'The Special One' Challenge

After enjoying some of the challenges posted on this forum for quite some time – special shout out to The Ultimate Football Manager Challenge by @vikeologist – I started thinking about setting up a challenge myself. Inspired by @Mark_w‘s 5,000-1 Challenge and the Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge, I started thinking about who’s success I would like to try and emulate. I decided on none other than one of the most successful managers to date, the # 3 in the Hall of Fame at the start of the 2021/2022 season…

image.png.3e07c8677ef2d9cbe6886253f343c69b.png

Introducing:

‘The Special One’ Challenge

Dates below are based on FM22 ; if you play an older version, simply subtract 1 or more years depending on your version.

You will start your career in Portugal on the 23rd of January 2022. After ‘holidaying’ to that date, you take over the lowest positioned of the ‘big 3’ in Portugal: Sporting Club de Portugal, FC Porto or Benfica. After 2 ½ seasons, your career will take you to England where you’ll take over the #2 of the 2023/2024 season. After spending 4 season in charge, you’ll move to Italy, where you’ll take over the reigning Champions of the 2027/2028 season. Here you’ll only have 2 seasons to gather some trophies before moving to Spain, taking over the #2 of the 2029/2030 season.

After 3 seasons in Spain you’re starting to miss England, so you’ll move back to the club you’ve managed previously, joining them for another spell that will last 3 seasons. After those seasons you’ll move on to the #5 in England of the 2035-2036 season, where you’ll have 3 seasons to gather some trophies. For you final spell you’ll transfer to the #14 of the 2038-2039 season where you’ll spend your final 2 seasons before this challenge comes to an end.

You can ofcourse calculate the points yourself (points system is detailed below), but I’ve also created an Excel-file in which you can easily track your points. Simply fill in all the BLUE cells on the ‘Career’-sheet as you go along and your points will automatically be calculated on the ‘Points’-sheet. I’ve put all Mourinho’s stats on the ‘Career’-sheet as well to serve as an example, so you can see how it should be filled out.

Mourinho scored 12.500 points according to this system ; can you beat him?

Rules:

• -        Database: I suggest including at least England, Italy, Spain and Portugal, as these will be the nations you’re playing in. The rest is up to you.
  • -        Your choice of manager age, nationality and language skills is free. You can emulate Mourinho or play as yourself.
  • -        Badges: Continental Pro Licence (Mourinho has a degree in Sports Science when he starts at Porto and a wide range of experience under Robson)
  • -        Playing Experience: Professional Footballer (National Level) – Mourinho played approx. 100 professional games in Portugal.
  • -        Holiday until the 23rd of January and take over the lowest of these three clubs: FC Porto, Sporting Club de Portugal or Benfica.
  • -        When switching jobs, using the In-Game Editor is allowed. I would suggest leaving the club you’re currently with and then employing yourself at the new club.

Points System

Trophies:

Trophy

Points per Trophy

Jose Mourinho

League Title

National Cup

National Supercup

Europa League

Champions League

European Supercup

Bonus Objectives:

I.                 Win the European Supercup (1st time only) – 500 points

The only prize Mourinho didn’t win

II.               Winning the Europe League with the 1st team – 250 points

A special thing to win the Europa League with the first team

III.              Winning the Champions League with the 1st team – 750 points

Another bizarre feat, winning the Champions League with a Portuguese team

IV.             Winning a ‘treble’ (including a continental cup) – 250 points per ‘treble’

Mourinho has won 4 trebles, quite the achievement being good on multiple stages in one season

World Records:

Mourinho has 3 world records on his name, so I’ve decided to incorporate those in the challenge as well:

V.               Lowest goals conceded in one full Premier League Season – 15 goals

Obtained in the title winning 2004/2005 season at Chelsea

VI.             Most games unbeaten at home in one run in the Premier League – 77 games

Started on 15-08-2004 in charge of Chelsea and ending on 19-04-2014 whilst on his 2nd spell at Chelsea

VII.            Longest unbeaten home run for a manager – 9 years, 1 month and 10 days

This is where it gets insane. This run started on 23-02-2002, in charge of Porto, and ended on 02-04-2011 whilst in charge of Real Madrid.

For these last three, I’ve put together this scoring chart:

Step

V – 500 pts x step

VI – 200 pts x step

VII – 400 pts x step

Goals Conceded in one Premier League season

Unbeaten Home Run in Premier League

Unbeaten Home Run (in years & months)

21-99

0 – 16

0 – 2

16-20