removing the mini-pitch from tactics during game

Myros

Hi guys, wondering if anyone knows the correct file for editing the tactics screen that you go to during a match.

Basicly I run a lot of games in 'commentary only' and getting real tired of the waits that happen when going to the tactics screen during a match because it has to load in all the match/3d data to display the silly live mini-pitch overview on the tactic screen. I dont use it or need it (I usualy have the game paused so its a pointless load of data) and have been trying to figure out how to make a custom skin without that 'widget' or whatever it is.

Ive extracted all the fmf files and have been going through them but cant seem to find the specific one for the in-match tactics screen. Anybody more familiar with skinning point me in the right direction please?

Thanks,

M

There should be three easy ways of disabling the mini-pitch that appears in the tactics screen when making a sub:

1. In the top-right corner of the container containing the mini-pitch should be a small down arrow, clicking this should hide the mini pitch.

2. Edit the settings file that should disable the file, in Vista the settings folder is located at:

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\settings\Version 901 if you are using the patch, you may need to enable hidden files/folders and <UserName> is you computer Username.

When you get to that folder scroll down and locate the file called:

show_2d_pitch_on_tactics_panel.xml, open that with notepad and change 'true' to 'false' and save the file and the mini-pitch should disappear.

3. Edit the actual xml file that displays the mini-pitch, this is team selection.xml in the panels folder (that took a bit of finding) - the mini-pitch code is the bit at the bottom of the file, deleting the code between <widget> and </widget> (including the two widget tags - though leave the final </widget> tag) should remove the pitch.

Thanks for the help.

1. That just minimises the mini-pitch .. it doesnt stop it from loading.

2. That I think is the setting for saving the state of a minimized mini-pitch (was set to false by default for me, probably because I keep the mini-pitched minimised anyway).

3. That did the trick! Removing that widget from the team selection file prevents the pitch from loading. Which means while going through a match on 'commentary only' and I want to make a substitution I no longer have to go through all that 'please wait' stuff while it loads in match/3d data that isnt needed.

Cheers!

Myros

Thanks for the help.

1. That just minimises the mini-pitch .. it doesnt stop it from loading.

2. That I think is the setting for saving the state of a minimized mini-pitch (was set to false by default for me, probably because I keep the mini-pitched minimised anyway).

3. That did the trick! Removing that widget from the team selection file prevents the pitch from loading. Which means while going through a match on 'commentary only' and I want to make a substitution I no longer have to go through all that 'please wait' stuff while it loads in match/3d data that isnt needed.

Cheers!

Myros

how do i find the panels folder or team selection.xml

First you'll need to use the Resource Tool (that came with the game) to extract the following fmf file to somewhere outside the installation folder for fm09:

\Football Manager 2009\data\panels.fmf

Now if you are using the default skins that came with the all you need to do is locate the team selection.xml file that was extracted from the panels.fmf file and goto your User Data folder (My Docs/SI/FM09/) create a folder called panels and drop the team selection.xml file into there - for the skins that came with the game (and possibly any skin that doesn't have it's own team selection.xml file) the game will pick your file first.

(if you have downloaded a skin then just drop the file into the panels folder for your skin).

Now you need to edit the file with notepad/notepad++ or any webpage editor.

the mini-pitch code is the bit at the bottom of the file, deleting the code between <widget> and </widget> (including the two widget tags - though leave the final </widget> tag) should remove the pitch.

Save the file, load the game turn the skin cache off and reload your skin and the mini-pitch should disappear.

<widget class="picking_panel" id="pkpn" />

<container class="group_box" id="ptct" >

<layout class="arrange_vertical_attachment" alignment="bottom, extend" offset="0"/>
			<layout class="stick_to_sides_attachment" alignment="horizontal" layout_children="true" inset="0"/>

<widget class="person_list_table" id="pltb" mode="fill_rows, stripe_rows, printable, store_sort_state, drag_rows, drop_on_rows, auto_hide_columns, show_bullets, select_rows, select_multiple" select_event="psls" >

<boolean id="save_current_state" value="true" />
         <boolean id="save_default_state" value="true" />

<!-- default sort by playing position (primary), then picked position, then name -->
				<list id="default_sort_column" >
					<integer value="Ppos" />
					<integer value="Pnam" />
				</list>

</widget>

<!-- panel showing squad selection rules for the next match -->
			<widget class="team_squad_info_panel" id="ssnm" />

<!-- panel showing squad selection rules for the whole squad -->
			<widget class="team_squad_info_panel" id="tsip" />

</container>

</container> <!-- players titled box -->

<!-- filter editing panel -->
	<widget class="filter_panel" id="plfp" width="200">

<!-- buttons area -->
		<container class="group_box" id="btnf" embed_in_frame="true">

<layout class="arrange_horizontal_attachment" alignment="right" embed_in_frame="true"/>
			<layout class="stick_to_sides_attachment" alignment="top" inset="0" layout_children="true" embed_in_frame="true"/>

<layout class="stick_to_sides_attachment" alignment="top,right" embed_in_frame="true" inset="4"/>

<layout class="fit_children_attachment" alignment="vertical" embed_in_frame="true"/>
			<layout class="fit_children_attachment" alignment="horizontal,fill" embed_in_frame="true"/>

<!-- filter menu -->
			<widget class="embedded_action_button" id="plhf" clke="hdfl" text="Hide Filters" auto_size="all" embed_in_frame="true" save_current_state="true" appearance="button/embedded/hide filters/button"/>

</container>

<boolean id="hidn" value="true" />
	</widget>

</container> <!-- main area -->

</panel> <!-- panel -->

Ok, i'm lost :)

Could you pls point me to actual code that i have to remove?

Looks like you in the wrong file. The one you need is "team selection.xml" in the panels folder.

Here's the very bottom few lines of code that need to be change ...

Change:

<record indx="6">
         <flags id="id" value="rati" />
         <boolean id="sort_disabled" value="false"/>
       </record>
     </list>

</widget>
   <!-- table -->

<!-- mini pitch -->
   <widget class="collapsable_box" id="pitc" text="Pitch" save_default_state="true" save_current_state="true">
     <layout class="fit_children_attachment" alignment="vertical" inset="0" />
     <layout class="stick_to_sides_attachment" alignment="top,horizontal" layout_children="1" inset="0" />
     <widget class="match_pitch_panel" height="200" pitch_display_time="false" pitch_display_notifications="false" pitch_draw_dugout="false" pitch_player_radius="0.3" pitch_draw_technical_area="false" pitch_dont_draw_icons_off_pitch="true"/>
   </widget>

</widget>
 <!-- main titled box -->

</panel>

Change to:

<record indx="6">
         <flags id="id" value="rati" />
         <boolean id="sort_disabled" value="false"/>
       </record>
     </list>

</widget>
   <!-- table -->

</widget>
 <!-- main titled box -->

</panel>

Basicly the little section with the title mini-pitch is removed but make sure and leave the final /widget intact.

OMG :)

Thank you...

I was looking at wrong panels.fmf file :)

There was paneles.fmf in /updates/901/data that doesn't contain "team selection.xml"

Can anyone direct me to the right place to look for team selection.xml? I have Windows XP if that makes any difference?

Thanks in advance.

Same here but im running xp.

can anyone help out please.

usually C:\program files (x86)\sports interactive\football manager 2009\tools\resource archiver

without (x86) if xp 32bit version (ie usual one). I put my fm2009 in C:\fm2009 so it maybe is \sega instead of \sports interactive, have not checked default loading area for ages.

It works a treat though, now for someone to come up with a workaround so i can get kits in the match screen to work again.

any advice on how to lower the reading pane in news items? i need to lower it to stop scroll bars appearing on the player/manager widget above.

You need to edit the news panel.xml file from the panels folder, you need to edit this line:

<!-- top panel - keep at fixed height of 320 or it will screw up the graphics -->
<widget class="news_item_panel" id="hlpn" height="320">

Upping the height will make the top panel bigger, 350 stops the scroll bars for me, not sure what the warning is their for, its not messed anything up for me at 350.

Where does this need to be put ive been looking for ages where to put it,i think im looking in the wrong place.

c:\users\(your pc username)\documents\sports interactive\football manager 2009\panels. If using vista

c:\documents and settings\(your pc username)\my documents\sports interactive\football manager 2009\panels. If using xp

Also bear in mind you need to create a panels folder in the football manager 2009 folder.

Hope this helps.

c:\users\(your pc username)\documents\sports interactive\football manager 2009\panels. If using vista

c:\documents and settings\(your pc username)\my documents\sports interactive\football manager 2009\panels. If using xp

Also bear in mind you need to create a panels folder in the football manager 2009 folder.

Hope this helps.

Thanks ngr you are a star!

You need to edit the news panel.xml file from the panels folder, you need to edit this line:

<!-- top panel - keep at fixed height of 320 or it will screw up the graphics -->
<widget class="news_item_panel" id="hlpn" height="320">

Upping the height will make the top panel bigger, 350 stops the scroll bars for me, not sure what the warning is their for, its not messed anything up for me at 350.

I can't find the news panel xml file. Its not in panels.fmf or in the flex skin i use!

Could you possibly upload the file or something? Or help me find it!

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I admit it, I can't get this to work! Don't laugh...

Using Vista, so I extracted the downladed team_selection.xml file into this folder - this is copied from my PC, bar the <user> part:

C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\panels

Reloaded the default skin, not using cache.

Sounded simple enough, but I still get the irritating mini-pitch! Can anybody spot the mistake, because I am sure it's something stupid which I simply missed and just keep staring over time and again.

Also - how to get this to work for other skins? Just drop this file in their panels folder, I presume?

Not sure if it's different for vista but here's what I did:

1. Copy the default skin (extracted from the archives) and give it a different name ie I copied fm2009 and pasted it into D:\(user_name)\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\skins

2. I changed the name of the skin - both the folder name and the name listed in the config file. So that I can see it and select it easily under prefrences. Changed mine to 'my2009'

3. Copy the edited team selection xml file into D:\(user_name)\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\skins\my2009\panels

Your 'my documents' folder will of course be located elsewhere but the file structure should be the same. Mainly it looks like you need to setup your 'new' skin then load it in game.

Hope that helps.

M

heres what you see in the news panel.xml

copy and paste it into notepad

name it news panel.xml (making sure you dont save as a .txt but all files

put the file into your docs/sportsinteractive/footballmanager2009/panels folder,

then copy it and paste into the skins/panels folder within the same mydocs structure

you then have it in both if you decide not to use a skin

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<panel title="News Panel" save_current_state="true">

<!-- MAIN AREA -->
 <layout class="stick_to_sides_attachment" alignment="all" inset="0" />

<container class="titled_box" title="News">
   <layout class="arrange_vertical_attachment" alignment="bottom, extend" offset="0" gap="4"/>
   <layout class="stick_to_sides_attachment" alignment="horizontal" layout_children="true" inset="0" />
   <layout class="stick_to_sides_attachment" alignment="all" inset="0" />

<!-- holds all panels -->
   <container>

<layout class="arrange_vertical_attachment" alignment="top,extend" offset="0" gap="-4" />
     <layout class="stick_to_sides_attachment" alignment="horizontal" layout_children="true" inset="0" />

<widget class="news_item_panel" id="hlpn" height="330">
       <boolean id="****" value="false"/>
       <!-- do not show heading in titled box title -->
       <boolean id="sdit" value="false"/>
       <!-- do not show the date in the titled box title -->
       <boolean id="sdih" value="false"/>
       <!-- do not show the date in the headline widget -->
     </widget>

<!-- bottom two panels -->
     <container class="group_box">

<layout class="arrange_horizontal_attachment" alignment="left" layout="-1" offset="0" />
       <layout class="stick_to_sides_attachment" alignment="vertical" layout_children="true" inset="0" />

<widget class="news_item_list_panel" id="nilp" title="News"/>

</container>

</container>

<!-- filter editing panel -->
   <widget class="filter_panel" id="filp" width="300">

<!-- buttons area -->
     <container id="btnf" embed_in_frame="true">

<layout class="arrange_horizontal_attachment" alignment="right" embed_in_frame="true" gap="0" offset="4"/>
       <layout class="stick_to_sides_attachment" alignment="top" inset="0" layout_children="true" embed_in_frame="true"/>
       <layout class="stick_to_sides_attachment" alignment="top,right" embed_in_frame="true" inset="4"/>

<layout class="fit_children_attachment" alignment="vertical" embed_in_frame="true"/>
       <layout class="fit_children_attachment" alignment="horizontal,fill" gap="8" embed_in_frame="true"/>

<!-- filter menu -->
       <widget class="embedded_action_button" id="nwhf" clke="hdfl" text="Hide Filters" auto_size="all" embed_in_frame="true" save_current_state="true" appearance="button/embedded/hide filters/button"/>

</container>

<boolean id="hidn" value="true"/>

</widget>

</container>

</panel>

Yes the mini-pitch is skin dependant, if your using a custom downloaded skin just find the same file (team selection xml) in the skins panel folder and make the same edit. If the skin doesnt have a team selection xml then that means it is using the default one, so you can just copy your edited one into the skins panel folder and your set.

M

Archived