[FM21] Another FM 21 first! I successfully created a 1,024 team international club tournament!

FM21_Scout

If you saw my thread here, I figured out how to create competitions that could recognize each other in the same database here:

I said in the thread that I wasn't sure if I knew all of the powers this trick had, but I got a taste of another one today. I could not get any competition created that was above 128 teams, even though you should be able to create 256 and 512 team competitions. After wasting a day, I decided to give my new technique a shot. Instead of 512 teams in one single comp, I split 1024 teams in 8 divisions of 128 teams. After all, that's what a tournament bracket looks like anyway, right?

So here's my World Football Challenge. I split it up into Groups A-H. I then created a separate tournament called the World Football Challenge Playoffs. I pulled the 8 winners from Tournament Groups A-H and put them in a single tournament. As I said, it's no different than a 1,024 single tournament, but since the game won't allow it, I just named it differently and it worked.

The trick is to make all 8 groups and the playoffs at the same time in basic and then international rules. Set up the dates and times. Verify all of these then go to advanced rules, where you can fill in the teams. Verify again and you should be good to go! Pictures and a save file to come soon!

By the way, I do not believe 1,024 is the limit here. I don't know what the limit is for adding competitions, but my guess is that this could easily become a 10,000 team tournament.

World Football Challenge Groups v1.3b.fmf

Edited by FM21_Scout

I attached a picture of how it works.

I didn't want any teams to enter twice, so the only way I could think of how to do that was to create brackets essentially. The good thing is that each set of teams is set to "best teams", so the best teams in the Bundesliga 2 for instance will likely be different from year to year, so it won't be the same exact tournament each time out. I used the whole top divisions for some leagues just because I wanted those teams in the tournament.

The first year in 2020 went a lot how you would expect.  All first league teams from big soccer countries made it to the playoffs. The furthest smaller teams seemed to make it was the round where 64 teams were left with Sydney FC and FK Zalgiris of Lithuania in Group E. Beroe of Bulgaria also knocked out AC Milan in the round of 64.

WFC6.png

WFC7.png

Edited by FM21_Scout

You could set it in such a way (just an example) where you go from national level cup to regional level cup to continental level cup, all the while jumping from competition to competiton. The only think to keep in mind when making it bigger is the planning and dates really.

If you remove the competition (extreme example) you could potentially put every team from the database in a cup.

• 4 months later...