4-4-2 easiest formation to overpower

Let's examine 4-4-2. Whenever I came up against 4-4-2 in FM, I naturally felt confident of getting a win against them because 4-4-2 lacks players between the lines like 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Using a couple of appropriate instructions, I could get an advantage over them. For example, if my formation is 4-3-3 against an opposition 4-4-2, I would be choosing roles that naturally comes deep (F9, DLF (S) or (A), CF(S) to create a diamond, which would outnumber two midfield players of 4-4-2 allowing us to keep possession. I will also be using forwards with traits such as (comes deep to get the ball) to create an overload in the midfield. Absence of players between the lines will trouble 4-4-2 by drawing them out of shape, and I will be looking to take advantage of that. With added instructions such as focusing play down the middle, working the ball into the box, attacking width to narrow will allow formation such as 4-2-3-1 & 4-3-3 to dominate 4-4-2. I could also ask goalkeepers to distribute to my playmakers. Giving the hole players more freedom here can be the most productive against 4-4-2. Unless a miracle happens on the pitch, I always smile when I see the opposition manager using 4-4-2 either in a home or away game. If the opposition manager uses 4-4-2 in their away game against us, I always count that we will score 4 or 5 goals using the tactics and instructions I described. Things might be a little challenging for us in an away match, but I am still very optimistic about getting a positive result. What does everyone else thinks about 4-4-2?

442 can be easy to face, or brutal.

Ive had nightmares playing against Simeone's variations of 442 and 4411 on the game.

I usually feel that two striker formations can be an issue on this game to get to grips with too.

Id also say a 442 shape is a very optimal defensive shape for staying compact.

18 minutes ago, FMunderachiever said:

442 can be easy to face, or brutal.

Ive had nightmares playing against Simeone's variations of 442 and 4411 on the game.

I usually feel that two striker formations can be an issue on this game to get to grips with too.

Id also say a 442 shape is a very optimal defensive shape for staying compact.

Yes, it depends on the opposition managers' approach because there is always the risk of getting countered. If you are a good team and have great technical players on the pitch, using the instructions I described can give you the edge over 4-4-2. Sometimes it is more useful to know how each formation behaves and what sort of problem they could present and then making some adjustments to your tactics. Instead of looking at or trying to make perfect tactics, it can be as useful to select a base tactic you are comfortable with then tinkering it game by a game basis depending on how the opposition has lined up. This year's FM is different from last year's, and it is not enough to keep a single tactic without any adjustments all seasons and expect to win all matches. Opposition instructions matter significantly in this year's game when you want to press and be mindful of your player's stamina because they lose it quickly compared to last year.