Make all new-build stadiums 'bowl shape' by default.

dewhirst

Stadiums have been a bug-bear for me for a very long time. I generally accept the notion that SI are limited in their stadium design by copyright. However, recently I noticed something when playing in Europe that made me think that SI can make improvements without changing anything in the design itself.

Here is a 32,000-seater stadium used by a team in Sweden built in 2013. It is built like an 'arena' with stands consistently all the way around. There is a huge chunk of the roof missing, but we'll just let that fly. Some fans gonna get wet, but it's all good. 

780073876_Screenshot2021-12-12at15_47_49.thumb.png.4f56789328402df2646f29c40c4030b4.png

Now here is my brand new stadium, with a similar capacity (35k). There are two giant buildings in the corner stands meaning that i'll never be able to build there, and I don't have any corner stands despite it being a modern stadium.

636592784_Screenshot2021-12-12at15_42_15.thumb.png.5f94b31956a72c93ccaf41457d514bfb.png

My suggestion is that SI use the 'bowl' stadium type for all new-build stadiums over a certain capacity. This is because all modern stadiums have corner stands, at least in the Premier League.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, dewhirst said:

There is a huge chunk of the roof missing, but we'll just let that fly. Some fans gonna get wet, but it's all good. 

I don`t think there is a huge chunk of the roof missing. The roof is just not showing or else it will obstruct the view of the pitch.

But i totally agree with you about the need for stadium improvements, and i have posted about this several times. I also get the impression that SI are working on this.

There are many ways to improve the stadium graphics without copying the real stadiums like in FIFA. The example you bring up is the most important: no brand new stadiums with a large capacity should be built without the corners filled in.
The different stands could also be more asymmetrical. There are not many stadiums with oval shapes and it seems like all the stands have the same height as well. 

Wind screens/walls could be added to the stands. Now there are just huge openings in the corners.

The strange itmes in the corners must be removed or changed. Ambulances that are closed in by brick walls, shipping containers etc. does not add to the immersion of the game.

Really hoping that the match day graphics/stadiums is the number 1 priority for FM23 :)

3 hours ago, Robbie Hood said:

I don`t think there is a huge chunk of the roof missing. The roof is just not showing or else it will obstruct the view of the pitch.

Ahhh, yes. That would make sense! Haha!

Thanks for backing up my request! It's something that really annoys me (especially the lack of corner stands).

4 hours ago, dewhirst said:

Ahhh, yes. That would make sense! Haha!

Thanks for backing up my request! It's something that really annoys me (especially the lack of corner stands).

FM22 is a great game, and that is why i feel there is so much more potential if only the "simple" graphics can be upgraded.

I am not talking about the match engine and player movements - there are improvements every year with more realistic movements. The "simple" graphics are the stadiums and surroundings. 

The game is great with it`s complexity in the match engine, AI, database, transfer, dynamics, data hub etc. So i just can`t understand why they let the stadium graphics slip like this. Look at these huge tunnels! Who would design a stadium like this in real life?

Tunnels.thumb.png.be03c3e406588881b4f6d27eec812ac4.png

Edited by Robbie Hood

Agreed 100%. The stadium design in general has been lacking in a long time. Every new release I pray for an improvement on that side of things. Some of the design choices are baffling, and ruin the immersion to the game. I understand that they might have issues replicating real-life stadiums in game, but at least have the stadiums make sense from a structural point of view. When you get a new stadium without corner stands and you increase the capacity, the sides just get higher and higher. I can only imagine the lawsuits when someone inevitably falls off one of the sides haha.

• 2 months later...