Team/individual pressing

If you set team pressing at 'standard', most individual roles can be set to maximum 'more urgent', the exception being the BWM and PF which are already locked at maximum.

If you set team pressing at 'more urgent', most individuals roles are already locked at maximum, with the exception of CB/FBs which can be set to maximum 'more urgent' (i.e. more urgent than more urgent).

Does this mean that team pressing at 'extremely urgent' only affects CBs/FBs?

35 minutes ago, Ein said:

Does this mean that team pressing at 'extremely urgent' only affects CBs/FBs?

No.  It means the UI is confusing.

Pressing is finite.  There is only so much that can be set.  It's a cumulation of Mentality, TIs and PIs.  Mentality is your starting point, so if you start with Cautious you'll be starting with less Pressing than if you set Positive for example.

Now layer on the Team Instruction to that starting point.  Simplistically speaking, add More Pressing to the Cautious mentality and you'll get roughly the same amount of Pressing as if you used the Balanced mentality as your starting point.  Add Much More Pressing to the Cautious mentality and you'll get roughly the same amount of Pressing as if you used the Positive mentality.  And so on, you get the picture.

Now layer on the Player Instructions.  Different roles have different amounts of Pressing built into them, so expect a BWM to press more than a Trequartista for example.  Because of that - and the Mentality / TI used - certain roles can reach their maximum amount of Pressing very quickly.  So even a role which does not have a Press More PI set by default can reach it's maximum amount of Pressing allowed from just your Mentality and TI settings.

So to answer this question above - no, team pressing at "extremely urgent" does not necessarily only affect CBs/FBs as it depends on the rest of your tactical instructions and roles used.

Basically, if you can't increase Pressing further by using a PI then you've reached the max amount of pressing for that role.  And if the role (confusingly) says "Less Urgent" as well as being maxed out on Pressing when you look at it's PIs, it means relatively speaking.  So (off the top of my head and hopefully this isn't a bad example) a TQ may say "Less Urgent" with a maxed out bar for Pressing, but it just means that role has reached it's max Pressing very quickly (the green bar) but it still isn't that much (ie., "Less Urgent").

Honestly the whole UI thing is confusing here and it's been flagged to SI.

19 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Basically, if you can't increase Pressing further by using a PI then you've reached the max amount of pressing for that role.

Yes but that's exactly my question.

Most roles' pressing is already maxed out by having team pressing set to 'more urgent' (with the exception of defenders) so 'extremely urgent' team pressing seems to be superfluous for all roles bar defenders.

I'm aware of the UI issues (e.g. roles showing as 'less urgent' on TI extremely urgent) but I'm talking about a different matter here.

Archived