How to make your way in the Primera Liga (or not as the case may be)

Dixie Flatline

14th of June 2008

Real Betis wastes its time bidding £3.2 million for Gavião.

The Ukraine failed to capitalise on an early goal as they suffered their second consecutive loss of Euro 2008, this time to Croatia. The Croatians conceded after 7 minutes to Yourrassowski, but by the time Gatilov had scored the Ukraine’s second goal, Croatia had three on the board. Javorcic equalised on 22 minutes, Budan put them in the lead on 32 minutes, and Toth sealed the win on 48 minutes. The Ukrainians are going home after their third group game, while Poland is through to the quarter-finals.

I’m very happy to announce to the press that Alex Notman will remain at Cartagonova for the next four years after we agreed terms on his new contract. The Scottish striker been an absolute revelation since joining from VfB Stuttgart 2½ seasons ago, and already has two league championships and a European championship to his name since coming here. He will be contracted to Cartagonova until 2012 at least, by which stage he will be 32 years old. Hopefully, that will dissuade the vultures from trying to pick him away from Cartagonova, especially since there is no minimum release fee clause in the contract.

15th of June 2008

Yugoslavia bounced back from a goal to Stephen McPhail after 2 minutes for Ireland to win 2-1 at Ninian Park in Cardiff to keep itself alive in the tournament. Ireland will leave the tournament after its final group game against Spain, with two straight losses. Milosevic and Kezman scored the goals on 28 and 44 minutes to seal the victory for Yugoslavia, and they can qualify for the next stage if they upset Norway in their final group game.

In the evening game from Pittodrie in Aberdeen, Germany brought Albania back to earth by winning 3-1. Sebastian Backer and Alexander Zickler had Germany 2-0 up by the quarter-hour mark, and while Ylli Shabani cut Germany’s lead in twain on 65 minutes, Luciano Galletti restored Germany’s two goal cushion with five minutes left in the game.

As Ramón Salas’ contract expires, Kristian Tanem ties his future to Cartagonova for another four years with a contract worth £6 million over that period of time.

16th of June 2008

Real Betis offers £7 million for Tanem and £8 million for Notman. Still not close for either player, I’m afraid.

Filippo Inzaghi of Roma is named the European Footballer of the Year, ahead of Real Madrid’s Sabino and Barcelona’s Patrick Kluivert. Ronaldinho is named the South American Footballer of the Year, beating off Hernan Crespo and Ronaldo. Iván Vidal is named European Goalkeeper of the Year, ahead of César Laínez of Barcelona and Mattias Asper of Celta Vigo. After two seasons of being named as runner-up, Shimon Gershon takes home the European Defender of the Year award, with Cristian Adami and Maurizio Lanzano second and third respectively. Alex Notman, despite playing every single game as a striker, is named as European Midfielder of the Year, ahead of club mate Jaime Garrido and Roma’s Vicente. In addition to being European Player of the Year, Inzaghi takes home the European Striker of the Year award, ahead of Sabino and Kluivert.

For the second consecutive year, I’m named as Spanish Manager of the Year, ahead of Celta Vigo’s Señor Víctor Fernández and Real Madrid’s Señor César García García. Kluivert finished five goals clear in the league of Notman, with Sabino a further seven goals behind in the chase for the top scorer award in Spain. Asper won the Primera Liga Goalkeeper of the Year Award, with Sergio Segura of relegated Deportivo La Coruña and Sergio of Sporting Gijón behind. Kluivert also wins the Spanish Player of the Year Award, holding off Notman and Pablo Aimar.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno, you go to Scotland for a few weeks and upon your return it looks like this developed into an International story?

*makes mental note to catch up at earliest possible opportunity*

Let me just do my Ali G imitation first though... Maximum respect for still going strong. icon_smile.gif

Thank you all for your wonderful words of praise. I'm very pleased to have been able to entertain all the readers for so long (around 13 months since I began this thread). It takes me considerable amount of time to play and write each game, along with the other parts of the story that links it all together. But your reaction makes it all worth while, and I'm happy to continue for the foreseeable future (at least to World Cup 2010 in game time, which will take me a couple of months at least in real time to reach).

I hope you all continue to enjoy the story as much as I enjoy continuing it.

Dixie

So now we continue the story of Cartagonova and Spain!

17th of June 2008

Back to Euro 2008, and England will leave the tournament very disappointed not to qualify for the next round after they were held to a 1-1 draw by Group 1 winner Russia. PSG midfielder Yegor Titov scored for Russia on 40 minutes, only to have it cancelled out by AC Milan’s Joe Cole on 52 minutes. But England couldn’t find the required breakthrough to seal a place in the quarter-final, and instead, Scotland will play in the quarter-finals as they defeated the hapless Austria 1-0 at Hampden Park. Manchester United midfielder Willie Howie scored the decisive goal on the stroke of half-time as they overtook England at the death.

In the evening round of games, Group 2 is finalised. Poland held off a fast-finishing [/b]Croatia[/b] at the Vetch Field in Swansea. Brozek and Frankowski scored twice before half-time for Poland, but Vucko gave Croatia some hope when he scored on 79 minutes. However, it was too little too late for Croatia and they will have to be content with the runners-up spot. In the other game, there was little inspiration in a 0-0 draw between the Ukraine and Wales, especially when the Welsh needed a victory to qualify for the quarter-finals.

Keegan is sacked by the English FA after he failed to bring England into the quarter-finals.

18th of June 2008

I’m becoming exasperated by my colleagues at Real Betis. They now waste their time bidding £7.5 million for Jaime Garrido. I will not sell the boy back to the club that wasted his talent when they had him to begin with.

In the afternoon games, Group 4 is finalised. Brave Albania is in the end no match for Italy as Michael Zago of Udinese put Italy in the lead on 16 minutes. Bogdani brought Albania level through a penalty on 31 minutes, but Italy’s Vincenzo Iaquinta scored on 41 minutes to seal second place in the group. In the meantime, Bulgaria did well against Germany but could still only take home a 1-1 draw. Carsten Jancker scored on 22 minutes, but Ivanov scored the equaliser on 82 minutes. Still, the point was enough for Germany to take top spot in Group 4.

Euro 2008 - Group 3, Game 3: Spain v Ireland

To complete our group games, we play Ireland at Wrexham’s Racecourse Ground. Ireland look for the early goal and Stephen McPhail goes close on 5 minutes with a shot that just clears the cross-bar. But Raúl sets up Llorente who replies in kind a moment later. Donnelly, however, makes the save for the cost of a corner, which Garrido can’t use to any great effect. On 10 minutes, Mista chips the ball into the penalty area where Llorente flings himself at the cross and finds the ball with his head. Unfortunately, his shot is off-target. Six minutes later, Raúl misses a similar opportunity. Ireland attempt to tighten the screws on our forwards, while Barrett blasts a drive high and wide of the mark on 22 minutes. But on 29 minutes, we take apart Ireland’s defence when César advances unhindered down the right and finds Raúl unattended in the box. The PSG striker thumps an unstoppable shot past Donnelly to put us in the lead! icon_biggrin.gif That about wraps it up for the first half, although the referee does find the time to yellow card Gavião, thereby suspending him for the quarter-final, if we make it.

Eight minutes into the second half, however, a move started by Borja and Amaya is continued intelligently by Vicente, who finds Llorente alone in the box. As the Irish defenders attempt to react in time, the Real Sociedad striker thunders a drive past Donnelly into the back of the net, and we’re on our way! icon_smile.gif Only to be brought back to earth when Stephen McPhail grabs a goal on 55 minutes after a tidy run through the heart of our defence. On 68 minutes, Garrido flights the cross over the top of Ireland’s defence and Raúl heads the ball towards Ireland’s goal, only to have Paul Dillon clear the ball off the line. Diego, on for Gavião earlier in the half, then misses with a spectacular bicycle kick on 76 minutes, while Mista tests Donnelly’s razor-sharp reflexes with an excellent shot a moment later. Laínez pulls off a great save to stop Barrett’s drive on 80 minutes, while Donnelly saves twice against Raúl. We keep the pressure on right until the death and it pays off for a third time when César crosses for Llorente to drive home low past Donnelly! icon_cool.gif We finish the group games with a flourish!

Spain (4-3-1-2): Laínez; Borja, Amaya, Marchena, César; Mista, Gavião (Diego 68), Garrido; Vicente; Raúl ©, Llorente.

Ireland (4-4-2): Donnelly; Harte ©, Dillon, Shields (Dunne 26), Baker; Partridge, McPhail, Breslan, Fleming; Keane (Duff 49), Barrett.

Final score: Spain 3:1 Ireland

MoM - Joseba Llorente

After the game, I field questions from the sports journalists wanting to know what I’ve thought of Amaya’s performances so far in the tournament. I told the honest truth - that Amaya has played excellently so far and that I hope he keeps doing what he’s been doing.

We qualify top of Group 3, ahead of Norway, who defeated Yugoslavia 2-1. Christer George scored for Norway on 13 minutes, but Drulic equalised on 20 minutes for Yugoslavia. However, Per Vener Rønning scored the winning goal four minutes later. The final group looks like this:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Q Spain 3 2 0 0 6 3 1 0 0 3 0 9

2nd Q Norway 3 0 0 1 0 3 2 0 0 4 2 6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3rd Yugoslavia 3 1 0 1 3 3 0 0 1 2 3 3

4th Ireland 3 0 0 1 1 2 0 0 2 2 5 0

</pre>

We’re drawn to play Italy at Hampden Park, next Saturday (21st of June 2008). Be there! icon_biggrin.gif I lose Gavião for that match after he picked up two yellow cards.

In the evening, I’m startled to hear that Barcelona manager, Señor Lorenzo Serra Ferrer has allowed Gerard to be put on the transfer list at his own request. At a cost of only £9 million, the 29 year old attacking midfielder would be an absolute snip of a bargain, and I quickly instruct my agents in Cartagena and Barcelona to prepare and send a bid to Barcelona for the midfielder.

Not surprisingly, Yugoslavia sacks its manager, Bora Milutinovic, for not qualifying for the quarter-finals.

19th of June 2008

Diawara is linked to a £500,000 move to Napoli. On my behalf, Luis Sosa talks up the mooted transfer. On the other hand, the media also links Gavião to a £3.7 million to Real Betis. On strict instructions, Sosa firmly denies that any transfer would be accepted as Gavião is still very much part of Cartagonova’s plans, and we would not handicap ourselves by selling one of the very best midfielders in the world.

The transfer window opens today. Interesting moves include:

· Frank Lampard’s £2.2 million transfer from Celtic to Villarreal;

· English international defender Izzy Iriekpen moves from AC Milan to Valencia for £9 million;

· Quique joins Valencia from Atlético Madrid for £7 million;

· Pablo Islas signs on for Real Betis from Hércules for £5 million;

· Zlatan Muslimovic from Borussia Dortmund to Cartagonova for £5 million;

· Enrique de Lucas returns to Spain and particularly Real Betis after spending several seasons in Greece with Olympiakos on a free transfer;

· Edú joins Cartagonova from Borussia Dortmund for £4.5 million;

· Ola Otfors-Palmqvist joins Cartagonova for £1.9 million from Getafe;

· Christoffer Källkvist goes in the opposite direction on a free transfer;

· Cartagonova take Tottenham Hotspurs’ midfielder Byron Bubb on a free transfer;

· Carl Laurie’s proposed transfer to Lleida collapses as Lleida cannot afford the £1 million price tag; and

· Jesús joins Cartagonova from Lleida for £2.9 million.

In the evening, at a lavish gala ball that I, for obvious reasons, cannot attend, Alex Notman is voted the Supporters’ Player of the Year for the second straight season - no surprises there. What is surprising, however, is that the chairman, Señor Florentino Manzano, announces the second, much more ambitious stage of the stadium expansion. The second stage includes 12,000 extra seats in the stadium, to bring the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena to a capacity of 36,775. This is surprising, because we only averaged 19,917 spectators per game, which is a record, but about 4,000 short of capacity. I ask whether the board has plans to improve the training facilities, and to my surprise and pleasure, the board indicates that they have listened to me and plans are in train to improve the training facilities. Hopefully this means that I can attract the likes of Gerard and other big ticket players to the club, while holding on to those “franchise players†like Notman and Garrido I already have.

20th of June 2008

In the morning, Trent McClenahan is linked to a £6.75 million move to Turkish club Istanbulspor. I’m surprised to see that amount bandied about for McClenahan, who performed decidedly poorly in his first season at Cartagonova. I still think he has potential when he settles down, but the price is attractive. They cancel each other out, and I’m left to make no comment.

In the evening, I’m informed by the Spanish FA that Cartagonova has been given £5 million as its cut of the television revenue for the new season. Via teleconference from Spain’s new base at Largs in Ayrshire, I’m informed by the chairman that nothing less than success in the league especially, and also the European Champions' League if we can manage it, will suffice in the 2008/09 season. This is now my ninth season in charge, and we’re at the pinnacle of ambition here at the club.

21st of June 2008

Barcelona rejects my £9 million bid for Gerard, saying that they don’t want to sell a prize player to a rival club.

We bid farewell to Óscar Ãlvarez who joins Tenerife after five seasons of outstanding service along side the likes of Fernando Couto and Shimon Gershon: Óscar Ãlvarez (31 y/o, ESP, D C): 131(7) apps, 5 goals, 4 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 6.91

With Euro 2008 moving into the knock-out stage, it’s time to preview the quarter-finals. We begin at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff with the afternoon game that pits Poland against Scotland. With three victories from three group games, Poland easily won Group 2, doing what they needed to do to edge out the Ukraine 1-0 in the first game, out-lasting Wales 3-2 in their second game, before clinching the clean sweep with a 2-1 victory over Croatia. Pawel Brozek and Radoslaw Kaluzny lead the goalscoring stakes for Poland with two goals each, while experienced Juventus midfielder Miroslaw Szymkowiak and Bari midfielder Maciej Zurawski have been impressive in creating the opportunities to score goals. However, Poland will be hampered by the suspension dished out to experienced central defenders Michal Stasiak and Piotr Bazler, who will both miss the game against Scotland. With only the inexperienced Marcin Gruszka (1 cap), Slawomir Ciesielski (6 caps), and Jacek Dudek (4 caps) as cover, Poland are at their most vulnerable at the time they can least afford it.

As host, Scotland expected to make it to the knock-out stage, even if the pundits didn’t quite agree with that prediction. Much doom and gloom was predicted when Alex Notman was left out of the squad for Euro 2008, but the team has prospered despite him. A heroic 1-0 victory over the ‘auld enemy’, England, in the opening game of Euro 2008 set the stage for Scotland’s progress in the competition. However, Russia got the better of them 2-0 in their second game, and everything hinged on the third game. However, Manchester United midfielder, Willie Howie, made himself a national hero when he struck the only goal needed to leapfrog England into second place behind Russia and into the quarter-finals. However, it has been long recognised that the passionate and proud support of Scotland’s fans gives them an extra player on the field, and being forced to relocate to Wales is not ideal for Scotland’s chances of progressing. Nor is the suspension handed out to experienced defender Steven McMillan, while Middlesbrough defender Peter Cannero has returned to England after strained knee ligaments ended his tournament. With Howie and Darren Fletcher in midfield, Scotland certainly do look buoyant, but despite the best efforts their strikers, no Scottish player has more than one goal to their name in the tournament so far. Despite Poland’s handicap of having inexperienced central defenders, it is likely that Scotland will fall out of the tournament at this stage.

In a game worthy of a final, Spain and Italy do battle at Hampden Park in Glasgow this evening. Under the sure hand of manager, Señor Dixie Flatline, Spain won all three group games impressively, notching up nine goals in the process and conceding three - two in the first game where then first-choice keeper, Iván Vidal, was sent off. However, Spain overcame the disadvantage of having only ten men on the field to defeat Yugoslavia 3-2, while they easily dismissed the challenge of World Cup runners-up Norway 3-0 in the next game. Ireland came and went with a 3-1 defeat beside their name. While the captain Raúl has played well during the tournament so far, Spain has not relied upon its experienced striker as much as some would have suspected entering into the tournament. Instead, the load has been shared around, with Llorente also scoring two goals, while Vicente, Jaime Garrido, Mista, César and Gavião all have one goal to their name. In terms of form, Vicente and defender Iván Amaya have been consistently good performers, with Amaya named as one of the players so far in this tournament. However, Spain’s defence still remains suspect amongst the experts and pundits, and some feel that the strong attack that Italy boasts may undo Spain at this hurdle. It is certainly a shame for the neutrals to see one of these two great football nations bow out at this stage, but Spanish supporters hope that their country’s good form in the group stage carries through to the quarter-finals and beyond.

Like Spain, Italy progressed through the group stage without losing a game, but unlike their opponent, they only won one game, drawing the others. Against world champion Germany, Italy took the lead only to concede the equaliser with seven minutes to play. Against Bulgaria, Italy went out to a 2-0 lead before being pegged back to a 3-3 draw. Even against lowly Albania, Italy struggled, winning a must-win game only 2-1 after Albania had equalised through a penalty. While the attacking partnership of Emanuale Calaiò and Vincenzo Iaquinta has been impressive and dangerous, Italy’s normally strong defence has been somewhat weakened by the departure of Fabio Cannavaro from international football. His long-time partner, Alessandro Nesta, has tried to keep the defence together, but it appears that the days of an impenetrable Italian defence are gone. Italy are practically at full strength, with the only doubt surrounding the fitness of Daniele Ficagna who has missed the last two games with an injured foot and is not fully fit for tonight’s game.

Tomorrow’s games see the re-match of World Cup 2006’s final when Germany takes on Norway at the Racecourse Ground in Wrexham. Topping Group 4 by dint of a better goal difference than Italy, Germany seems a little shaky, especially considering that central defender David Klimek is suspended for the quarter-final, and midfielder Peter Rösler and striker Luciano Galletti are injured. However, Sebastian Backer of Bayern München has been hailed as one of the stars of the tournament, and while he is fit, the typical German defence will be there. The injury to Rösler may open the door for veteran midfielder Alexander Zickler to return to the first eleven, while either Florian Bruns or Christian Tiffert will take Galletti’s spot in the eleven.

The holes in the ranks of the Germans gives Norway the chance to wreak revenge for their World Cup final loss from two years ago. On paper, it appears that Norway’s squad is stronger than Germany, and they should be favourite to move into the semi-finals. Players such as strikers John Carew and Christer George, and midfielder Simen Brenne, have plenty of experience in Europe’s top leagues, while they are well-supported by Kristian Tanem, who has already won a Spanish league championship in his first season with Cartagonova. With Norway favouring a 5-3-2 system, the defence is also sturdy and experienced, led by the veteran Alf Inge Haaland, and supported by Manchester United defender Frode Kippe, and Cartagonova utility player Per Vener Rønning. Norway will be without veteran defender Trond Andersen, who returns to England with an injured thigh incurred against Yugoslavia in the last game of the group phase. Vegard Heggem, injured in Norway’s 3-0 loss against Spain, is doubtful for tomorrow’s game, but should Norway advance to the semi-finals, he should be fit. Two victories from three games was enough for Norway to finish second behind Group 3 winner Spain, and a squad that looks stronger than Germany should see them through into the semi-finals of Euro 2008.

The last quarter-final of Euro 2008 pits Russia againstCroatia in an eastern European confrontation. Russia played just well enough to earn top spot in Group 1, edging out Scotland by a point. Two wins and a draw did it for Russia - they begun their campaign with a 2-1 victory over Austria, defeated Scotland 2-0 and then drew with England 1-1. The goals have been shared by the Russians, with all five goals scored by five different players in the three games. Experienced winger Rolan Gusev has been influential playing through midfield, while Real Madrid striker Dmitry Bulykin has been lively in front of goal. This Russian squad certainly doesn’t have the pedigree of some of the great USSR sides of the past, but their ability to dictate terms through their matches and ability to share the goals around the side are good assets to possess in Euro 2008.

Croatia struggled to finish second in Group 2, finishing five points behind runaway group winner Poland. To top that, they are now burdened by injuries to key players, including midfielder Ivan Javorcic, full-back Marko Babic, winger Mihael Mikic and defender Goran Sablic. This has weakened Croatia considerably, and much will rely on dynamic midfielder Jurica Vranjes and experienced midfielder Igor Biscan and defender Dario Simic to carry the weight of Croatia in the quarter-final. Winger Sasa Toth has been impressive to date in Euro 2008, scoring twice, but a lack of firepower will prove to be Croatia’s undoing in the quarter-finals.

As expected, Poland is the first country through to the semi-finals, knocking out the host Scotland 1-0 with a goal on 25 minutes to captain Miroslaw Szymkowiak. Poland dominated the game and should have had more but for some inspirational keeping by Burnley keeper Alan Combe, making only his third appearance for his country.

Euro 2008 - Quarter-Final: Spain v Italy

It might be regarded as many as the final they would have loved to have seen, but all I want is an easy path through to the semi-final, hopefully without resorting to the draining extra-time and penalty lottery. Diego is my preferred replacement for Gavião, while Francisco Javier Zubizarreta takes the place of the tired Garrido for the quarter-final. However, my plans are completely thrown out of whack when Diego headbutts Nesta right in front of the referee. At least Nesta has the good grace to retaliate, throwing Diego to the ground. The referee consults with his linesman and then shows both players the red card, and we’re both down to ten men each. Italy responds by taking the gamble of putting Cassano in defence.

I’m more cautious, dragging off the unfortunate Llorente and replacing him with Artur, while leaving Raúl to operate by himself up front, with support from Vicente. Zubizarreta feeds the Roma man a moment later, and he tests Abbiati from distance with a swerving shot that skims off the greasy surface to cause the Italian keeper some problems. However, the keeper nicks the ball off Vicente’s feet as he follows up his own shot. On 14 minutes, Lorenzini finds Sommese galloping away down the right side of midfield, and the Torino winger grabs the ball, and aims a cross towards the back post. Up pops Zambrotta to out-jump César and send a perfectly weighted header into the back of our net. icon_frown.gif It takes us some time to adjust, but eight minutes later, we do so perfectly when Artur and Raúl combine to set up Vicente, and the midfielder doesn’t let us down, slamming home the equaliser to my joy. Raúl then wastes a golden opportunity a moment later to take the lead when unchallenged, he finds himself in Italy’s penalty box, only to scuff his shot well wide of the mark. When Mista takes control of the loose ball from the goal kick and finds Raúl again, amazingly, unattended inside the penalty area, I think to myself surely the captain will do it. But he fails to hit the target, and Italy are left to fight another day. Not for long, however. Raúl tries a spectacular bicycle kick from Artur’s clever pass, and while Abbiati manages to smother it, the ball squirms loose for Vicente to gleefully smash home his 20th international goal for Spain! icon_biggrin.gif

I caution the players to remain in charge of their faculties and keep their eye on the ball in the second half. I don’t want any more stupid antics ruining our chances of reaching the semi-final. We’ve scored twice already against Italy, and we don’t want to run the risk of being caught out being too greedy for our own good. But then again, if the opportunity presents itself, we shouldn’t be backward in coming forward, if you know what I mean! icon_smile.gif Vicente does - he tries his luck twelve minutes into the new half, but unfortunately can only find the crowd behind Abbiati’s goal, rather than the back of the net. Zubizarreta finds enough space behind Lorenzini to leave the Italian defender wondering where the Espanyol man is, but Abbiati does well to parry the hard shot away for a corner kick. From the corner, however, Zubizarreta measures it nicely for Mista to strike first time into the back of the net, and with 15 minutes left to play, we guarantee our passage through to the semi-finals! icon_biggrin.gif Unfortunately, we lose Artur to an injury late in the piece, but it isn’t too serious, and if required he might be able to play the semi-final. Of course, we lose Diego for the semi-final, but Gavião is available again, so not too much harm done today.

Spain (4-3-1-2): Laínez; Borja, Amaya, Marchena, César; Mistas, Diego, Zubizarreta; Vicente; Raúl ©, Llorente (Artur 7 (Ballesteros 91)).

Italy (4-4-2): Abbiati; Bellini, Lorenzini, Nesta ©, Zauri; Zambrotta, Pinardi, Ghetti (Zago 71), Sommese; Cassano, Calaiò.

Final score: Spain 3:1 Italy

MoM - Vicente

I receive a message of congratulations from the Spanish FA for an excellent victory over Italy.

Cartagonova begins the season with a home game against Elche on 14th of September 2008, then travels to play Osasuna a week later, before returning to the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena to host Athletic Bilbao on 28th of September 2008.

22nd of June 2008

Atlético Madrid wastes its time bidding £2.9 million for César Cabrera.

In an exciting quarter-final, Germany triumphs 4-3 over Norway at the Racecourse Ground. John Carew gave Norway the lead after 9 minutes, but Germany equalised through Florian Bruns on 27 minutes. Vegard Heggem scored a rare goal right on half-time to put Norway back in front, but Germany scored three times in the space of 13 minutes - goals to Deisler, Tiffert and a penalty converted by Bruns. John Carew pulled a goal back with a minute remaining, but it wasn’t enough for Norway, and once more Germany triumphed against the odds. Tanem and Rønning play for Norway, and since it is Rønning’s tenth international, Cartagonova pays Salamanca £1.9 million as part of the transfer deal that brought him to the champion club of Spain.

The last quarter-final sees Russia win 3-2 over Croatia. Yegor Titov scores after just two minutes, but Biscan converts a penalty earned by Jurica Vucko on 11 minutes. However, veteran striker Vladimir Bestchastnykh restored Russia’s lead just 45 seconds later, and Dmitry Bulykin scored Russia’s third goal on 22 minutes. Croatia pulled a goal back on 38 minutes through Igor Tudor, but their lack of firepower told against them in the end, and the four semi-finalists have been decided.

I learn that Djibril Diawara is called up to Senegal’s squad for a World Cup qualifier.

Ivano Bonetti is sacked by the Italian FA, while Nils Johan Semb loses his job of managing Norway after both Italy and Norway failed to progress as far as expected at Euro 2008.

23rd of June 2008

We draw Poland in the semi-final of Euro 2008, and we go back to Wales, as we play in the Millennium Stadium. The other semi-final puts together Russia and Germany.

25th of June 2008

Vladimir Bestchastnykh scores the decisive goal in Russia’s 1-0 victory over Germany in the first semi-final in front of about 60,000 spectators at Celtic Park in Glasgow. But Russia will play the final without influential winger Rolan Gusev, who was injured during the game and will miss up to three weeks of football. The praise, however, belonged to Lens midfielder Alexey Smertin.

Euro 2008 - Semi-Final: Poland v Spain

“… So, to determine who would meet Russia in the final of Euro 2008, Poland and Spain, the two form sides of the tournament, clash in front of 72,494 expectant spectators at Cardiff’s Millennium Park. And, in a match befitting both countries’ stature amongst the giants of the world game, the crowd attending live and the millions of viewers around the world were treated to an entertaining game of the highest order. The only sad thing was that one side had to lose, such was the high level of skill, flair and creativity in evidence tonight. In all, seven goals were scored by both countries, including three by one man, and the climax was as thrilling as you’d ever want to see at any level of this beautiful game.â€

“Surprisingly, the game began quite sedately, as both sides sought to establish the psychological advantage over the other. Poland, however, burst into life on 14 minutes when Brozek, controlling things from the centre of the park, found Zurawski lurking with intent on the right of midfield. The midfielder instantly put the ball ahead of Kaluzny, who returned the ball back to the influential Pawel Brozek. Brozek measured his pass perfectly into the path of Frankowski, and in an instant Poland was shot into the lead by a beautiful finish from the veteran Lyon striker. Nine minutes later, and Barcelona keeper César Laínez pulled off a spectacular save to deny Brozek claiming Poland’s second goal from a cross by the mercurial Szymkowiak. It wasn’t until the 43rd minute of the match that Spain threatened Poland’s goal, when a long, direct ball from the back launched by Iván Amaya was perfect for Joseba Llorente to head towards goal. However, Malkowski scrambled across his goal just quickly enough to push the ball away for a corner, which Garrido couldn’t use to Spain’s advantage.â€

“Heading into half-time, then, Poland held a deserved 1-0 lead over Spain, and had one foot in the final. Although Señor Dixie Flatline must have revved up his troops at the interval, Poland was the first to attack when Szymkowiak reached the by-line with the ball at his feet before cutting it back intelligently for Kus to try his luck. However, Laínez kept Spain in the game with another great reaction save, and immediately from his distribution to Marchena, Spain was equal as Vicente gathered the Celta Vigo defender’s long pass, dribbled his way into a shooting position and from 25 yards, crashed home a thunderbolt that Malkowski had no chance of saving. Señor Flatline and his coaching staff thought their country should have had a penalty moments later when Stasiak clattered into Garrido inside the area, but the referee turned down their appeals. It seemed a crucial decision when on 52 minutes, Poland took back the lead. Stasiak, advancing from the back, found himself on the right of midfield, and he intelligently found Kaluzny making himself available for the pass. Kaluzny delivered the ball into the penalty area where Frankowski headed it home.â€

“However, with the place in a final in an international tournament at stake, Spain refused to lie down. Moments after Poland’s second goal, Gavião and Garrido combined to set up Raúl, but the captain couldn’t keep his shot down. Spain then suffered a blow when keeper Laínez was forced off with an injury. But there was no stopping Vicente, who found himself in the right place at the right time to finish off a superb team move, with Malkowski motionless. Casillas, the substitute keeper for Spain, then denied Frankowski his hat-trick a moment later, while down the other end, on 64 minutes, Casillas’ long ball was perfect for Vicente to fire home from long range, and suddenly, Spain was in the lead.â€

“Now it was Poland’s turn to chase the game. For 25 minutes, they seemed unable to penetrate Spain’s defence, but with time rapidly ticking away in injury time at the end of the game, they rolled the dice once more when Borja gave away a free kick on Kaluzny. Zurawski took control of the free kick and placed it with pinpoint accuracy in the top right corner of Casillas’ net. Spain’s coaches were deflated on the bench, but Cartagonova’s Jaime Garrido wasn’t to be so crestfallen. César, Borja and Marchena kept possession of the ball long enough to allow Llorente to find his way into the penalty area. The Real Sociedad striker unselfishly centred the ball for the onrushing Garrido, and the winger crashed home the winner, to the unrestrained delight of his teammates and the coaching staff on the benches. The referee then blew the whistle for full-time, thereby setting up the tantalising final of Spain versus Russia!â€

Well, that was certainly a roller-coaster ride I don’t want to repeat again in a hurry. For most of the game, Poland was the better team, but Vicente was Herculean in his efforts to keep us in the hunt. Without him, we would have been blown off the pitch. Garrido, too, should be congratulated for putting in one last effort when, I’m sure, his lungs were fit to burst and his legs felt like iron. He won’t be the only one, either, as many of my players are feeling the strain of such high-intensity competition squeezed into such a short period of time. But now there is only one game separating us from a piece of history, and I mean to achieve that history! icon_biggrin.gif

Poland (5-3-2): Malkowski; Wisio, Machowski (Dudek 70), Bazler, Stasiak, Kus; Szymkowiak ©, Zurawski, Kaluzny; Frankowski, Brozek (Klimek 53).

Spain (4-1-2-1-2): Laínez (Casillas 56): Borja, Amaya, Marchena, César; Gavião; Garrido, Zubizarreta; Vicente; Raúl ©, Llorente.

Final score: Poland 3:4 Spain

MoM - Vicente

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ghostwriter:

Pretty successful tournament so far.. icon_cool.gif

Good luck in the Final!! icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, ghostwriter. Yes, it's been successful so far, but the biggest game is yet to come! icon_smile.gif

I hope you're comfortable in your chair! icon_smile.gif

Dixie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gino:

Pure magic Dixie. Gets better and better and better. Here's to 2000 replies icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Gino! icon_smile.gif There is a long way to go towards 2000 posts, but that would be something to achieve! icon_cool.gif

Dixie

Let's get some more from Cartagonova before the week begins!

26th of June 2008

I demand loudly of Luis Sosa who printed the unprintable rubbish about Kristian Tanem leaving the champion club of Spain to move to a relegated club in Deportivo La Coruña for an amount (£3.6 million) less than half what he is worth on the open market? Luis tells me the name of the idiot journalist who wrote the idiot article, and I give him a piece of my mind, all the way from Wales.

28th of June 2008

Barnsley offers Cartagonova £1.1 million for Carl Laurie. I accept the offer.

29th of June 2008

Euro 2008 - Final: Spain v Russia

It’s hard to break the news to Iván Amaya and Iván Vidal that they will not play in the final, at least from the start. Iván Amaya is only about 75% fit, and I prefer Iker Casillas in goal to my club captain, because Vidal already has been sent off once this competition, and I don’t want to run the risk of that happening again, despite Vidal’s protestations that he couldn’t possibly be that stupid.

Three minutes into the game, Francisco Javier Zubizarreta unleashes a powerful shot after being set up by Llorente, but Nigmatullin pulls off a good save. However, Russia fails to clear Garrido’s corner adequately and César, Amaya’s replacement, advances deep into Russian territory before finding Zubizarreta. The Espanyol winger rushes into the penalty area, lines up his angles, then strikes home a brilliant shot! icon_biggrin.gif Bestchastnykh hits Gavião with a free kick on 8 minutes, but it isn’t until the 20th minute of the game that they actually test Iker Casillas. Bezrodny finds a way through my defence to put in the cross for Bulykin to have a shot at goal, but the Real Madrid keeper has it covered. On 26 minutes, Bestchastnykh hits a powerful shot, but hits it wide of the mark, and that basically covers it for the rest of the first half.

Llorente opens up straight after half-time, capitalising on good work by our captain, Raúl. Unfortunately for us, Nigmatullin pulls off an excellent finger-tip save to deny the Real Sociedad striker. A couple of moments later, the Russian keeper does the same to stop Raúl doubling our lead, who then proceeds to hit the post on 52 minutes. We’re lucky to escape when Bulykin finds enough space inside our area to have a shot at goal, but he sends it inches wide of the mark. I then decide to introduce a fresh pair of legs, and I surprise the spectators by replacing Jaime Garrido with the hitherto unused Joseba Etxeberría. Five minutes later, and the Athletic Bilbao forward has doubled our lead. Zubizarreta is the architect, with a defence-splitting ball that Etxeberría capitalised upon, thundering it past the Russian keeper! icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif Russia responds by substituting a defender and a forward for another defender and a defensive midfielder - an interesting choice when you’re trailing by two goals! icon_smile.gif On 71 minutes, Vladimir But hits the post from a long way out, while Kardanov on 79 minutes skims Casillas’ cross-bar with a swerving drive. On 87 minutes, Russia finally breaks through when Bezrodny smashes in Berketov’s long-range pass to deflate somewhat the celebratory atmosphere on the bench. However, our paranoia counts for naught as the referee blows three blasts on his whistle to bring a halt to the game.

Raúl, substituted late in the match, is given the opportunity to take the congratulations of the UEFA President before, much more importantly, lifts the Euro 2008 above his head, to the general adulation of just under 50,000 spectators at Glasgow’s famous Hampden Park, where so many cup finals have been played before! The rest of the Spanish squad joins their captain on the especially designed dais to join in the celebrations, while I stand back and lead the applause for the 22 men who finally threw off Spain’s largely deserved reputation as chokers in a competition where we won six games in succession, and scored 19 goals on the way. Vicente ends up the competition’s top scorer, with six goals, while Raúl, Garrido, Mista and Llorente have two apiece. Surprisingly, César (the full-back) has the most assists with four to his name, while Garrido has two.

Spain (4-3-1-2): Casillas; Borja, César, Marchena, César; Garrido (Etxeberría 57), Gavião, Zubizarreta; Vicente, Raúl © (Redondo 84), Llorente.

Russia (4-1-2-1-2): Nigmatullin; Yevseev (Yevsikov 63), Bulatov, Kuzmin, Bukievsky; Smertin ©; Bezrodny, Kechinov (Berketov 63); But; Bestchastnykh (Kardanov 69), Bulykin.

Final score: Spain 2:1 Russia

MoM - Francisco Javier Zubizarreta

Somewhere, amidst all the singing and celebration that marks this glorious occasion, my mobile phone rings. Its Luis Sosa, telling me that Carl Laurie has agreed terms with Barnsley and that my club is enriched to the tune of £1.1 million. At this point in time, I couldn’t care less, as I get back to the champagne drinking and the boisterous singing! icon_cool.gifCarl Laurie (25 y/o, ENG, D/DM RLC): 22(24) apps, 2 assists, av. rating: 6.50

When things quieten down a little (eg. most of the players go to the nearest pubs), I’m contacted by the President of the Spanish FA. He congratulates me on behalf of the Spanish people for the job I’ve done, and tells me that they are very pleased that I’ve captured for Spain the European Championship. He tells me, of course, that should I want to continue in my national career, that Spain should qualify for World Cup 2010. The long road, incidentally, to the World Cup starts with a qualifier against Poland in about two months’ time. I shall be there. Let’s see how many of the squad that has won Euro 2008 will be there too. I can think of a few names that might be culled out of the squad… icon_wink.gif

For losing the final, my Russian counterpart, Sergey Andreev, is sacked by the Russian FA. That’s harsh.

2nd of July 2008

I announce to a disinterested press corps that Cartagonova will sign Juventus goalkeeper Davide Bagnacani for a cut-price £2 million. He will replace the dearly departed Christoffer Källkvist.

4th of July 2008

Ancona bowls up an offer to Christian Vieri to join the Italian Serie A club as the assistant manager. In the meantime, Cultural Leonesa offers me £1.8 million for Daniel Jensen. The only catch is that it is to be paid over 18 months, which is terribly long. However, I want to free up that slot in the squad, and the money is quite good. So I accept the offer. By the evening, Daniel has agreed terms with his new club and will move out of Cartagena in the morning: Daniel Jensen (29 y/o, DEN 33 caps, 6 goals, AM/F C): 6(6) apps, 4 goals, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.75

5th of July 2008

Espanyol tests the water with a bid of £3 million for César. I reject the offer, of course.

Ramón Salas bites the bullet and agrees on a new contract that ties him to the club until 2012.

In the meantime, I’m informed that Cartagonova will play Celta Vigo in the Spanish Super Cup, with the first leg to be played in Vigo on 17th of August 2008.

7th of July 2008

Real Betis offers me £3.6 million for César, payable over 18 months. Not in a million years.

AC Milan announces that it has signed Real Madrid and Argentine attacking midfielder Pablo Aimar for £32.5 million. That certainly weakens Real Madrid’s chances of winning the league this season! icon_smile.gif

9th of July 2008

Christian Vieri informs me that he has agreed to join Ancona as their assistant manager. I wish him well in his new career path: Christian Vieri (34 y/o, ITA 68 caps, 34 goals, S C): 4(6) apps, 6 goals, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.80

10th of July 2008

Sheffield United offers me £2 million for Trent McClenahan. I want something more like £3 million at least before I’ll truly consider an offer for the Australian defender.

12th of July 2008

Sheffield United returns with a bid of £3 million for McClenahan. I decide to accept the offer.

It doesn’t take Trent long to make up his mind, but his transfer is delayed while his future club applies for a work permit for him. Given that he hasn’t played an international for Australia in the last season, it may be difficult to obtain one for him.

14th of July 2008

Real Sociedad wastes its time bidding £5.25 million for Alex Notman. Not even a third of what he is truly worth, should I decide to sell him.

16th of July 2008

Celta Vigo puts a bid of £3.5 million on the table for César Cabrera. I reject the bid outright.

17th of July 2008

Celta Vigo, not easily dissuaded, returns with a bid of £4.2 million for Cabrera. They are joined by DC United, who makes an offer of £3.5 million for the full-back. Both offers are rejected without much thought about it.

In the evening, at a gala, black-tie event, we fete Fernando Morán as he officially retires from professional football today. It’s a sad event for the club, as Fernando has been with us since 2001/02, but he has enjoyed plenty of success and leaves us with plenty of memories of his brilliant performances for the club: Fernando Morán (31 y/o, ESP, AM RLC): 205(21) apps, 76 goals, 51 assists, 12 MoMs, av. rating: 7.34

Dixie Flatline

Something from the Cartagonova odyssey!

I realised, reading back over the story, that I forgot to post the end-of-season statistics for the club's players. This was written before Euro 2008, so some of the international caps belonging to each player are a little outdated:

Goalkeepers

Iván Vidal (29 y/o, ESP 3 caps, GK - 292(1) apps, 347 conceded, 25 MoMs, av. rating: 7.34): 60 apps, 75 conceded, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.32: It was another successful season for Iván Vidal in many ways, including lifting the Primera Liga trophy for the second consecutive season and adding to his own personal collection of Spanish international caps. I think he merits a position on the plane to Wales and Scotland for Euro 2008, but I’m not sure whether to trust the No. 1 jersey to him at the moment. Still, he is destined to become Cartagonova’s first ever member of the 300 appearance club and he is definitely worth every penny of the miserly £70,000 we paid for him many seasons ago now! He is an excellent captain and a staunch supporter of every player. He knows how to keep morale up around the club and he is maturing as a media performer, knowing exactly what to say to the media to keep them and the fans happy. He is certainly a marketable commodity, and I’m sure that he will continue to play well for the club for the next few seasons, and at the rate he accumulates appearances in our colours, he might be destined for the prestigious 500 club! But that is getting ahead of ourselves. What I really want is for him to maintain his form next season as we continue to chase club honours.

Jean-François Gillet (30 y/o, BEL 22 caps, GK - 5 apps, 6 conceded, av. rating: 7.60): 5 apps, 6 conceded, av. rating: 7.60: Certainly did not have much of a chance to make an impact here at Cartagonova during the season, but he certainly did do the job I asked him to fulfil. He is definitely a most capable understudy for Iván Vidal, and his international experience has come in handy during the odd crisis or so. I don’t think he will ever oust Vidal as the main goalkeeper for the club, but if we can hold onto the Belgian for a few seasons, he will certainly prove to be an asset.

Christoffer Källkvist (25 y/o, SWE, GK - 10(1) apps, 12 conceded, av. rating: 7.55): 0 apps: I’m sorry to see Christoffer leave the club in a few weeks. He is certainly a good talent as a goalkeeper and has much maturing as a player and a person to go. I thought that we could have really molded something good about this player, but apparently a clash of personalities has seen Christoffer make up his mind that his future lies elsewhere. It is probably his loss more than ours, but I still don’t like the fact that I have to find yet another goalkeeper to support Iván Vidal during the off-season.

Defenders

Shimon Gershon (30 y/o, ISR 45 caps, 4 goals, SW/D/S C - 141(4) apps, 7 goals, 5 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.22): 43 apps, 2 goals, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.05: Shimon certainly did not have the type of season he had enjoyed previously. Disrupted by injury and prone to inconsistency, I suspect his up-and-down form can be partially attributed to the fact that beside him, the Israeli international defender has not had one partner in defence. Jukka Hakala and Trent McClenahan shared the burden early in the season, then Jukka was sold and I lost faith in Trent, so I turned to Martin Smith. But then the Danish international lost his way and finally I went to José Manuel Lasa. This must have had an unsettling effect upon Shimon, but he was still good enough to average 3.2 tackles per game, including 3.5 tackles per game in the league. I look forward to an improved performance from Shimon next season when I settle upon a back four.

Trent McClenahan (23 y/o, AUS 3 caps, SW/D C - 24(1) apps, 1 goal, 3 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.48): 24(1) apps, 1 goal, 3 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.48: Unfortunately for Trent and the club, things have gone horribly wrong since he joined from Parma. He came with big wraps, and I thought, looking at him during training in pre-season, that he would be a certainty to start practically every game we played this season. Unfortunately, he seems to have an aversion to tackle during the heat of the game! For a defender, that is simply not good enough and after one poor performance too many cost us one game too many, I had had enough. I brought him back to see if his attitude had improved at the end of the season when we had nothing to play for, but he managed to get himself sent off. Understandably, the club’s directors want to see the back of him, and despite his enormous undoubted talent, if his head is not in the right place, then there is no point keeping him. He is likely to be sold in the pre-season.

Ballesteros (32 y/o, ESP 14 caps, D/DM RC - 213(13) apps, 7 goals, 14 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 6.96): 23(9) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.78: Now that Ballesteros is into his thirties, he is becoming less important to my plans for the club, although he still figures quite prominently for Spain and to ensure continuity between the qualifiers and the tournament, he will go to Euro 2008. He began the season as the first-choice right-back, but the signature of César from Osasuna has seen the latter usurp Ballesteros for the right-back role in the club. Both will vie, in fact, for a place in Spain’s first team for Euro 2008. Now that Ballesteros is on the wrong side of 30, and is beginning to show some signs of wear and tear from his long, illustrious career, his on-field contributions will begin to decline. Nevertheless, Ballesteros has been an excellent player for the club and he will be remembered in the future.

César Cabrera (23 y/o, ESP, D RL - 32(3) apps, 1 goal, 9 assists, av. rating: 6.86): 32(3) apps, 1 goal, 9 assists, av. rating: 6.86: His first full season back in Spain after spending some time in England with Blackburn Rovers, I feel quite satisfied with how César contributed during the season. Perhaps a little too injury-prone and can be found out for pace (nothing that I didn’t expect, however), César has been a good weapon at setting up goals, with nine assists to his name for the season. At just 23 years of age, there is certainly physical and mental maturity process for César to negotiate, and when that process carries through further, I feel confident that he will feature in future Spanish squads. Well worth the money we expended on him, although it would even have been better if we could have captured him before he went to Blackburn! I’ll look to him to take over from José María Lacruz on a full-time basis when the latter full-back looks to give the game away. Even so, César has already accumulated an impressive number of games.

César (28 y/o, ESP 8 caps, D RL - 34 apps, 6 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.00): 34 apps, 6 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.00: Only joining the club from Osasuna during the winter of 2007, he has made an impressive start to his Cartagonova career, accumulating 34 appearances and just about dislodging Ballesteros from the right back role for the club. However, despite being quite experienced at club level (including beginning his career at Real Madrid), he is still prone to bouts of inconsistency, and when the midfielders of the opponent can figure out how to exploit such inconsistency, we suffer. If we can eradicate that next season (and given my previous experience in coaching defenders, I probably won’t be able to!), then César will be a better defender than what he already is. Like I said before, he will be jousting with Ballesteros for a place in Spain’s starting eleven at Euro 2008, but he is there and will participate at some stage. At the cost of only £2.5 million, I think he has offered good value already to our cause, and in return he has picked up a league winner’s medal.

Djibril Diawara (33 y/o, SEN 19 caps, 2 goals, D/DM RC - 9(4) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.08): 2 apps, av. rating: 6.50: Now of not much use to me, I’m seriously considering listing the Senegalese international during the summer and helping him to move on next season. He really was only bought the season before as a stop-gap measure, which he filled to perfection, and now I don’t have need for him, given the wealth of other defenders I have at the club. I hope he has some treasured memories to take with him.

José María Lacruz (30 y/o, ESP, D RL - 190(6) apps, 2 goals, 10 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.63): 31(1) apps, 2 assists, av. rating: 6.59: Another quiet season for Lacruz, and he has come within the danger zone of being replaced by a younger model! Nevertheless, he is a solid, dependable defender and there is no chance of Lacruz moving on before his professional career is brought to an end (unless unforeseeable circumstances intervene, of course). He will not complain about being dislodged by Cabrera, but will get his head down and try to fight his way back into my favour. I like that very much about Lacruz, and while he is never international standard, he is good enough to make sure that I notice him. He should be able to bring up that magical milestone of 200 appearances for Cartagonova next season.

Carl Laurie (25 y/o, ENG, D/DM RLC - 22(24) apps, 2 assists, av. rating: 6.50): 3(1) apps, av. rating: 6.50: No doubt over the summer I will have to bow to board pressure and put Carl up for sale. He has disappointed me this season and does not look capable of forcing his way into the first team next season. I thought I was purchasing a good player when I paid £1.2 million to Ipswich to bring him to Spain, but whatever promise he had has a young player has now fizzled out and I don’t think he will ever belong in top flight Spanish football. I don’t want to be harsh about it, but I believe I’ve come around to the view the board of directors has held for quite a long time now.

Salomon Olembé (27 y/o, CAM 47 caps, 7 goals, D/DM LC - 3(1) apps, av. rating: 6.00): 3(1) apps, av. rating: 6.00: Another spare player, I’m also considering his future at this club. When I’ve given him the opportunity to show me what he is capable of doing in the heat of the battle, he’s just about wilted. That is not something I want to see in my players, and I will act to remove such players from the scene. As I’ve tried to use him as a proper defender, and he is not quite suited to such a role, I should shoulder some of the blame, but I’m not about to alter my successful tactics to accommodate him, and I believe that the best solution would be for him to move on to a new club.

Martin Smith (29 y/o, DEN 35 caps, 1 goal, D/DM LC - 25(3) apps, 3 assists, av. rating: 6.93): 25(3) apps, 3 assists, av. rating: 6.93: No doubt that Mallorca fans were quite surprised that the champion of Spain would take a player some feel was responsible for the island club going to the Segunda Liga at the end of the previous season. But a relegated club is relegated by everybody involved in the club, so it was unfair to apportion all blame to the Dane. His career, however, began slowly at Cartagonova as I persisted, to my eternal frustration, with Trent McClenahan to partner Shimon Gershon after the sale of Jukka Hakala. When, however, I tired of Trent’s pathetic performances, I went to Martin, and for a while, he delivered the goods. But for some reason, he lost confidence in himself, and therefore his form, so I looked for another option. Should Martin retain his confidence next season, then I think he will turn into a dependable defender and a good partner for Shimon next season. He will have the summer to ponder what he wants to do with his life at Cartagonova. I’m perfectly happy to play him, so long as he has his head screwed on straight. If we can have that, then I’ll have a good defender in my squad.

Moustapha Keità (28 y/o, FRA, D/DM C - 5(1) apps, av. rating: 6.33): 5(1) apps, av. rating: 6.33: Nothing more than a bit-part player, I don’t really envisage Moustapha having a great future at this club. He seems happy, though, to continue to plod along as a squad player. There is nothing really bad about him - it’s just that there isn’t that much good about him to make me want to play him regularly.

José Manuel Lasa (23 y/o, ESP, D C - 18 apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.11): 18 apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.11: Here is a player upon whom I pin some hopes of turning into an excellent long-term investment for the club. He is an excellent tackler already, averaging 4.0 tackles per league game, over a period of 11 league games, so he certainly knows how to stick the boot in when required. He may occasionally be caught out for pace and for strength, but I think that if we can work particularly on his passing game, he will complement the other defenders and midfielders we have at the club. He is 23 years old, so he isn’t quite as young as I would have liked before grabbing him, but there is no doubting the fact that he has plenty to offer to the club in the next few seasons, and I see him forging a great defensive partnership in the future. Whether he is of international standard is only something that time will tell, but we have, as I said, hopes for him.

Óscar Ãlvarez (30 y/o, ESP, D C - 131(7) apps, 5 goals, 4 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 6.91): 1 app, av. rating: 6.00: After a long association with Cartagonova C.F., Óscar has finally realised that his future lies elsewhere. Unfortunately for him, the arrival of Jukka Hakala from Italy after the World Cup 2006 spelt the effective end of his first team membership of the team, and for two seasons he has lingered on the fringes of the first team, watching and waiting for an opportunity to play again that really never arrived. He did contribute enormously to the stabilisation of the club as a Primera Liga force and I’m sure that there will be a few disciplinary committee members of the Spanish FA looking forward to seeing him again next season as he moves to Tenerife during the summer - in his time at Cartagonova he notched up 36 yellow cards but surprisingly, only two red cards both coming in his first season. I’ll miss him for his personality, if not his playing style. He walks away with an European Champions' League winners’ medal (he was an unused substitute against Porto in the final) and a Copa del Rey winners and runners-up medals.

Midfielders

Gavião (28 y/o, ESP 7 caps, 1 goal, DM C - 147(5) apps, 25 goals, 31 assists, 13 MoMs, av. rating: 7.42): 38(3) apps, 4 goals, 11 assists, 7 MoMs, av. rating: 7.46: During the season, Gavião’s estimation of me as a manager has sunk as he felt that I poorly handled Jukka Hakala’s rebel instincts and then continually blocked his ambitions to move to a ‘bigger’ club (if you can call Real Betis a bigger club, for example!). At the same time, my estimation of the player has also gone down after he managed to get himself suspended for nine league games for a totally unnecessary act of stupidity at an important time of the season. Nevertheless, I still think that he is the best central midfielder going around in Spain at the time, and I thank those faceless bureaucrats who, in their infinite wisdom, decided to grant the former Brazilian Spanish nationality, thereby allowing him to play for his new country. Despite press speculation to the contrary, I couldn’t see a Spanish squad going to Euro 2008 without him, and I’m sure that with the two month enforced lay-off from any type of professional game, he will be fit and raring to go when we take on Yugoslavia in the first game of Spain’s quest to win Euro 2008. I hope that we can work out things to a mutually beneficial solution next season and that Gavião continues to wear the colours of Cartagonova for a long time to come. I don’t think that anybody else could come close to what he does for the club, although I have to admit that Kristian Tanem does a good job, too.

Kristian Tanem (25 y/o, NOR 23 caps, 16 goals, DM/F C - 24(11) apps, 4 goals, 9 assists, av. rating: 7.20): 24(11) apps, 4 goals, 9 assists, av. rating: 7.20: He was the player that kept Villarreal together. Here at Cartagonova, his importance was always going to be less, but I think that Kristian can be fairly satisfied with the first season at his new club. It was always going to be a period of transition for the Norwegian international, and hopefully the extended run in the first team (perhaps not in the position he feels most comfortable in, but the position I want him to play in) will help him settle more quickly next season. Like a couple of the other new faces at the club, on the whole he would play well, but there would be the odd occasion where his performance would let himself down, and therefore the team. Unfortunately, these tended to occur in difficult away assignments, so the penalty was felt harder than otherwise would have been. If we can work out what Kristian thinks at these times and put that right, then we’ll have a very formidable player indeed. He looks a great asset for the club in the near future, and I want to hang on to him as long as possible.

Per Vener Rønning (25 y/o, NOR 6 caps, 1 goal, D/DM/F LC - 10(16) apps, 1 goal, 3 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.04): 10(16) apps, 1 goal, 3 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.04: I’ve been very happy with the contributions made by Rønning this season. He has definitely shown that the fact he was the heart and soul of Salamanca was no fluke. He has plenty of talent, and it is merely a question of playing him in the most appropriate position to harness that talent. I think that perhaps out wide on the left would be his best position, so that puts him at the front of the queue to succeed Michel when the latter’s distinguished career ends. He has already accumulated six international caps for Norway, and I feel that he could have quite a collection at the end of his career. I’m very happy to have paid £5 million for him, because he has already paid back a substantial amount of the transfer fee, and I think he has the potential in him to more than double his value to the club in the next few seasons. It took me a long time to land the man that I wanted, but now that I have him, I’m determined to use him as effectively as possible.

George Clegg (27 y/o, ENG 1 cap, AM/F RC - 135(22) apps, 41 goals, 33 assists, 11 MoMs, av. rating: 7.29): 39(4) apps, 9 goals, 9 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.33: Perhaps it would have been too much to ask George to repeat the stellar season he had for us the previous season when we won the league and the European Cup. But for a long time during the season just completed, George really failed to put himself into high gear. Then something inside his head flicked the switch, and it was welcome back to the George we knew. He was in everything, creating and scoring goals and generally making a big nuisance of himself to the opposition. Finally, England’s manager, Mr Kevin Keegan, couldn’t resist the call any longer and gave George a debut as a substitute as England went down 3-1 to my Spain in March. But again, George is not in the England squad and I’m sure he is fretting as to whether he’ll have to travel to Wales and Scotland for Euro 2008 soon. I hope he does, because he does deserve a place in England’s squad. For while his season wasn’t as good as that brilliant season two ago, it was still a very good season and I’m glad that I had him on my side instead of against me. He is a genuine attacking threat and a great distributor of the ball from that hole just behind the two strikers, which troubles the opposition so many times. He is certainly an asset to Cartagonova.

Jaime Garrido (24 y/o, ESP 8 caps, 5 goals, AM/F RLC - 68(14) apps, 15 goals, 18 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.40): 49(2) apps, 9 goals, 14 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.45: After a season adjusting to life with a new club, Jaime Garrido emerged into the limelight as a true midfield champion. Operating on the right of midfield, Jaime was instrumental in our charge towards the top in that gripping period when we thrashed Barcelona 6-2 and Feyenoord 5-2 in the same week. Not only that, he also emerged as one of the brightest talents to take on the Spanish colours and I’m sure he will play a prominent role in Spain’s quest to win Euro 2008. A tremendous passer and dribbler of the ball, his close control skills are second to none and already, I see Jaime Garrido collecting more than 50 caps for Spain and over 300 appearances for Cartagonova. He is definitely one of those players you wouldn’t sell for any amount of money.

Dixie Flatline

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bjorn:

you are really the best writer on this storyboard

you are inspirating me so much.

keep it up icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you, bjorn! icon_smile.gif I'm glad somebody agrees with me in the first comment! icon_biggrin.gif It's great to read that. icon_cool.gif

Dixie

Let's finish off the summary of the last season, shall we?

Elias Krantz (26 y/o, SWE, AM RC - 11(5) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.56): 11(5) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.56: You couldn’t say the same about Elias Krantz. I took somewhat of a punt on the Swede, paying Portuguese club Farense £250,000 for him. I originally envisaged him as a replacement for Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua, but then I found that Jaime Garrido was everything that I needed, and more. Krantz, on the other hand, played the second fiddle, and didn’t do that too well either. He does have some talent about him, but from what I’ve seen so far, it takes a lot of coaxing to emerge, particularly on game days, so I can’t see him playing much more of a role at the club than he already has. However, given that his value has increased ten-fold and more, I would make a substantial profit on a sale!

Fernando Morán (31 y/o, ESP, AM RLC - 205(21) apps, 76 goals, 51 assists, 12 MoMs, av. rating: 7.34): 11 apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, av. rating: 7.27: What can I say that will do justice to the enormous contribution of Fernando to the success of Cartagonova? Ever since he joined on a Bosman transfer from Racing Santander at the end of the 2000/01 season, in time for our first season in the Segunda Liga, he has been an integral part of the club’s push towards success in Spain and Europe. He missed out on winning a league medal in 2006/07, but made up for it by scoring two critical goals in our win over Porto in the European Cup final, a very memorable performance amongst many for Fernando. Unlucky never to win a Spanish cap, I’ve no doubt that he would have done well for his nation. However, he was never in the right place at the right time to be noticed by the Spanish manager, and that will be one thing that won’t be put right before he retires. Nevertheless, he will go down as one of the club’s first legends. His list of achievements is many and impressive, with Copa del Rey and Spanish Cup winners, plus, of course, that European Champions’ League winners’ medal. He never seemed to have the same set of skills as other players in the same club or the same league, but his wonderful sense of flair when he had possession of the ball allowed him to do things that no other player could. So, it’s no surprise that as a midfielder, he scored 76 goals in his career, at an average of one goal every 2.97 games. That is an excellent average by anyone’s standard, and when you add the 51 assists he made, that means he was involved directly or indirectly in one goal every 1.78 games. He still has the club record for the most amount of goals in the one game, when he scored four goals against Villarreal on 25 January 2006. So much has he done for this club, I’m seriously considering retiring the fabled No. ‘10’ jumper in his honour. There is no higher compliment that I could pay him for his long and faithful service to this club. We pay him tribute, wish him well and thank him for the many wonderful memories.

Ramón Salas (23 y/o, ESP, AM RL - 10(3) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.54): 5 apps, 1 goal, av. rating: 6.40: After appearing only 13 times for Cartagonova in three seasons, it’s little wonder that Ramón is still seriously considering his future. I would like him to remain at the club, because he certainly has enough talent to maintain his name in my thoughts most of the time. But, of course, the player wants to play, and so far his history at this club has not indicated much of an improvement in the future. But at least, if he does leave, he will take with him the memory of a goal, which is good.

Bojan Djordjic (26 y/o, SWE 13 caps, 1 goal, AM LC - 11(5) apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, av. rating: 6.94): 11(5) apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, av. rating: 6.94: While not being spectacular, Bojan mostly did the job when I called upon him. Used only in bursts in the team, he never really had much time to settle and produce the consistent performances that would guarantee him first place in the queue when Michel eventually hangs up the boots. Nevertheless, he will command a place in the squad for next season and I’m sure that I will obtain further use of his services in the coming season.

Michel (32 y/o, ESP, AM L - 272(12) apps, 41 goals, 64 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.14): 46(2) apps, 10 goals, 7 assists, av. rating: 7.10: Another impressive season from my left winger, I know that one day he won’t be around to produce the goods on the left. However, I enjoyed his work this season - he decided to take my advice and to try to score a few goals. In the end, he ended up with ten goals to his name from 46(2) appearances in all competitions. If only he were a few years younger, because then he would be a definite in my squad to go to Euro 2008. Alas, however, he is now well on the wrong side of 30, and while there was no sign of him slowing down, it is only a matter of time that the inevitable failure of the body to deliver what the mind demands catches up with Michel and I’m forced to look elsewhere for my winger. However, there is no doubt that Michel has made an enormous contribution towards the club’s success and I cannot find fault with the dedication Michel has applied to his job. He passed the 200 league appearance mark this season, and may perhaps reach 300 appearances in all competitions next season if he can keep up the form he has shown this season. He was subject of interest from Real Betis at the end of the season, but I can’t see him going anywhere. While he began his career somewhere else, he is Cartagonova through and through, and I’m sure the fans would find their voice if he were to move at this stage of his career.

Let's finish off the summary of the last season, shall we?

Elias Krantz (26 y/o, SWE, AM RC - 11(5) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.56): 11(5) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.56: You couldn’t say the same about Elias Krantz. I took somewhat of a punt on the Swede, paying Portuguese club Farense £250,000 for him. I originally envisaged him as a replacement for Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua, but then I found that Jaime Garrido was everything that I needed, and more. Krantz, on the other hand, played the second fiddle, and didn’t do that too well either. He does have some talent about him, but from what I’ve seen so far, it takes a lot of coaxing to emerge, particularly on game days, so I can’t see him playing much more of a role at the club than he already has. However, given that his value has increased ten-fold and more, I would make a substantial profit on a sale!

Fernando Morán (31 y/o, ESP, AM RLC - 205(21) apps, 76 goals, 51 assists, 12 MoMs, av. rating: 7.34): 11 apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, av. rating: 7.27: What can I say that will do justice to the enormous contribution of Fernando to the success of Cartagonova? Ever since he joined on a Bosman transfer from Racing Santander at the end of the 2000/01 season, in time for our first season in the Segunda Liga, he has been an integral part of the club’s push towards success in Spain and Europe. He missed out on winning a league medal in 2006/07, but made up for it by scoring two critical goals in our win over Porto in the European Cup final, a very memorable performance amongst many for Fernando. Unlucky never to win a Spanish cap, I’ve no doubt that he would have done well for his nation. However, he was never in the right place at the right time to be noticed by the Spanish manager, and that will be one thing that won’t be put right before he retires. Nevertheless, he will go down as one of the club’s first legends. His list of achievements is many and impressive, with Copa del Rey and Spanish Cup winners, plus, of course, that European Champions’ League winners’ medal. He never seemed to have the same set of skills as other players in the same club or the same league, but his wonderful sense of flair when he had possession of the ball allowed him to do things that no other player could. So, it’s no surprise that as a midfielder, he scored 76 goals in his career, at an average of one goal every 2.97 games. That is an excellent average by anyone’s standard, and when you add the 51 assists he made, that means he was involved directly or indirectly in one goal every 1.78 games. He still has the club record for the most amount of goals in the one game, when he scored four goals against Villarreal on 25 January 2006. So much has he done for this club, I’m seriously considering retiring the fabled No. ‘10’ jumper in his honour. There is no higher compliment that I could pay him for his long and faithful service to this club. We pay him tribute, wish him well and thank him for the many wonderful memories.

Ramón Salas (23 y/o, ESP, AM RL - 10(3) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.54): 5 apps, 1 goal, av. rating: 6.40: After appearing only 13 times for Cartagonova in three seasons, it’s little wonder that Ramón is still seriously considering his future. I would like him to remain at the club, because he certainly has enough talent to maintain his name in my thoughts most of the time. But, of course, the player wants to play, and so far his history at this club has not indicated much of an improvement in the future. But at least, if he does leave, he will take with him the memory of a goal, which is good.

Bojan Djordjic (26 y/o, SWE 13 caps, 1 goal, AM LC - 11(5) apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, av. rating: 6.94): 11(5) apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, av. rating: 6.94: While not being spectacular, Bojan mostly did the job when I called upon him. Used only in bursts in the team, he never really had much time to settle and produce the consistent performances that would guarantee him first place in the queue when Michel eventually hangs up the boots. Nevertheless, he will command a place in the squad for next season and I’m sure that I will obtain further use of his services in the coming season.

Michel (32 y/o, ESP, AM L - 272(12) apps, 41 goals, 64 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.14): 46(2) apps, 10 goals, 7 assists, av. rating: 7.10: Another impressive season from my left winger, I know that one day he won’t be around to produce the goods on the left. However, I enjoyed his work this season - he decided to take my advice and to try to score a few goals. In the end, he ended up with ten goals to his name from 46(2) appearances in all competitions. If only he were a few years younger, because then he would be a definite in my squad to go to Euro 2008. Alas, however, he is now well on the wrong side of 30, and while there was no sign of him slowing down, it is only a matter of time that the inevitable failure of the body to deliver what the mind demands catches up with Michel and I’m forced to look elsewhere for my winger. However, there is no doubt that Michel has made an enormous contribution towards the club’s success and I cannot find fault with the dedication Michel has applied to his job. He passed the 200 league appearance mark this season, and may perhaps reach 300 appearances in all competitions next season if he can keep up the form he has shown this season. He was subject of interest from Real Betis at the end of the season, but I can’t see him going anywhere. While he began his career somewhere else, he is Cartagonova through and through, and I’m sure the fans would find their voice if he were to move at this stage of his career.

Juan Hernández (22 y/o, ESP 1 cap, AM/F C - 36(20) apps, 20 goals, 12 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.41): 16(16) apps, 8 goals, 7 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.13: Of course I couldn’t have expected Juan to have maintained the extremely high standard he set for himself when he first burst onto the scene in 2006/07 after moving from Hércules. I thought, however, that the last season was still quite good for Juan and he was rewarded by an appearance for Spain in our ill-fated game against England at Wembley Stadium. Still only 22 years old, I think there is plenty to look forward to from Juan Hernández, and I can’t wait to see him play both for Cartagonova and to Spain. I don’t think he’ll go to Euro 2008, but if Spain manage to qualify for World Cup 2010, then I think he would be on the plane to that competition.

Forwards

Daniel Jensen (28 y/o, DAN 33 caps, 6 goals, AM/F C - 6(6) apps, 4 goals, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.75): 2 apps, av. rating: 6.00: Unfortunately for Daniel, I’ve moved with the times and he has been left behind. I don’t think I could honestly say that there is a place at Cartagonova for Daniel, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him move on after Euro 2008 is finished.

Alex Notman (28 y/o, SCO 20 caps, 12 goals, AM/F C - 126(6) apps, 84 goals, 37 assists, 31 MoMs, av. rating: 8.05): 50 apps, 34 goals, 6 assists, 8 MoMs, av. rating: 8.02: Unlike Daniel, there will always be a place in my squad for Alex Notman. If only he were Spanish instead of Scottish. There is no doubt that Alex loves playing for Cartagonova and I quite happily reject any bid from any club for him, safe in the knowledge that Alex has made his home here. While last season was slightly down on the season before last, he still managed to break that magical 30 goal per season mark, and backed that up with six assists. Theoretically, he is probably past his peak as he approaches 30 years old, but I still think that he is capable of reaching 100 goals for the club in record time, and if I were José Manuel Redondo, I would be worried that my goal scoring record for the club will stand only a little time. Alex will have a wonderful time playing in front of his own crowds in Euro 2008, and he will return to Cartagonova refreshed and ready to bang in more goals as we hunt for a third successive league championship. Like Iván Vidal and Jaime Garrido, Alex is one of those invaluable players I would never consider selling. He has perfected a brilliant relationship on the field with his elder colleague, José Manuel Redondo, and I would love for that to continue for at least another season. They have struck up a brilliant working relationship, and I will hate the day when I’m forced to break it up. Alex has everything, pace, power, strength, dribbling and finishing ability. When you put all those qualities in the one package, you have probably the best Scottish striker since Kenny Dalglish, but until he puts it all together on the world stage, such as Euro 2008, you can’t really put him in the same bracket - but mark my words, Alex will be a Scottish legend, up there with Kenny and Ally McCoist, amongst others.

Ariel Carreño (29 y/o, ARG 1 cap, F RLC - 20(16) apps, 14 goals, 6 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.42): 14(9) apps, 10 goals, 4 assists, av. rating: 7.52: If Ariel’s season had finished one game earlier than it actually did, I would have said that he had a magnificent season in which he had consolidated his position in the squad. However, one incident of loss of temper and self-control means that my estimation of his character has plummeted somewhat and he will have to work very hard to earn back my trust to play him in crunch games. His goals during the season helped us out of many a tight spot, but if he ever does something as stupid as he did in his last game in the season, I won’t hesitate to cut him loose. As it is, he will have to serve a long penance - not only to the Spanish FA, but also to this club and his teammates - before I let him play again. He still remains part of my long-term plans, but only just.

Foluwasha (Shola) Ameobi (26 y/o, NIG 13 caps, 3 goals, S C - 6(12) apps, 3 goals, 2 assists, av. rating: 6.89): 6(12) apps, 3 goals, 2 assists, av. rating: 6.89: It’s been difficult for Shola to settle in Spain, and no doubt playing two-thirds of his games for the club off the substitutes’ bench hasn’t helped. But that does not excuse the fact that he only managed to score three goals - including one from the penalty spot - in that time. While he did seem to have some bad luck in relation to excellent saves being made from his shots, no striker is usually that cursed. He has time to settle in, and hopefully when he does begin to feel more at home at the club the goals will begin to flow. He still has a second chance to impress me.

José Manuel Redondo (32 y/o, ESP 3 caps, 2 goals, S C - 268(11) apps, 150 goals, 69 assists, 40 MoMs, av. rating: 7.87): 54 apps, 27 goals, 13 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.72: Unlike the previous two strikers, I have no worries about José. Like Fernando and Michel, he has been an excellent servant of this club, and even though he is now 32 years old, he still has what it takes to be successful at the highest level. I believe there is a place on the plane to Euro 2008 in what will be his first major international tournament at the ripe old age of 32. As I mentioned before, he has struck up a brilliant working relationship with Alex Notman that surpasses the relationship he had with Stan Collymore in the early days of our success. I foresee him playing on for at least another season, and after he brought up 150 career goals for Cartagonova, he might just be capable of reaching 175 goals before the season is out. Then, no doubt, he will consider his options and determine what he wants to do with his life. Like Fernando, he will be remembered for his enormous contribution to the club’s success and given that he has scored across his Cartagonova a goal every 1.86 games, he has a record that will take some beating (even though Alex seems like to give it a very good shake). I will have great difficulty in replacing José, not only as a player, but as a man who has given so much of himself to the club. He is a brilliant player and I can’t believe, still, that I managed to snare him on a Bosman free transfer from Real Zaragoza. They had no idea of the gem they had lying around, waiting to be unveiled. I’m just thankful that I’ve been able to do that.

Christian Vieri (34 y/o, ITA 68 caps, 34 goals, S C - 4(6) apps, 6 goals, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.80): 4(6) apps, 6 goals, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.80: Used only sparingly, Christian still managed to contribute significantly towards the club’s success this season. Scoring six times from ten appearances, mainly in the league, is a great record for a man approaching the end of his distinguished career. I’ve no doubt that he wants to push on for another season, and given that he was drafted into the Italian squad for their final friendly before Euro 2008, he has reason to believe that he has what it takes to play at this level. I would love to have him around on the playing staff for another season, as it gives other players in the squad that extra boost of seeing a man who has done and seen it all in his career going through the same training drills that they are going through.

So there you have it, my detailed analysis of each player in the squad. To complete the picture, let’s take a look at their statistics and the complete game record of the 65 games we played in the Primera Liga, the Copa del Rey, the European Champions' League and the FIFA World Club Championship:

No Name Apps Gls Con Pens Asts Yel Red MoM Av R

27 Ameobi, Foluwasha 6 (12) 3 0 1 (1) 2 0 1 0 6.89

2 Ballesteros 23 (9) 0 0 0 1 3 0 0 6.78

12 Cabrera, César 32 (3) 1 0 0 9 2 1 0 6.86

28 Carreño, Ariel 14 (9) 10 0 0 4 1 1 0 7.52

13 César 34 0 0 0 6 5 1 2 7.00

8 Clegg, George 39 (4) 9 0 0 9 8 1 4 7.33

31 Diawara, Djibril 2 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 6.50

25 Djordjic, Bojan 11 (5) 2 0 0 2 1 0 0 6.94

7 Garrido, Jaime 49 (2) 9 0 0 14 3 0 3 7.45

6 Gavião 38 (3) 4 0 0 11 10 1 7 7.46

4 Gershon, Shimon 43 2 0 2 (2) 1 2 0 0 7.05

20 Gillet, Jean-François 5 0 6 0 0 0 0 1 7.60

17 Hernández, Juan 16 (16) 8 0 0 7 0 0 3 7.13

1 Iván Vidal 60 0 75 0 0 1 0 5 7.32

26 Jensen, Daniel 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.00

30 Källkvist, Christoffer 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

23 Keità, Moustapha 5 (1) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.33

16 Krantz, Elias 11 (5) 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 6.56

3 Lacruz, José María 31 (1) 0 0 0 2 4 0 0 6.59

33 Lasa, José Manuel 18 0 0 0 1 2 0 0 7.11

22 Laurie, Carl 3 (1) 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 6.50

5 McClenahan, Trent 24 (1) 1 0 0 3 4 1 1 6.48

11 Michel 46 (2) 10 0 0 7 2 0 0 7.10

10 Morán, Fernando 11 2 0 0 2 0 0 0 7.27

18 Notman, Alex 50 34 0 0 6 2 0 8 8.02

21 Olembé, Salomon 3 (1) 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 6.00

14 Óscar Ãlvarez 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 6.00

9 Redondo, José Manuel 54 27 0 4 (4) 13 2 0 5 7.72

24 Rønning, Per Vener 10 (16) 1 0 1 (1) 3 3 0 1 7.04

34 Salas, Ramón 5 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.40

32 Smith, Martin 25 (3) 0 0 0 3 5 0 0 6.93

15 Tanem, Kristian 24 (11) 4 0 0 9 7 2 0 7.20

19 Vieri, Christian 4 (6) 6 0 0 1 0 0 1 7.80

</pre>

Date Opposition Ven Competition Res Attend Scorers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4.8.07 Roma ITA H F1 Cup III Semi Final 4:2 8557 Krantz, Djordjic, Garrido, Ameobi

5.8.07 Sporting POR H F1 Cup III Final 4:3 5128 Gershon, Tanem, Carreño 2

8.8.07 Linense H Friendly 2:0 1846 Gavião, Tanem

12.8.07 Ajax HOL H Friendly 1:0 3255 Ballesteros

19.8.07 Real Sociedad H Super Cup Leg 1 3:2 18830 Notman, Redondo 2

24.8.07 Ajax HOL N Super Cup 2:2 18481 Notman 2

26.8.07 Real Sociedad A Super Cup Leg 2 4:2 28961 Ameobi 2, McClenahan, Hakala

9.9.07 Athletic Bilbao A First Division 1:1 35431 Garrido

12.9.07 IFK Göteborg SWE A Champions Cup Ph.1 Grp H 1:2 12140 Morán

15.9.07 Sevilla H First Division 3:1 21220 Notman 3

18.9.07 Neftchi AZE H Champions Cup Ph.1 Grp H 3:0 21283 Notman, Garrido 2

22.9.07 Betis A First Division 3:2 46048 Notman, Morán, Hakala

25.9.07 Milan ITA A Champions Cup Ph.1 Grp H 3:1 74194 Redondo 2, Notman

30.9.07 Barcelona H First Division 2:1 21208 Redondo pen, Notman

13.10.07 Espanyol A First Division 1:3 30960 Michel

17.10.07 Milan ITA H Champions Cup Ph.1 Grp H 3:1 18810 Notman, Gavião, Tanem

20.10.07 Osasuna A First Division 2:0 19969 Redondo 2

23.10.07 IFK Göteborg SWE H Champions Cup Ph.1 Grp H 0:0 21312

28.10.07 Celta H First Division 2:1 21234 Clegg 2

4.11.07 Alavés A First Division 1:1 16154 Notman

7.11.07 Neftchi AZE A Champions Cup Ph.1 Grp H 0:0 62239

18.11.07 Racing Santander H First Division 4:1 22058 Notman 3, Michel

21.11.07 PSV HOL H Champions Cup Ph.2 Grp C 0:0 18837

25.11.07 Real Madrid A First Division 1:2 65065 Notman

28.11.07 Real Sociedad H First Division 2:2 21192 Redondo, Djordjic

1.12.07 Elche H First Division 3:0 21224 Notman, Gavião, Clegg

4.12.07 Monaco FRA A Champions Cup Ph.2 Grp C 0:0 9849

9.12.07 Deportivo A First Division 3:0 32294 Garrido, Notman 2

12.12.07 Argentinos ARG N World Club Cup 3:1 49385 Hernández 2, Notman

16.12.07 Numancia H First Division 4:2 21131 Redondo, Vieri, Hernández, Michel

19.12.07 Valencia A First Division 2:3 51063 Michel 2

23.12.07 Sporting Gijón A First Division 3:3 23504 Michel, Notman, Carreño

2.1.08 Vasco BRA N World Championship Grp 1 3:1 59424 Garrido, Hernández, Michel

4.1.08 Mamelodi Sundowns RSA N World Championship Grp 1 1:0 96753 Notman

7.1.08 Antlers JPN N World Championship Grp 1 5:2 55152 Redondo 2, Krantz, Hernández 2

9.1.08 Deportivo H Spanish Cup 2nd Rnd 1:0 7903 Carreño

10.1.08 Corinthians BRA N World Championship Final 1:2 59395 Cabrera

13.1.08 Valencia H First Division 4:0 21214 Vieri 2, Notman, Djordjic

16.1.08 Celta H Spanish Cup 3rd Rnd Leg 1 0:2 8633

20.1.08 Real Sociedad A First Division 2:2 28612 Redondo, Vieri

23.1.08 Celta A Spanish Cup 3rd Rnd Leg 2 0:1 12565

27.1.08 Athletic Bilbao H First Division 3:2 21194 Gavião, Notman, Redondo

30.1.08 Extremadura H First Division 3:2 21250 Hernández, Garrido, Redondo

3.2.08 Sevilla A First Division 1:0 40072 Olveira og

6.2.08 Levante H First Division 3:0 22750 Garrido, Tanem, Redondo pen

9.2.08 Betis H First Division 3:1 21234 Redondo 2 (1 pen), Garrido

12.2.08 Feyenoord HOL H Champions Cup Ph.2 Grp C 2:0 18841 Clegg, Redondo

17.2.08 Barcelona A First Division 6:2 95418 Tanem, Clegg, Carreño, Redondo 3

20.2.08 Feyenoord HOL A Champions Cup Ph.2 Grp C 5:2 46555 Clegg 2, Vieri, Carreño, Gershon pen

24.2.08 Espanyol H First Division 1:0 21198 Notman

27.2.08 Villarreal H First Division 4:1 21271 Notman 2, Redondo, Carreño

1.3.08 Villarreal A First Division 2:1 19979 Michel, Garrido

4.3.08 PSV HOL A Champions Cup Ph.2 Grp C 0:1 31606

9.3.08 Osasuna H First Division 2:1 22091 Carreño 2

12.3.08 Monaco FRA H Champions Cup Ph.2 Grp C 0:0 18536

16.3.08 Celta A First Division 1:1 28445 Notman

26.3.08 Alavés H First Division 3:0 21389 Gavião, Clegg, Notman

30.3.08 Racing Santander A First Division 3:2 10079 Notman 2, Michel

2.4.08 Barcelona H Champions Cup Qtr Final Leg 1 1:1 18835 Michel

9.4.08 Real Madrid H First Division 3:2 21216 Notman 2, Hernández

13.4.08 Elche A First Division 2:1 26919 Redondo 2

16.4.08 Barcelona A Champions Cup Qtr Final Leg 2 2:2 93534 Clegg, Gershon pen

27.4.08 Numancia A First Division 3:3 11291 Rodri og, Carreño 2

30.4.08 Milan ITA A Champions Cup Semi Final Leg 1 1:3 74098 Rønning pen

4.5.08 Sporting Gijón H First Division 2:1 21190 Carreño, Notman

7.5.08 Milan ITA H Champions Cup Semi Final Leg 2 3:3 19229 Redondo 2 (1 pen), Tanem

10.5.08 Extremadura A First Division 1:2 12957 Ameobi pen

14.5.08 Deportivo H First Division 0:1 21218

18.5.08 Levante A First Division 3:2 23385 Salas, Redondo, Vieri

</pre>

So now I can return to the proper story!

19th of July 2008

“… After a five year association with Cartagonova, former Brazilian international legend, Romário, who scored 54 goals in 76 international appearances for his country, had his contract with the Spanish champion terminated today. Señor Dixie Flatline announced via his spokesperson Romário’s dismissal from the club with some measure of regret, saying that Romário’s contribution to the club in the five years he spent at Cartagonova was enormous, and that he wished he could keep the Brazilian at the club. It is rumoured that Lilian Thuram will take the Brazilian’s position at the club in a player/coach role…â€

21st of July 2008

“… Cartagonova this morning unveiled new player/coach Lilian Thuram to the media assembled at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena. The former World Cup winner, who has had stints with Monaco, Parma, Barcelona and Celta Vigo, is delighted to have joined the two-time championship winning club in a senior role, while Señor Flatline said that he did expect to play Lilian during the season. Despite being 36 years old, the veteran of 118 international games for France, Señor Flatline believed that he still has what it takes to contribute both on and off the pitch…â€

Celta Vigo makes an offer of £5 million for César Cabrera. It doesn’t tempt me into thinking about selling the important full-back.

25th of July 2008

I reject an offer from Celta Vigo for César Cabrera worth £6 million, spread over a ridiculous 18 month period. Sheffield United also put in a bid for the full-back, but to no avail.

Real Sociedad hopes I’ll fall for a bid of £4.4 million for Kristian Tanem. Doesn’t come close.

“… AC Milan has smashed the world-wide transfer fee record by signing Torino’s Italian international striker Emanuele Calaiò for £42 million today. This breaks the record set by Barcelona’s purchase of £39 million of Matteo Brighi from Juventus on the 15th of December 2006.â€

27th of July 2008

Real Betis believes an offer of £4.3 million for César will be successful. It isn’t, of course.

31st of July 2008

Real Betis makes another offer for César, again of £5 million. It is rejected outright.

Getafe, however, makes an interesting bid for transfer-listed Salomon Olembé of £2.3 million over 18 months. If they could stump up the money over a period of 6 months, I’ll gladly take the offer.

Unbelievably, Per Vener Rønning issues a statement through his agent that he wants to move to Real Sociedad for just £2.9 million a year after joining the Spanish champion. I’m shocked to hear this in the media, quite frankly, as I thought he was happy here at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena. Needless to say, I quickly squash any thought of Rønning leaving the club any time soon, and then pencil in an appointment with both the player and his agent to personally dress them both down for sowing disorder in the squad.

2nd of August 2008

Getafe returns with an acceptable offer for Salomon Olembé, so I take it.

In the meantime, Fiorentina wins the race to sign Barcelona’s Gerard, paying the Catalan club £16.75 million for him. Barcelona immediately use some of that money by paying Sevilla £7.5 million for left winger Daniel Osorno.

Friendly - Ternana v Cartagonova

We begin our visit to Italy with a match against Serie C1/B side Ternana, who used to enjoy better times in the Serie A only two seasons ago. Most of the players plying their trade at Ternana are unknown to anybody but their families, although they do have former Celtic striker Mark Burchill on their books. I give plenty of my signings a debut for Cartagonova today, with Thuram, Jesús, Bubb, Muslimovic and Edú all starting, while Ola Otfors-Palmqivst sits on the bench. Gillet begins in goal, while Lacruz and Salas patrol the left and Ameobi partners Edú up forward.

To be truthful, we’re not very good today and although we dominated the game for large stretches, we never really looked like testing Ternana too badly today. We do manage to score first, when on 65 minutes, substitute Otfors-Palmqvist bangs home Juan Hernández’s pass but Luigi Ricci equalises for Ternana with 9 minutes to play. Not an encouraging first-up hit-out by any stretch of the imagination, but given that it is more than two months since Cartagonova last played a game, and many of these players had never played with each other before, I suppose you couldn’t be too unhappy with the result.

Ternana (4-4-2): Di Magno (Lippi 69); Pancaro, Smoje, Conte (Scotta 69), Minieri ©; Miceli (Sala 62), Passiglia, Benin, Rabito (Denneboom 57); Tskhadaya (Ricci 62), Burchill (Casavola 57).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Gillet; Lacruz, Gershon ©, Smith (Lasa 81), Thuram; Jesús (Keità 57); Salas, Bubb (Clegg 65); Muslimovic (Hernández 57); Edú (Otfors-Palmqvist 57).

Final score: Ternana 1:1 Cartagonova

MoM - Alfonso Lippi

3rd of August 2008

Nancy makes an offer for Djibril Diawara worth £450,000. I accept it.

In the meantime, Olembé agrees terms with Getafe and is set to make the move, which he completes in the evening: Salomon Olembé (27 y/o, CAM 47 caps, 7 goals, D/DM LC): 3(1) apps, av. rating: 6.00.

However, Nancy soon withdraws its offer from the table when it finds that it can’t come to terms with Diawara.

Also in the evening, the English bureaucracy comes through with the working permit for Trent McClenahan in Sheffield United’s favour, so that move is also completed too: Trent McClenahan (23 y/o, AUS 3 caps, SW/D C): 24(1) apps, 1 goal, 3 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.48

4th of August 2008

Celta Vigo offers me £5.25 million for Kristian Tanem. I’m not interested. Not at that price.

After a week or so of patient negotiations, I manage to agree terms with an old boy who has forgiven and forgotten from a couple of years ago - Swedish defender Axel Wingård agrees to move from Rayo Vallodolid to Cartagonova for £1.6 million.

Dixie Flatline

Congratulations on all your success with club and county and well done on this epic of a story - the details is frightening!

One point has made me chuckle a bit though - As a fan of Norwich, Alex Notman's real life club the player who is so small there is no gap between his shorts and socks has scored 1 goal in over 70 games for the club and is now more often than not used as our back up Right winger. He's not a bad player but European striker of the year he is not!

Anyway this is a wonderful story that I've throughly enjoyed reading!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheSnowie:

Congratulations on all your success with club and county and well done on this epic of a story - the details is frightening!

One point has made me chuckle a bit though - As a fan of Norwich, Alex Notman's real life club the player who is so small there is no gap between his shorts and socks has scored 1 goal in over 70 games for the club and is now more often than not used as our back up Right winger. He's not a bad player but European striker of the year he is not!

Anyway this is a wonderful story that I've throughly enjoyed reading!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks very much TheSnowie! icon_smile.gif I'm happy that you enjoy the story I'm putting together here.

I know what you mean in relation to Alex Notman. One of my friends is also a long-suffering fan of Norwich and he's pointed out the fact that Notman is a fairly useless player when played as a striker!

Dixie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gino:

Still fantastic Dixie. Good luck for the new campaign. I'll certainly still be reading. Best read on the board.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Gino! icon_smile.gif I'll continue the new season very shortly!

Dixie

A very quick update for the weekend!

5th of August 2008

Espanyol wastes its time bidding £2.1 million for César Cabrera. Perhaps it should put the money towards trying to sign Alessandro del Piero.

Friendly - Monza v Cartagonova

The squad spends the day at the home of the Italian Grand Prix, at Monza. We’re invited by the Ferrari hierarchy to tour their facilities that construct the Ferrari Grand Prix team and gaze with appropriate awe upon the achievements of Michael Schumacher who retired from Formula 1 motor racing with seven world championships at the end of the 2006 season.

The match, on a dry cool evening in front of a crowd of slightly more than 3,500 people is uneventful, and a complete mismatch, pitting as it does a Serie C1/C club against the champion of Spain. Although I played a second-string eleven, there is still enough talent in the squad to smack Monza 4-1. Ameobi puts us on our way on 20 minutes with a good solo effort. Edú adds a second on 31 minutes when he takes Gillet’s long clearance, bypasses the static Monza defence and thunders a drive into the back of the net. Monza, to their credit, fight back after half-time when the captain, Alberto Comazzi, scores on 56 minutes. But we have too much class for our opponent and Edú effectively makes the game safe on 72 minutes. Ariel Carreño, on as a substitute in the second half, adds a fourth on 78 minutes, and perhaps we should have ended with five goals as Krantz’s goal in injury time is ruled out for off-side against Carreño.

Monza (3-5-2): Campagnolo; Valentini (Bressan 83), Vincenzo Ferri, Bianco (Michele Ferri 54); Comazzi ©, Della Morte (Petrillo 83), Mariniello, Ruscitti (Silvestri 54), Del Rossi; Colacone, Palmieri (Scandurra 64).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Gillet; Lacruz (César 64), Gershon ©, Smith, Cabrera; Jesús (Keità 64); Djordjic (Otfors-Palmqvist 64), Krantz; Muslimovic, Edú (Hernández 78), Ameobi (Carreño 64).

Final score: Monza 1:4 Cartagonova

Mom - Edú

After the game, the warm down routine claims a casualty as Martin Smith is ruled out for a month with a calf strain.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 9 to 5:

That's one tough warm down! icon_eek.gif

Great work Dixie.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, 9 to 5! icon_smile.gif Yes, I do enjoy injuring my players in the warm-down - it really makes them feel like they've warmed down! icon_biggrin.gif Just kidding, of course.

Cheers,

Dixie

7th of August 2008

Espanyol makes a bid of £950,000 over six months for veteran utility defender Ballesteros. It is an intriguing offer for a player now well into his thirties and who has lost his place as a regular in the first eleven. But if Espanyol are willing to pay over £1 million immediately, then they have a chance of tempting him to Barcelona.

8th of August 2008

Practically every season since he signed for us, Athletic Bilbao have tried to bring him back to his former club. Today, they offer me £1.5 million for José María Lacruz. But the deal is structured definitely in Athletic Bilbao’s favour, with £925,000 payable over six months and a further £600,000 after twenty league appearances.The offer is therefore rejected.

Nancy have better luck with a £450,000 bid for Djibril Diawara, as that offer is accepted. However, once more they cannot agree terms with the Senegalese international and they withdraw their offer.

Friendly - Lazio v Cartagonova

We end our trip of Italy in the Eternal City, Roma. We play Lazio at the Stadio Olimpico in front of just over 35,000 people, and we are the better side by far, having 16 attempts at goal, with twelve on target for the game. Zlatan Muslimovic is particularly impressive, first in the hole behind the two strikers then playing wide on the right late in the game. Ola Otfors-Palmqvist is also good coming off the bench, while Shola Ameobi seems to gaining confidence in his ability to find the back of the net - no doubt helped by the fact that he scored for the second consecutive game. At the back, Davide Bagnacani enjoys returning to the Stadio Olimpico as I give him his Cartagonova debut in place of Jean-François Gillet and he plays particularly well, particularly early in the game. But Axel Wingård makes an inauspicious return to Cartagonova colours as he gives away a free kick that leads to Lazio’s equaliser on 13 minutes and misses the two attempted tackles he tried before I take him off on 61 minutes.

Muslimovic opens the scoring when he picks up the rebound from Ameobi’s half-saved attempt on 12 minutes, but Pisanu quickly equalised a moment later to keep it all square. We dominate possession for the remainder of the half, with Lazio relying upon Robson Ponté testing Bagnacani from long distance with free kicks. Three minutes into injury time at the end of the half, Cabrera picks up the ball from Lazio’s poor clearance and sends it back into the area where the strong Nigerian striker, Ameobi, times his jump to perfection to power a header past the Lazio keeper into the back of the net.

We have several excellent opportunities in the second half to extend the score-line in our favour, but Edú, Ameobi and Otfors-Palmqvist all spurn their chances, mostly by excellent goalkeeping from the Lazio keeper, who takes out the man of the match award at the end of the game. Still, I’m quite happy with the 2-1 victory in hostile enemy territory over a quite strong opponent.

Lazio (3-5-2): Soares de Souza; Cristante (Pacini 50), Martinovic, Bonera ©; Rasch (Prete 50), Emre (Cotroneo 50), Dalla Bona (Nuno Gomes 78), Fusseini, Mitic (Sibilano 50); Pisanu, Róbson Ponté (Coppola 78).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Bagnacani; Cabrera, Gershon ©, WingÃ¥rd (Lasa 61), Thuram (Ballesteros 78); Jesús (Keità 61); Djordjic (Hernández 78), Krantz (Otfors-Palmqvist 61); Muslimovic; Edú, Ameobi.

Final score: Lazio 1:2 Cartagonova

MoM - Fábio Soares de Souza

Ballesteros injures his ankle in the warm-down session after the game, ruling himself out for three weeks.

9th of August 2008

Espanyol finds itself unable to meet my terms for Ballesteros.

10th of August 2008

Compostela starts my day with a bid of £150,000 for Djibril Diawara. That’s not enough to allow Compostela to talk to him.

Friendly - Cartagonova v Linense

To honour Fernando Morán, we play Linense at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena, but with only around 1,900 people in attendance on what is a fine, warm and sunny summer’s day here at Cartagena. As might be expected when the champion of Spain, featuring many of those who guided the club towards the championship last season, meets a struggling club that has never once even looked like being promoted to the Segunda Liga, we won the game comfortably. Per Vener Rønning, playing at left back, scored the first goal on 8 minutes when he overlapped superbly and ran onto Michel’s intelligent pass to put the ball in the back of Linense’s net.

We lose Redondo on 13 minutes, and I replace him with Edú, to partner Notman up forward. Michel forces a corner a moment later and while Garrido doesn’t make best use of it, Linense can’t clear it and the Spanish international winger hits a volley past Gabriel from Clegg’s pass back into the area. De La Sagra opens up for Linense on 20 minutes, but Vidal is there to stop Linense getting back into the game. Lasa then forces Gabriel into a good save on 31 minutes, while Clegg has enough space in the box to test the Linense keeper but neither can extend our lead. Gavião’s header from Garrido’s corner hits the bar and goes out of play with Gabriel nowhere near.

After half-time, Alex Notman tries his luck on goal on 56 minutes, but Gabriel is there to stop him scoring. I make some substitutions over the course of the next fifteen minutes, and one of them, Kristian Tanem, rounds off the scoring on 77 minutes when he advances from midfield to put the ball past Gabriel! icon_smile.gif Reyes makes Vidal work once more a moment later, but we are the better side on the day and we send off Fernando Morán in style.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Lasa, WingÃ¥rd, César; Michel (Salas 76), Gavião (Tanem 62), Garrido; Clegg (Otfors-Palmqvist 62), Redondo (Edú 13), Notman.

Linense (4-4-2): Gabriel; Agné, Abreu (Jiménez 67), Villena, Alfonso; De La Sagra ©, Rosa (David Garrido 72), Marco, Pedro (Lozano 60); Capi (Reyes 67), Angelillo.

Final score: Cartagonova 3:0 Linense

MoM - George Clegg

Unfortunately, I have to rule out Redondo for three weeks as he injured his knee in the game. That means he won’t play in Spain’s first World Cup qualifier against Poland which is just over three weeks away.

11th of August 2008

José María Lacruz joins Redondo, Ballesteros and Martin Smith on the treatment tables as he bruises a shin badly in training this afternoon. He’ll be unavailable for around ten days.

12th of August 2008

Espanyol wastes its time offering me £2.1 million for César Cabrera. I reject that offer without a moment’s hesitation.

Instead, I decide to add another player to the roster as I sign former Barcelona champion and Brazilian international Rivaldo for free after he was released on a free transfer by 1860 München.

Dixie Flatline

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maollelujah:

"With all the over-rated bast*ards Senor Flatline has signed, even I could win a few trophies!!!" Mao tells the Spanish Media.

Well it is a good story, surely one of the best. Good Luck, as if you need it.

The Sancho Pancho

to your Don Quixote.

Mao<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still think it's excellent that I've been able to sign Rivaldo and Thuram, even though it might be at the end of their playing careers. I'm sorry to have had to let Romario go in order to fit Thuram into my coaching staff, but Thuram is a better coach anyway! And the Gaunt One should still be capable of pulling off a few tricks!

Thank you for the praise, Mao! icon_smile.gif I hope you continue to read and enjoy the story as it unfolds!

Dixie

A mightily quick update!

F1 Cup IV - Semi-Final: Cartagonova v Luis Angel Firpo

The now traditional F1 Cup involves Cartagonova, El Salvador club Firpo, Italian champion Bari and Portuguese club Farense. We’re drawn against Firpo, and we prevail fairly comfortably. On the half-hour, Notman crashes through the Firpo defence before pulling it back for Otfors-Palmqvist to knock it down for Jesús to smash home. We could have had a couple more goals before half-time but at the break we lead thanks to Jesús’ goal. Like the first half, we dominate the second, but it takes us twenty minutes to add to the score sheet when Byron Bubb runs intelligently into the box and is picked out by Gavião with a perfect pass. The English winger calmly slots the ball past the Firpo keeper and we’re on our way. But with ten minutes to play, Firpo pull one back through Otta, who finishes off a good Firpo move in our half. We’re straight back on the offensive and on 87 minutes, we score our deserved third goal through Bubb who loses his marker comprehensively and fires home from Juan Hernández’s cross.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, Gershon, Keità, Thuram (Rønning 57); Otfors-Palmqvist, Jesús (Gavião 57), Salas (Bubb 57); Muslimovic; Carreño (Hernández 75).

Luis Angel Firpo (5-3-2): Billabona; Miguel, Zurbano, Calle, Huarte (Otta 57), Romero (Morales García 57); Iraola (Busquets 70), Morientes © (Rosel 88), Sáenz de Cenzano (Butragueño 57 (Capitán 81)); Xavi (Estévez 50), Valdomino.

Final score: Cartagonova 3:1 Luis Angel Firpo

MoM - Byron Bubb

In the evening game, Bari thrashes Farense 5-0 with Antonio Cassano scoring a hat-trick. But I do notice that Farense has a good young English defender by the name of Terry Shaw, who comes out of contract at the end of the season. He is 20, strong and not afraid of diving into the tackle. I’m going to have my scouts keep an eye on him to see if he is worth investing in for the future.

13th of August 2008

Rayo Vallecano makes an offer of £140,000 for Djibril Diawara. Given that he is valued at £425,000, it will take a lot more from Madrid’s third club to take him away from Cartagonova. In the end, I lop £100,000 off Diawara’s value in response to Rayo Vallecano’s offer.

In the meantime, I have to hose down speculation that Spanish international full-back César will move either to Racing Santander or Sevilla for £4 million.

In the third place playoff, Farense beats Firpo on penalties after the game ended 0-0 in front of just 1,696 people.

F1 Cup IV - Final: Bari v Cartagonova

I completely switch the side around for the final against the defending Italian champion Bari. Rivaldo appears for the first time in a Cartagonova shirt on the field of play, while Wingård and Lasa pair up at the back, with Rønning and Thuram beside them on the flanks. Ameobi and Hernández play up front, ahead of George Clegg, with Garrido taking up his normal position on the right. Gavião takes the captain’s arm-band from the rested Iván Vidal with Davide Bagnacani in goal.

Bari tries its luck first with captain Antonio Cassano firing a volleyed shot over the bar on 5 minutes. On 16 minutes, Colombian international defender Iván Córdoba is lucky to stay on the pitch after he slides through late on George Clegg, sending the English midfielder flying across the wet turf. I’m up on my feet in protest against the yellow card dished out by the referee, and then I’m further incensed when Simen Brenne is lucky to escape with just a booking nine minutes later when he commits a similar foul on Hernández. On 26 minutes, however, we take the lead when Clegg finds Hernández unmarked in Bari’s box. Salgueiro does brilliantly to turn the shot aside but Rivaldo uses his experience to be in the right place at the right time to tuck the rebound away. But he lasts only another ten minutes when on 36 minutes he is sent off for a foul no worse than what Brenne or Córdoba committed. I’m furious with the referee’s decision and make my fury known to the hapless fourth official. I’m pulled back by Luis Sosa, but not before I give the officials a piece of my mind.

But the loss of Rivaldo doesn’t seem to faze us as Hernández hits a stinging drive that almost takes Salgueiro’s fingers off on 41 minutes. A moment later, the young Spaniard is again denied by the Portuguese keeper as we bombard Bari’s defence. At the end of the half, Hernández and then Ameobi both miss golden opportunities to extend our lead, but I’m fairly happy with our standard of play at the break. Eight minutes into the second half, we have our deserved goal when Gavião rushes into the box at the right moment to hit Garrido’s low cross past Salgueiro! icon_smile.gif We continue to attack, but unfortunately Swedish striker Yksel Osmanovski finds a way past the previously mercurial Axel Wingård and fires a scoring shot past Bagnacani to put the pressure back on us. The setback is only temporary however, as with ten minutes to play Juan Hernández restores our two goal cushion when he stylishly chips Salgueiro from the edge of Bari’s penalty box! icon_biggrin.gif Bari spurn two opportunities to make the final few moments interesting for us, and we deservedly lift the trophy at the end of the game.

Bari (4-4-2): Salgueiro; Díaz (Candela 61), Córdoba, Valgaeren (Tudor 56), Skerla (Pellegrino 51 (Gatti 91)); Pinardi (Scarpa 51), Brenne, Ghetti, Espinal (Osmanovski 56); Zurawski, Cassano ©.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Bagnacani; Rønning (César 72), WingÃ¥rd, Lasa, Thuram; Gavião ©; Rivaldo, Garrido; Clegg; Ameobi (Tanem 72), Hernández.

Final score: Bari 1:3 Cartagonova

MoM - Gavião

Unbelievably, the Spanish FA sees fit to ban Rivaldo for the opening game of the season, despite the fact that he was the victim of inconsistent refereeing. There is, of course, no point in appealing to the Spanish FA’s sense of decency, given that they have none! icon_mad.gif

14th of August 2008

DC United plunges in with a bid of £7.25 million for César Cabrera. But the catch is that it is payable over 18 months. That is not acceptable to me, should I even consider selling the promising full-back, and I turn the offer down.

Dixie Flatline

Archived