From the Fringe- Holyhead Hotspur

Faramir

MD- Similar to both Harrow Hill efforts and my past Phoenix Sports story- this one begins with a wee bit of editing. I brought Holyhead Hotspur into Conference North in place of Hucknall. Before bringing them in, I removed the half-dozen players on contract with the squad, so I begin at the same place as those efforts- no players, no staff, no funds. The main difference between this one and the current Harrow Hill story (Another Harrowing Misadventure) is that Harrow Hill is operating under the Ages Challenge restrictions and Holyhead will not be. Hope this one turns out as much fun as the Harrow Hill story and is entertaining as well. icon_smile.gif

I figured I was whiling away my time as Manager of Holyhead Hotspur- until something better came along. The club hadn't been good enough (yet!) to earn its way into the Welsh Leagues and there seemed little that could change our current state. All of the players had left- refusing to renew their contracts, leaving me with only those ambitious amateurs that were willing to play for a match or two. Because of the poor weather during the summer, everything seemed bleaker- if possible. I remember walking out to the tip of the Point several times and wondering about what seemed to be my wasted prospects. My hopes dashed many times before, I was not expecting the ray of sunshine that changed both the club and myself- Raven Treader.

With Hucknall's sudden disappearance from Conference North as punishment for financial improprieties by their Board, the opening was in place. Why we were selected to fill it is a matter of much conjecture and even now I don't know the real reason- it may have been past relationships with one of our Board, it may have been convenience, but whatever the case both the club and I were thrust into both a dream and a nightmare at the same time. The chance was wonderful, but I was caught offguard and left scrambling to try and cobble together a club to play in Conference North.

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I quickly managed to assemble a staff, though the only available ones willing to throw in their lot with me were just as unknown as me. Mark Bradshaw signed on as my Assistant Manager. Mark had previously been a scout- but he has fine awareness of tactics and I need his valuable insight on player evaluation. Our coaches will be Ray Newland, Andrew Mockler, Jason Treeby and Gavin Hall. Rob Harris will work as our Physio. Our Scouts will be Rob Campkin, Spencer Field, Bob Pearson and Dave Colley.

Our first player signings were a pair of center defenders- 19 year old Rob Walker, released from the Oldham youth program and 20 year old Adrian Bristow, who was let go by the Swindon youth program. These two youngsters are as good a place as any to begin building the base for a club that can stay up.

More signings for us as we continued to fill out the club. I hoped to have a fairly complete club for our first friendly against Marine on the 17th. The second round of signings brought us 17 year old center defender John Sutton, 24 year old versatile attacker Jamie Horsley, 19 year old leftback Karl Vernon, 20 year old center midfielder Lloyd McGowan, 19 year old center midfielder Aaron Nowacki, 24 year old rightback Stewart Morris and 21 year old center midfielder Andy McGregor. This was Sutton's first professional contract, while the others were released from various clubs youth programs.

We likely won't quite be able to field a full squad for our first friendly- I am finding it difficult to sign a keeper I like- but we were able to add 22 year old versatile wing player Carl Murkin, 18 year old forward Thomas Byrne and 18 year old defender Ian Burns were the most recent signees.

Thank you avstwentyone- I appreciate the kind words icon_smile.gif If you look closely, you would find that Dave Colley, Spencer Field, Rob Campkin and Bob Pearson appear in many of my stories over the years- they are the best scouts you can hire as a small club just starting out.

I must admit I was left a bit stunned as we easily defeated Marine 4-0 at The New Oval in our first friendly. My expectations were a lot lower than what we achieved. Thomas Byrne scored a brace, while Jamie Horsley also added a goal. David Harris, one of our 'graymen' amateurs who stuck around, played well at leftwing to earn a contract offer (over Mark Bradshaw's objections). Carl Murkin was MOM and surprised me with how well he played on leftwing.

As we readied ourselves for our 2nd friendly- hosting AFC Telford- we now have a full squad on hand. The additions during the week included the surprising signing of promising 18 year old center defender Mark Roberts. Roberts was drawing interest from the likes of Birmingham and QPR, so it was pleasing to get him under contract. Also joining us were 22 year old forward John Mann, 24 year old forward Paul Wheatcroft, 19 year old forward Scott Hayhoe, 24 year old winger/forward Ben Woods, 23 year old winger Jamie Ougham, 18 year old winger Michael Tuohy, 20 year old rightwing Soloman Henry, 23 year old leftback Mark Studley, 18 year old center midfielder Christopher Gilligan and 18 year old center midfielder Lee Davidson. We also managed to get three keepers under contract- 24 year old Paul Nicholls, who likely will be the number 1 keeper, and 26 year olds Andy Love and Luke Weaver. This will likely draw to a close our initial signings as we are close, but still under, the weekly wage budget and now I will let the scouts do more of the work in rooting out players.

Our second friendly wound up a scoreless draw with AFC Telford, but overall I was happy enough with our play. We showed good ball movement and had many quality scoring chances- but failed to put most of them on goal. Defensively we showed good coverage and shifting to cover with player's challenging- what I hoped to see.

The signing of Mark Roberts turned out to be very temporary- but it was a hugely important financial windfall for the club. West Brom and Birmingham both came calling about purchasing him and I managed to hammer out a deal with West Brom that gives us 100K right now and 10K a month from them for the next 24 months. Considering our payroll is only 2500/week- for the moment we are well set to cover expenses for awhile. The Board was well pleased at this turn of events and now will allow me up to 50K for transfer funds and boosted the weekly wage budget up to 3400/week- at least until our balance sheet changes. With the sale we are in much better shape overall than I expected us to be before the season began.

We lost our third friendly- our first road effort- to local rival Amlwch 1-0 at Lon Bach. We played well enough to deserve better, but failed to finish well. They victimised us late in the second half when Carl Murkin missed intercepting a cross and Ian Blake was right at the far post to put the shot away past Andy Love.

Our friendlies closed out in impressive fashion as we had six different players score in a 6-0 rout of Runcorn at the New Oval. Tom Byrne, John Mann, Andy McGregor, Jamie Ougham, Paul Wheatcroft and Carl Murkin all notched goals in the win.

I have settled on our starting lineup as we host Stalybridge to open our Conference North season.

GK- Paul Nicholls

DR- Stewart Morris

DL- Mark Studley

DC- Rob Walker

DC- Adrian Bristow

MR- Ben Woods

ML- Michael Tuohy

MC- Andy McGregor

MC- Christopher Gilligan

SC- John Mann

SC- Tom Byrne

Sub- Jamie Horsley

Sub- Carl Murkin

Sub- Aaron Nowacki

Sub- Andy Love

Sub- Ian Burns

There were a few final signings as I tried to dress out the club's depth. James Pike is a 22 year old forward that my scouts liked a lot. Since I wanted one more forward for the rotation- I went with their suggestion. 22 year old Jason Osborne came from the Derby youth program and becomes our only true leftwinger (that is left footed at least). Another suggestion from our scouts led me to sign 21 year old center midfielder Danny Walsh. We should have enough depth to handle the midweek matches now. Last to sign was 22 year old center defender Michael Merrick. Merrick was highly recommended by my scouts after his release from the Norwich youth program.

Holyhead Hotspur (4) Stalybridge (0)

I couldn't have asked for a finer debut from the boys. We struggled a bit in the first half and missed a golden chance to gain the lead in first half injury time when Carl Murkin's penalty kick was saved by Paul Pettinger. We managed to shrug off the struggles in the second half and John Mann earned MOM honours as he scored a hat-trick in his debut for us. Carl Murkin set up Andy McGregor beautifully for the other goal as our fans at The New Oval celebrated our surprising win.

Harrogate (1) Holyhead Hotspur (2)

We had to hang on a bit at the end, but we played well enough to take a 2-0 lead and then converted it into a road win. Paul Wheatcroft had an excellent debut for us and his finishing was the difference. Following a scoreless first half, Wheatcroft put away a loose ball that bobbled to him while unmarked in the area. He proved he has a sense about being in the right place as he made it a brace seven minutes later, again on a poor clearance by the home side. Lee Nogan drew a goal back with a header past Paul Nicholls on a corner from Lee Philpott. We played solid defensively after that and Jamie Ougham earned MOM honours for his work up and down both wings in the match, as he moved to leftwing after an early injury to Jason Osborne.

Holyhead Hotspur (0) Leigh RMI (1)

It was a closely played match, but a header by Chris Simm, as he outleapt Mark Studley at the far post on a cross, was the goal Leigh needed to hand us a humbling defeat late in the second half at The New Oval. We didn't really deserve a better result as we were misfiring on passes all match and squandered many decent scoring chances through our poor ball management. Paul Nicholls had done well to keep us even, but he was nursing a slight leg injury and he couldn't come up with the save we needed on the header. Leigh defender Francis Duku earned MOM honours. John Mann suffered a gashed head late in the match and will likely miss a couple weeks healing.

We have signed five promising 16 year olds in hopes of bolstering our non-existent player development system. Joining us are rightwinger D'juvane Davidson, forward Mekel Hackett, forward Paul Jenkin, leftback Liam Brady and midfielder Lewis McGugan.

Hyde (2) Holyhead Hotspur (1)

They handed us an own-goal early on to give us the lead, but we gave it back when we failed to defend their crosses as they scored on two headers past Andy Love to earn the win. Paul Jones deflected a cross from Ian Burns past Tim Mullock, but that was the only thing we could by him. Scott Hayhoe missed close three times and one of those in the goal would have been dearly welcome. Neil Tolson got them even by slipping his marker on a free kick and dumping a header past Love. The match winner came in first half injury time when MOM Steve Brackenridge showed up Karl Vernon's short-comings clearly by leaping over him to deflect a cross past Love.

We looked to have a good chance after Alex Mortimer was redcarded in the second half, but our passing was again suspect in missing the chances we needed to have an opportunity to equalize.

A couple more free transfer reinforcements were signed- thanks to scout's reccommendations. 22 year old forward John Connors and 19 year center midfielder Michael Payne will join the club. They are mostly depth at this point, but might make solid contributions.

Holyhead Hotspur (1) Kettering (1)

It appeared we had snatched a last moment win in the match when we scored at 89 minutes, but Paul Wheatcroft's lack of composure cost us the equalizer in second half injury time as we were left with a disappointing draw. Through much of the match, we struggled with our passing and wasted what appeared to be several excellent chances without getting shots on goal. We were doing a solid job defensively of keeping the visitors in check. We struck late when MOM Aaron Nowacki made a wonderful pass to James Pike in the area and he slipped his shot inside the left post past Mark Osborne. It looked like we would hang on, despite their rallying attempts, until Paul Wheatcroft inexplicably took a pass and just stood there- not just booting the ball up the pitch. David Theobald took it away and slid the pass through to Andrew Windross, who had time to beat Paul Nicholls cleanly with the equalizer. It was a terribly disappointing way to end what had been a solid effort.

Worcester (0) Holyhead Hotspur (3)

A win that showed our improvements in the finer aspects of the game. We took advantage of set piece situations to score all three of our goals, though we could easily have had another couple if Neil Finn hadn't played so well on other chances. Lloyd McGowan gave us the lead when he deflected a corner kick from Carl Murkin past Finn for his 1st Holyhead goal midway through the first half. Less than five minutes later it was MOM Ben Woods drilling a 25 yard free kick past Finn for his 1st Holyhead goal. Woods capped a fine effort with another 30 yard free kick blast past Finn midway through the second half to help ensure the easy win as Paul Nicholls had excellent help in putting up the clean sheet. Losing Paul to sprained ankle for possbily the next couple months made the victory a bit costly- especially as Luke Weaver is barely returning to play after knee problems- leaving Andy Love our only healthy keeper.

Holyhead Hotspur (2) RC Warwick (0) FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round

It took some doing, but we managed to score a pair of late goals to see off a determined RC Warwick side that pressed us throughout the match. Andy Love earned MOM honours for his work in goal, though he got off scot free when he handed the ball away to Ben Mackey in the opening moments of the second half, as Mackey launched his shot over the goal. We gained the lead at 79 minutes when James Pike slipped a pass to unmarked Andy McGregor and McGregor whipped it past James Dixon to give us the lead. Michael Merrick made a terrific through ball to put Pike away free and he put his chance away past Dixon to make it 2-0. We had to survive intense pressure from there and Love earned his clean sheet with several dazzling stops to keep things tidy in the win.

Holyhead Hotspur (1) Droylsden (0)

Another close match for us, but we could also have won this match by more than one goal. The only goal came when MOM Ben Woods managed to push a pass in that found Aaron Nowacki breaking free of his marker in the area. Nowacki buried his shot in the goal past Paul Phillips for his 1st ever goal at Holyhead. We blanketed their midfield with our hardworking group and kept control over much of the match. We were oh so close to adding goals several times, but just missed the net on them. Andy Love put up the clean sheet in the win.

Holyhead Hotspur (1) Droylsden (0)

Another close match for us, but we could also have won this match by more than one goal. The only goal came when MOM Ben Woods managed to push a pass in that found Aaron Nowacki breaking free of his marker in the area. Nowacki buried his shot in the goal past Paul Phillips for his 1st ever goal at Holyhead. We blanketed their midfield with our hardworking group and kept control over much of the match. We were oh so close to adding goals several times, but just missed the net on them. Andy Love put up the clean sheet in the win.

Workington (1) Holyhead Hotspur (0)

We deserved the result as we handed them the opportunity that they took advantage of. We also didn't play well offensively and really failed to show the same spark I had seen in the past several matches. The only goal came when Danny Walsh made a horrid backpass from the center of the pitch. Andy Love couldn't flag it down and that gave them a corner. Freddy Cass made us pay when he outleapt Mark Studley and deflected it past Love. Despite our struggles, Stewart Morris played well enough to earn MOM honours- but he was the only shining light in our effort today.

Holyhead Hotspur (2) Worthing (0) FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round

A shattering goal changed the course of a tight match and for a change we weren't on the giving away end of things. Andy Lutwyche sent a screaming backpass by his own keeper and into the goal at 71 minutes and that broke the back of the visiting club. We had dominated the first half and into the second half, but our poor shooting had left us goalless. After the own-goal we sprung John Connors and he finally finished off a chance with a nice goal for his 1st goal for us. The spirit had left Worthing and we closed out the clean sheet for Andy Love.

Thanks Spav-- good reminder, so I fixed it up- thanks for that too icon_smile.gif

Holyhead Hotspur (4) Northwich (0)

A great effort by our midfield ensured that we maintained control throughout the match. James Pike made that control pay off when he gained us the lead by deflecting a long cross from Stewart Morris past Kristian Rogers. The match really became ours when Kieron Charnock was redcarded for a cynical foul when he took down Lloyd McGowan in the area. Carl Murkin converted the penalty kick and we held a comfortable 2-0 halftime lead. Pike earned MOM honours when he potted his 2nd goal of the match early in the second half. Jamie Ougham added his 1st goal at Holyhead to cap the scoring in our solid win at The New Oval.

Yate (0) Holyhead Hotspur (1) FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round

It was off on a flyer for us and we rode that goal in the opening moments to a 1-0 win over Yate at Lodge Road in our FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round match. The goal came courtesy of a terrible pass by Nicky Spooner. Spooner failed to see Paul Wheatcroft lurking in the middle of the pitch and sent a pass across the pitch that went directly to him. Keeper Ben Jolly was moving and got caught badly out of position when Wheatcroft stepped up and launched a 40 yard strike past him. We had plenty of chances to add to that margin, but for one reason or another weren't able to capitalize. Stewart Morris earned the MOM honours as we will now move in to the 1st Round of the FA Cup. The 14K we were awarded for winning the match is very welcome.

Worksop (1) Holyhead Hotspur (0)

We started well against Worksop at Babbage Way, but a redcard to Mark Studley in the 14th minute proved ultimately to be our undoing. Despite being a man down, we generated some quality scoring chances, but were again missing the goal with our shots. Studley's foul left us playing with a 3-man backline and Lee Morris finally found space early in the second half. Andy Love, injured himself but unwilling to come out, made the initial save and Morris hammered home the rebound for the only goal of the match as he earned MOM honours.

With both Andy Love and Paul Nicholls out with injuries, I made a transfer purchase of a young keeper that my scouts liked a lot. 19 year old Stuart Cain was playing for Welsh side UWA and they were willing to accept my 1K bid for him. Cain was pleased to sign on with us and will now move into the backup role until we get healthier and Luke Weaver- just healed himself- will start.

Holyhead Hotspur (2) Moor Green (1)

It was a spirited match from the start- though not always a well played one by both sides. We squandered a few good early chances- Tom Byrne is a good talent at forward, but hasn't shown me yet that he can put his shots on goal- but broke through when Michael Tuohy deflected a stewart Morris cross past James Coates. They promptly answered that when Karl Vernon missed intercepting a cross (again!) and Paul Kitson deflected past Luke Weaver. The match became a see-saw after that as each side took turns attacking. We benefitted in the second half as our pressure paid off. Coates came out to play a ball out of his area and lost control of it with John Mann right on top of him. Mann, just back from injury, celebrated his return by driving a 35 yard shot into the goal for the eventual match winner. We had to withstand a late rally, but the final whistle found us still in front. Christopher Gilligan earned MOM honours for us.

Kidderminster (1) Holyhead Hotspur (0) FA Cup 1st Round

Stuart Cain deserved better in his debut, but a terrible giveaway by Soloman Henry allowed Taiwo Atieno to launch a 30 yard strike past Cain for the only goal of the match. We had played a solid first half and gotten some good chances, but neither Tom Byrne or Paul Wheatcroft seem able take advantage of space and they both wasted chances. Cain made three good saves in the first half and played well after being hung out to dry on the goal. We gave the larger side a good match, but they move on in FA Cup.

Barrow (0) Holyhead Hotspur (3)

Another great match out of John Mann as his hat-trick keyed us to a nice road win. Unfortunately, it came at the expense of him injuring his hamstring (again), so he will again miss a month of play. We played solid on defense and Stuart Cain did well in earning his clean sheet in the win. Mann earned MOM honours, but our entire midfield and backline also played well in the match.

Eastbourne Boro (0) Holyhead Hotspur (1) FA Trophy 2nd Round

Another solid match for us as we managed to get the one goal we needed and then stood off home side Eastbourne Boro for a taut 1-0 win. The first half featured plenty of action at both ends, but neither side managed a goal as we went to the dressing room scoreless. We scored the lone goal of the match early in the second half when Tom Byrne made a terrific short cross that Scott Hayhoe deflected past Lee Worgan for his 1st goal at Holyhead. After the goal, we played excellent defense and Luke Weaver earned his clean sheet with a pair of timely saves. Defender Stewart Morris claimed MOM honours.

Holyhead Hotspur (2) Hinckley (1)

We had to fight back from the opening minutes of this match as the Referee caused havoc with our plans. Aaron Nowacki crumpled in a heap in our area, due to an aggressive challenge by Jonathan Harkness. With him down, play moved up the pitch- our boys hadn't noticed him missing- and Daniel Sloane took advantage of him laying there to stay on side- cheaply. When they lofted a ball down to him, Stuart Cain made the save, but the Ref immediately whistled Christopher Gilligan for a push in the area. Cain came up with a huge save of Carl Heeley's penalty and Sam Shilton missed over the goal on the rebound. The Ref wasn't done yet though and five minutes later awarded a second penalty kick after a questionable foul by Rob Walker on Chris Kerry. Heeley didn't miss this penalty kick and we were trailing 1-0. We got back to even later in the first half as MOM Jamie Ougham snapped a shot past Ryan Price. We spent the second half storming their end and it finally paid off in the end as Gilligan crossed to John Connors. Price tried to snare the cross and instead saw Connors deflect it past him for a dramatic match winner in the waning moments. Our injury problems continue to mount with the loss of our best midfielder- Nowacki- to knee problems for the next month or two.

Burscough (2) Holyhead Hotspur (1) FA Trophy 3rd Round

A costly penalty kick wound up dooming us in the second half of what had been an entertaining match. We had the pressure in the early going, but they scored first when Gary Martindale slipped the marking of Liam Burns and snapped a shot past David Nicholls- just returning from injury. We went to halftime even at 1-1 thanks to an injury time goal as Tom Byrne finally scored his 1st goal for us off a nice through ball from Carl Murkin. Michael Merrick was called for a trip in the area on Martindale early in the second half and Martindale converted the penalty kick to earn MOM honours. The effort for the equalizer was there, but our execution was faulty and we couldn't find the goal we needed.

Gainsborough (2) Holyhead Hotspur (1)

A wasted match for us and a disappointing loss. We had taken the lead early on in the first half when MOM Lloyd McGowan deflected a Carl Murkin corner past Andy Capp. We were not able to build on the lead, though Ben Woods continues to adapt well in his move to forward. Woods came close to scoring twice, but missed close both times. Rob Walker had a forgettable match and his unnecessary trip in the area allowed Danny Steadman to convert the penalty kick past Stuart Cain for the equalizer in the opening moments of the second half. Things got worse for Walker when he failed to mark Adam Kerley on a free kick and it was a quickfire double to put the home side into the lead. Walker came out as Danny Walsh came in for a more offensive approach. It almost paid off- we had some nice chances to get back to even, but couldn't find the goal with our shots. We could have won this match and I am disappointed that we didn't garner a better result.

Holyhead Hotspur (5) Stafford (0)

What a stunning match! What a stunning performance from Ben Woods! Stafford came in comfortably in 1st place in the ECN and were heavily favored. Instead they saw Woods put their backline to the sword as he scored all 5 of our goals in the match. Clearly demonstrating that he was adapting to forward, Woods scored his 1st goal in the 4th minute courtesy of a good pass from Carl Murkin. He quickly made that a brace at 11 minutes as Andy McGregor skipped a pass into him and he put it away past Dean Williams. The hat-trick came on a 20 yard free kick from the center of the pitch that he rocketed past Williams. It appeared that we might have opened the door to allow them a chance to comeback when Adrian Bristow was called for a last-man redcard at 62 minutes, but we just kept working on defense. Woods scored #4 at 77 minutes as Michael Tuohy found him with space and he snapped his shot past Williams. Christopher Gilligan put Woods away for #5 on a through ball. Woods raced down the right and then slammed his shot past Williams to cap a match for the ages.

It was a whirlwind of transfer activity as I begin to try and sort the squad to better suit our style of play. Paul Wheatcroft will be moving to Connah's Quay on January 1 as they will pay us 16K for him. John Sutton will be moving to Rossendale for 2K. Signing on with us is a significant addition as we added 21 year old Northern Irish forward Neil Teggart on free transfer. Teggart had been playing in Australia, but had returned when his Perth Glory contract had not been renewed. He gives us a forward who might do very well pairing with Woods up front. Since all my original player contracts were for one-year only, there was a lot of renegotiation as I tried to get the players I wanted to keep under new contract. For the most part I was successful, but the one who won't sign is John Mann. He is already being scouted by several sides (Scoring 7 goals in 4 matches will draw that kind of interest) and I may well have to sell him for his minimum release fee come January 1.

A small price of 1K landed us 19 year old English Center Midfielder Craig Mitchell from S****horpe. Mitchell impressed my scouts and should quickly work into the Senior side mix.

Portsmouth was the club who came calling about John Mann. There was little I could do when I counter-offered his minimum fee release amount and they agreed to pay that for him. Mann was pleased to be moving to the bigger club. We will receive 475K when the deal is completed on January 1- a nice amount to help build up our coffers.

Alfreton (2) Holyhead Hotspur (5)

It was 1st place Stafford last match and 2nd place Alfreton this time as we blew open a close match in the second half on our way to an impressive 5-2 road win. They scored first in the match when Lee Featherstone knocked home a rebound after Paul Nicholls parried a blast from Jason Blunt. We hammered away for the rest of the first half as we controlled the midfield, but we couldn't find a way to score on Shaun Bodkin. The second half was another story as our offense roared to life. James Pike got us even when he deflected a cross from Christopher Gilligan past Bodkin for his 5th goal of the season. We quickly took the lead after Liam Clarke tripped Andy McGregor in the area. Carl Murkin calmly converted the penalty kick to move us ahead 2-1. It turned into a quickfire double as Ben Woods made a quick move and a fine finish past Bodkin on a pass from McGregor. Alfreton hit back to narrow the margin to 3-2 as Jason Blunt deflected a short cross from Stephen Quinn past Nicholls. With the match on the line, Alfreton turned into their own worst enemy. Dave Robinson sent a pass across, but Woods skinned Clarke and was in free on Bodkin. Woods rifled a shot inside the left post for his brace. Mark Blount then added to their woes with another pass that Woods stepped in front of and went off to the races down the middle. Woods made another good move with the ball before firing a rising shot over diving Bodkin for his hat-trick and 10th goal of the season. Woods earned MOM honours and has scored 8 goals in the last two matches against the top-placed clubs in the ECN.

We will have to wait for his loan to expire in mid-January, but I was pleased to be able to complete a modest 1K transfer purchase of 20 year old English forward Danny Morgan from Oxford (on loan to Havant & W). MOrgan is a quick left footed forward and should blend in seamlessly to the group of forwards we are working on improving.

Redditch (1) Holyhead Hotspur (1)

Our problems with corners continued and it cost us an early goal as Redditch got off on a flyer when Scott Dann deflected a corner past Andy Love- making his return from injury. Andy unfortunately was injured shortly after that and Stuart Cain had to come in for him. We poured on the pressure to try and equalize, but their backline was rock solid and their tackling kept us from getting any good chances to score as we trailed 1-0 at halftime. We kept up the pressure in the second half and subbing on Jamie Horsley and John Connors seemed to help. The equalizer came courtesy of the home side as Sean Flynn scored an own-goal while trying to head away a looping cross. We came close to taking the match, but Connors and Christopher Gilligan both missed close in the late going and we had to settle for the fightback draw. Andy McGregor earned MOM honours for his work in midfield for us. This match completes a nasty stretch of the season. Since the beginning of November, we have only played 2 home matches- out of the 9 played, as all 3 of our Cup/FA Trophy matches were on the road.

Well, thank you Cro-meister, did not expect to have anyone actually from there following along icon_smile.gif Hope it will remain enjoyable for you.

Holyhead Hotspur (4) Lancaster (0)

This match was closer than the score would indicate and the unsung hero for us was definately Keeper Paul Nicholls, who came up with big saves every time we needed them in earning a clean sheet. It was our turn to get off on a flyer as Stewart Morris' pass allowed Ben Woods to rip a shot past Ryan Yeomans in the opening minute of the match. MOM Michael Tuohy made a dazzling right side run before crossing for James Pike to deflect the ball inside the far left post. Lancaster stormed our end for the rest of the first half, but we kept them off the board thanks to Nicholls. We finally began putting the match away when Christopher Gilligan made a good cross that John Connors, on for Woods, deflected past Yeomans. Pike then capped the scoring as he made it a brace when he deflected a Mark Studley free kick past Yeomans in second half injury time.

With the sales of John Mann, Paul Wheatcroft, John Sutton and Lee Davidson final- we are now in the black to the tune of just over 700K. Though the addition of Danny Morgan in a couple weeks will add significantly to our weekly wages, we should still be well under the Board's budgeted amount.

Holyhead Hotspur (3) Vauxhall Motors (0)

We took control of the match early as Neil Teggart delighted The New Oval crowd by scoring a screamer past Saviour Darmanin off a corner from MOM Carl Murkin at 6 minutes for his 1st goal here. We added to that margin when Soloman Henry's pinpoint cross allowed Paul Jenkin to score his 1st goal as he whipped his shot inside the left post. We had a few other chances in the first half, but were content with our lead. We opened the second half more conservatively and kept tight clamps on the visitors throughout the match. Teggart struck for his brace in second half injury time as a beatiful pass from Jenkin set him up to blast one past Darmanin from just inside the edge of the area. The win cost us Mark Studley for the next couple months as he suffered fractured ribs early on in the match.

Nuneaton (0) Holyhead Hotspur (3)

Another match where we proved if we could finish, we could win. Both sides had good chances throughout the match, but we did a much better job around their goal and all three of our goals were the result of beautiful passing combinations. Our first goal came when Stewart Morris whipped a long cross to Jason Osborne on the far side of the pitch. Osborne sent a well-timed pass that found James Pike as he scooted free of his marker. Pike finished well after a quick move with the ball to give us the halftime lead. Nuneaton threatened to equalize early in the second half, but Adrian Bristow cleared a ball off the line and Paul Nicholls tipped an Richard Harris header over the bar. John Connors came on for a tiring Ben Woods and made an immediate impact. Connors found space and MOM Andy McGregor slipped him the ball. Connors put his shot away past Danny Knowles inside the right upright. Pike then clinched the match for us when Jamie Horsley's long, curling pass put him away cleanly and he smashed a shot past Knowles for a brace in finishing off the 3-0 win.

Hednesford (1) Holyhead Hotspur (1)

If we had finished as well in this match as our one against Nuneaton- we would have won. Instead we had to fight back in the second half to earn a 1-1 draw at Keys Park. Their goal came later in the first half when our backline got caught scrambling and out of position. That allowed Robert Heath to slip into the area unmarked and he put his shot away past Stuart Cain. It was disappointing going to half behind, because otherwise we had dominated the first half. We kept working in the second half and our efforts finally paid off when MOM Andy McGregor took a pass from Lloyd McGowan and snapped a shot past Craig Parry. We had good chances to win the match, but just were a little bit off on our execution and had to settle for splitting the points.

Stalybridge (0) Holyhead Hotspur (0)

We were fortunate to take points away from this match. Stuart Cain came up with several impressive saves as he kept us from falling behind in the match. Offensively, we did manage a few chances but for the most part we were outplayed in the match. This second long challenging stretch of our schedule- 4 away matches in a row in a ten-day period will finally end with our next match at Leigh RMI on Saturday- seems to have us a bit worn out, despite my efforts to rotate players to keep us fresh. Stalybridge defender Mark Haran earned MOM honours in the match.

Leigh RMI (0) Holyhead Hotspur (4)

We finished off our extended time on the road in fine fashion as we played a superb second half in dumping Leigh RMI 4-0 at Hilton Park. The first half was closely played, but the lead was ours at halftime thanks to Christopher Gilligan dumping a pass over their backline. Neil Teggart outraced Mark Drew for the ball and then fired a shot past James Mann. We built the lead to 2-0 when Stewart Woods showed exquisite timing as he stepped out of a pack on a corner and ripped a volley past Mann for his 1st goal at Holyhead. Leigh's rally attempts were short-circuited when Gavin Lee-Ellison drew a redcard for a professional foul midway through the second half. They couldn't cope with our passing with only 10 men and Drew's desperation tackles caused not one, but two penalty kicks. MOM Carl Murkin converted both of them for the final margin in our 4-0 win. Stuart Cain earned the easy clean sheet.

I signed 19 year old center midfielder Jonathan Waugh to a hot prospect contract. This was Waugh's first professional contract and he will likely remain on the Reserves this season.

Holyhead Hotspur (1) Hyde (2)

We deserved the result we received- our poor defending on set pieces allowed them two goals on headers and we wasted many good scoring chances ourselves. This was especially disappointing as we had gotten off to a flying start when Michael Tuohy scored in the 3rd minute. They equalized when Neil Tolson deflected a corner past Andy Love midway through the first half. We hammered away at Mark Westhead, but missed close more times than I care to remember. We had maintained control of the match in the second half, but they converted a free kick as Chris McDonagh deflected it past Love for what would prove to be the match winner. It was a disappointing result for us.

Another one icon_smile.gif Glad to have you along too icon_smile.gif

Holyhead Hotspur (2) Harrogate (1)

Paul Nicholls return from injury started poorly- as Danny Holland deflected a cross from Jamie Heard past him in the 2nd minute- but he came back to save us in the second half and earned MOM honours as he earned us all three points for the win. We fought back and Ben Woods equalized for us as their Keeper- Michael Price- got caught by Woods dallying with the ball out of the area. Woods took the ball away and slotted home a 30 yard shot to get us even. We took the lead ten minutes later when Aaron Nowacki, making his return from injury, deflected a cross from Christopher Gilligan past Price. We scored on both of the only 2 shots we had in the match. Harrogate dominated the second half, but we managed to scramble a bit on defense- though our backline played poorly- and Nicholls came up with several timely saves to give us an undeserved 2-1 win.

Kettering (0) Holyhead Hotspur (1)

Survival was the name of the game for us in our trip Rockingham Road. We played an indifferent first half, but our hard work on coverage paid off as they only managed a couple shots on goal despite maintaining much more possession than us. We improved our passing and slowed our tempo in the second half, but were having difficulty setting up shots ourselves. Our break finally came midway through the half when Jason Osborne made a move past Liam Nicell into the area. Nicell was forced to take down Osborne and received a yellow card as the Referee awarded the penalty. Carl Murkin converted his 5th penalty kick of the season for his 5th goal in what was the only goal of the match. When James Pike, who had come on for Paul Jenkin, was forced to leave with injury, we were left with 10 men for the last portion of the match. MOM Rob Walker came up with timely tackles and helped Paul Nicholls. Nicholls came up with a saving stop on Andrew Windross in injury time to keep the clean sheet and earn us three points.

We signed a pair of 18 year old forwards to their first professional contracts as I tried to continue dressing out our Reserve side. Nathan Geary and Richard McCabe were both liked very well by our scouts and at least have the potential for helping us in the future.

Holyhead Hotspur (3) Worcester (1)

We made a quick start pay off in a win this time as we had all of our goals in the first 20 minutes of play. Danny Morgan celebrated his 1st goal for us as we were off on a flyer when he put the rebound of Ben Woods' shot back past keeper Danny McDonnell. We moved up 2-0 shortly after that as Jamie Ougham's short cross was perfect for Woods to deflect inside the near right upright. After Samuel Okikiolu knocked down Aaron Nowacki in the area, MOM Carl Murkin converted the penalty kick to put us ahead 3-0. Worcester showed a little life as Adam Webster danced past Ian Burns' attempted tackle and ruined Paul Nicholls clean sheet with his 5th goal of the season. That was all the scoring for either side as we clamped down defensively in the second half to help Nicholls preserve the win.

Droylsden (0) Holyhead Hotspur (2)

It was a hard working effort on the part of the boys as we earned another road win at Butcher Arms Grounds. We took the lead in the 4th minute when Jamie Ougham's simple cross was volleyed past Paul Phillips by Ben Woods. We controlled much of the flow of play, but they weren't yielding any good scoring chances for us and we settled for the 1-0 halftime lead. Early in the second half, Dean Morgan slipped a pass across the area and Andy McGregor put it away past Phillips to stake us to a 2-0 lead. With Paul Nicholls help in goal, we kept that lead until the final whistle. Stewart Woods earned MOM honours for his play from rightback for us.

Holyhead Hotspur (4) Workington (0)

The catalyst for our impressive home win over Workington was Neil Teggart, who appropriately earned MOM honours in the match. Teggart had a part in all four goals and came very close to notching a hat-trick in the match. The first goal came early and was purely due to the hard work of Teggart. He bulled past two defenders and then smashed a shot that was slightly deflected by Ryan Lewis- enough to throw off Adam Collin as it slipped inside the right post. Teggart had his brace by the 10 minute mark as Rob Walker sent a through ball to him up the pitch and he finished well from the right side of the goal. Collin made a brilliant save on Teggart to deny him on a similar chance later in the half, but Tom Byrne finished off the play by scoring on the rebound to give us a 3-0 halftime margin. We added one last goal in the second half when David Lynn tripped Teggart in the area and Craig Mitchell converted the penalty kick for his 1st goal- as Carl Murkin wasn't playing to take the penalty. We helped Stuart Cain earn a fairly easy clean sheet in the match.

Northwich (0) Holyhead Hotspur (1)

We badly outclassed home side Northwich, but it was only Danny Morgan that allowed us to actually earn the win from the match. Northwich managed only 2 shots the entire match, but played solidly in front of steady keeping by Ben Connett. Morgan upset their plans with a beautiful chip over Connett in first half injury time. That was enough as we maintained control the entire second half in closing out the clean sheet for Paul Nicholls. Christopher Gilligan earned MOM honours.

Another promising left footed forward drew my scouts' attention, and in turn- mine. We signed 23 year old Steve McDonald quickly as I continue to add any impressive left footed forwards we find. We have an overload of forwards on the Senior side, but it is something I can sort out in the summer.

Holyhead Hotspur (2) Worksop (0)

It took a lot of work to earn this win, but our determined efforts paid off as Ben Woods proved again what a dangerous forward he is. We had trouble getting untracked against them as they were also offering a good defensive effort. We made a poor throw-in by Worksop's Adam Oldham work in our favor as a quick cross that Craig Mitchell was able to head down for Woods was perfectly placed for him to whip a shot inside the right post for his 15th goal of the season. Worksop moved more aggressively offensively as they sought to equalize. Our backline played a solid match and Paul Nicholls earned his clean sheet with a diving stop on dangerous Lee Morris. The second half was entertaining with plenty of attacks, but both backlines were standing up to the challenge. We finally clinched the match when Karl Vernon lofted a cross into the middle and Woods headed it past Adam Sollitt for his brace to cap our 2-0 win and earn himself MOM honours.

I had been working to add good youngsters to the club, but signing Gary Fitzgerald is an exception to that approach. Fitzgerald is a 29 year old center defender with the leadership skills I had been looking for. I wanted another center defender and was hoping to get a player like him. Fitzgerald had been released by Watford and was happy to finally get a new club. I am not sure how our 5-man rotation will work out, but we now have the depth to accomodate the dreaded injuries.

Moor Green (2) Holyhead Hotspur (3)

I feel like we triumphed over the Referee in this match as we fought back from trailing 1-0 to gain a 3-1 first half lead before having to hold on for dear life as the Ref tossed flags. Paul Kitson shook loose from our coverage to snap a shot past Paul Nicholls to gain the home side the lead. We answered when MOM Neil Teggart flicked a shot past James Coates after a good pass from Danny Morgan. Morgan then gave us the lead when he ran down a terrible backpass by John Snape and fired a rocket past Coates. We moved ahead 3-1 when Teggart's header turned into an own-goal by Guy Sanders. Moor Green got hope when the Referee made a dubious penalty call on Rob Walker and Ben Petty converted the penalty kick past Nicholls. We seemed blizzarded by yellow cards in the second half, but kept playing steady defense. It all looked for naught when the Ref handed them a second dubious penalty late in the second half, but Nicholls came up with a huge save on Petty and we managed to hang on for the 3-2 win.

Conference North- 32 played 10 remaining

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

1- Holyhead Hotspur 70 pts (+48)

2- Stafford 64 pts (+22)

3- Alfreton 59 pts (+16)

4- Hinckley 58 pts (+20)

5- Leigh RMI 55 pts (+8)

6- Vauxhall Motors 54 pts (+12)

7- Northwich 49 pts (-1)

</pre>

Holyhead Hotspur (3) Barrow (0)

This match was much closer than the score shows. We won out thanks to another fine performance from Ben Woods, who earned MOM honours, and steady play from our backline. The match featured the debuts of Steve McDonald and Gary Fitzgerald who both did fine. Woods individual effort earned us the 1-0 halftime lead as he skinned Jonathan Smith and then took the ball past David Hook before loosing it inside the right post. As both clubs battled for the key 2nd goal, Jamie Ougham flipped a looping pass up the pitch. Andy McGregor picked it up and raced ahead of the backline as he scored his 5th goal of the season. Woods added further injury as he took a goal kick from Andy Love and motored up the pitch to make it a brace. We then helped Love close out his clean sheet. Stafford lost at home 4-1 to Hinckley as we moved 9 points clear of them in 1st place.

Hinckley (0) Holyhead Hotspur (4)

One of our finest matches of the season, without a doubt. It was a tough first half as both sides were tackling well and starting quick counter-attacks. We had the best chances, but twice Ben Woods was stopped when away free by Adrien DiGregorio. Late in the half we had another chance and a Christopher Gilligan pass towards Woods was deflected by Carl Heeley toward the far post. Andy McGregor's quickness and determination paid off as he reached the ball and pushed it inside the post to give us a 1-0 halftime lead. The second half was all ours as our offense really moved into high gear. MOM Stewart Morris sent a pretty cross that Woods was able to flick past DiGregorio. Christopher Gilligan coasted in on the far side of the play and Soloman Henry's pass across the area to him left him an easy put away for his 1st goal. DiGregorio handed us our last goal when he came out of his area to play the ball and then missed it. Jamie Horsley took advantage by launching the loose ball in for his 1st goal to cap the impressive 4-0 win. Stafford remained 9 points adrift with a 1-0 win over struggling Gainsborough, while Hinckley's loss was a serious setback in their attempt to overtake Stafford.

It's always nice to see your name in the paper- especially when announcing a new contract..

Raven Treader Signs New 4-Year Deal at Holyhead Hotspur

Archived