Where Gladiators Rise (Second Take)

mark wilson27

October 8th: Stockport v Matlock Town

Our sporadic form continued as Stockport controlled the game. They were all over us but luckily for us we didn't concede in the first half.

The second half was much the same as we struggled to get into the game and on the hour we went a goal behind as Bartlett fired in Stockport’s first goal after some very poor defending. Stockport were all over us and they killed the game off on the 83rd minute as Bartlett got his second of the game.

Stockport 2 Bartlett 60, 83

Matlock Town 0

October 12th: Scunthorpe v Matlock Town; Johnstones Paint Trophy North 2nd Round

Scunthorpe started the better as expected and on the 11th minute we came very close to going a goal down as the Scunthorpe attack tested my keeper, Nielsen was well up to the task and managed to block the effort well. They continued to pile forward and luckily for us our keeper was on top form. However on the 37th minute we went into the lead as Sheringham capitalised on an error by the Scunthorpe keeper to slot the ball home. Just before the break the opposition came very close to getting the equaliser but yet again we had Nielsen to thank as he saved brilliantly to block the shot.

The second half was dominated by the Scunthorpe attack and on the 63rd minute we concede the equaliser as Wellens fired in a freekick after Noble fouled stupidly on the edge of the area. Luckily for Noble he didn't get sent off. However my players responded well to the goal and we started to create a few chances and on the 77th minute we went into the lead again as Junior fired in after running onto a Sheringham through ball. Scunthorpe did try to get back into the game but they failed to and we somehow managed to get into the 1/4 final of the trophy

Scunthorpe 1 Wellens 63

Matlock Town 2 Sheringham 37, Junior 77

October 14th: The draw for the 1/4 final of the Johnstones Paint Trophy North has taken place and we will be facing an away tie with Shrewsbury

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

October 15th: Matlock Town v Accrington

Another entertaining game for the fans as both teams went for it and on the 23rd minute Accrington came close to opening the scoring with a rasping effort that Nielsen managed to tip round the post. Six minutes later we went close but the Accrington keeper managed to save the ball from Sheringham’s thunderous effort. It was end to end football and on the 41st minute the first goal was scored as Howell rifled home from ten yards to give us the lead going into the break.

The second half was five minutes old when we doubled our lead as Howell headed in from Owusu's cross. However our two goal lead didn't last long as on the 54th minute we let Accrington back into the game as Hibbert fired in. This seemed to lift the Accrington players and they started to control much of the passing and on the 77th minute we let Accrington get a point as Hibbert fired in his and Accrington’s second of the game.

Matlock Town 2 Howell 41, 50

Accrington 2 Hibbert 54, 77

I was disappointed that we lost a two goal lead when we were in control of the game.

October 22nd: Northampton v Matlock Town

We started very well against high flying Northampton and on the 11th minute we went into the lead as Sheringham fired past the keeper to give us a great start to the game. We continued to pile forward and attack the Northampton defence and on the 24th minute we went a further goal up with Sheringham but the goal was ruled out for offside after he ran just a second too early. On the 39th minute we doubled our lead as Howell fired in to give us a two goal lead going into the break.

The second half was only eight minutes old when we added goal number three as Owusu fired in a cracking freekick after Sheringham was hauled down 25 yards out. We were looking brilliant and on the 69th minute we went further into the lead as Junior headed in to give us a great win over the promotion chasing Northampton.

Northampton 0

Matlock Town 4 Sheringham 11, Howell 39, Owusu 53, Junior 69

October 26th; We have lost Sheringham for a month after injuring his thigh muscle in training

October 29th: Matlock Town v Hartlepool

After the great performance against Northampton we let ourselves down as Hartlepool controlled much of the game and on the 11th minute we went a goal down as Sears fired in for Hartlepool. Ten minutes later we came close to losing another goal as Hartlepool fired towards goal but luckily for us Nielsen managed to block the effort well. It was all one way traffic as the opposition kicked us all over the pitch and just before the half time interval we had the referee to thank as Hartlepool had scored but the ref ruled it out for a foul on Oji.

The second half was much the same as we struggled to get hold of the ball, however we managed to fluke the equaliser as Howell fired in. Hartlepool though piled on the pressure on we managed to hold on till late into the game as Humphreys fired in the winner late into injury time.

Matlock Town 1 Howell 65

Hartlepool 2 Sears 11, Humphreys 90 + 3

October 30th: Today I have decided to release Nightingale and Webster after they weren't in my future plans.

October 31st; The draw for the FA Cup 1st Round has taken place and we will be facing a tough away tie with Notts County

November 3rd: We have lost another player to injury as Alessandra will be missing for up to three weeks after injuring himself in the training room

November 5th; Matlock Town v Wrexham

A dire game as both teams struggled to get going and there was little in the way attacking football and the fans were left with nothing to cheer about

Matlock Town 0

Wrexham 0

November 9th: Hereford v Matlock Town

The perfect start saw us take the lead within a minute as Junior fired in after a poor clearance by the keeper. Ten minutes later we had another chance but we failed to make the chance count this time and the score stayed at 1-0. We were all over Hereford and just before the half hour we had the ball into the net but the assistant referee had his flag raised for offside.

The second half was much the same as we dominated Hereford and on the 51st minute we came very close to scoring again as Junior fired towards goal but his effort was well saved. It was great stuff by my team but we couldn't add to the tally. On the third minute of injury time we conceded the equaliser as Hereford forced there way through the defence and fired in. I was furious with the goal as it was a definite foul from the Hereford attack.

Hereford 1 Morison 90 + 3

Matlock Town 1 Junior 1

November 12th: Notts County v Matlock Town; FA Cup 1st Round

Another good start saw us a goal up on the 6th minute as Junior fired in after breaking clear of the County defence to slot home. We were looking very good as we controlled the County side and on the 19th minute we came close to scoring again as Galbraith headed into the keepers arms. It was one way traffic again and on the half hour we went a further goal up as Junior's shot rattled the upright and Howell followed up to slot home the rebound.

The second half was much the same as we started the better as we controlled the early minutes of the half. However it was County who scored the next goal in the game as Taylor fired in on the 75th minute. Two minutes later we had the chance to get our two goal cushion back but Junior fluffed his effort and we got punished for it as on the 88th minute Mayo fired in to send the game into a replay. Not what I needed

Notts County 2 Junior 6, Howell 30

Matlock Town 2 Taylor 75, Mayo 88

I was furious with my team for letting a two goal advantage go. Not impressed at all and I let my players know that

November 14th; The draw for the next round of the FA Cup sees us facing a possible tie at home with Accrington, that’s if we manage to beat Notts County

November 15th: Shrewsbury v Matlock Town: Johnstones Paint Trophy North 1/4 Final

A terrible start has seen us go a goal down as Symes rifled in virtually straight from kick off. Not the start I wanted and it didn't get any better as on the 14th minute Hall headed in Shrewsbury second of the game and we were sinking without a trace. Shrewsbury were all over us and on the 36th minute they went a further goal up as Cummings fired in from the edge of the area. Yet a minute later we pulled a goal back as Owusu fired in to make it 3-1. My players were looking alittle more in the game and four minutes later we had pulled another goal back as Kuffour fired in after running clear of the defence. At half time I told the players we had a chance of winning the game if we could keep our discipline at the back.

The second half was six minutes old when my players didn't heed my words and we went a further goal down as Barry did the honours for Shrewsbury. The goal seemed to knock the confidence out my players and we were second best to everything and on the 85th minute we lost another goal as Gordan killed the game off and we ended up losing 5-2.

Shrewsbury 5 Symes 1, Hall 14, Cummings 36, Barry 51, Gordan 85

Matlock Town 2 Owusu 37, Kuffour 41

November 19th: Grimsby v Matlock Town

A very poor game for us as we struggled with what should of been an easy game. On the 9th minute we came close to going a goal down but Nielsen denied the Grimsby defence the chance to score. Grimsby finally got the goal they deserved as Kamarna headed in. I wasn't too pleased with the lack of defending my team showed there. Grimsby were all over us and just before the half time interval we came close to going another goal down but yet again Nielsen managed to deny them the goal.

The second half was a mere two minutes old when we went two goals down as Bird headed past my keeper after yet more poor defending by my team. It was getting worse for us as we just couldn't get hold of the ball. Grimsby finally killed the game off on the 72nd minute as Hogg scored a corker to give them a 3-0 victory.

Grimsby 3 Kamarna 22, Bird 47, Hogg 72

Matlock Town 0

November 23rd: Matlock Town v Notts County; FA Cup 1st Round Replay

I told my players I didn't want a repeat of the last time we met when we let a two goal lead slip.

My players did exactly what I told them as we didn't let a lead goal because we never went into the lead and on the 11th minute we went behind with Daley firing in past Nielsen. It didn't get any better as Nine minutes later we went a further goal down as Way ran clear of my defence to slot past the keeper. Our fans were beginning to get on the players backs as my players struggled to get anything from the game and on the 37th minute we went three goals down as Daley add his second goal of the game. At the half time interval I went mad at my players and told them I wanted more from them.

The second half wasn't much better but despite the constant pressure from Notts County we only managed to concede the one goal with Daley completing hat trick on the 69th minute. My players were rightly booed off the pitch at full time and again I was left to apologise for another p*ss poor performance

Matlock Town 0

Notts County 4 Daley 11, 37, 69, Way 20

November 26th: Matlock Town v Oxford

A poor start saw us a goal down within two minutes later as Craney fired in from just inside the area. Two minutes later we went a further goal down as yet again some poor defending saw Howe break clear of my so called defence to slide the ball past the keeper. Two goals down in four minutes and yet again I was furious with my teams lack of defensive capability. It was hard to watch but on the 17th minute we pulled a goal back as Junior fired in from an offside position. Oxford were controlling the game and showed us why they were high in the League. Just before the half time whistle we went a further goal down but luckily for us it was ruled out for offside.

The second half was much as the first as Oxford controlled the ball alot better and my players didn't see much of it, well apart from one of my players Nielsen who was seeing far too much of the ball for my liking. Luckily Nielsen kept us in the game but my front line couldn't do anything to and we ended up losing a third game in a row.

Matlock Town 1 Junior 17

Oxford 2 Craney 2, Howe 4

December 6th: Leyton Orient v Matlock Town

After my teams recent form I told my players I didn't want another rout against this high flying team.

Leyton did however started the better with some great play and on the 17th minute they had the chance to go into the lead as Leyton fired wide of the post. A minute later they had another chance but Nielsen managed to tip the ball wide of the post. Leyton were all over us and on the 39th minute we had Nielsen again to thank as he caught the ball mid - flight to goal.

The second half was alittle better for us as we started to get more involved. Ten minutes into the half we had the chance to get the equaliser as Junior fired just wide of the post. Orient though were still pressurising us and on the 67th minute we had the post to thank as there effort rattled the post. Three minutes later though we managed to get the lead as Sheringham’s speculative effort went in off the post. Orient though carried on with the pressure but Nielsen held our team together and we got an unlikely three points

Leyton Orient 0

Matlock Town 1 Sheringham 70

December 8th: Transfer news sees me signing Anthony Robertson from Southampton for £4,000, he will be joining up with the squad on the 1/1/12

December 10th: Matlock Town v Port Vale

We were again walked over by the Port Vale side and on the 11th minute Vale came close to opening the scoring with a rasping effort from the edge of the area. Vale were the better team and we looked very poor. Port Vale eventually got the goal they deserved as Bloomfield fired in on the 23rd minute after my defence we yet again caught napping. It was looking like another rout on the way as my team struggled to cope with the constant pressure. Luckily we managed to get to the half time interval without conceding another goal.

We came out after the interval and yet again played poorly with Vale controlling the game with ease and six minutes in we went two goals down as Bloomfield again fired in to give my team no hope of a comeback.

Matlock Town 0

Port Vale 2 Bloomfield 23, 51

December 11th: More transfer news sees Tony Capaldi joining us from Preston for £45,000, he will be arriving on January 1st 2012

December 17th: Notts County v Matlock Town

We faced Notts County for the third time within a short time and this time we gave them abit more of a game and it was us who had the first chance of the game with Sheringham heading wide of the upright. County then came close on the 23rd minute with a rasping effort from 25 yards but the shot went just over the crossbar. On the 32nd minute we went a goal down as Weston fired in to give County the lead. County upped the gears and deep into injury time they went a further goal up as Daley headed in.

The second half was much the same with both teams attacking well. It was County who got the first goal of the half as Daley again scored on the 58th minute. Eight minutes later though we managed to pull a goal back as Alessandra headed into the open goal after the Notts County keeper went missing. The goal lifted my players and we started to get forward alot more and on the 80th minute we made it 3-2 as Sheringham fired in brilliantly to give us some hope in the game but the comeback came to an abrupt halt as Smith fired in Notts Countys next goal with a cracking strike from the edge of the area. However two minutes later we pulled the deficit back to one goal as Galbraith fired in but my players couldn't muster another goal and we ended up losing 4-3.

Notts County 4 Weston 32, Daley 45 + 2, 58, Smith 84

Matlock Town 3 Alessandra 66, Sheringham 80, Galbraith 86

December 18th; I've made another signing as Goalkeeper Paul Jones will join us when the transfer window opens up for a fee of £1,000

December 26th: Matlock Town v Carlisle

A good start saw us test the Carlisle keeper within a minute as Sheringham headed into the keepers arms. Nine minutes later we had another shot as Sheringham again was guilty of missing an easy chance to score. On the 14th minute we went into the lead as Junior fired from the edge of the area to beat the keeper. We continued to pile forward and on the 23rd minute we should of added a second goal as Sheringham again fired wide of the post. On the 35th minute we got the second goal we deserved as Bruce fired in a great freekick after Junior was fouled 25 yards out. Five minutes later we added another goal as Junior doubled his tally for the game with a header from Owusu's cross. It got even better for us as Sheringham finally got the goal he had been wanting as he rifled home from the edge of the area.

The second half was just as good as we controlled Carlisle with ease but we had to wait till the 65th minute to add another goal with Alessandra firing in to give us a 5-0 lead. My players were enjoying themselves and a minute into injury time we went six goals up with Owusu rifling in to give my team an impressive 6-0 victory

Matlock Town 6 Junior 14, 40, Bruce 35, Sheringham 42, Alessandra 65, Owusu 90 + 1

Carlisle 0

December 28th; Torquay v Matlock Town

After the demolishment of Carlisle two days ago I told my players I wanted more of the same. Yet after only six minutes we were a goal down as Franks fired in a brilliant shot to beat my defence and keeper easily. Torquay were much the better as they continued to dominate my players and on the 21st minute we were a further goal down as Bean made it 2-0 for Torquay. I was incensed with my players and eight minutes later I couldn't believe what I was seeing as some more terrible defending put us three goals down as Taylor did the honours for Torquay. At the half time interval I laid into my players and told them I wanted alot more from them in this half.

The second half wasn't much better for us as we again struggled with the basic concept of football and it wasn't long till they left Nielsen to save the ball brilliantly from the edge of the area. However despite us being kicked all over the pitch we managed to pull a goal back as Junior did the honours with a simple tap in after the keeper fluffed a clearance. Within a minute though we had lost all hope of getting anything from the game as Philips fired in for Torquay. My mood didn't improve much as on the 73rd minute Torquay scored another goal with Taylor heading in. My players were second best to everything but on the 78th minute we got another goal but it was too little too late and we ended up losing 5-2

Torquay 5 Franks 6, Bean 21, Taylor 29, 73, Philips 66

Matlock Town 2 Junior 65, Owusu 78

Halfway point of Season:

Position  ¦Information ¦Team           ¦ Games ¦ Won ¦ Drawn ¦ Lost ¦ Goals ¦ Goals  ¦ Points ¦
         ¦            ¦               ¦Played ¦     ¦       ¦      ¦  For  ¦Against ¦        ¦                         
==========¦============¦===============¦=======¦=====¦=======¦======¦=======¦========¦========¦
  1st    ¦            ¦ Cheltenham    ¦  23   ¦ 15  ¦   4   ¦   4  ¦  33   ¦   17   ¦   49   ¦
  2nd    ¦            ¦ Northampton   ¦  23   ¦ 11  ¦   9   ¦   3  ¦  27   ¦   14   ¦   42   ¦  
  3rd    ¦            ¦ Notts County  ¦  23   ¦ 12  ¦   6   ¦   5  ¦  35   ¦   25   ¦   42   ¦
==========¦============¦===============¦=======¦=====¦=======¦======¦=======¦========¦========¦ 
  4th    ¦            ¦ Shrewsbury    ¦  23   ¦ 11  ¦   7   ¦   5  ¦  30   ¦   19   ¦   40   ¦ 
  5th    ¦            ¦ Leyton Orient ¦  23   ¦ 11  ¦   7   ¦   5  ¦  32   ¦   22   ¦   40   ¦
  6th    ¦            ¦ Stockport     ¦  23   ¦ 10  ¦   9   ¦   4  ¦  31   ¦   19   ¦   39   ¦ 
  7th    ¦            ¦ Oxford        ¦  23   ¦  8  ¦  11   ¦   4  ¦  26   ¦   18   ¦   35   ¦
----------¦------------¦---------------¦-------¦-----¦-------¦------¦-------¦--------¦--------¦ 
  8th    ¦            ¦ Hartlepool    ¦  23   ¦ 10  ¦   5   ¦   8  ¦  30   ¦   32   ¦   35   ¦ 
  9th    ¦            ¦ Chester       ¦  23   ¦ 10  ¦   5   ¦   8  ¦  28   ¦   30   ¦   35   ¦ 
 10th    ¦            ¦ Accrington    ¦  23   ¦  9  ¦   7   ¦   7  ¦  34   ¦   20   ¦   34   ¦ 
 11th    ¦            ¦ Morecombe     ¦  23   ¦  8  ¦   8   ¦   7  ¦  27   ¦   29   ¦   32   ¦ 
 12th    ¦            ¦ Wycombe       ¦  23   ¦  9  ¦   4   ¦  10  ¦  26   ¦   31   ¦   31   ¦ 
 13th    ¦            ¦ Macclesfield  ¦  23   ¦  8  ¦   6   ¦   9  ¦  29   ¦   30   ¦   30   ¦ 
 14th    ¦            ¦ Port Vale     ¦  23   ¦  8  ¦   5   ¦  10  ¦  20   ¦   25   ¦   29   ¦ 
 15th    ¦            ¦ Torquay       ¦  23   ¦  6  ¦   4   ¦  11  ¦  20   ¦   29   ¦   28   ¦ 
 16th    ¦            ¦ Tranmere      ¦  23   ¦  6  ¦   9   ¦   8  ¦  23   ¦   26   ¦   27   ¦ 
 [b]17th    ¦            ¦ MATLOCK TOWN  ¦  23   ¦  6  ¦   8   ¦   9  ¦  34   ¦   36   ¦   26   ¦ [/b]
 18th    ¦            ¦ Bournemouth   ¦  23   ¦  6  ¦  11   ¦   8  ¦  17   ¦   21   ¦   23   ¦ 
 19th    ¦            ¦ Hereford      ¦  23   ¦  4  ¦   5   ¦  12  ¦  22   ¦   28   ¦   23   ¦
 20th    ¦            ¦ Luton         ¦  23   ¦  4  ¦   9   ¦  10  ¦  13   ¦   23   ¦   21   ¦
 21st    ¦            ¦ Carlisle      ¦  23   ¦  4  ¦   9   ¦  10  ¦  21   ¦   37   ¦   21   ¦
 22nd    ¦            ¦ Grimsby       ¦  23   ¦  4  ¦   8   ¦  11  ¦  14   ¦   22   ¦   20   ¦
 23rd    ¦            ¦ Dag & Red     ¦  23   ¦  4  ¦   8   ¦  11  ¦  15   ¦   24   ¦   20   ¦
 24th    ¦            ¦ Wrexham       ¦  23   ¦  3  ¦  10   ¦  10  ¦  16   ¦   26   ¦   19   ¦

January 1st 2012; With the transfer window open we welcome a few new faces to the club,

Michael Kimble has joined us from Fulham for £35,000 (19yr, AMRC/FC)

Tommy Wright has joined us from Northampton for £190,000 (27yr, AMR/FC)

Jamie Guy has joined us from Fulham for £180,000 (24yr,ST)

Anthony Robertson joined us from Southampton for £4,000 (22yr, FC)

Tony Capaldi joined us from Preston for £45,000 (30yr, D/WB/AML)

Paul Jones joined us from Lincoln for £1,000 (25yr, GK)

Exciting club news sees the work on the ground completed and we now have a capacity of 15,000. I doubt we will fill the ground to capacity now but I am sure if my future plans work we will be filling them with the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool to the ground.

January 2nd; Matlock Town v Luton

I decided not to play any of my new signings for this game so they could see the way we play. My players did themselves proud for once and we played brilliantly. We opened the scoring on the 19th minute as Kuffour fired in a free kick from 20 yards after Alessandra was hacked down. My players started to control the game and just after the half hour we went another goal up with Sheringham heading in from Owusu's cross. However six minutes later we a slip in concentration cost us a goal with Martin firing in from after some slack defending. My players however responded well enough and on the 44th minute we went regained the two goal cushion but had it taken away from us after the assistant referee ruled Sheringham offside.

The second half was again all us but on the 49th minute we conceded the equaliser with Vries scoring an absolute fluke after Nielsen miss judged a cross and it flew into the goal. Yet I couldn't stay mad at my players as within four minutes we were back in the lead as Alessandra fired in what turned out the winner.

Matlock Town 3 Kuffour 19, Sheringham 31, Alessandra 53

Luton 2 Martin 37, Vries 49

January 4th; Tranmere v Matlock Town

I was disappointed with the way my players performed in this game as they just didn’t turn up and we struggled with the basics of the game. Luckily for us though Tranmere were just as bad they failed to test Nielsen.. So the fans had to put up with a dire 0-0 draw

Tranmere 0

Matlock Town 0

January 7th: Wycombe v Matlock Town

Within nine minutes we were a goal down as Torres headed in past Nielsen. I wasn't best pleased with the defending of the team but ten minutes later we managed to get the equaliser as Owusu fired in a screamer from 25 yards. After the goal though my players seemed to disappear and Wycombe began to control us. It wasn't long till they were testing my keeper and on the half hour Nielsen managed to block a great effort. Eight minutes later though we were helpless as Wycombe went back into the lead as Winn fired from the edge of the area. Two minutes later we went a further goal down as Torres headed in to give Wycombe a 3-1 lead. The lead went to 4-1 as on the 43rd minute Bullock headed in to give us a real mountain to climb.

The second half began with my players actually playing well and on the 48th minute we came close to clawing back some of the deficit but Kimble fluffed his chance to score on his debut. We were the better team and on the 58th minute we managed to pull a goal back as Guy scored on his debut. My players were piling forward at every opportunity but failed to score again.

Wycombe 4 Torres 9, 40, Winn 38, Bullock 43

Matlock Town 2 Owusu 19, Guy 58

January 14th: Matlock Town v Chester

My players continued from the second half of the game with Sheringham being the star of the show as on the 20th minute his great run led too Kuffour firing in from inside the area. Three minutes later we had doubled the lead as Junior ran onto a Sheringham through ball and fired past the Chester keeper. This was alot better than what had happened in previous games and on the 26th minute Kuffour added goal number three with a rasping effort. Ten minutes later we came close to adding another goal as Sheringham fired into the net but had it ruled out for offside. I was livid with the assistant referee as from where I was looking he was easily onside.

The second half was much the same with us controlling much of the play yet on the 57th minute we conceded as Anaclet fired in to give Chester some hope of a comeback. A minute later though we regained only goal advantage as Junior doubled his tally for the game after again running onto a well threaded ball by Sheringham. Eight minutes later though we lost another goal as Moore fired in for Chester. I wasn't best pleased with the defending but we managed a good 4-2 victory and Sheringham got the man of the match award he rightly deserved.

Matlock Town 4 Kuffour 20, 26, Junior 23, 58

Chester 2 Anaclet 57, Moore 64

January 21st: Macclesfield v Matlock Town

After a great victory we follow with another dire performance as we struggled to get a shot on target. As hard as we tried we couldn't finish the build up work and we left with only a point.

Macclesfield 0

Matlock Town 0

January 28th: Matlock Town v Morcombe

Within three minutes we went into the lead as Sheringham beautifully chipped the keeper from 18 yards after running onto Kimble’s through ball. However ten minutes later Morcombe back on level terms as Twiss ran clear of my defence to fire past Nielsen. After the goal we started to get back control of the game and it wasn’t long till we were running riot on the Morcombe defence. On the half hour we went back into the lead as Sheringham got his second goal of the game with a daisy cutter from inside the area. It got even better for him as four minutes later he added his third goal to complete the hat trick.

The second half was a little tighter as Morcombe began to get back into the game but on the 54th minute we went further into the lead as Sheringham added his and ours fourth goal of the game. We were looking good for our lead but Morcombe were testing my defence as much as we testing there's.

Matlock Town 4 Sheringham 3, 30, 34, 54

Morcombe 1 Twiss 13

January 30th: More transfer news sees Elliott Bennett join us from Reading for a fee of £18,000

January 31st: Cheltenham v Matlock Town

A tough game against top of the table Cheltenham and we proved we were no pushovers as my players controlled much of the game and on the 13th minute we came close to going into the lead as Kuffour rifled towards goal but his shot went just wide of the upright. Eleven minutes later we were in the lead as Sheringham fired in to give us a much deserved lead. My players were all over the Cheltenham defence and on the 37th minute we had the chance for another goal but Sheringham missed an open goal.

The second half was much the same as we controlled alot of it and on the 54th minute Kuffour fired towards goal but his effort was well saved by the keeper to keeper the score at 1-0. On the 76th minute we killed the game off as Kuffour rifled home a scorcher from 25 yards to give us a great three points.

Cheltenham 0

Matlock Town 2 Sheringham 24, Kuffour 76

February 4th: Matlock Town v Dag & Red

A poor start saw the visitors going a goal up on the 8th minute as Larkin fired in past Nielsen. I wasn't too chuffed with the effort my defenders put in to try and deter them. Five minutes later we had the keeper to thank for saving a cracking effort by the Dag & Red attack. We were on the back foot as the visitors continued to pile into our half but on the 32nd minute we countered well and grabbed the equaliser as Guy fired past the keeper. Dag & Red came close to retaking the lead on the 42nd minute with a rasping effort which went just wide of the upright. We were riding our luck but against the run of play we managed to get the lead as Sheringham fired in from the edge of the area to send us into the break 2-1 up.

The second half was alot better for us as my players upped the gears and started to control the visitors. On the 56th minute we went further into the lead as Sheringham fired his second goal of the game. It got even better as two minutes later he completed his hattrick with an absolute screamer from 35 yards. Dag & Red had no answer for us as we cruised to the end of the game.

Matlock Town 4 Guy 32, Sheringham 45, 56, 58

Dag & Red 1 Larkin 8

February 11th: Bournemouth v Matlock Town

Again we started pretty poorly as Bournemouth passed the ball alot better than we did and on the 11th minute we came close to losing a goal as Bournemouth fired towards goal but the effort was tipped over by debutant keeper Jones. Nine minutes later we did it again as we went into the lead against the run of play with Robertson firing in from the egde of the area. Bournemouth however came straight back at us as they carried on dominating the game. Luckily we made it to half time whistle without conceding.

The second half was much the same as Bournemouth kept the ball away from my players. We were struggling with the basics and it wasn't long till we had the keeper to thank for saving our bacon after the Bournemouth attack broke through my defence. I don't know how we did it but we made it to the full time whistle without conceding and we managed to scrape a very fluky 1-0 victory.

Bournemouth 0

Matlock Town 1 Robertson 20

February 14th; Matlock Town v Shrewsbury

Another tight game as both teams defended brilliantly, it took us till the 15th minute to get the first effort off as Sheringham headed just wide of the post. There wasn't much in between the teams but on the 24th minute we went into the lead as Owusu fired in off the post. My joy though was shortlived as within four minutes Shrewsbury fired in the equaliser. I wasn't best pleased with my team.

The second half though was pretty dire as niether team seemed to get going. I was frustrated with my team and after the game I let my players know how unhappy I was with there performance.

Matlock Town 1 Owusu 24

Shrewsbury 1 Symes 28

February 18th: Matlock Town v Stockport

The first half was pretty slow as both teams just didn't get going. However it was us that had the first real effort of the game as Sheringham fired towards goal but his effort was well saved by the Stockport keeper. Stockport didn't get a shot towards goal in the first half and we both went into the half without scoring.

I told my players I wanted to see more from them.

The second half was five minutes old when the first goal of the game was scored as Stockport’s Pilkington fired in from inside the area. Stockport came close to doubling there lead on the hour but luckily for us Jones was on hand to save well. It looked like it was going to be one of those games as Stockport piled forward towards our goal but on the 68th minute we grabbed an unlikely equaliser as Sheringham fired in from 20 yards. Despite scoring we still struggled to get a hold of the game as Stockport continued to come towards goal. On the 84th minute we should of lost the game as Stockport fired towards goal but there effort was blocked off the line by Capaldi. On the stroke of full time the winning goal was scored as Sheringham popped up to head the ball into the Stockport goal. I couldn't believe we had managed to fluke the win as Stockport had been the better team throughout the second half.

Matlock Town 2 Sheringham 68, 90

Stockport 1 Pilkington 50

February 25th: Accrington v Matlock Town

We started well against Accrington and it wasn't long till we had the first chance as Galbraith fired in a free kick from 25 yards, unluckily the ball went just wide of the upright. On the 11th minute we had our next chance as Sheringham headed towards goal but again his effort was well saved. It was all us as we controlled the Accrington team. Yet it was Accrington who scored first as Grant broke clear of my defence to fire past Nielsen. I couldn't believe my teams luck. Instead of getting down my players started to up the gears and it wasn't long till we started to dominate the Accrington team. It took us till the stroke of half time to get our equaliser as Sheringham fired in brilliantly to give us the perfect end to the half.

The second half was all us as we controlled from the start. On the 54th minute we had the first chance to go into the lead as Kimble striked in a great effort which went just over. My players were dominating with ease and on the 75th minute we got the winning goal we deserved as Sheringham continued his great scoring record which is now 12 goals in 7 games. Accrington never reall got into the second half and we got the three points we deserved.

Accrington 1 Grant 27

Matlock Town 2 Sheringham 45, 75

Febraury 26th: The press were circling as I was being linked to the vacant Aston Villa job after Martin Jol was sacked after only eight months in the job. As I've told the press on numerous occasions I wasn't intrested in the job and I wanted to stay with the Gladiators.

March 1st; Sheringham has been awarded the goal of the month for his stunning effort against Dag & Red

March 3rd: Matlock Town v Northampton

We again dominated the game as Northampton’s players looked as though had not left the team bus. On the 12th minute we had the our first real effort as Guy fired towards goal but his effort was well saved by the keeper. We continued to pressurise the opposition goal area but there keeper was having a great game. On the 34th minute the game was made harder for Northampton as Timmin’s was sent off for a two footed lunge of Guy. It was one way traffic as we peppered the goal with effort after effort.

At the interval I told my players to keep up the good work and not to relax.

The second half continued as the first ended with my players kicking the ten men of Northampton all over the field. On the 50th minute we went into the lead as Northampton's Maynard diverted Sheringhams wayward shot into the goal. Three minutes later we fired in another goal as Sheringham headed in but it was ruled out for a foul on the keeper. My players were on fire but on the 63rd minute we conceded the equaliser as McCarthy fired past Nielsen. I was a little disappointed with the goal but it was short lived as on the 74th minute we went back into the lead as Sheringham put himself on the score sheet again with a rasping effort from 15 yards.

Matlock Town 2 Maynard og 50, Sheringham 74

Northampton 1 McCarthy 63

March 7th: Injury news sees Davis out of action for around three weeks after injuring his calf in training

March 10th: Hartlepool v Matlock Town

We started pretty well as my team controlled the play. However it took us till the 24th minute to get our first shot off as Junior headed just wide of the post from a Kimble cross. My players looked up for the game and on the 27th minute we had our next chance as Sheringham fired towards goal but his effort was blocked by the keeper unfortunately Junior didn't react quick enough to fire in the rebound. We finally broke the deadlock on the 31st minute as Sheringham fired towards goal and after a small deflection the ball went past the keeper. Two minutes later Sheringham was one on one with the keeper but this time he managed to fluff the effort. We continued to press but failed to add to our tally in the first half.

The second half was much the same as we completely dominated the Hartlepool team. On the hour we had our best chance to double our lead as Sheringham fired a corker towards goal but the Hartlepool keeper pulled off a cracking save to deny him. We were all over Hartlepool but it took us till a minute into injury time as Glabraith fired in to double our lead. It got even better as with virtually the last kick of the ball we added goal number three.

Hartlepool 0

Matlock Town 3 Sheringham 31, Galbraith 90 + 1, Wright 90 + 5

March 14th: Matlock Town v Grimsby

My players continued from where they left off as we began brilliantly, despite controlling the opening few minutes we went a goal down on the 14th minute as Brown fired in for the visitors. Despite this little glitch my players started to get on top of the game again and it wasn't long till we had the next chance of the game with Sheringham firing just wide of the upright. We were all over the visitors but on the 42nd minute we had to replace Sheringham after he pulled up on a sprint.

The second half was all us again as we carried on the domination of the visitors. On the 49th minute we came close to opening our account as Junior headed into the hands of the keeper. On the 68th minute we finally got the equaliser as Alessandra curled a beauty into the back of the net. Eight minutes later we got the winning goal as a great flick on by Kimble was volleyed in by Wright to give us a great three points.

Matlock Town 2 Alessandra 68, Wright 76

Grimsby 1 Brown 14

Injury News: Sheringham will be out of action for around a month after pulling his hamstring. Its a big blow and I will have to pray that Alessandra and Junior form a great partnership during this time

March 17th: Matlock Town v Hereford

Another game which did really well in as we were the better team throughout. Despite this Hereford didn't roll over and let us have it all our own way. On the 19th minute we went behind as Hereford fired in from inside the six yard box but luckily for us it was ruled out for a foul on Owusu. It was a entertaining for the fans and on the 35th minute we went into the lead as Galbraith fired in a free kick from the edge of the area after Junior was fouled on the way to goal. However a minute later a silly mistake by Nielsen cost us the equaliser as Robinson capitalised on his error.

At the interval I told my players to keep up the good work but the error seemed to be playing on Nielsen's mind.

The second half started pretty well as we came very close to getting the lead back as Junior fired onto the inside of the upright but the ball just wouldn't go over the line and the Hereford keeper managed to jump on the loose ball. On the hour Hereford had the next chance to score as another flap by Nielsen was poked towards goal by the Hereford attack but Oji cleared well. Nielsen didn't look comfortable so I replaced him with Jones. The game was opening up and on the 78th minute the winning goal was scored as Alessandra fired in to give us the three points.

Matlock Town 2 Galbraith 35, Alessandra 78

Hereford 1 Robinson 36

March 18th; I called Nielsen into my office and asked him what was up with him after he seemed to struggle in the last game. I told him that he could have a few days off if he wanted to get his head sorted out.

March 24th: Oxford v Matlock Town

A great start saw us go a goal up within eleven minutes as Alessandra fired in from the edge of the area. My players carried on piling forward and on the 19th minute we had another chance to score as Alessandra had another chance to score but his effort was well saved by the opposition keeper managed to save well. Ten minutes later we had another chance to score but Juniors effort went just wide of the upright. I was impressed with the way my players were performing but on the 43rd minute Oxford came close to grabbing the equaliser but Jones managed to save well from the long range effort.

The second half was much the same as we continued to pile forward and on the hour we had another chance to double our lead as Junior headed into the keepers arms. I was getting quite frustrated with the way we were struggling to score and eventually we were punished with a cracking effort from Twigg that flew past Jones and nearly burst our net. We tried to get the winning goal but our attacking wasn't up to it and we had to settle for one point instead of getting the three points we deserved.

Oxford 1 Twigg 80

Matlock Town 1 Alessandra 11

March 31st: Wrexham v Matlock Town

Again I left Nielsen out as he still seemed a little pre occupied. His replacement Jones though played brilliantly in this match as he kept us in the game during the opening minutes and on the 10th minute he denied Wrxham the chance of the lead with a superb save from the edge of the area. Five minutes later he was on hand to deny the Welsh team the chance of a goal with a great double save from the Wrexham attack. It was becoming far too easy for Wrexham as they dominated much of the play. Luckily we got to the half time interval without conceding.

I was furious with my players for there distinct lack of effort.

The second half was only four minutes old when Bruno managed to score but unfortunalty he scored at the wrong end as he sliced a clearance past Jones to give Wrexham a deserved if not lucky lead. Wrexham continued to pile forward into my teams area but Jones was on impressive form and denied them on several occasions. On the 74th minute the next goal was scored as Junior headed in past the Wrexham keeper to give us the equaliser. The home side looked shocked as we had scored with only our second shot on goal. Wrexham continued to pound our goal but we managed to hold on and we got a very lucky draw.

Wrexham 1 Bruno og 49

Matlock Town 1 Junior 74

April 1st: Despite the poor performance in the last game I was given the Manager of the Month award.

April 7th: Matlock Town v Leyton Orient

We welcomed back Sheringham after his injury. I was a bit wary of playing him but with the way we were struggling up front I was forced to play him.

Within two minutes we were a goal up as Junior broke clear of the goal to fired into the goal. My fans were going wild with delight. However my joy was short lived as influential midfielder Kuffour had to be replaced with a foot injury. After Kuffours injury we seemed to struggle to get back going and on the 19th minute we came close to losing the lead as Orients attack wriggled free of my defence to go one on one with Jones who handled the situation brilliantly and denied them the chance of an equaliser. Orient were getting the better of my team and it wasn't long till they were testing Jones as he had to save well again. On the 43rd minute Orient had a slice of bad luck as Dickenson was sent off for a tackle on Junior. I personally didn't think it was deserving of a red card.

The second half started much as like the first as we opened the scoring early on as Alessandra fired in to give us a two goal cushion. The goal lifted my players and we started to dominate the play of the game and on the 56th minute we went further into the lead as Sheringham fired in with ease. I was very impressed with my team as we tested the Orient keeper with effort after effort. Deep into injury time we got our final goal of the game as Owusu headed in to give us a resounding four goal victory.

Matlock Town 4 Junior 2, Alessandra 51, Sheringham 56, Owusu 90 + 1

Leyton Orient 0

Injury News: Kuffour will be out of action for four months after breaking his foot.

April 9th: Port Vale v Matlock Town

The perfect start as within three minutes Junior had fired us into the lead with a rasping effort from 15 yards. However after the goal my players seemed to relax a little too much and Port Vale started to dominate us with some excellent possession football. On the 11th minute they had the first real effort of the game but it was well saved by Jones. I was getting a little concerned as Vale piled into my half with far too much ease. Port Vale were controlling the game and on the 34th minute we had Jones to thank for saving our bacon with a great reaction save.

The second half was much the same as we struggled to get a grip of the play and speed of the game. On the 75th minute though we had the best chance of the half as Sheringham fired onto the crossbar with a thunderous effort. Port Vale though had the chance of an equaliser in the dying minutes of the game but luckily for us there attack fluffed it.

Port Vale 0

Matlock Town 1 Junior 3

The victory means that we have been guaranteed a play off place.

April 12th: Injury news sees us lose another player after Tomkins pulled his hamstring in training. He will be missing from action for the rest of the season.

April 14th: Matlock Town v Notts County

We welcome the newly crowned League Two Champions to Causeway Lane and they showed why they were Champions as they piled into my teams area. On the 6th minute they had the first chance of the game with a rasping shot from 20 yards which Jones managed to save well enough. Ten minutes later County had another chance with a great effort but the upright managed to block there chance. It was all one way traffic as the Champions kicked us all over the pitch and we were lucky to get the half time interval without conceding.

The second half began as the first ended with County dominating the play and on the 63rd minute they went into the lead as Baldock fired in there opening goal. However after the goal they seemed to get a little too cocky and my players began to get more of the ball. On the 71st minute we had the chance to equalise as Thorne fouled Sheringham inside the area. Oji stepped up for the penalty and wasted no time in firing the ball past the outstretched arms of the County keeper. It got even better as four minutes later we went into the lead as Junior headed in to give us all three points and an excellent victory over Champions

Matlock Town 2 Oji pen 71, Junior 75

Notts County 1 Baldock 63

April 28th: Carlisle v Matlock Town

Now we faced the complete opposite from the last game as we faced bottom of the table and already relegated Carlisle. Not surprisingly we were the better team as we pressed the Carlisle defence with shot ofeter shot. There was no let up for the opposition and on the 18th minute they had the assistant referee to thank for disallowing a perfectly legitimate goal. I was furious with him but my players didn't give me chance to get mad as they dominated the already doomed team completely and on the 34th minute we went close to scoring again as Sheringham fired onto the upright but the rebound was cleared by the Carlisle defence.

The second half was much as the first as we piled on the pressure with such ease. It took us till the 65th minute to open the scoring as a silly mistake by the Carlisle keeper cost them the first goal, with Sheringham doing the honours for me. Eight minutes later we went into a two goal lead as Sheringham fired in his second of the game. Carlisle were never in the game and we walked away with another three points.

Carlisle 0

Matlock Town 2 Sheringham 65, 73

May 1st; Charlie Sheringham has been handed the Player of the Month award after a superb month scoring three goals

May 3rd; Yet another injury sees defender Oji out for around a month after straining his ankle ligaments

May 5th: Matlock Town v Torquay

A great start saw us go a goal up on the 5th minute as Sheringham fired in from the edge of the area. Torquay though came close six minutes later with a fine effort which Nielsen on his return managed to block well. It was end to end football as both my team and Torquay piled forward. Just before the half hour we had our next real chance of the game as Sheringham headed wide of the post. Torquay then came very close to the equaliser with a rasping effort from inside the area. It was entertaining for the fans and on the stroke of half time we came had the chance tom double our lead but Sheringhams effort went just over.

The second half was much the same as both teams went for it. Despite all the attacking football neither team could add a goal too the game and we got the win we needed to gain automatic promotion to the Coca Cola League One.

Matlock Town 1 Sheringham 5

Torquay 0

I told my players they could celebrate as much as they wanted after we gained promotion to League One at our first attempt.

Competitions Entered:

Coca Cola League Two; 3rd (Promoted)

FA Cup: 1st Round

League Cup: 1st Round

Johnstones Paint Trophy North: 1/4 Final

Top Scorers:

Sheringham 29

Junior 20

Alesssandra 8

Owen 7

Howell 6

Galbraith, Kuffour 5

Bruce 3

Guy, Wright 2

Robertson, Oji 1

Final League Positions:

Position  ¦Information ¦Team           ¦ Games ¦ Won ¦ Drawn ¦ Lost ¦ Goals ¦ Goals  ¦ Points ¦
         ¦            ¦               ¦Played ¦     ¦       ¦      ¦  For  ¦Against ¦        ¦                         
  1st    ¦ Champions  ¦ Notts County  ¦  46   ¦ 26  ¦  12   ¦   8  ¦  65   ¦   41   ¦   90   ¦
  2nd    ¦ Promoted   ¦ Stockport     ¦  46   ¦ 23  ¦  14   ¦   9  ¦  64   ¦   35   ¦   83   ¦  
[b]   3rd    ¦ Promoted   ¦ MATLOCK TOWN  ¦  46   ¦ 23  ¦  13   ¦  10  ¦  80   ¦   55   ¦   82   ¦[/b]
  4th    ¦ Play Off   ¦ Cheltenham    ¦  46   ¦ 24  ¦  10   ¦  12  ¦  57   ¦   33   ¦   82   ¦ 
  5th    ¦ Play Off   ¦ Northampton   ¦  46   ¦ 22  ¦  16   ¦   8  ¦  57   ¦   33   ¦   82   ¦
  6th    ¦ Play Off   ¦ Shrewsbury    ¦  46   ¦ 22  ¦  14   ¦  10  ¦  62   ¦   36   ¦   80   ¦ 
  7th    ¦ Play Off   ¦ Hartlepool    ¦  46   ¦ 20  ¦  12   ¦  14  ¦  62   ¦   53   ¦   72   ¦
----------¦------------¦---------------¦-------¦-----¦-------¦------¦-------¦--------¦--------¦ 
  8th    ¦            ¦ Oxford        ¦  46   ¦ 18  ¦  16   ¦  12  ¦  58   ¦   48   ¦   70   ¦ 
  9th    ¦            ¦ Leyton Orient ¦  46   ¦ 18  ¦  12   ¦  16  ¦  56   ¦   48   ¦   66   ¦ 
 10th    ¦            ¦ Tranmere      ¦  46   ¦ 15  ¦  19   ¦  12  ¦  55   ¦   52   ¦   64   ¦ 
 11th    ¦            ¦ Wycombe       ¦  46   ¦ 17  ¦  13   ¦  16  ¦  52   ¦   58   ¦   64   ¦ 
 12th    ¦            ¦ Accrington    ¦  46   ¦ 17  ¦  10   ¦  19  ¦  63   ¦   51   ¦   61   ¦ 
 13th    ¦            ¦ Torquay       ¦  46   ¦ 17  ¦   9   ¦  20  ¦  47   ¦   51   ¦   60   ¦ 
 14th    ¦            ¦ Bournemouth   ¦  46   ¦ 15  ¦  15   ¦  16  ¦  40   ¦   45   ¦   60   ¦ 
 15th    ¦            ¦ Chester       ¦  46   ¦ 14  ¦  15   ¦  17  ¦  48   ¦   61   ¦   57   ¦ 
 16th    ¦            ¦ Macclesfield  ¦  46   ¦ 15  ¦  11   ¦  20  ¦  52   ¦   57   ¦   56   ¦ 
 17th    ¦            ¦ Morcambe      ¦  46   ¦ 14  ¦  14   ¦  18  ¦  58   ¦   70   ¦   56   ¦ 
 18th    ¦            ¦ Grimsby       ¦  46   ¦ 13  ¦  14   ¦  19  ¦  37   ¦   45   ¦   53   ¦ 
 19th    ¦            ¦ Luton         ¦  46   ¦ 13  ¦  12   ¦  21  ¦  46   ¦   61   ¦   51   ¦
 20th    ¦            ¦ Port Vale     ¦  46   ¦ 12  ¦  11   ¦  23  ¦  41   ¦   61   ¦   47   ¦
 21st    ¦            ¦ Wrexham       ¦  46   ¦ 10  ¦  15   ¦  21  ¦  36   ¦   54   ¦   45   ¦
 22nd    ¦            ¦ Dag & Red     ¦  46   ¦ 10  ¦  14   ¦  22  ¦  37   ¦   55   ¦   44   ¦
 23rd    ¦ Relegated  ¦ Hereford      ¦  46   ¦ 10  ¦   9   ¦  27  ¦  44   ¦   71   ¦   39   ¦
 24th    ¦ Relegated  ¦ Carlisle      ¦  46   ¦  8  ¦  12   ¦  26  ¦  39   ¦   82   ¦   36   ¦

Northampton win promotion after a 2-0 victory over Cheltenham in the Play Off Final

Archived