Reminder heads-up about Qatar 2022 fixture disruption?

Rayista Geoff

This is a really minor thing, but I spent about 15 minutes putting together a bug report about how my league and Champions League fixtures were screwed up, because I had only one fixture in November and none in December, my last Champions League group fixture was January 3, and the order of fixtures in the Champions League was really weird.  I played Barcelona twice in September (8 days apart), then Feyenoord, then Schalke home and away, and then Feyenoord in January.

I was just about to post it, and I suddenly went "Oh wait, this is the end of 2022 isn't it?  This must be about the World Cup in Qatar".  I do remember getting a news item like back in 2020 saying that it had been moved to the winter, but I'd forgotten all about it.  (I assume the weird CL fixture order was because of German and Spanish winter breaks?  So the normal A-B-C-C-A-B order would mean that I'd be playing Schalke in January, which was impossible?)

Maybe you could add something as a reminder a little closer to the time?  Perhaps the news item when the fixture list for 2022-23 comes out could mention that because of the Qatari World Cup, there would be no league fixtures scheduled between November whatever and December whatever.  And maybe the same for the news item when the Champions League/Europa League fixtures come out?  (Unless you do this already and I missed it, which would be really embarrassing.  :))

Archived