Lennons 4-3-2-1 (only one defeat in over 30 games - Sunderland)

Playing with Sunderland in Division One...

After 26 League Games only one defeat.

Carabao Cup - knocked out Aston Villa and Swansea before being knocked out away to Chelsea in the Qtr Final (winning 1-0 until the 87th minute, knocked out by penalties).

FA Cup - Got through to the 3rd round then got a home tie against rivals Newcastle, was the better team and lead 1-0 most of the game. Finished 1-1.

FORMATION - Looks like a Christmas Tree.

The full backs are amazing if you get decent players they will always get into the opposition penalty box.

Because it uses 2 Box to Box Midfielders you get players back defensively and forward offensively.

At the start of the season i added 'Get stuck in' but as you start winning games and moral is high i removed that.

Keep an eye on energy levels and always try to have players on the bench who can replace them.

IMPORTANT PLEASE NOTE...

OPPOSITION INSTRUCTIONS - I have that set to me and i don't do any, don't set it to your Assistant.

AUTO PICK (Team Selection) - I chose auto pick BUT i then check the team. The amount of times they will select an Attacking Midfielder for the Defensive midfielder role is unreal. 

I never listen to in game advice, it is to conflicting... we need to play a shorter passing THEN we need to hit more long balls. IGNORE THEM!

MENTALITY

In Division One with Sunderland i have found Balanced or Positive have worked most, The in game advice is usually a good way to start. Don't start with Attacking, i find it is broke. I only change to Attacking if i need a goal or i am winning easy. Cautious works fine. But i do like to change it about. Against some teams you can start with Positive and just leave it the full game. Harder games it is best to alter it. Away to Chelsea i started on Defensive and switched between Balanced and Cautious and switched back to Defensive once we got the goal. It unsettles them. 

If a player is red carded remove the middle midfield player and it does not effect the tactic too much. 

THE STRIKER

I got Alexander Sorloth on loan and i noticed that Target Man was his best role so i went with that. 22 goals from 20 League games speaks for itself. When he has been injured i have used other players but i change to THEIR strength (IE Advanced Forward) and it worked. But as the TM has been amazing as lots of crosses go in i have stayed with that whenever he is fit. 

LENNONS

Homev4.fmf

Tactic.jpg

table.jpg

vnewc.jpg

unbeat.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Although i found that tactic will work over a season i believe it is not best to use the same tactic both home and away throughout the season.

So i made a slightly different version.

I use one for all HOME games with the other for all AWAY games. You just alter the MENTALITY depending on who you are playing against.

Homev4.2.fmf

Awayv4.fmf

Started a new Career with Alfreton to see how it will work at the lower levels...

Signed 8 players on Free Transfer just to give me options. 

You must have decent fullbacks and have cover. (Nothing outstanding, just decent)

Have players who can play in the AM position. Alfreton were lacking so a couple of free transfers did the job.

alf.png

I find that a players Condition AND sharpness play a big role.

I mostly select players that are 90% fit or above.

Sharpness can be difficult because you have to be playing regularly to keep it up.

You can play one or two players with less Sharpness but not to many.

In Cup games or against weaker opposition i have tried going full rotation to give other players a chance but it does not work.

Hi Andy, I must say that I am really struggling to get this tactic going. I like a nice, solid tactic (not a diablo) that I can build with. I used one of your tactics a few years back and loved it (can't remember the name). All was going okay, was in 11th with Cardiff in first season, a real mix of results, but then...

43C92041AB597F33645D2D1404812E820C1F874D (1920Ã1017)

I've been sticking with cautious as standard, but still find I concede a lot of breakaway goals. 

Any suggestions? I don't mind struggling a little, as long as I have faith in the tactic that when I get the right people in, it'll start to turn around.

Thanks. Merry Christmas by the way.

I think in this edition of FM it is harder to overachieve in the long term.

You have to be realistic with your targets. 
I got Alfreton promoted at first attempt but i don't think it is possible to go through consecutive promotions.

If the boards targets are to Battle bravely against Relegation then you should not expect another promotion.

Another thing i have noticed is that once you bring several new players in the old players have a bad influence in the dressing room if you can't move them on.

try going Defensive more to grind results out. Keep morale up and you should pass your boards expectations.

I am using Alreton as a stepping stone as in real management. Instead of trying to go through the divisions with one team, i am starting to get job offers so i will use that to step up.

3 hours ago, andysafc said:

I think in this edition of FM it is harder to overachieve in the long term.

You have to be realistic with your targets. 
I got Alfreton promoted at first attempt but i don't think it is possible to go through consecutive promotions.

If the boards targets are to Battle bravely against Relegation then you should not expect another promotion.

Another thing i have noticed is that once you bring several new players in the old players have a bad influence in the dressing room if you can't move them on.

try going Defensive more to grind results out. Keep morale up and you should pass your boards expectations.

I am using Alreton as a stepping stone as in real management. Instead of trying to go through the divisions with one team, i am starting to get job offers so i will use that to step up.

Many thanks for the response. I'm not too downhearted. I prefer a tactic that is more realistic in terms of results. So, as I understand it, what you've been doing is the 4-3-1-2 Balanced at home and the 4-3-2-1 Cautious away. I'm happy to plug on doing that. Even though I'm on  bad run, the scores have been very close. Plus, my morale is bad at the moment; had a falling out with a couple of players and have just brought in about five new ones in Jan. Thanks again, I'll keep you posted.

Don't just stay with the same Mentality for the full game. If you are on Cautious, watch how the stats are going...

if you are getting more shots than the opposition, step up to Balanced.

if you are getting less shots step down to defensive.

This version does not like you staying the same as you become to predictable. Simply changes can make a difference.

Instead of expecting to go through the divisions with one team now you have to do it as a real manager would and work tour way up.

I started in the Vanarama Noth League with Alfreton. Finished 1st and promoted. 

I was well above the relegation zone but clearly for the players i had this is the best i could do, so i accepted the job at Boreham Wood in the Vanarama National.

At the time Alfreton were in a good position and Boreham Wood were struggling at 2nd bottom, but the way i saw it was Boreham Wood had players suited to this league whereas with Alfreton i was already over achieving. Alfreton ended up being Relegated and Boreham Wood moved to a comfortable League postion and reached the Final of the FA Trophy.

The following season Boreham pushed on and were challenging for promotion when on offer came from Division 2 Crawley. 

Crawley are near the bottom but i believe i can get them challenging for promotion.

So in three season i have moved from Vanarama North to Vamarama National to Division 2. That is 3 promotions in terms of my managers profile in 3 seasons.

I took Crawley up through the play offs and although we struggled near the bottom they wanted me to stay, but once once an offer came in from Burton i decided to move on and continue climbing the ladder. Burton are at the bottom but i will get them safe then push for promotion to the Championship. Once i get them there i will look for a Championship team to get to the Premier and i have gone from the Vanarama North to the Premier.

Now onto to Hull City. 

At Burton in the Championship i was around mid table to just outside the play offs. But i knew i was pushing my luck.

At Hull they are 21st but i believe they will have better quality players to move up this division.

Archived