Re-created all 3 European competitions, but the top 2 teams all qualify for the Champions League, Europa League and Europa Conference? HELP!

Slyfiskmand

Hi fellow managers,

I would like your help with something please. Please bare with me.

Basically, I've re-created the Champions League, Europa League and Europa Conference from scratch as I wanted to increase the number of teams participating in these competitions. So as an example, England, Spain, Italy, Germany, Portugal, France all get given 5 Champions League places, others 4, 3, 1 etc. The same principle applies for the other 2 competitions.

Everything is valid.

However, when I load up FM I encounter a few issues:

Issue 1 - No highlighting of European Competitions

a) The top 5 places should be highlighted to show that these places qualifies you for the Champion League, but they are not highlighted. However, it's interesting to note that the Champions League runs as it should and the top 5 teams qualify regardless (I've tested this).

b) No highlighting for the Europa League and Europa Conference places (in this case, 6th/7th place for Europa League and 8th place for Europa Conference) which I've manually set in advance rules in the Editor:

image.png.8b0cb93101d1db9430c04c6c0952b3be.png

c) When I go to league rules, there is no mention of the Champions League or Europa Conference. In fact, it say's that the top 2 places qualifies one for the Europa League:

image.png.4de17b244e95f09eb6e8b19118ff0b3c.png

And this brings me to the biggest issue as above:

Issue 2 - Top 2 teams qualify for all 3 European competitions

a) After one season, the top 2 teams qualify for the Europa League and Europa Conference, regardless if they've already qualified for the Champions League. As an example, we have Real Madrid, who finished 1st in their League (thus qualifying for the Champions League) also qualify for the Europa League and Europa Conference:

image.thumb.png.c61f3dbbf244db1c1618a8789154d634.png

The strange thing about all of this is that I was very careful when using advanced rules to ensure the right number of teams qualify for the right competition. But perhaps this is where I've done something wrong?

To note, the Champions league still fetches the correct teams and seems to be working fine.

This is how I assign teams (based on their league position) to these competitions in the Editor (in this case Champions League):

Teams - Team Pool - Get League Stage Teams (In Final Position), then I add the competition (in this case LaLiga) and then add top position 0 (which I believe it's 1st place) and then bottom position 4 (which I believe is 5th).

I've also previously tried doing this via the Qualified Teams section but still gave me the same error.

image.png.bbe86940019921e5524806326e7bced7.png

image.png.bb57124963351b63a8336db6856134f2.png

I do the same thing for Europa League and Europa Conference but change the top and bottom positions:

Europa League:

image.png.d2a7570f8492e514142ce05a068bd95a.png

image.png.febbe96d270553c27e45d99f0bd64a26.png

and so forth...

Lads...

Do you know what I'm wrong with setting these qualifying rules? 

Why aren't the league placed highlighted to reflect the correct european qualification?

Why are the top 2 teams qualifying for the 3 European competition?

Apologies as I know it's a long post, but I would really appreciate any insight any of you may have on these issues.

I've attached the file if any of you would like to check it out.

Thanks in advance and Peace :)

CL, EL & EC (22.4) 3.fmf

Following this because I'm doing a full overhaul of Europe to more or less recreate how things looked in the early 90s (champions only in CL, cup winners' cup, Euro cup) and I need all the help I can get... 

1 hour ago, woow123 said:

Following this because I'm doing a full overhaul of Europe to more or less recreate how things looked in the early 90s (champions only in CL, cup winners' cup, Euro cup) and I need all the help I can get... 

You could always try my file: 

1 hour ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

You could always try my file:

Oh, damn. Thank you! I will definitely check it out in a couple hours. I'm vaguely new to editing, so pardon the stupid question: if I download it, will I be able to access advanced rules or will I have to extract the competition? In the early rounds of the CL, or maybe even all the competitions, I would like to make the top quarter of slots each round be seeded so as to avoid early matchups between big clubs.

Edit: while I have your ear, do you know of any other good historical mods? Most importantly, I am hoping to find a 16 team European championship mod to restore the competition I remember from my first years of football watching.

Edited by woow123

Yeah of course you can. When you open my file in the editor you're already in advanced rules, so you'll be able to do what you want to do. I have seedings but only to put some teams straight into the first round. Once in the draw anyone can play anyone but you can change that easy enough.
I don't know of any euros downloads. 

Getting teams that way is liable to cause that issue. I'd recommend just using the standard qualifying setup instead. Just set up the nations on the continent page and then on the teams page tell it to get x teams from nation #s and the seedings to give them. Then in your competition you just need to tell it to get qualified teams. That will automatically take the highest placed teams that haven't already qualified for a higher continental competition.

That's effectively how the default continental competitions are setup and I believe is the only way you'll get the colour coding highlighting European qualifiers on league tables (although that is pretty finicky, so no guarantees).

9 hours ago, rusty217 said:

Getting teams that way is liable to cause that issue. I'd recommend just using the standard qualifying setup instead. Just set up the nations on the continent page and then on the teams page tell it to get x teams from nation #s and the seedings to give them. Then in your competition you just need to tell it to get qualified teams. That will automatically take the highest placed teams that haven't already qualified for a higher continental competition.

That's effectively how the default continental competitions are setup and I believe is the only way you'll get the colour coding highlighting European qualifiers on league tables (although that is pretty finicky, so no guarantees).

Hey man, thanks for replying, I appreciate it. 

When you say "in your competition you just need to tell it to get qualified teams", what do you mean? 

11 hours ago, Slyfiskmand said:

Hey man, thanks for replying, I appreciate it. 

When you say "in your competition you just need to tell it to get qualified teams", what do you mean? 

Don't use "Get League Stage Teams", use "Get Qualified Teams for Comp" instead. No extra settings needed. I'd suggest ticking the "Remove Picked Qualified Teams" box, and maybe set the "Seeding of Qualified Teams" so it draws the right teams into the right stage, but that's all.

On 09/04/2022 at 03:59, rusty217 said:

Don't use "Get League Stage Teams", use "Get Qualified Teams for Comp" instead. No extra settings needed. I'd suggest ticking the "Remove Picked Qualified Teams" box, and maybe set the "Seeding of Qualified Teams" so it draws the right teams into the right stage, but that's all.

Thanks you so much man! :)

What you've advised has worked, albeit temporarily . I still get no colour coding (but that's not the end of the world).

At the beginning of a new season, it seems like everything is okay (like the top 2 teams no longer qualify for all 3 UEFA comps), but as I sim a few months I encounter the same issues (and a new one):

• The Domestic League winners qualify for all 3 UEFA comps still :confused:
  • The Domestic runner up qualifies for the CL and Europa League 

My settings for Italy (relating to the 3 UEFA competitions) are: 1st - 5th: Champions League, 6th - 7th: Europa League & 8th: Europa Conference:

image.png.02d84bbd8e11030cf146498725ae5bc8.png

After 1 season, this is what happened:

1 Milan - CL, EL, EC
2 Napoli - CL, EL
3 Lazio - CL
4 Inter - CL
5 Juventus - CL

6 Atalanta - No UEFA comp
7 Roma - No UEFA comp

So, Milan took Atalantas's and Roma's Europa League place & Milan took Sassuolo's Europa Conference place.

When I looked at league rules for Serie A (and other leagues), it still shows as the top 2 qualifying for the Europa League. I can't get rid of this.

image.png.6a3b7fb78b641e195d5b14a844e14b45.png

Interestingly, at the beginning of the season (in England foe example) the rules show this:

image.png.68abce69c5d97f157a0578c512442a1a.png

But then it reverts to top 2 qualifying for Europa League.

Any ideas why all this is happening?

Once again, thanks for previous replies.

Edited by Slyfiskmand

What do your Nations and Teams pages look like?

I can't really help with the colour coding or no qualification positions showing in rules. I've got the same issues with some leagues using default continental rules. The correct teams still qualify though. Not sure what causes it, but as long as it's only a visual bug I wouldn't worry about it.

3 hours ago, rusty217 said:

What do your Nations and Teams pages look like?

I can't really help with the colour coding or no qualification positions showing in rules. I've got the same issues with some leagues using default continental rules. The correct teams still qualify though. Not sure what causes it, but as long as it's only a visual bug I wouldn't worry about it.

Hi mate,

You're right, the visual error is not really an issue but I've seem to have fixed this a little bit.

So, initially I created 3 separate files for CL, EL and EC and then once all was valid and tested, I merged them all into one file for ease. When I tried to go revert back to basic rules (to show you the Nations and Teams pages), I could only get it for the Europa League.

So I went back to all 3 individual files, added the changes you suggested and loaded up FM using the 3 individual files.

So now, instead of the top 2 teams being highlighted and the league rules showing that the top 2 teams qualify for the Europa League, I now get this:

image.png.8870528c94135667ff722ce80df92302.pngimage.png.19fcd2de73d759348fe7ec5c36dd7d09.png

So the Champions League qualification now highlights the correct places and this is also reflected in the league rules. So the Champions League as a competition works fine with no issues (colour coding and fetches the correct teams). I didn't do anything different apart from applying your advice.

As you can see, the Europa League still fetches the top 2 teams the Europa Conference the top 1 team (in this instance, the Premier League).

I think I've pinpointed that the issue solely lies with the inability of the my Europa League and Europa Conference files to fetch the correct placed teams (from the leagues), as it gets the top 2 or top 1 by default. So it must be something I'm doing wrong in the Teams/Qualified teams section in Advanced Rules.

For the Champions League, I'm not doing anything different, but I think the 3 files sort of clash with each other. Or they are not communicating with each other.

I need to figure out a way to tell my:

• Europa League file to qualify the 6th and 7th placed teams to the competition, and not the 1st and 2nd placed teams (i.e. Premier League, La Liga, Serie A etc.)
  • Europa Conference file to qualify the 8th placed teams to the competition, and not the 1st placed teams (i.e. Premier League, La Liga, Serie A etc.)

One way I thought of doing this was by using the Get League Stage Teams/the Get League Stage Teams (In Final Position) and specify (for each league) to get the 6th and 7th placed teams etc. but I've tried that before and it did not work.

Below are the requested Nations and Teams screenshots (for the Europa League):

image.png.50bdd294e9d10756b1aec09cedf572a8.pngimage.thumb.png.bdf0531a30924fdb32e8ecd521e4b7ba.png

Can you see anything wrong with what I've done here? 

You'll noticed they have a seeding of zero, that's there is no qualifiers, all teams that qualify for these competition (64) go straight to the group stages. In the group stages, I've assigned seeding by doing the below:

image.thumb.png.30ef4d20a96d553d858a87983d617ae8.png

Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.

2 minutes ago, Dave Fairbairn said:

You need them all in the same file in the same qualifying table. The way you're doing it means they're different qualifying systems.

Thanks bud.

I've had them all in the same file originally but I still experienced the same issue.

What do you mean "same qualifying table"?

I basically created a file for each competition and then merge them together.

1 hour ago, Slyfiskmand said:

image.png.50bdd294e9d10756b1aec09cedf572a8.pngimage.thumb.png.bdf0531a30924fdb32e8ecd521e4b7ba.png

Yeah, they all need to be in the same file as mentioned above. This page should have all 3 competitions. Have the Champions League entries listed first, the Europa League under them and the Conference League under that.

It's not telling the game to get teams from specific positions, rather it's telling the game to get the highest placed teams (and removing the ones it picks). So when it gets to the Europa League section the Champions League section above it would have already taken the top 4 teams, so the Europa takes the next 2 teams (5th/6th) and so on.

Also, you shouldn't need to revert to basic rules. The nations/teams pages are in advanced rules too.

On 12/04/2022 at 13:38, rusty217 said:

Yeah, they all need to be in the same file as mentioned above. This page should have all 3 competitions. Have the Champions League entries listed first, the Europa League under them and the Conference League under that.

It's not telling the game to get teams from specific positions, rather it's telling the game to get the highest placed teams (and removing the ones it picks). So when it gets to the Europa League section the Champions League section above it would have already taken the top 4 teams, so the Europa takes the next 2 teams (5th/6th) and so on.

Also, you shouldn't need to revert to basic rules. The nations/teams pages are in advanced rules too.

Thanks bud, I've applied what you've advised and I'm definitely getting closer, I now have the correct colour coding and league rules (somehow)!

So, I've merged the 3 files again and simplified the teams section so that it does not have several entries:

image.thumb.png.94d28ffd20d1d9f1a5752cbe75e0727a.png

Adding the above entries to all 3 competitions (in Teams) gives me an error (too many teams not matching with rankings), so I cleared the teams section for the Europa League and Europa Conference and added the above team info into the Champions League section.

When I loaded FM, I still had no colour coding and under rules it showed no qualification. But all teams did qualify correctly, apart from the top 2 who qualify for all 3 UEFA competitions.

image.png.e4de25bce17eb07c1a9afa65ac6613e9.png

So I went back to the Editor and cleared the team info from the Champions League and added it to the Europa League Team section instead (just trial and error at this stage). To my surprise, when I loaded FM, the leagues now have COLOUR CODING (below)!

I don't know why and how my actions led to this outcome. It does not make sense. But alas!

Additionally, the league rules now display the correct qualification placings:

image.png.0651e91296f96009d6ad5d33f732dab6.pngimage.png.d03f262fc6e6a0837292878a6a876855.png

However, the same issue I've been having from the beginning, which won't really allow me to play the game using this edit, is that the top 2 teams still qualify for all 3 UEFA competitions

I just can't figure out what is causing this, I've tried so many things, play around with the setting but nothing. It's probably a simple thing I'm missing but I can't figure it out.

So close yet so far ha!

Do you have any more ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks as always!

PS I feel I have not seen a thread relating to this particular issue on here so hopefully this can also help others crack this issue!

Edited by Slyfiskmand

37 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

There are a few things it could be. Could you post a copy of your file? It'd be easier to figure out what the issue is after having a look at that.

Thanks buddy, I really appreciate it.

Just to give you some background on my file for ease:

- I've deleted the 3 original European competitions (CL, EL and EC) and created the 3 new European competitions with the same names.

- The CL has 128 teams (after a qualifying knockout round only 64 make it to the group stage) , EL 64 and EC 64

- My idea for the CL was for the losers of the qualifying knockout stage to drop to the Europa League group stage but I can't figure out how to do it, I think a fate or something.

Please let me know if you need more information and thank you for taking the time, I really appreciate it.

NEW - CL, EL & EC.fmf

The problem is you have 3 Europes. I assume a result of merging files? There should only be one. Delete 2 of them and add the other 2 competitions on to the competitions page of the remaining one.

As for dropping teams down to the Europa League, it's definitely possible. I've not done it yet myself, but I think the fate action Qualify Team For Competition set to the losing team and the Europa League with the For This Year box ticked should work. You'd also need to add a requirement to the Europa League group stage telling it not to setup until that stage of the CL had finished.

Also, I think you'll have a problem with stadium selection as is. For starters, under Fixture Times and Rules > Fixture Dates the final is set to "Home". That always overrides whatever is set in the stage section so you'll want to change that for sure. Set it to Stadium 0 (if using the guide below) or neutral (I usually use the former, since I know how to set up capacity/country requirements for that, but neutral should work too) instead. I'm not sure about picking specific stadia for certain years, but for random selections the below is a good guide. I'd suggest completely removing the Host Nation section though, just leave the box unticked. As a European competition it will default to any stadium in Europe that meets the capacity requirements can host it.

Edited by rusty217

3 hours ago, rusty217 said:

The problem is you have 3 Europes. I assume a result of merging files? There should only be one. Delete 2 of them and add the other 2 competitions on to the competitions page of the remaining one.

As for dropping teams down to the Europa League, it's definitely possible. I've not done it yet myself, but I think the fate action Qualify Team For Competition set to the losing team and the Europa League with the For This Year box ticked should work. You'd also need to add a requirement to the Europa League group stage telling it not to setup until that stage of the CL had finished.

Also, I think you'll have a problem with stadium selection as is. For starters, under Fixture Times and Rules > Fixture Dates the final is set to "Home". That always overrides whatever is set in the stage section so you'll want to change that for sure. Set it to Stadium 0 (if using the guide below) or neutral (I usually use the former, since I know how to set up capacity/country requirements for that, but neutral should work too) instead. I'm not sure about picking specific stadia for certain years, but for random selections the below is a good guide. I'd suggest completely removing the Host Nation section though, just leave the box unticked. As a European competition it will default to any stadium in Europe that meets the capacity requirements can host it.

Thanks bud!

I've made all these changes but unfortunately I still get the same error, where the top 2 teams still qualify for all 3 UEFA competitions.

I deleted 2 Europes (for EL and EC):

image.png.64dcb9281ad92d6768e368b796a7abb4.png

In competitions I added the Europa League and Europa Conference:

image.png.741994fd37aa03ac9459ff03e50f0df5.png

Thanks for the tip about dropping teams down to the Europa League, I'll try that soon and also for the stadium fixture, wasn't aware of this.

CL, EL & EC (22.4) 7.fmf

Edited by Slyfiskmand

Are you running any other files alongside it? Including the original separate files (them being unverified doesn't automatically deselect them BTW). I ran a test of the file both in the editor and in game and the qualifications all worked correctly.

Also, the Conference League group stage is currently set to 2 rounds. Might want to change that to 1, double round robin with 8 team groups is a lot of matches. In my test Brighton qualified for it and never had a single league game between 18/9 and 27/11. Over 2 months of just European fixtures (+1 Carabao Cup game). There now playing 6-7 league games per month from January in order to catch up.

The above about stadiums still applies to, under Fixture Times the final is still set as a home match, should be Stadium 0, neutral or host really (unless you want one of the teams playing at home). You can also untick the host country box, at the moment a host country is selected but isn't actually used for any stadia. eg. the UCL had Israel set as the hosts in one season, but the Liverpool vs Man Utd final was played at Anfield.

9 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

Are you running any other files alongside it? Including the original separate files (them being unverified doesn't automatically deselect them BTW). I ran a test of the file both in the editor and in game and the qualifications all worked correctly.

Also, the Conference League group stage is currently set to 2 rounds. Might want to change that to 1, double round robin with 8 team groups is a lot of matches. In my test Brighton qualified for it and never had a single league game between 18/9 and 27/11. Over 2 months of just European fixtures (+1 Carabao Cup game). There now playing 6-7 league games per month from January in order to catch up.

The above about stadiums still applies to, under Fixture Times the final is still set as a home match, should be Stadium 0, neutral or host really (unless you want one of the teams playing at home). You can also untick the host country box, at the moment a host country is selected but isn't actually used for any stadia. eg. the UCL had Israel set as the hosts in one season, but the Liverpool vs Man Utd final was played at Anfield.

Thanks for checking it out. 

Wow so in your test it worked properly! 

I'm only using the file I sent you, no other files selected. As in, when I load up FM only this file is selected. I have various others in my editor folder but they are not selected. 

When you say "them being unverified doesn't automatically deselect them BTW)" what do you mean?

Thanks for the heads up about the number of games and stadium fixture. I'll have a look at that. 

4 minutes ago, Slyfiskmand said:

When you say "them being unverified doesn't automatically deselect them BTW)" what do you mean?

I mean, when you make changes to a file and don't re-verify it then the tickbox to enable/disable the file when creating a new game disappears and you get an exclamation mark saying it needs to be tested first. But if you enabled it for new saves before making changes then it will still be enabled, although since the tickbox isn't there anymore it can't be unticked. The only way to remove files like that is the Remove All option when selecting editor files in your game setup. Then just re-enable the ones you do want to use.

18 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

I mean, when you make changes to a file and don't re-verify it then the tickbox to enable/disable the file when creating a new game disappears and you get an exclamation mark saying it needs to be tested first. But if you enabled it for new saves before making changes then it will still be enabled, although since the tickbox isn't there anymore it can't be unticked. The only way to remove files like that is the Remove All option when selecting editor files in your game setup. Then just re-enable the ones you do want to use.

EUREKA!!!!!!!!!!:applause:

image.png.63b6e80d7bcaa21e757ed25b43d6740f.png

You were absolutely right, I had 4 files selected even though they were not ticked. Clicking "remove all" and selecting the my file finally done the trick! I had no idea this was a thing, would have never thought to check that out.

I'm now going to apply this to my all my other Champions League, Europa League and Europa Conference equivalent competitions (for Africa, Asia etc.) that I've created.

Man, thank you so much for all your help, I truly appreciate it bud!

:lock:

On 05/04/2022 at 21:19, woow123 said:

This has now been solved with @rusty217 help!