FM19 - The Head Coach (The Journeyman with a twist)

coady

We're back from our winter break tomorrow at 4.30pm & it'll be New Years Day in game. We'll be showing you match action from our new club for the first time, as well as meeting our new DoF, senior affiliate & discussing our wishes for the January transfer window!

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're back with Season 4 Episode 6 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! 

We've got our feet under the carpet in our first professional job at Stevenage, so it's time to show you some EFL action on the pitch. The January transfer window is also here & we meet our new DoF!

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday at the same time. There's also a new video from FIFA 19 Career Mode every Friday. 

Thanks for watching!

You're far closer to the play-offs than to the relegation zone - that Yeovil fixture could be important. In fact, if you gets those 2 scouser kids in, you could put in a challenge for automatic promotion, I reckon.

It might be my imagination, but it feels like the general quality of this full-time outfit is considerably higher than the part-time clubs you've had (certainly light-years ahead of my part-time village idiots). Talking of which, have you got to grips with full-time training schedules? Perhaps you could say something about the differences between training for a part-time and full-time club.

10 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

You're far closer to the play-offs than to the relegation zone - that Yeovil fixture could be important. In fact, if you gets those 2 scouser kids in, you could put in a challenge for automatic promotion, I reckon.

It might be my imagination, but it feels like the general quality of this full-time outfit is considerably higher than the part-time clubs you've had (certainly light-years ahead of my part-time village idiots). Talking of which, have you got to grips with full-time training schedules? Perhaps you could say something about the differences between training for a part-time and full-time club.

I'm surprised at how good they are, it's easy to see why they were predicted top half at the start of the season! 

The full-time training makes a huge difference. I'd argue it's been the biggest reason for our success with Torquay in comparison to this save so far. Thankfully, I've not had to do quite as much at this club, as Paul Jewell's training suggestions are sensible & fairly similar to what I'd do anyway. 

If our youth intake is good, we'll certainly do something around training for that. Fingers crossed there's something to shout about in the intake! 

We're back to our normal schedule from tomorrow following the festive period. We're relying on our new Director of Football, Danny Collins, for entertainment too. I'll be watching along with you as we wait for him to wheel & deal on transfer deadline day... hopefully he won't disappoint! We'll also face playoff chasers Yeovil Town, as we look to continue our climb away from trouble to where this squad belongs!

Welcome to Season 4 Episode 7 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status!

It's transfer deadline day & we're relying on our DoF to provide the entertainment at Stevenage! We then face playoff chasing Yeovil Town FC!

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday at the same time. There's also a new video from FIFA 19 Career Mode every Friday. 

Thanks for watching, it's greatly appreciated!

Welcome to Season 4 Episode 8 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status!

It's youth intake day at Stevenage and we're hoping for a golden generation. We also face top of the table Notts County in a massive episode, as we continue our late playoff push!

Thanks for watching!

It really warms the cockles when you see a match rating and virtually all your players have ratings in the green. Mind you for me that tends to be followed by poor performances.

You got a fickle kid. I just got one. Now I haven't looked at any tables that matches up personality with attribute points so I just go by the FM description and my knowledge of English language. To me, a fickle character is definitely someone I wouldn't want but all I can see against the kid is poor loyalty.  I guess if he turns out to be special he'll bugger off but that would only be after he's benefited us. The way I see it, get good use our of him while nurturing a backup as you plan ahead for the inevitable. In your case you'll leave the club before he does, oh hyper-fickle manager!

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 19:25, DazRTaylor said:

Booo you are getting attached to Stevenage.

I hope they get taken over, sack you for no reason (and you get a plum job straight afterwards)

Haha, I'm using them as a springboard. Hopefully I'll do well, leave as soon as I see a bigger opportunity and not follow them again. I'm loving the squad I'm managing, but my feelings towards the club haven't changed! :lol:

On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 05:44, phnompenhandy said:

It really warms the cockles when you see a match rating and virtually all your players have ratings in the green. Mind you for me that tends to be followed by poor performances.

You got a fickle kid. I just got one. Now I haven't looked at any tables that matches up personality with attribute points so I just go by the FM description and my knowledge of English language. To me, a fickle character is definitely someone I wouldn't want but all I can see against the kid is poor loyalty.  I guess if he turns out to be special he'll bugger off but that would only be after he's benefited us. The way I see it, get good use our of him while nurturing a backup as you plan ahead for the inevitable. In your case you'll leave the club before he does, oh hyper-fickle manager!

I think I'll be more fickle than any of the players, as soon as bigger interest or opportunities come I'm off. As a result, I haven't really got a leg to stand on when it comes to loyalty in this series!

Welcome to Season 4 Episode 9 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! It's time for the final 2 games of the season against promotion contenders Forest Green & Chesterfield. Can we secure a dramatic playoff place?

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 4 Episode 10 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Today we play both legs of our playoff semi final against Forest Green! Can we make it to the Wembley final?

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 4 Episode 11 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! It's time for the playoff final live from Wembley, can we complete the most unlikely of promotion stories against Rochdale?

Thanks for watching!

7 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Thrills and spills! What was the attendance at Wembley? Looked pretty full. 'Ow much money you get??

The attendance was a rather unrealistic 51737, with over half in the Stevenage end apparently! The financial struggles haven't really eased at all post match, I presume that will come with increased TV money & sponsorships in League 1.

Welcome to Season 5 Episode 1 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! We start season 5 in financial trouble, with a lack of signings, players & optimism! Can we pull off a massive shock against promotion contenders Rotherham United?

Thanks for watching!

I'm with Daz. I'd be surprised to see you commentating on a Stevenage match in October if you're stuck in the relegation zone through September. Skive the next training session and get down the job centre. Sometimes you've got to take a step back to move forward - if there's a vacancy at a club abroad or in England a level below but is better run, it might be a viable choice.

22 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

What you need to do is tread water until October, when the sacking season starts.  They apply and get another job.

I'm hoping a good job comes up quickly enough, before my stock starts to fall. We need signings quickly if we're going to compete with this club!

13 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

I'm with Daz. I'd be surprised to see you commentating on a Stevenage match in October if you're stuck in the relegation zone through September. Skive the next training session and get down the job centre. Sometimes you've got to take a step back to move forward - if there's a vacancy at a club abroad or in England a level below but is better run, it might be a viable choice.

I've got Paul Jewell, I'm sure he's a better trainer than me anyway! We have to be realistic, if we get a great financial opportunity or better reputation club we'll be off. I'll be looking at the Job Centre weekly!

Welcome to Season 5 Episode 2 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! We finally have some signings giving us a bit of hope, before facing Fulham U23's in the Checkatrade Trophy.

Thanks for watching!

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 11:26, phnompenhandy said:

After losing your opening 3, you're on quite the streak - could be in a play-off place in a couple of weeks. Maybe worth sticking around after all!

You'd think so. However, with only 18 professional players it only takes 2-3 injuries to become a crisis. There's no money, no wage budget & no board ambition, so I think it's certainly more likely we'll leave at any good opportunity!

Welcome to Season 5 Episode 3 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Problems are starting to appear as we head to top of the table Portsmouth in League One. There's also some news from the job centre!

Thanks for watching!

Come on, after you've given up on the club the lads came out and really gave it their all. You gotta feel a bit bad about walking out on them, right?

I'm glad you didn't get the Millwall gig as when I was a teenager I lived in fear of their thugs coming up to Colchester and threatening me. Norwich would be brilliant though, good luck with that.

4 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Come on, after you've given up on the club the lads came out and really gave it their all. You gotta feel a bit bad about walking out on them, right?

I'm glad you didn't get the Millwall gig as when I was a teenager I lived in fear of their thugs coming up to Colchester and threatening me. Norwich would be brilliant though, good luck with that.

Nah, it’s Stevenage.  Norwich here you come!

10 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

They have, but we're starting to get injuries now and there's no wiggle room to get anyone in. The club must be run awfully behind the scenes in game for this to happen after promotion.

My teenage memory of Millwall is being on work experience at Luton Town FC while at school, they played Millwall at home on the Tuesday night & their fans trashed the away end! Norwich on the other hand, is my best FA Cup memory as a Luton fan. Winning away to a PL side when in non-league, it had snowed all weekend and was bloody freezing, but the 1-0 win made it all worthwhile. So I'd love to go to Norwich as a result.

6 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

Nah, it’s Stevenage.  Norwich here you come!

Fingers crossed they offer me the job!

It's with great sadness I can confirm that Norwich City have rejected us for a trendy young Spaniard. :seagull:

We've applied for more jobs, but the Stevenage board are angry. I'm about to attend the ultimatum meeting with the chairman... tomorrow's episode could be interesting!

6 hours ago, coady said:

It's with great sadness I can confirm that Norwich City have rejected us for a trendy young Spaniard. :seagull:

We've applied for more jobs, but the Stevenage board are angry. I'm about to attend the ultimatum meeting with the chairman... tomorrow's episode could be interesting!

Fascinating. Will you let them carpet you, or will you walk with your dignity intact?  :Bowen:

Welcome to Season 5 Episode 4 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Things are going well on the pitch ahead of another League One top of the table clash against Nottingham Forest. However, we're causing controversy in the boardroom and face an ultimatum!

Thanks for watching!

Let's get this right:

If you apply for another job and you don't get it - sacked.

If you accept an interview for another job and don't get it - sacked.

You've already had an interview with Burton and if you don't get it - stay; do get it - gone.

If you stay you're at Stevenage until the end of the season.

There's every chance you'll get promoted with them; the board may or may not invest more money in that eventuality.

Seems to me the no-lose situation is if Burton offers you the job - go. If they don't, suck it up and get Stevenage promoted.

If you take the Burton job you'll probably escape relegation. With slightly better resources than Stevenage, you'll prolly do a better job with

them and get them up next season, so the question there is, how much is their board willing to back you, and do they have a better DoF? (Have you"googled" him yet?)

Given you'll do a decent job with Burton anyway, if the board does turn out to be underwhelming you just look around for another gig again.

14 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Let's get this right:

If you apply for another job and you don't get it - sacked.

If you accept an interview for another job and don't get it - sacked.

You've already had an interview with Burton and if you don't get it - stay; do get it - gone.

If you stay you're at Stevenage until the end of the season.

There's every chance you'll get promoted with them; the board may or may not invest more money in that eventuality.

Seems to me the no-lose situation is if Burton offers you the job - go. If they don't, suck it up and get Stevenage promoted.

If you take the Burton job you'll probably escape relegation. With slightly better resources than Stevenage, you'll prolly do a better job with

them and get them up next season, so the question there is, how much is their board willing to back you, and do they have a better DoF? (Have you"googled" him yet?)

Given you'll do a decent job with Burton anyway, if the board does turn out to be underwhelming you just look around for another gig again.

Well actually, that's not entirely the case. We've found a slight workaround to keep clubs informed:-

If we accept an interview for another job, so long as we haven't applied for it, we're fine.

Rather weirdly, we can still declare interest in jobs with no issues at all.

We picked 2 injuries up within 10minutes of recording that episode, promotion at Stevenage is not an option. (I don't really want to see them in the Championship anyway). I think it would be fair to say almost every club has a better DoF than Danny Collins. In fact, I'd imagine most chairman are better at spotting players than him! Ironically, you're the only person that's told me to take the Burton role if I'm offered it. :lol: Hopefully a Championship team will come in for me & take the decision out of my hands!

Welcome to Season 5 Episode 5 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! We finally have a job offer today, but is it one worth taking? Will I be introducing 'part 1' at a new club in this episode?

Thanks for watching as always!

The Head Coach is back at 4.30pm today with our first game from our brand new club. Find out who it is in the last episode, there were certainly some surprises during our introduction to the squad!

Welcome to Season 5 Episode 6 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! We play our first game with Barnsley FC today against Cardiff City in the EFL Championship. We also meet our staff and look at some off the pitch matters at our new club!

Thanks for watching!

Oof, it's gonna be a challenge staying up.  For a struggling team at this level that Cardiff attack is quick and lethal. The pace and quality of football they play is way higher than anything I'm used to as a LLaMa. Barnsley don't generally turn me on but you got me all fired up and I'm looking forward to seeing how you (a) survive the season and (b) take the team forward.

4 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Oof, it's gonna be a challenge staying up.  For a struggling team at this level that Cardiff attack is quick and lethal. The pace and quality of football they play is way higher than anything I'm used to as a LLaMa. Barnsley don't generally turn me on but you got me all fired up and I'm looking forward to seeing how you (a) survive the season and (b) take the team forward.

It worries me greatly, based on their quality, that Cardiff are in the bottom half! I would say the same but there's nothing better than HG talents that could be the spine of a team for years to come. Staying up this season is the hardest part of the challenge at the club. If we can get over that initial hurdle, things will become enjoyable very quickly here.

Welcome to Season 5 Episode 7 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! We see our first youth intake at Barnsley FC, which could be exciting based on some of the homegrown regens at the club already. We also play a local derby against top of the table Leeds United, as we continue our fight to avoid relegation!

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 5 Episode 8 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Today, we face Millwall FC in the final game of the EFL Championship season. Strangely, we're also at risk of being sacked?

Thanks for watching, it's greatly appreciated!

Disgraceful if you do get sacked. So if the Luton manager's job is insecure but as he's not yet sacked either, can you apply for it? Might push their board to make a change, and you get to jump before you're pushed, going to your club anyway. Players and managers in real life might be 'rational' - i.e. money-driven, but they're fans too and do make decisions influenced by the heart. No lack of realism there.

7 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Disgraceful if you do get sacked. So if the Luton manager's job is insecure but as he's not yet sacked either, can you apply for it? Might push their board to make a change, and you get to jump before you're pushed, going to your club anyway. Players and managers in real life might be 'rational' - i.e. money-driven, but they're fans too and do make decisions influenced by the heart. No lack of realism there.

I agree, I would leave a Championship side IRL to manage Luton in League One, so it would be realistic. However, I'd love to stay at Barnsley with the young core of players they have. Yes it probably would be disgraceful if I get sacked, but you can't argue it wouldn't be realistic in the modern football world.

I won't apply for it unless their manager gets sacked and there are early signs of Barnsley pushing me out. Fingers crossed, they haven't shown... yet! 

Welcome to the first 5 year progress report from this FM19 series, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Today, we look back at all the clubs we've managed in the first 5 years, our progress and the general footballing world.

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 6 Episode 1 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! In this episode, we reflect on a busy summer of work by our DoF, Dougie Freedman, before starting our Championship season at West Brom.

A massive thanks for watching, it's much appreciated!

The ol' slow start to a season - told ya! What's the media's prediction of where you'll finish, by the way?

I perked up at a little throw-away remark you made about those long-range shots appearing since the latest update. In my level 12 pub football save I'm getting done by 30-yard worldies every game. As I've got 'work the ball into the box' I'm not reciprocating, but if you're right, I could game the ME by having my 'long shots 1' players have a go. I won't though, it's not in the spirit of how I play.

Anyway, I expect WBA to be up there challenging for automatic promotion and in the long run you won't see that as such a bad performance. Once your boys gel you should be beating the sides expected to finish below you, so you'll be fine and happier soon enough.

16 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

The ol' slow start to a season - told ya! What's the media's prediction of where you'll finish, by the way?

I perked up at a little throw-away remark you made about those long-range shots appearing since the latest update. In my level 12 pub football save I'm getting done by 30-yard worldies every game. As I've got 'work the ball into the box' I'm not reciprocating, but if you're right, I could game the ME by having my 'long shots 1' players have a go. I won't though, it's not in the spirit of how I play.

Anyway, I expect WBA to be up there challenging for automatic promotion and in the long run you won't see that as such a bad performance. Once your boys gel you should be beating the sides expected to finish below you, so you'll be fine and happier soon enough.

The media prediction was 19th, but I don't normally look until after the transfer window closes. I don't think I expected any other result, but the performance was extremely alarming! The long shots are definitely an issue, I've had to switch to pressing to try and reduce the number of efforts against me.

I'm hoping Dougie will spend that other 7m and give me a better side, there's still 3 gaps in the first XI with a week of the window left. On a more positive note, it's the first time I've seen a DoF be active all summer in this save!

1 hour ago, coady said:

The media prediction was 19th, but I don't normally look until after the transfer window closes. I don't think I expected any other result, but the performance was extremely alarming! The long shots are definitely an issue, I've had to switch to pressing to try and reduce the number of efforts against me.

I'm hoping Dougie will spend that other 7m and give me a better side, there's still 3 gaps in the first XI with a week of the window left. On a more positive note, it's the first time I've seen a DoF be active all summer in this save!

It worries me when the board has higher expectations than the media as the latter are usually more realistic.

It's Dougie Freeman who just brought Batshuayi to Palace on transfer deadline day to the surprise of the manager Hodgson, so (a) he's good and (b) he works at Palace similar to in your game!

16 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

It worries me when the board has higher expectations than the media as the latter are usually more realistic.

It's Dougie Freeman who just brought Batshuayi to Palace on transfer deadline day to the surprise of the manager Hodgson, so (a) he's good and (b) he works at Palace similar to in your game!

I couldn't agree more, we had the same issue at Hemel Hempstead & Dungannon and we remember how both of those ended!

He certainly like a surprise, a few more of them in today's episode for sure. It's a shame his one huge name signing is the only one I can't really find a place for in our tactic.

Welcome to Season 6 Episode 2 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Today, we review the fine work Dougie Freedman has been doing at the club, before facing our biggest game of the series so far against Spurs with our new tactic.

Thanks for watching!

Archived