Official Colchester United thread - The Us need a rebuilding!

xonnk

Hi glynnbob - thanks for that appreciate it. First thing I do is request a parent club but more often than not Cowling comes back and says he 'see's not point in creating any links with clubs at this time' which really ****es me off! I'd love to get Arsenal as a parent club but I think it seems quite rare they come up. Normally get offered Spurs, West Ham or Chelsea if I am lucky enough to get the option.

Ok season 1 - your advice here lads - do I sell Baldwin, Izzet and Elito to raise more funds as Cowling only given me £200k budget to start with. I also want to lose Heath, Vernon and Gillespie but no-one ever comes in for them. You could offer them to clubs for nothing but still no-one wants to take them.

I have edited my game database slightly and added Alan Maybury (DR), Lee Hills (DL) on loan from Crystal Palace until Jan 09, Jimmy Walker (GK) on loan from West Ham until Jan 09 and Marc Tierney (DLC) on loan from Shrewsbury until Jan 09. Did have Jermaine Easter on loan but put him back at Plymouth now he is injured IRL.

I was looking at Xonnk's post at the top of the page and finally found Vantiaggo from Rimini (only after having to load all players from Italy), he looks great but somehow I dont think I can afford the £1.7m value that he is worth! I also found Andy Iro and despite everyone telling me you can get him for free, he is with a club and they want in excess of £140k for him which is the bulk of my budget. Carlos Tordoya would probably be a cheaper and better option for £85k plus has far better stats than Iro.

The only players who I can think of that will be definate starters are:-

Dean Gerken GK

John White DR

Lee Hills DL - will need another DL once his loan expires in Jan

Chris Coyne DC

Carlos Tordoya DC

Mark Yeates - MR

Johnnie Jackson - ML

Dean Hammond - MC (more defensive of the central pair)

MC - Undecided - any suggestions?

FC - Clive Platt

FC - Undecided - any suggestions?

David Perkins, Paul Reid, Sunday Wasiu, Anthony Wordsworth are half decent back up players in my eyes - please correct me if I'm wrong?

Any other players you guys think I should replace or buy then let me know asap.

I'm going to use one of the Knap tactics which can be found in the tactics forum as had great success with this on my recent Leeds game taking them to the prem. It's a standard 442 formation with both wingers pushing up, one central midfielder pushing up and the other more defensive helping the defence. Both central defenders with arrows back and both full backs with arrows forward.

Again, any suggestions or advice on tactics as well as players for the first season would be greatly welcome guys.

that is very much the same squad as i used first season, i really rate wordsworth and j.jackson playing as my mc's only problem is jackson wants away however he is my captain and im hoping to have a good season to change his mind.

one peice of advice is to play gerken in every match as i managed at the end of the season to get a really good price for him(at least a couple of million)

fora left back try the old slovenia/slovakia i managed to get a couple one called jonas and one called prazak.

also i'd sell the players you mentioned to free up wages at least but keep elito and play him as he's another nice little earner from what i remember.

one thing i would advise is to keep an eye on your finances as you never seem to make any profit with the u's.

like xonnk said earlier keep an eye on the transfer list as sometimes there's a bargain to be had my best was giles barnes £275k now in his 3rd season with us and still not too big for his boots.

mark yeates is also a quality player but he is another one who wants away so try and give hima big fat contract asap.

good luckand keep us updated. myfirst match of season 4 (3rd in championship) just scraped a 1-0 win at home to notts forest.

While i just crumbled to Milan at UEFA's semis =(=(

Now i'm wishing i had lost to Inter, as i just lost to my most hated team IRL, and Inter would have probably beat them.

chin up xonnk id love to be top 6 in the championship even!!

you still using the two tactics you sent me? i've just walloped watford 4-1 in the lague cup. them having 14 chances and me having 9 !!

chin up xonnk id love to be top 6 in the championship even!!

you still using the two tactics you sent me? i've just walloped watford 4-1 in the lague cup. them having 14 chances and me having 9 !!

Yes, i am. Though i am now more bending onto the Catenaccio tactic, as Keirrison got injured for the last 2 months, and Saviola/Vantaggiato simply weren't up to the standard, and it has worked wonders for me, i got the manager of the month twice in a row at the EPL. The Identity tactic simply seems crap at the moment.

Breaking News! Hehehe.

I was just offered a contract by Fiorentina, and since i felt i did enough with Colch and had sent them to the farest i could, i accepted the offer!

you letdown, just one question what was your ground expanded too? any screenshots of your acheivements with the u's???

you letdown, just one question what was your ground expanded too? any screenshots of your acheivements with the u's???

Aww hehe, don't think i could send them more than i did, which was 3rd place in EPL, the league and FA cups. Just wish i had got the UEFA too, that would have been awesome.

I will get a screenshot soon.

And the stadium, well i had it up to 19k during my last season there, at the end however, there were plans set down to expand it to 12k more, that will be bringing it to 31k by November.

Aww hehe, don't think i could send them more than i did, which was 3rd place in EPL, the league and FA cups. Just wish i had got the UEFA too, that would have been awesome.

I will get a screenshot soon.

And the stadium, well i had it up to 19k during my last season there, at the end however, there were plans set down to expand it to 12k more, that will be bringing it to 31k by November.

a big well done then xonnk mate, i am in 15th (yet again)! after 19 games. although i seem to be playing some good football and dominating teams i just can't seem to kill them off! really don't know what to do now to make that next step up to the top half.

Well, as requested, here are my personal and team achievements with the Us:

colchach.jpg

colchach2.jpg

colchach3.jpg

colchach4.jpg

great success there mate well done. since i spoke on here earlier iv'e gone from 15th up to 5th with some superb results. im playing with version 1 of matt's tac set starting off every game defensive and switching to standard if under pressure the o'is that i am using is c/d harrd tk and wkr foot on the midfield playmaker wingers closed down and weaker foot and hard tackle any strikers bravery less than 12.

i have about 15 games left and i am just 6 points behind the leaders, could i do the unthinkable as well? the u's in the prem???

watch this space.............

okay with reference to the above.

i managed to get the u's promoted p46 w27 d6 l13, an amazing acheivement even if i say so myself! really looking forward to premier league footy at the weston homes community stadium, the board have decided to up capacity from 10k to 12.5k a culture shock awaits the man u's chelsea's etc!!

looking to build from the back and my 1st potential signing i hope to make is kasper schmeichel, then a couple of centre backs looking for strength jumping and most important pace!

if anyone still's reads this small team thread please try and give me some ideas potential purchases etc your help will be appreciated as i think i might need it.

i'll keep you all updated with my progress!

Hey xonnk/glynnbob,

Finally some long overdue success to report. After spending many hours trawling through the various tactic threads I finally found a tactic I wanted to use to start up a Col Utd game.

First season - P46 W29 D14 L3 - Total Points 101 (finished 2nd behind Leeds on 108 points). Nearest team behind me was Millwall with 86 points.

Players in:-

Dalibor Volas - Maribor £190k SC

Mitja Viler - Koper £45k ML

Gael Kakuta - Chelsea (loan) Chelsea my parent club AMLC

Aleksander Rajcevic - Koper £130k DRC

Dejan Urbanc - Celje £85k DM/MC

Sasa Bakaric - Celje £85k AMR/F

Simon Pontdeme - Chamois £30k GK

Michael Tonge - Sheff Utd Free MLC

Anthony Gardner - Hull Free DLC

Kris Commons - Derby Free AMRLC

Vedran Vinko - Nafta £95k SC

Current Line up:-

GK - Simon Pontdeme

DR - Phil Ifil

DL - John White

DC - Anthony Gardner

DC - Aleksander Rajcevic

ML - Mitja Viler or Kris Commons

MR - Mark Yeates

MC - Michael Tonge or Johnnie Jackson

MC - Dejan Urbanc

FC - Dalibor Volas

FC - Vedran Vinko or Sunday Akanni Wasiu <-----(scored 18goals in first season!)

Currently have £759k to spend - any suggestions on cheap improvements that will help me in the championship. Somehow got a funny feeling that I'm going to be the whipping boys of this league if im not careful!

How much of a transfer budget have you been given?

was given 8.5 million but managed to get 8million in the red!!

bought a load of players in but i am hoping to recoup some of that as the season wears on. im just hoping and praying i can finish 17th this year. looking to offload some of my slovak/slovenia players as the ones i have signed are mainly youngish english players.

im probably going to play matts 4-4-2 defensive all season unless it looks like a match i can win!!

any tips xonnk? don't really expect uefa football this year!

My only tip would be, don't get disillusioned with life when getting beaten by 5 goals against the top teams lol, that hit me often.

On the other side, i didn't find Fiorentina much fun, and after playing about 5 games into the season, i got the crash dumps crap and i hadn't saved it since pre-season, which made me really really mad. I just couldn't replay those months again!

So i decided to make a new game, fresh one, i was going to take Inter, as i haven't managed them yet this FM except in demo, but at the last minute i decided i will take Ajax!

Boy are they full of young talent! Their medium age is 20 lol, and many many talents who i expect to become at least good footballers, even up to world-class!

In addition to those, here's a screenshot to see my transfers, all cheap young talents:

ajaxteam.jpg

David is the defender i bought for 20 milion after a few years with Colchester!

Soares becoems a top brazilian striker soon, just like Keirrison who this forum is very familiar with.

Cabral seemed like a great defender with a lot of potention, just like Edinho who i had in my Napoli game, and he is impressive.

Lewandowski, you all know! :D

And finaly, that guy Smits was recommended to me by my scouts and i was impressed with him, only 16 and a lot of potential!

I expect these new players to be worth a combined 200 milion in no longer than 2 years.

Diakite, Vasiev and Franchini were players i was really happy with in my Colch game, so i decided i want them again, at a much reduced price too.

UPDATE 1 - After gaining promotion to the Championship, I decided I needed to bring in a few new faces if I'm likely to finish in a respectable league position, and managed to pick up American full back Chance Myers for a small fee, along with Anthony Gardner from Hull for free, a Slovenia left midfielder called Miha Novak for next to nothing and right midfielder Marvin Angulo Borbon and goalkeeper Keylor Navas from Costa Rica.

I was expecting a hard fought first season in the Championship and started brightly with some impressive results against teams that should really 'wipe the floor with me'. I was hovering in and around the play-offs for most of the season but a dip in form combined with several injuries to key players and I started to slip further down the table. Final position - a respectable but disappointing 16th place.

Key players were Dalibor Volas who bagged 17 goals in 43 starts and midfielder Johnnie Jackson who scored some crucial goals throughout the season. Goalkeeper Keylor Navas was ever present and was also a match winner on his day.

Will post a further update on my second season in the Championship shortly

UPDATE 2 - After the respectable final position of 16th place the following players were purchased before pre-season.

Marton Fulop - GK - Free

Matthew Kilgallon - DC - Free

Stephane Jabbie - DL - Free

Damien Plessis - DMC - Free

Mehmet Ekici - AMC - Free

Erik Grendel - AMRL - Free

Daryl Murphy - FC - £190K

David Gigliotti - SC - Free

I also wanted to loan a few quality Chelsea fringe players but everyone rejected my approaches unfortunately.

A fantastic start to the new season saw impressive wins against bigger clubs and we were currently laying in 3rd place after 25 games. Gigliotti was the star buy this season and forged a formidable strike partnership with Volas. Kilgallon was a rock at the heart of my defence with Anthony Gardner all season and I can't believe his previous club just let him go on a free. Their loss and my gain!

Marton Fulop probably had the season of his life and saved my ars* on numerous occasions with man of the match performances and vital penalty saves. Ekici and Plessis also had good seasons with many of Europes elite wanting to sign them.

As the season drew to a close we finished in a fantastic 4th position and now had to get past Wolves in the playoff semi final. The first leg was at their place and despite going up 2-0 by half time, Wolves came back strong to beat us with 4 quick goals in the second half and a late another late goal by Volas - Lost 4-3.

Second leg - Colchester go 1-0 up thanks to Volas and thats how it stayed with the match going to a nervy penalty shoot out where I had to leave the room! Came back 5 minutes to find we won the shoot out and now have to play the game of our lives against old enemy Leeds Utd - I hate Leeds on this game as they are like the lower level of Arsenal and seem to thrash everyone who stands in their way.

Playoff Final - Leeds start strong and are 1-0 up by half time with Beckford scoring. Colchester hit back in the second half with quick goals from Volas and Gigliotti to secure our route to the premiership. Up the U's!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Such a great thread for guys. Have just discovered it whilst on my lunch at work, so will be reading through when I get home this evening!

I am currently playing as the U's, and just finished my first season, missing the playoffs by two points, a frustrating end to a frustrating season.

Good to know there are other players who enjoy the challenge of Colchester. I will continue to post updates on my colchester career

Well, Diego Tristan turned out to be a waste of my 'limited' wage budget.

However, on the other hand, I'm currently 5th in my 2nd season with the U's in league one, 3 games remaining and 4 points of the leaders. Just secured my playoff place.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, i am in the 2025/2026 season, and have managed Braintree from the start of the game to this point. I managed to win everything with Braintree for about 6 years running, so i wanted a new challenge, the Colchester job was free so i thought why not!

They were in League 2, and had recently been promoted from the Blue Square Premier, they had a real fall from grace!

After 10 games, we are top of the league and looking good! I will put some screenies up at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm still on my Colchester game, now in the 2021/22 season. Have turned the U's into a stabble mid-table Premeir league team. Have got 28m in the bank and a budget of 14m to spend. The stadium has been expanded to 29000 seats.

Anyone still playing as Col U?

Well, i mentioned i had taken over at Colchester, took me a lot longer to complete this season than normal, kinda stopped playing the game a little, anyway, here is how my first season ended up as manager at the U's.

Media Prediction was a 12th place finish.

leagued.jpg

Archived