Clarification on size of player db in touch vs full fat

Hi, 

Looking at getting Touch as an old man who first got into CH/FM back on Champ Manager Italia Amiga days. 

Wanted clarification on the player DB:

On the Steam write up (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1100620/Football_Manager_2020_Touch/) - it says:

"Touch packs the full power of Football Manager’s world-renowned database which has:

50 playable nations
130 of the top leagues
2,500+ manageable clubs
500,000+ fully modelled players and staff"

Yet on SI Blog (https://www.footballmanager.com/the-byline/what-are-differences-between-our-games) it says: "Very similar in nature to FM20, but only being able to load a database of 25,000 players"

Those who play the game, can you clarify which it is?

Cheers, 

Daley

4 minutes ago, djdaley said:

Hi, 

Looking at getting Touch as an old man who first got into CH/FM back on Champ Manager Italia Amiga days. 

Wanted clarification on the player DB:

On the Steam write up (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1100620/Football_Manager_2020_Touch/) - it says:

"Touch packs the full power of Football Manager’s world-renowned database which has:

50 playable nations
130 of the top leagues
2,500+ manageable clubs
500,000+ fully modelled players and staff"

Yet on SI Blog (https://www.footballmanager.com/the-byline/what-are-differences-between-our-games) it says: "Very similar in nature to FM20, but only being able to load a database of 25,000 players"

Those who play the game, can you clarify which it is?

Cheers, 

Daley

I assume the database limit it is referring to is due to the fact you can only load 3 nations on tablets/Switch. If you're playing FMT on PC, there's no such restriction.

When compared to the full game, the number of leagues are the same except for Gibraltar which is available only for the full game. Since FMT does not have detailed youth teams (just a consolidated reserves squad instead of u-23s, u-21s etc), there will be a slight reduction in the amount of players available when compared with the full game, however pretty much all high potential youngsters will be included.

9 minutes ago, rafaelbenitez said:

I assume the database limit it is referring to is due to the fact you can only load 3 nations on tablets/Switch. If you're playing FMT on PC, there's no such restriction.

When compared to the full game, the number of leagues are the same except for Gibraltar which is available only for the full game. Since FMT does not have detailed youth teams (just a consolidated reserves squad instead of u-23s, u-21s etc), there will be a slight reduction in the amount of players available when compared with the full game, however pretty much all high potential youngsters will be included.

Cool - I would be playing on a PC that I'm confident could run the full game. Would you just select all leagues to get the full DB then?

9 minutes ago, djdaley said:

Cool - I would be playing on a PC that I'm confident could run the full game. Would you just select all leagues to get the full DB then?

If your PC is powerful enough, then sure!

However, I don't think you need to load all the leagues in the game to have a good experience. Unless you have a super strong PC, that will be a chore to process. I'd recommend loading the top nations along with a large database to start with. If you aren't happy with that, you can always add/remove leagues during the game or start a new save with more leagues.

2 minutes ago, rafaelbenitez said:

If your PC is powerful enough, then sure!

However, I don't think you need to load all the leagues in the game to have a good experience. Unless you have a super strong PC, that will be a chore to process. I'd recommend loading the top nations along with a large database to start with. If you aren't happy with that, you can always add/remove leagues during the game or start a new save with more leagues.

Thanks. Sounds sensible.

Ultimately the experience I am looking for is to play in one league primarily (unless I get sacked)  but have access to the entire database for scouting/transfers. Thanks for the tip on setting 'Large' database.

6 minutes ago, djdaley said:

Thanks. Sounds sensible.

Ultimately the experience I am looking for is to play in one league primarily (unless I get sacked)  but have access to the entire database for scouting/transfers. Thanks for the tip on setting 'Large' database.

No worries.

When setting up a new game in FMT, you'll be presented with a screen asking you which nation you'd like to start in. Once you select that nation, the next screen will be the game setup screen where you'll be able to select the nations and leagues you want to load. Based on the nation you selected, the game will highlight other recommended nations to load (with a small star next to their name). So, for example if you choose England as your starting nation, the game will recommend loading the other major European nations and also neighbouring nations like Scotland, Ireland etc. You can use that as a guide when setting up your game.

Edited by rafaelbenitez

Can't check at the moment but if I remember correctly the number of players loaded depends on how many leagues you choose when starting your save, you can't tick large/medium/small (unless the option IS there and I just missed it). It'll probably help to choose more countries active but not playable rather than unticked.

If you load your typical 5-6 European leagues you'll still be able to find players in South America, Africa, etc. There'll be just less of them available there. Also when you play against more obscure teams from countries not loaded, eg early stages of European cups, you'll sometimes see their whole first eleven are "grey" players, except maybe one or two. Personally it never bothered me since it's occasional.

On a plus side if you're not happy you can load more or different countries before beginning of a new season.

I'm a bit like you, older guy that started with CM3 and played a few versions after that then stopped and came back in 2011 only to find the game too time consuming. FMC and then FMT fits me perfectly, since trying it in 2015 I never looked back at playing full FM again. Too much clutter and chores in it.

Edited by right_winger

5 hours ago, right_winger said:

Can't check at the moment but if I remember correctly the number of players loaded depends on how many leagues you choose when starting your save, you can't tick large/medium/small (unless the option IS there and I just missed it). It'll probably help to choose more countries active but not playable rather than unticked.

If you load your typical 5-6 European leagues you'll still be able to find players in South America, Africa, etc. There'll be just less of them available there. Also when you play against more obscure teams from countries not loaded, eg early stages of European cups, you'll sometimes see their whole first eleven are "grey" players, except maybe one or two. Personally it never bothered me since it's occasional.

On a plus side if you're not happy you can load more or different countries before beginning of a new season.

I'm a bit like you, older guy that started with CM3 and played a few versions after that then stopped and came back in 2011 only to find the game too time consuming. FMC and then FMT fits me perfectly, since trying it in 2015 I never looked back at playing full FM again. Too much clutter and chores in it.

It's definitely available when you start a new game. For PC at least.