Save Game Failed - This game could not be saved

I've had this a few times, if it is the same issue, it is because there's too many files in the cloud server for that particular save. 

I get around this by deleting one of the oldest backups and then resaving and this always works. 

I have the same issue, just seems to have started today, I don't have a large number of old saves as it only holds 3 on a rolling basis so I doubt that is the issue for me. 

• SI Staff

Hey guys. 

Thanks for taking the time to post about this issue. 
We are aware of this issue and are currently looking into it. 
Apologies for any inconvenience caused. 

Thanks, if it helps I just loaded up the game on my Xbox Series S and the file loaded fine and also saved without issue. I tried uninstalling the game on my pc, also turning off anti-virus but the problem persists. 

• Administrators

Yeah we've been able to confirm that if you save on a hard drive different to where the game is installed (so for instance if the game is installed on C:, then save the game on D:) that it will work as a workaround.

We're very much working on addressing this issue with an update, but for those of you with secondary drives this is a workaround to allow you to play in the meantime.

Appreciate your patience as we deal with this situation. Thanks.

8 hours ago, LeMezier said:

Thanks, if it helps I just loaded up the game on my Xbox Series S and the file loaded fine and also saved without issue. I tried uninstalling the game on my pc, also turning off anti-virus but the problem persists. 

Yeah same bro. Tried uninstalling this morning, then reinstalled it. No change. Guess we'll just have to wait for the update. I'm still on X. How's the Series S...

5 hours ago, BlackLiimo said:

Yeah same bro. Tried uninstalling this morning, then reinstalled it. No change. Guess we'll just have to wait for the update. I'm still on X. How's the Series S...

I'm going to try the save file location suggestion above though weirdly when I scan my drives for my saves none of them seem to exist on my pc, even though the game seems to be installed on my c: drive, the save folder is empty. The Series S is good for office gaming, I play quick fix games like RDR2 and GTA5 on it and the Series X takes centre stage in the living room. I was a PS fan-boy but lack of availability and the joy of Gamepass + crossover into PC gaming have fully swung me into the sweet embrace of Sir Philip Spencer. 

Was having the same issue, what worked for me is going to the Sports Interactive documents folder where all the saves etc are located and cutting the contents of that folder to a file on my desktop. I then launched the game and it seemed to work and I could save. Around half of my saves had a file size of 2MB and no longer worked after copying them back into the folder, but half of them still work and the game at least runs now. I wonder if the saves that don't work are the saves I tried to save onto when the game was having the issue? Either way, this worked for me.