[FM21] A Canadian's Worldwide Journey

PatrickReynolds

I have been posting updates in the FM21 Realism Thread, but have been enjoying writing and don't want to bog down the discussion with longer and longer save updates! 

The Save: After consulting @Daveincid's work on setting up an optimal database, and @Brother Ben's performance benchmarking thread, I decided that my setup could handle loading all leagues as playable, with a number of them simulated in full detail. Perfect for the worldwide journeyman I've been craving. 

Starting with zero badges and Sunday League experience, I created my manager as the Canadian I am, expecting to have to jet off to far reaches of the world to earn my stripes before getting a real job with any decent salary. 

493075115_FirstJobattributes.thumb.PNG.77254aab9613346a42547aa9b86e69c1.PNG

How wrong I was! Apparently a Canadian with zero experience can walk on and get the job with FC Edmonton. Yes, they're predicted to be terrible in the Canadian Premier League, but apparently there was no one better for the job! I suppose the rest of the world still looks down on Canadian soccer (Phonsie's on a mission to change that perception) and wouldn't be giving anyone unproven a shot, so I'll take it and see where we go! $57K a year is real money too, guess I won't need to be eating beans and rice to start. 

As a Canadian, I wanted to manage in the CPL at some point during my save, but didn't think it would be the first league! Time to build some experience at home before jet setting off to some international lower division I've never heard of. With a wage budget of about $13K USD/week, it's higher than most lower league starting points, so it's interesting to work with. There are foreign player rules, so I can't go too nuts and need to procure some good Canadian talent as well.

The first season starts with the 'Island Games', which was put in place for COVID this past summer, with all games being played at a neutral bubble site at the University of Prince Edward Island (smallest province in Canada, on the Atlantic). I took over the team 2 days before our first match, and finished last in the league (4 pts in 7 games), and did not qualify for the next stage.

1233889912_IslandGames.thumb.PNG.54319905cb7e8d6407ec9557fb48761a.PNG

The offseason now lasts from September 2020 to April 2021, so I've done a complete overhaul of the team, and am now working through a LONG 3 month pre-season getting everyone up to shape. FC Edmonton were not a good team, so starting off with a counter-attacking 433 Wide DM formation.

Looking forward to seeing how my team stacks up for the first full real league season, and trying to exceed my Board's expectations to 'finish at the bottom of the table' :D

As previously noted, I took over the job 2 days before our first league game in the 2020 Island Games - a one off weird 7 game tournament hosted at a neutral site due to COVID. Cool that they put that in the game, but the league reverts to normal after the 2020 season. I used the tournament to evaluate my squad, and they didn't (er, did?) disappoint. See above.

Thanks to this short, weird season, FC Edmonton now own the CPL record for least wins in a season, least points and least goals scored. Nice.

The 2020 season finished in September, and the 2021 season wasn't scheduled to start until April 2021. At least I had lots of time to overhaul my squad! Throughout the next 4 months, i conducted many trials (I'd estimate 50 or so, tried not to abuse it as a scouting tool too badly), but most of the decent players wanted ridiculous wages. 

1165702731_FirstTransferwindow.thumb.PNG.51c4bc5b2fbd250cecc3747bf17b4690.PNG

1633699159_Releasedplayers2021.thumb.PNG.f548d50907243563841ce90221b7dd11.PNG

In the end, I completed 10 free transfers in, and released 7 players at the end of their contract, and 1 out on loan. While the turnover may seem high, I consider it completely realistic for the CPL, there is a lot of movement year to year as good players move on to better leagues and there are lots of young talent out there waiting to get their shot. Also true to the spirit of the CPL, of my 10 signings, 9 are Canadian. Throw in an Englishman (Willem Tomlinson) for good measure signed on a free from Mansfield in League 2. He's one of my better players, so that gives you a good benchmark for quality in the CPL. Despite the quality (or lack thereof), I feel like financially the teams in Canada are fairly well off. My wage budget is about $700K USD/year. For those of you that think in GBP/week, that's about ~10K/week.

For my squad DNA, I've been reading Rashidi's books lately and am basing my tactic building (from scratch) largely on duties. Therefore, my primary DNA screen focuses on Off the Ball and Positioning. I need my support duties to be 10+ in both, and focus on OTB values for attack and positioning for defense. Physicals are next most important for me, and additional skill is a luxury!

Pre-season started in January, and some of my players rightly complained they thought Pre-Season started too early this year. Hey, I didn't set the schedule! But, I used the opportunity to play a lot of friendlies and hone my tactics (4-3-3 DM, with a compressed, counter attacking system).

I have finally made it to the first month of the season. The CPL operates like the Mexican league with a Spring and Fall season (14 games each), with the winners of each half meeting in a two legged final for the championship. It's odd.

1623830197_May2021.PNG.8d6e3a053afcc9676 

Almost to the halfway point of the Spring Season and I am sitting near the top of the league on 9 points, but undefeated after alternating draws and wins. The media prediction has me finishing 7th at 250-1 odds, and my 1-0 win over Forge was especially nice as they are favored to win the league (1-3). I also eked out a point against Albertan rivals Cavalry with a 92nd minute equalizer in Al Classico. Things are all going a bit too well, so I'm waiting for the inevitable drop in form once the league figures me out! I'm in the midst of a tough 3 game road trip out east with games in Toronto (0-0 draw @ York9) Ottawa and Halifax. For those keeping score at home, Halifax is a short 4,800 Km (3,000 mi) from Edmonton. 

And yes, Atletico Ottawa is owned by Atletico Madrid. It's only their first season, so not sure what to expect out of them yet.

I've also managed to pick up 2 coaching badges (started with none), another perk of starting in a financially stable league.

I don't know what my reasonable expectations should be at this point, but I was always aiming to overachieve vs projection. The board thinks I'll finish last (this is North America, so there's no relegation), so I guess I'm on track?

Ultimately my goal at FC Edmonton is to win some silverware and get in to continental competition to raise my profile internationally. I'm giving myself a 3-4 season max on that though, as I do want to eventually move abroad and experience the thrill of promotion/relegation that my continent seems unable to have any desire to adopt.

Until next time!

At the last update, my expected bottom table team were punching above their weight in the Spring Season, hanging around the top of the table and staying in the conversation. As the spring season wore on, I started placing more and more emphasis on going for the first half title, as the CPL is split equally into spring and fall seasons (14 games each), with the champions of each half meeting in a two leg championship. Snatching the spring title would take a lot of pressure off the second half knowing I've already qualified for the finals. Self imposed pressure, of course, as the Board still just wants me to finish last...ah the ambition.

148989466_CPLSpringSeason2021.PNG.a8c4c4

A pretty lackluster mid-stretch in early June put me near the top, but chasing my provincial rivals Cavalry FC (projected favorites) based in Calgary. I got well acquainted with Halifax after drawing them in the first round of the Canadian Championships, ultimately crashing out  after continued mediocrity. My boys must have been mad, because they took the final two games of the Spring Season by an aggregate 10-2 scoreline. A nice way to break out of our doldrums and give me some confidence that sticking with my tactic was the right way to go!

We entered the last game of the season 3 points back of Cavalry, on better goal differential and needed a win combined with a Cavalry loss...

1932028455_CPLSpringTableFinal.PNG.b93e1

And boy did they deliver! A 4-1 away thrashing at the hands of my friends at Pacific FC. Champions of the Spring Season! In Canada! Well, it's a start. I will never complain about getting my first silverware after starting unemployed with no badges.

Entering the Fall Season on a high after finishing strong, I've continued my good run. with 4 wins and 1 loss in 5. Particularly happy with the 4-1 win over Cavalry after some pre-match expectations that their new big money signing wingback would be a key player. We torched him for a 5.9 rating and my winger on his side scored a brace. 

1025408264_CPLFallSeason2021.PNG.893007a

I have been playing a mid (low?)-block counter attack system designed with being the underdog in mind. I am not massively giving up possession, so I think the shorter passing encourages my team not to just look for the furthest ball forward. I don't want to play a direct counter attacking style, so have enjoyed this setup so far.

1169330412_CompressedCounterTactic.PNG.5

It is certainly not defensively impenetrable (or my players aren't...), but I am pleased to have success with a non gegenpressing system.

I am currently working my way through the August break (no idea why there are no games in August...), but wanted to provide a proper update. Things are going massively better than what I've expected, and my objective at this point is to win the overall title and qualify for CONCACAF League next season and get some international exposure before looking for my next job. Will be interesting to see what jobs a Canadian can get after some modest success in their domestic league.

And we've reached the end of the 2021 Canadian Premier League Season! Time for an update.

When we left off, we had just kicked off the Fall Season and things were going swimmingly.

The way the CPL is set up, I really had nothing to play for, as my Spring Season victory ensured my qualification to the season ending two legged final. If I did the double and won the fall season, I would still have to play the two legged final against the next best team over the course of the full league. North American sports, you can't make this stuff up. 

My good run of form continued through September, and despite a small slide in October due to fixture congestion and wanting to make sure my starting 11 were fit and ready to go for the final, I walked away with the Fall Season, distancing second place by 7 points (over a 14 game schedule!!)

204412127_FallSeason.PNG.608fb2214583764

78302572_FallTable.PNG.1665c4bfc32382e6d

On to the final! With as well as my team has played, I am now facing some major nerves as we reach the games that really count. Who am I facing? None other than my provincial rivals, Calvalry FC. Scum. A quick look at what my scouts know about their squad, and I'm proper scared, as they do have some serious quality, and have been in the final before. Their new wingback is starting to gel and can really cause me problems on the overlap. 

First leg away, and I'm focused on trying to grab an away goal. We've outscored the league massively, so feel good about my chances.

656198149_FirstLeg.PNG.7797eb2c79353f2f9

Alas, it was not to be. They scored in the 13th minute and while I had chances, never really looked like pulling one back. Cue the nail biting. As expected, I was overrun on my right flank and could find an answer for their wing play, as they owned the highlight reel. It left me searching for answers and my first real managerial crisis where I felt like my decisions really mattered. You gotta love it. 

After devising my tactical counter for their overlaps, I am working my way though the week, when I notice a shocking news story:

2047248973_FootballManager20212021-01-04

Star wingback injured in training and out 4 months! Then, I notice their engine room midfielder that everything goes through picked up his 4 yellow of the competition, ruling him out for the final leg. The FM gods are smiling on me today. They still have some quality, but I'm able to focus some more resources on hopefully shutting them down. 

With away goals in play, I'll need at least a 2-0 result to pull off the comeback on home soil.

1474439007_Secondleg.PNG.2cc2bbe23cba9f5

I am speechless. Canadian Premier League Champions!! This is for real the first championship I have won in FM. Granted, I just started during COVID last year, but hey..

We bossed them from start to finish and I couldn't be prouder of the job my boys did. To win the top league in my native land feels like a fairytale story to kick off my journeyman career, and quite possibly off brand for the FM realism thread/lower league management! I'll promise to write fully about my future failures that I'm sure are just around the corner, but take a moment to appreciate the accomplishment. 

1076164112_MorganOct2021.PNG.8f9a2602260

With my reputation up to 30% and my National B license achieved, I am setting up for one final season with FC Edmonton before hitting the job hunt again. With my Championship win, I am into the North American League Preliminary Round, so will face some continental competition, but with a league win under my belt, I'm ready to use Canada as a launching point for my next job. Who knows what club will have me, but I may consider Wales if the opportunity arises; Morgan is a family name on my Grandmother's side, originating from Wales, so it might make a nice story. But, CPL winning beggars can't be choosers, so we'll see what opportunities arise. 

Time to evaluate the squad and make some tweaks as we set up for continental competition.

• 1 month later...

Unlike my preparation for the 2021 season, 2022 involved much less activity on the transfer market, bringing in 4 players, selling 1 and loaning out 2. Once again, all of my transfers were of the free variety, while I was able to sell the 'promising' young Canadian David Norman to China for $150K the level I expected, and was one of my highest paid players, so to cash in on him and get it off my wage budget was a nice bit of business.829974466_2022Transfers.thumb.PNG.9318ea053af2a33d8769434dcd2917a2.PNG. He never performed to

I was pleased to get two out of contract Canadians playing in the MLS, Jordan Perruzza from Toronto FC and Mastanabal Kacher from Real Salt Lake. Not starters for those clubs, but that's exactly the type of player that could excel in the CPL.

Having won the league in 2021, I focused on solidifying my squad, and think I did an admirable job. Despite that, the media prediction still had me 3rd behind Calvary and Forge. My main motivation for sticking around at FC Edmonton for another year was the North American League, and continental competition. Unfortunately (or fortunately), this doesn't start until the summer, so I was able to completely focus on the Spring League, and with it the automatic CPL Finals qualification available to the winner.

1380223546_CPLSpringResults2022.PNG.358db365ae2a6dcb7f39ca54f45e7f40.PNG

An undefeated spring season, and a 14 point cushion over 14 games. This just expediates my resolve to leave at the end of the season for bigger challenges, as I don't think the AI handles salary cap leagues with restrictive roster rules very well. This does not feel like a big achievement to me.

451448588_CPLSpringTable2022.thumb.PNG.4e3ee551c03361c9f7162368dcf3a5f4.PNG

With finals qualification wrapped up, I did not pay much attention to the league in the second half of the season. My bid for an undefeated season ended unceremoniously in the 5th game of the second half, a 1-0 loss to rivals Cavalry. I placed all my focus on the North American League, where we entered in the Preliminary Round. The top 3 teams in the NAL qualify for the following season Concacaf Champions League.

306559184_NALPrelimandRound1.PNG.344f71e709359d18f55fcffd8bba6416.PNG

Some good away performances in Panama and Honduras led us through our first two rounds and into the NAL Quarter Finals. Back to the 'realism' for a moment, and another issue with this database (base game) is that no central american leagues are loaded or playable, so the only games these teams play are the continental competition. So, form might be a factor.

The Quarter Finals pitted us against Herediano of Costa Rica, who proved just slightly too much to handle.

489977620_NALQF.PNG.0da152584f90cdf4907946cd2a1e6a95.PNG

Our form slipped a bit in the league, and we ended up 2nd in the fall season behind provincial rivals Cavalry, setting up a rematch of the 2021 CPL Finals. The team was led by off season signing Jordan Perruzza with an impressive 21 goals! He came in and stole the striker job from Ongaro, 2021 finals hero and leading scorer in 2021.

Despite the finals coming up at the end of October, I had my eye on the job hunt and was applying for jobs left right and center. I cannot wait to test myself in a different league.

The 2021 finals opened at home, and much to my chagrin, we went down 2-0 early in the home leg. Not good. I was worried our late season form would be our undoing, but we scrambled back to earn a 2-2 draw thanks to a brace from Perruzza.

Perruzza once again opened the scoring in the 9th minute of the return leg, putting us in the pole position. We held on for most of the match, before disaster struck in the 79th minute with a Cavalry equalizer! We needed a goal.

77828883_CPLFinal.PNG.184af5bf073cf03e89d1ce7bb857fdbb.PNG

Erik Zetterberg plays the hero in the 87th minute - Perruzza with the assist and we are back to back champions. Again, doesn't feel like a huge achievement - this league just feels easy at this point. 

Next up, the job hunt!

I wasn't sure where my job hunt would take me, but I wanted to go to Europe. I applied for everything from lower Scottish leagues, very low Swedish leagues to Bundesliga 3. My rejections from the higher Bundesliga 3 teams and English League One/Two seemed to suggest I might be able to find a job at that level. But, deep down, my desire is to really prove myself in some lower leagues before moving further up. As a two time CPL champion, that's probably more realistic than jumping into one of the big 5 lower leagues. They probably wouldn't even know what a CPL is!!

After applying for a plethora of jobs, an interesting challenge presented itself. K Sint-Eloois-Winkel Sport of the Belgian First Amateur Division. I've always heard that Belgium is an interesting country to manage in, and while being semi-pro, the training and youth facilities seem above average for their level.

1494103713_WinkelSport.thumb.PNG.ead5e416b9ad6a62a433714b95ad272a.PNG

They are a team halfway through the season, on terrible form and 5 points adrift at the bottom of the table.1199433242_WinkelSportTablestart.thumb.PNG.e6b3f88e0d9a9dc1da8a91dd158a9731.PNG

0 Wins! These boys need some help.2040261746_FootballManager20212021-02-148_13_34AM.thumb.png.573c46543d688227a41730a64c0afdc2.png

Wish me luck!