I'm currently  in my 4th season with Lyon and I'm pretty pleased with how we are doing. However, PSG are unstoppable at times and the issue I appear to be having is breaking down defensive teams and ending up drawing which in turn leads to us losing ground to PSG. Most teams I'm facing tend to play the defensive 4-1-4-1, even when I am the away team.

This is my go to starting tactic.

Olympique Lyonnais_ Overview.png

So I guess my question to the community is what would you do when in my situation? The majority of times my TI changes tend to be:

Play Wider
Increase Passing Directness
Hit Early Crosses.

Any hints/tips is massively appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by bdixon

I like to add changes to the deeper roles to give the opposition something to think about. 

So I will go wider too,drop the loe or even the the defensive line a notch to hopefully draw them out and then make the wingbacks attacking or change one to an inverted wingback on attack so he runs from deep through the centre. I will change the Mezalla to attack make one of the wingers an actual winger to stretch the opposition stuff like that.

I have to say I have recently watched a lot of Rashidis vids where he puts a lot of stock in match preparation training and since I have taken that a lot more seriously I have rarely had a problem. 

Edited by Crazy_Ivan

3 hours ago, bdixon said:

Olympique Lyonnais_ Overview.png

3 hours ago, bdixon said:

my question to the community is what would you do when in my situation?

Rather than making in-match tweaks, I would make changes to your starting tactic in the first place:

- wouldn't play an AF as a lone striker in an attack-minded and aggressive tactic that looks to dominate matches

- would not play a mezzala and the wide forward on the same side on the same duty (i.e. my mezzala would be on the attack duty)

- would drop the line of engagement slightly (to standard instead of higher), rather than pinning the already defensive opposition even deeper into their defensive shell, adding a split block so as to counter-balance the LOE tweak