Playing Against Better Teams

Hi all,

Avid reader and occasional poster in here!

I started unemployed and (somehow) managed to get the Aberdeen job in December. Things are going pretty well and I've got them up to 4th from 10th. My first tactic is below, and works well against the majority of teams in the SPL:

Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 21.40.03.png

I'm after some help and advice for what I should do when playing against bigger and better teams, i.e. Rangers & Celtic. I've tried keeping the same tactic, and tried a slightly tweaked more conservative 2nd tactic below, but we just always get overrun and last time v Celtic didn't even register 1 shot in the whole match.

Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 21.46.00.png

Is it just that Rangers & Celtic are so much better than us that we've got no chance? Or is something glaringly wrong in how I'm approaching the matches?

Edited by TimEdwins7

Lowering the mentality itself does not improve defensive solidity. That's the first thing you need to keep in mind regarding the tactic against stronger opposition. 

48 minutes ago, TimEdwins7 said:

Things are going pretty well and I've got them up to 4th from 10th

If your main tactic works so well, then better don't experiment (too much). After all, losing to (considerably) stronger teams is not something you should be too concerned about. As long as you are not losing against weak ones.

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

Lowering the mentality itself does not improve defensive solidity. That's the first thing you need to keep in mind regarding the tactic against stronger opposition. 

If your main tactic works so well, then better don't experiment (too much). After all, losing to (considerably) stronger teams is not something you should be too concerned about. As long as you are not losing against weak ones.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I guess on paper we aren't expected to beat Celtic or Rangers. But it would just be nice to actually be in the game and at least compete against them.