Settling On A Playing Style For Arsenal With 2021/2022 Squad

Hi everyone

Ive been thinking ahead to FM22 and Arsenal seem like a good transitional project. I think they are underachieving, but even if they were playing to their maximum miles away from challenging at the top where they should be.

I like to play the game what id call "realistically"....by that i mean not making sweeping changes immediately, starting the season with their actual team (probably with transfer windows turned off) and by not looking to constantly sign unheard of wonderkids from the other side of the world immediately.

But with their current squad, ive no idea what system or tactics would suit their current players?

We dont know what attributes their players will have yet, but i cant really see an "philosophy" behind who they have within the squad. 

The signing of Odegaard would suggest looking to play with a number 10, but they went into the game vs man city playing with 3 at the back and I think going into a game with only 2 central midfielders, none of which seem to have good defensive positioning, anticipation, marking etc.

They played Aubameyang off the left quite a bit last season and that didnt work well.

They have an abundance of wide options but all very similar.

Just a bit confused about the style youd go with and open to ideas

Thanks

I don't know if hopes for a good season at Arsenal should be that high. You look at their defence and don't see any big names. None of those players are top10 on the league (maybe except for Tierney at LB?). Even for the most defensive midfielder they only have one option and it's Xhaka (Elneny and Partey are more forward thinking - although with everybody fit, I would pick Partey). So it's difficult to build a team when defence it's not up to standard... Best style for them? Probably defend in numbers (5-4-1 or something similar) and then hit on the counter as they have fast players upfront (Pepe, Laca, Auba, Martinelli, Saka,...)

20 minutes ago, lfds89 said:

I don't know if hopes for a good season at Arsenal should be that high. You look at their defence and don't see any big names. None of those players are top10 on the league (maybe except for Tierney at LB?). Even for the most defensive midfielder they only have one option and it's Xhaka (Elneny and Partey are more forward thinking - although with everybody fit, I would pick Partey). So it's difficult to build a team when defence it's not up to standard... Best style for them? Probably defend in numbers (5-4-1 or something similar) and then hit on the counter as they have fast players upfront (Pepe, Laca, Auba, Martinelli, Saka,...)

Thanks for the feedback!

How would you go about setting that up with players and roles?

Depending on whether Bellarin stays or goes you have in game a good starting back four albeit two are injury prone. They are all set to play out from the back IMO and because of the deficiencies in the heading department with players like Ben white a high line iwould be important for me. What I like to do with my high line is offset the negatives to it by making my home pitch shorter. Normally around the 100 meters mark which means you have less space at home for the opposition to run in to behind your players.

Just from what you have seen on this years version how do you see the formation and style that you would like to implement with that save.

Em 31/08/2021 em 00:15, Lesterfan_Cambiasso disse:

Thanks for the feedback!

How would you go about setting that up with players and roles?

Never tried to play it that way but you can find some threads here with hoofball/direct/catenaccio guides/experiments.

Ok, I've had a bit of a stare at Arsenal on a new save. Note I do have sortitoutsi's data updates loaded so the very latest squad is in there. 

You have no quality in centre mid as you mentioned elsewhere & wingers/lhs is a strength. Your chances of possession football being successful are pretty slim with that squad so I would set up a counter attack 4-2-3-1 system with an overload down the LHS to make the most of Tierney/Aubameyang. 

GK - SKD/S

RB - FBS

RCB - BPD (White, if he's not playing then CD) 

LCB - CD

LB - WBS/WBA/FBA (Tierney)

LDMC - DMS (To cover Tierney & cover the lhs channel)

RCM - BWMS/B2B - Partey

RW - WA (Pure counter attack role, far post finisher)

AMC - APS/APA/Treq (Odegaard/Smith Rowe) - If oppo are playing a static DM do not use a APS, use APA/Treq. 

LW - IWS - (To allow the LB overload/lap & engage with AMC)

CF - DLFA/PFA

Positive Mentality, Focus Play Down the Left, Be More Disciplined (To help you keep a semblance of structure, very important for Arsenal!!!), Regroup, Counter, Distribute Quickly, Force Oppo Outside (Again to help with structure) Lines higher or standard, your choice, high pressing (not the very highest). 

Edited by YAMS

1 hour ago, YAMS said:

Ok, I've had a bit of a stare at Arsenal on a new save. Note I do have sortitoutsi's data updates loaded so the very latest squad is in there. 

You have no quality in centre mid as you mentioned elsewhere & wingers/lhs is a strength. Your chances of possession football being successful are pretty slim with that squad so I would set up a counter attack 4-2-3-1 system with an overload down the LHS to make the most of Tierney/Aubameyang. 

GK - SKD/S

RB - FBS

RCB - BPD (White, if he's not playing then CD) 

LCB - CD

LB - WBS/WBA/FBA (Tierney)

LDMC - DMS (To cover Tierney & cover the lhs channel)

RCM - BWMS/B2B - Partey

RW - WA (Pure counter attack role, far post finisher)

AMC - APS/APA/Treq (Odegaard/Smith Rowe) - If oppo are playing a static DM do not use a APS, use APA/Treq. 

LW - IWS - (To allow the LB overload/lap & engage with AMC)

CF - DLFA/PFA

Positive Mentality, Focus Play Down the Left, Be More Disciplined (To help you keep a semblance of structure, very important for Arsenal!!!), Regroup, Counter, Distribute Quickly, Force Oppo Outside (Again to help with structure) Lines higher or standard, your choice, high pressing (not the very highest). 

Im assuming the player data is from FM21..... but do Lokonga and Tavares look any good?

8 minutes ago, Lesterfan_Cambiasso said:

Im assuming the player data is from FM21..... but do Lokonga and Tavares look any good?

Lokonga looks better, he's a wonderkid and more ready. Still 1-2 years off starting though I'd say, even in Arsenal's centre mid. The team is crying out for a DLP next to Partey, someone like Neves in the attacking transition would be perfect.