Imagine my surprise, game ruined by DRM!

Thank the pirates.

Sorry it was not the pirates it was the company who decided to not follow BASIC rules in designing a protection system.

SI today learned a very HARD lesson which I HOPE will be LEARNED for FM10. There is nothing fundermentally wrong with ACTIVATION SYSTEM's.

I dont blame SI and miles must be after someones blood.

I said in another thread when I heared it was retro style booklet based I feared the worst. I dont even blame the publisher of the manual.

The blame squarely on LAZY programming techniques of the activasion system to not even adhere to basic stuff you learn at college and Uni about activation systems.

1 you make it idiot proof. No this not a slant on those who struggling its a term used to make it simple and less chance to get it wrong. That means you omit likekly confusion combinations 13 which could be deemed B. 0 or 0 1 or I. Its basic practice.

The only time it can be ignored if the HUMAN is removed from the activation its done electronically and No interaction or its a cut and paste system so mistakes cant happen. You know the email to your computer with the code and just copy it to the activation page.

2 Another think KEEP IT SIMPLE why is there 3 methods which need user interaction to choose. It will cause confusion. Sorry to say this but Boxed version really dont need STEAM. The whole system really neaded for it to do a check if STEAM was present then ask user if wishes steam activation. Those without or those who wish not to just carry to online. A further check could see if the comp was online if not OPTION to re-install and switch on the internet or CALL a PHONE to activate or HELP desk.

This way it limits possible mistakes.

In my opinion the ACTIVATION should have had little as possible HUMAN activity. The code should be deep routed into the DISK or even hidden in the game EXE or both. With an emergency backup on the manual for those who are not internet BASED.

The activaston should gone to the web it then either could popped up with a code you put in your self copy and paste or done it Automatic.

No or minimal user activity which had little or no chance to get the code WRONG.

I hope lessons have been learned for future incarnations.

I have no problem with SI or Miles or anyone else,. I am just someone who used to go to the shops and play the game, I wouldn't dream of buying or making a pirated copy.

My problem is that I have the day off, have waited for months for the game, and because of the prats who have to pirate the game, I can't play it.

ok, to avoid confusion here is my situation:

1. Bought a boxed copy

2. Installed it

3. got the Soft Anchor page asking for product key

4. I am told this is incorrect when I press paste

5. I have two options - Online Activation or Phone activation

6. I have tried phone twice, and each time after 5 minutes it says that my key is invalid

7. I have put the key into the SI gnerator thing, and that key don't work either

8. My laptop (bought especially for FM09) is NOT online, I am at my mother's house using hers

9. QUESTION:

Is there somewhere online I can go (not on my laptop of course which has the game installed on it) to activate the game as the phone option DOES NOT WORK.

10. Is it really the case that if you aren't downloading the game, or if the computer that the game is on is not online, you CANNOT PLAY IT?

PLease some one stop me from kicking the cat really hard

Trying to answer as many of ur questions as I can so here goes....

Your MAIN problem appears to be that the laptop you have installed the game on is NOT ONLINE.

This means your ONLY choice of activation method is by phone!!!!

Not surprisingly the phone lines are pretty busy this morning, approx 12hours after game release.

9) NO, there is nowhere online you can go (not on your laptop of course which has the game installed on it) to activate the game.

10) As above, repeat 'Your MAIN problem appears to be that the laptop you have installed the game on is NOT ONLINE.

Re: the codes.....The 0,O,1,I issue is a shambles to be honest. I try not to be too critical of SI but can't really defend them on this one. At least the link posted further up where you type your code in was up pretty quickly and seems to be sorting most ppl's problem.

Miles seems to have noticed your problem though, so hopefully someone at SI should get you up and running soon.

Do you think EA would do the same?

I have no problem with SI or Miles or anyone else,. I am just someone who used to go to the shops and play the game, I wouldn't dream of buying or making a pirated copy.

My problem is that I have the day off, have waited for months for the game, and because of the prats who have to pirate the game, I can't play it.

No one in your area with open wifi?

Trying to answer as many of ur questions as I can so here goes....

Your MAIN problem appears to be that the laptop you have installed the game on is NOT ONLINE.

This means your ONLY choice of activation method is by phone!!!!

Not surprisingly the phone lines are pretty busy this morning, approx 12hours after game release.

9) NO, there is nowhere online you can go (not on your laptop of course which has the game installed on it) to activate the game.

10) As above, repeat 'Your MAIN problem appears to be that the laptop you have installed the game on is NOT ONLINE.

Re: the codes.....The 0,O,1,I issue is a shambles to be honest. I try not to be too critical of SI but can't really defend them on this one. At least the link posted further up where you type your code in was up pretty quickly and seems to be sorting most ppl's problem.

Miles seems to have noticed your problem though, so hopefully someone at SI should get you up and running soon.

Do you think EA would do the same?

Thanks as well for your time.

The phone activation worked twice, until it said my key code was wrong. I have put it into the SI key code generator thing and that one is wrong too!

Hi,

I have just got the 'new' code back. I typed it in as it said (remeber, I got the code from my Mums PC and have to type it into my offline laptop.)

I pressed paste once I had entered it and it said that I attempted to enter an invalid product key. Does me pressing paste check if it is correct?

When I get the correct key, I can try on the phone............again!

I can't remember myself (even though I only did it 30 minutes ago!), but isn't there an OK button or something to push instead of paste?

Oh, if you're typing it into your offline laptop then it won't be able to check it's correct.

I can only suggest trying by phone again or getting hold of a wire to connect the modem to your laptop. Are you sure there isn't one there? If there's a modem and a router there (not sure if there is...) then there should be a wire to connect them?

I have just activated the game via Steam - what now? How do I get it onto my laptop?

I've been following this thread for a wee while now and I'm getting the distinct impression that you are being deliberately awkward.

The PC you have installed the game on is not online so I REPEAT your ONLY method of activation is by phone!!!!!!

The PC at your mums, which is wireless and she can't remember the password for, must have a cable connecting the modem/router to the pc/phone....ffs use it!!!!

Why are you now on STEAM on a pc that does not have the game installed on it?

People have tried to help you, maybe you need to start helping urself?

Ok i'm having a similar problem, think i have fixed it all but i just wanna ask a quick question to make sure, if i put the activation code in on this laptop, i know it means i can use it on this laptop, but if i wanna put the game onto another pc which doesn't have any internet access, does that mean i will need to ring up and activate the game again for that PC, via phone this time?

Archived