How easy is it to import editor files into a new version of FM?

rusty217

I've spent a lot of time editing or adding competitions for FM22 and I'm wondering how easy it will be to move those changes over to a future version of FM. I believe there's an option to do so, I've just never tried it before. So how does it work? Is it liable to cause issues? Does it import database changes or just rules changes? Also, can you only go back 1 version? Often I only buy a new FM every 2 years, so would I be able to import my FM22 editor files straight into FM24, or would they need to go to FM23 first?

It depends, mostly on whether SI has changes to their data model (as in: how different parts of the data are connected to each other), but in my experience it is easily possible. I have uploaded several files from FM20 to FM22 to continue editing there or to use those files as a base for different edits. Rules are usually OK as you overwrite the rules from the games with them. The issue there that you might find is that in the database the amount of teams might have changed, which then needs data work.

In terms of data changes, when you load up older files, there are likely to be database issues as especially player data changes quite dynamically. The easiest way to check is keep an eye on your File >> Details screen

image.png.5a9a2ffca3e2dda42cc222a62a56b33a.png

What you want to ensure that you have as little (as possible) failed cases here. With uploading an old file to a newer version you are likely to have some. In that case, check the errors and remove where needed. Usually (this is my experience between the 22.1 and 22.3 update) you only have to remove the failed change and you can continue without issue afterwards. Obviously, the more changes your file has, the more failed changes you probably will have.

image.thumb.png.110be6adb76299d1f1460f0fcf6dd88c.png