The relationship between Team and Player Instructions

This question might sound really odd, and as english is not my first language I do apologize if something is unclear. So my question is about the "relationship" between Player prefered moves, player instructions and team instructions. Let me give you an example. 

With a standard mentality, you have five options when it comes to "Passing Directness". So let's put Team Passing Directness (TPD) on a 1-5 scale:

TPD.png.b1a10bb812122f70f27d1f47dfe7a5a1.png

With the TPD on "Much Shorter", the player is set to PD.png.9e5ced83d1ab9fb2c6056e20739942f6.png with the option of telling an individual player to go more direct.

With the TPD on "Shorter", you get the same options. PD.png.9e5ced83d1ab9fb2c6056e20739942f6.png If you click on "Shorter passing" it will give a player the PI of Pass it Shorter. Now does that mean the whole team will pass it shorter but that individual player will pass it much shorter? 

With the TPD on "Standard", you get three options for your player: "shorter", "standard" or "more direct" PD2.png.50a74b06e6122a178b8f2b32a2b795b0.png

Oddly enough, if you tell the team to go "Slightly More Direct", you're left with the same options as before: "shorter" or "standard". PD.png.9e5ced83d1ab9fb2c6056e20739942f6.png This means you can't tell a player to go more direct, even though there is another notch on the TPD scale. So what happens if you set the TPD to Standard, give a player the "More direct" instruction and then change the TPD to "Slightly more direct". Will that player pass it slightly more direct like the team or much more direct because of his player instruction? 

When you instruct your player to play ''More direct'' you are actually instructing him to play more direct than the rest of your team. The player will still play more direct when you change the team instructions. So when you are changing your team instructions to play ''slightly more direct'' your player will play balls more direct or much more direct. 

I hope this answer is clear. English isn't my first language either.

10 minutes ago, jjjkkk said:

When you instruct your player to play ''More direct'' you are actually instructing him to play more direct than the rest of your team. The player will still play more direct when you change the team instructions. So when you are changing your team instructions to play ''slightly more direct'' your player will play balls more direct or much more direct. 

I hope this answer is clear. English isn't my first language either.

But if you change the TPD to "slightly more direct", you don't have the option to tell an individual player to go more direct. You can only do that while on "Standard" TPD. Hence my confusion. 

There is a limit to how direct (or short) a player can be with his passing.  That limit is a combination of both team and player instructions.

So in your example:

1 hour ago, Fribbe said:

if you tell the team to go "Slightly More Direct", you're left with the same options as before: "shorter" or "standard". PD.png.9e5ced83d1ab9fb2c6056e20739942f6.png This means you can't tell a player to go more direct, even though there is another notch on the TPD scale.

You have told the team to be slightly more direct.  So now for this particular player role you are unable to tell that individual player to be even more direct because you have already achieved the maximum possible directness for that player by using the team instruction only.  You can only tell him to go shorter or standard.

So in the previous example:

1 hour ago, Fribbe said:

With the TPD on "Standard", you get three options for your player: "shorter", "standard" or "more direct" PD2.png.50a74b06e6122a178b8f2b32a2b795b0.png

You have left the Team Instruction to "standard", therefore you are now able to increase this player's individual directness to be "more direct".

In very basic terms and using these 2 specific examples,  lets say the maximum directness you can set is 3.  In example 1. you have used the TI to set "3" directness.  Therefore as 3 is the maximum you cannot increase it further using the PI.

But in example 2, you have used the TI to set directness as "2".  Therefore you can now use the PI for the individual player to increase this further to the maximum of "3".

That's overly simplified but hopefully you get the idea.

2 hours ago, herne79 said:

There is a limit to how direct (or short) a player can be with his passing.  That limit is a combination of both team and player instructions.

So in your example:

You have told the team to be slightly more direct.  So now for this particular player role you are unable to tell that individual player to be even more direct because you have already achieved the maximum possible directness for that player by using the team instruction only.  You can only tell him to go shorter or standard.

In very basic terms and using these 2 specific examples,  lets say the maximum directness you can set is 3.  In example 1. you have used the TI to set "3" directness.  Therefore as 3 is the maximum you cannot increase it further using the PI.

So if the team passing directness is standard and I tell a player to go more direct (add the PI "more direct passes) and then bump up the TPD to slightly more direct (not maxed out in TI), will that player play slightly more direct or much more direct? 

Archived