How can I add more defensive stability to this tactic?

This tactic has been working really well for me when a team is already in a division even taking the ones expected to finish near the bottom of the table and being a playoff at least making team, but doesn't work well after promotions, which role / shape changes would you recommend.

Screenshot_20210612-235510.png

How can I add more defensive stability to this tactic?

1, by better compactness = a bit less distance between D-line and LOE

2. by a bit less aggressive manner of defending (normal pressing instead of more urgent and/or removing the Prevent GKD)

3. by adding a bit more attacking penetration (because defensive issues can also be caused by attacking weaknesses, as well as the other way around)

4. by improving tactical balance on both flanks/sides of your setup, both attacking and defense-wise (your left flank is not optimally protected defensively, while on the right there is a lack of wide attacking support)

4. by not insisting on playing out of defence at all costs (especially if you are an underdog)

5. by not insisting on counter-press

6. by making central midfield more defensively stable in terms of role/duty selection (as well as making sure that both players in these 2 positions have good defense-related attributes)

7. by removing contradictions from your tactic (for example, you use 2 playmaker roles one behind the other and both on support duty, which is a very possession-minded approach, but at the same time you use an anti-possession TI such as hit early crosses)

Always keep in mind that the setup of roles and duties is the key element of any tactic. If you fail in that area, no instructions are likely to help.

57 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

1, by better compactness = a bit less distance between D-line and LOE

2. by a bit less aggressive manner of defending (normal pressing instead of more urgent and/or removing the Prevent GKD)

3. by adding a bit more attacking penetration (because defensive issues can also be caused by attacking weaknesses, as well as the other way around)

4. by improving tactical balance on both flanks/sides of your setup, both attacking and defense-wise (your left flank is not optimally protected defensively, while on the right there is a lack of wide attacking support)

4. by not insisting on playing out of defence at all costs (especially if you are an underdog)

5. by not insisting on counter-press

6. by making central midfield more defensively stable in terms of role/duty selection (as well as making sure that both players in these 2 positions have good defense-related attributes)

7. by removing contradictions from your tactic (for example, you use 2 playmaker roles one behind the other and both on support duty, which is a very possession-minded approach, but at the same time you use an anti-possession TI such as hit early crosses)

Always keep in mind that the setup of roles and duties is the key element of any tactic. If you fail in that area, no instructions are likely to help.

Well I switched some roles around and steeled on this it has worked well so far as I won the league with the team expected to finish 22-nd, thoughts on this?

Lower Leagues new.png

39 minutes ago, trueblue9877 said:

thoughts on this?

I don't see any meaningful difference compared to the first tactic, except that you now have a defend duty in the midfield. But you failed to address any of the other (potential) issues I listed.

However, if the tactic has worked for you so far, then stick to it and enjoy :thup: