conceded.

My question is does it matter that there are some red circles saying high negative influence and 2 red squares in the tactic or do I need to look at addressing it

Hull City_ Overview.png

Hull City_ Overview-2.png

Hull City_ Overview-3.png

Edited by wazza

• wazza changed the title to 4231 DM high negative influence

I understand why the game marks it as negative. You have two players in your pivot who both have a hold position instruction coded. And now you also have a play through the middle, while nobody in the middle is moving forward. Likewise, you want to see underlaps, but nobody is instructed to move into that area

So defensivly its probably solid, but you will struggle to get the ball to the front. I would probably combine the dlp with something like a segundo volante to carry the ball and make runs into the final third

9 minutes ago, eXistenZ said:

I understand why the game marks it as negative. You have two players in your pivot who both have a hold position instruction coded. And now you also have a play through the middle, while nobody in the middle is moving forward. Likewise, you want to see underlaps, but nobody is instructed to move into that area

So defensivly its probably solid, but you will struggle to get the ball to the front. I would probably combine the dlp with something like a segundo volante to carry the ball and make runs into the final third

Thanks I hadnt looked at the aspect of changing  the roles as yet as was looking at going for a preset tactic with the roles and duties set I was surprised that a pre-set tactic set it up with 2 holding midfielders on the 4231DM AM Wide tactic and that the game says that the DLP and the Defensive midfielder was the best roles for this set up in the vertical tika taka system along with the play through middle on the preset

Edited by wazza

No matter of hardcoded "hold the position" instruction, it is my understanding that in this new ME, the pivots will play higher up the pitch when you have the ball..so they will be in the MC strata and hold the position there. They won't be locked in the DM strata because of the instruction.