Training: Iron out kinks or focus on strengths?

Something I've often wondered when it comes to player development is whether it is better to get strong attributes to be even stronger, letting weak attributes stay as they are or decline or to make players more well rounded by training their weaknesses.

Obviously it depends on a lot of things like how you want your team to play. Do you want your striker to be pressing and coming deep? Maybe he should work on passing, tackling or positioning sometimes, at the cost of improving finishing or first touch. Do you want your striker to just focus on goals? Train him on being a Poacher and forget any attributes which bring others into play.

Sometimes I work on defensive attributes for central midfielders but I wonder if I had let them just focus on passing, moving, shooting and their physical attributes, how much higher could I have taken them?  Maybe they could have been exceptional rather than just well rounded and above average. Say he starts off on 8 or 9 marking, tackling, positioning, maybe the defensive part of his game would improve enough to be an acceptable 11 or 12 in the end anyway? Do I want a good but not great at everything Jordan Henderson or do I want world class at some things but awful at others players like Juan Mata?

How do you approach this decision? What do you think is best?

Edited by Domus Clamantium

You answered it yourself, It will depend on what you want that player to do. If you want him to make tackles then you have to work on his defensive attributes and if you don't care about him defending then you can focus elsewhere 

It depends on which style of football you are asking them to play.

Total football? Makes sense for them to be well rounded.

Counter attack? Need them to be pacy and clinical.

Possession? Good passing and composure.

Once you have a basic idea of how you want your team to play, you should know how you are going to train them.