Need help with tactic 4-2-4 possession/attacking - Can't beat the bigger teams in prem

Hi guys 

I've been doing really well with this system, however this current season its not been as effective defensively. Just wondering if there are any suggestions you could make to help me stop conceding so many goals, I've tried lowering both lines but that doesn't really do anything.

Cheers

20210726144932_1.jpg

Lowering the lines can only help so much - it's still a very aggressive formation by nature, and your choice of mentality, roles and duties makes it even more aggressive. 

Both wingback push up high, the RPM roams and leaves the center - who's holding position in case your attack breaks down? With the current set up it's basically down to both CBs and no one else. 

Edited by Chris2509

5 hours ago, nathwiggy said:

@Chris2509 so what do you suggest mate?

A good start would be - 

1. Turn the WB-S into FB-S/D

2. Turn the RPM into CM-D / BWM-D

3. Revert to standard lines and pressing 

However, my best suggestion would be to read this first:

Edited by Chris2509

2 hours ago, nathwiggy said:

help me stop conceding so many goals

A 4-2-4 formation is quite aggressive by its nature, i think thats clear. However, you can still do something about being more solid. I want to point out two things that come at me straight.

With an attacking mentality, your players will move up the pitch when in possession quite aggressively, which can expose you against quick counter attacks as your players will be out of position and take longer to recover into their defensive shape. More important tho is your distribution of roles and duties. To understand best is to look at where your team is naturally exposed. I've marked all areas for natural exposure by your formation and settings

image.png.af556cc39c16160657db542b98a752c7.png

1. There is noone to really cover for the space between midfield and defense. The DLP is trying to stay behind the ball, tho with a support duty it might not be enough to really cover that area. So i would proberbly make him a defend duty to cover for the right side of the pitch and between the lines or change is role.
  2. A WB will move forward aggressively, so your flanks will be exposed especially for counterattacks. I would suggest making the (2)WB a FB(s) to cover for the left side of the pitch
  3. This area can remain somewhat exposed as its covered by your holding midfielder. If you want to, you could even be more aggressive with the WB's role/duty
  4. With a much higher Defensive line the area behind your defensive is naturally exposed. The only thing you could do about it is looking for a more aggressive SK or lowering it. However, i would only lower the life if the other team is playing over your top. Also its the only area left to be exposed after the changes i suggested.

Anyway, only go for these changes if you feel like your team is underperforming. if everything is going well, just keep your current state. Also have a close look at how those changes may affect your attacking play.

Edited by CARRERA