FM19 - The Head Coach (The Journeyman with a twist)

coady

!. What happened to the Crusaders job? Who got it?

2. Slough, huh? Is David Brent a season-ticket holder? :D

3. The thing about the boy Cain is he has high Determination. Amongst a group of dejected players on a losing streak, his positivity could be quite precious, especially when going behind like you did just there.

Best of luck with this one.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

!. What happened to the Crusaders job? Who got it?

2. Slough, huh? Is David Brent a season-ticket holder? :D

3. The thing about the boy Cain is he has high Determination. Amongst a group of dejected players on a losing streak, his positivity could be quite precious, especially when going behind like you did just there.

Best of luck with this one.

The NI clubs all went with their preferred option. I think I might have put Crusaders off in that game immediately after episode 4, they paid to get Danny Lennon as the media suggested.

I quite like what I've seen about Slough, they look like a club that fits me perfectly (dangerous words after 1 game in a job, I know).

I hope Cain will be a star, I love a resolute personality in non-league! :thup:

Welcome to Season 2 Episode 6 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! We're back in England's lowest playable league, but can we secure survival for Slough Town?

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday. There's also a new FIFA 19 Career Mode video every Friday.

A massive thanks for watching!

Great stuff as always. Did you notice how massively Hemel Hempstead blew it on the last day? The team you breezed past murdered them to save themselves from relegation! Real shame that Brexit's gonna do you at that level, but best of luck for next season!

[I will still insist on pronouncing the town and club "Sluff" If you don't like it, that's 'tuff'!]

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

Great stuff as always. Did you notice how massively Hemel Hempstead blew it on the last day? The team you breezed past murdered them to save themselves from relegation! Real shame that Brexit's gonna do you at that level, but best of luck for next season!

[I will still insist on pronouncing the town and club "Sluff" If you don't like it, that's 'tuff'!]

Haha, I do like Hemel Hempstead throwing it away & I'm looking forward to giving them a proper game next year (my first personal rivalry game of the series I think). My only worry is Jake Scrimshaw! If he's as good as he was for me at Torquay, which his goal scoring record suggest he is, they will be tough opposition.

Third time lucky in this career!

We're back tomorrow at 4.30pm for Season 3 of The Head Coach. At the third time of asking, we finally feel like we've found a home and can start to progress in this career. Can we finally go a full season without being sacked? 

Catch up with the first two seasons and join me tomorrow to see just how much work our DoF has done over the summer! Will his signings be any good?

A big thanks to everyone that's given the series a try so far!

Welcome to Season 3 Episode 1 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! 

In this episode, we're starting season 3 with fresh optimism, as we play our first game of the season after assessing our DoF's summer business. Can we go a full season without being sacked?

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday. There's also a brand new video from FIFA 19 Career Mode every Friday!

Thanks for watching as always!

Thanks to everyone that's watched the above episode of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. We'll be back with a new episode from this series tomorrow at 4.30pm, as we play our first grudge match of the series! We'll be up against Hemel Hempstead, the club where it all started for this Head Coach!

A massive thanks for watching, it's much appreciated! :thup:

Welcome to Season 3 Episode 2 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status!

Today, it's time for the first personal grudge match of the series, as we face our first club, Hemel Hempstead, who sacked us after just 3 months at the start of this story! Can we get revenge against our former employer?

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday.

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 3 Episode 3 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Today we're back to reality as we face Welling, with our early season form dwindling fast!

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday. There's also new content from FIFA 19 Career Mode every Friday.

Thanks for watching!

Your defensive collapse is fascinating, if not disastrous. It began with the FA Cup panning - in the prvious6 games you conceded 2 goals; in the next 6 it's been 21. Woah! I'd be back on the training ground, drilling defensive shape and positioning, maybe teamwork too. But first, get together with your data analyst and go through videos of those last 6 games and see if you can spot patterns of defensive errors - are they individuals repeatedly making the same mistakes, or is it your system?

8 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Your defensive collapse is fascinating, if not disastrous. It began with the FA Cup panning - in the prvious6 games you conceded 2 goals; in the next 6 it's been 21. Woah! I'd be back on the training ground, drilling defensive shape and positioning, maybe teamwork too. But first, get together with your data analyst and go through videos of those last 6 games and see if you can spot patterns of defensive errors - are they individuals repeatedly making the same mistakes, or is it your system?

That's the big issue I think, a lot of them are teenage defenders making individual errors (but we don't have four defenders over 19). Even the GK is an U21! I'd love to change the shape, but my only other option with this squad is probably a back 3/5 & I don't want to sacrifice the front two or wingers, as we still look excellent in attack!

We've dedicated two of our four weekly training sessions to defending now, so hopefully we can bore these kids into a good defensive position!

These could possibly be famous last words... but I'm still optimistic! :idiot:

I will be very interested to see how things go in the next episode. In my Head Coach story, my great run that took me to the top looks like it's coming to the most disastrous end - my Head Coach has accepted bids for half my first team including fullbacks where I have no backup. Technically, I could cancel the deals but that would be against the spirit of the challenge so I'm just gonna have to take it on the chin and cry uncontrollably :(

That's the hardest thing in this sort of save. If you have a great season and over achieve, the DoF and/or Chairman could just disintegrate your squad to fill their own pockets. (Something again I'm quite familiar with as a Luton fan in the Bill Tomlins era, unfortunately). As a result, I can't say it's unrealistic!

Fingers crossed, I don't see that happening at Slough (but I've been wrong before).

Welcome to Season 3 Episode 4 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Today we face a tough game against league leaders Dulwich Hamlet, after welcoming a hero from this save to the club.

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday. There's also a brand FIFA 19 Career Mode video every Friday.

Thanks for watching!

The Head Coach is back for part 2 of our personal grudge match with Hemel Hempstead tomorrow. It's the home return league fixture against the club that treated us so badly at the start of this series! 

If you haven't seen the latest episode, catch up to find out the other added ingredient for the upcoming game.

A massive thanks for watching as always & I hope you'll join me tomorrow.

Welcome to Season 3 Episode 5 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status!

Today, it's the return fixture of my personal grudge match, as we face our first club, Hemel Hempstead, who sacked us after just 3 months at the start of this story! Can we complete the double over our former employer?

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday. There's also a brand new video from FIFA 19 Career Mode every Friday.

Thanks for watching!

1 hour ago, DazRTaylor said:

Out of interest, why do you not use logo packs?  Very weird seeing the EPL teams with generic logos.

To be honest, it's something that's never really bothered me in FM (as long as the clubs have their normal names). Also at this stage of the save, it doesn't play too much of an important part, as I imagine it'll be a very long time before we reach a top tier club.

I guess also in this story, I never know which country I'm going to end up in. So I may end up needing the Russian or Spanish logo pack, rather than the English ones.

15 hours ago, coady said:

To be honest, it's something that's never really bothered me in FM (as long as the clubs have their normal names). Also at this stage of the save, it doesn't play too much of an important part, as I imagine it'll be a very long time before we reach a top tier club.

I guess also in this story, I never know which country I'm going to end up in. So I may end up needing the Russian or Spanish logo pack, rather than the English ones.

I use the mega pack, which corrects all of the logos in the game.  For all leagues.

I guess it is a personal thing, but I can never play without them.  :thup:

6 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

I use the mega pack, which corrects all of the logos in the game.  For all leagues.

I guess it is a personal thing, but I can never play without them.  :thup:

Agreed, I guess I grew up playing console games like PES2, so I'm grateful for just having 'Liverpool' instead of 'Europort' & 'Ryan Giggs' instead of 'Gigsi'!

Welcome to Season 3 Episode 6 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! It's the final league game of the season. We're in the playoff places but where will be finish after the final round of fixtures?

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday. There's also a new FIFA 19 Career Mode video every Friday.

Thanks for watching!

We're back tomorrow with another episode of The Head Coach, currently from Slough Town FC. Catch up with the latest episode to find out if we'll be starting a playoff campaign or moving disappointed into season 4?

A massive thanks for following the series as always!

Welcome to Season 3 Episode 7 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! It's the playoff first round today, as we face Dartford... and my word it's a crazy game!

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday. There's also a new video from FIFA 19 Career Mode every Friday.

Thanks for watching!

10 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Utter madness! Imagine being stuck in the Dartford Tunnel and only turning up at half time  :seagull:

Hope the rest of the play-offs have as many goals!!!

Haha, craziest half of football I've seen, especially given the occasion. The fact the other first round playoff finished 6-6 baffled me too. I think the other games will do very well to top that one!

Welcome to Season 3 Episode 8 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! It's playoff semi final time & we're facing formidable opposition in Bromley. Can we pull off a massive shock to reach the final?

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday. There's also a new video from FIFA 19 Career Mode every Friday.

A big thanks for watching, it's much appreciated!

8 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Ah, so are you going to 'slough' your club and grow into a new one, or are you keeping the same skin next season? Can't wait to find out.

I've just got to hope someone will give me a chance. I think I've decided I'm prepared to move, but only to a fully professional club. There's nothing like being fussy when you've 'failed' in 2 of your 3 previous jobs!

Welcome to Season 4 Episode 1 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! 

Today we begin Season 4 with an element of doom, as we play our first game of the season after assessing our DoF's summer business... or lack of it! Can we find a professional club to save us from this misery?

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday.

A massive thanks for watching as always! 

10 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

That performance suggests you should do okay this season, but I suspect you'll have one eye constantly on the jobs vacancies ads until you get to jump ship!

One eye? I'd imagine I'll be spending more time in the job centre than on the training ground! If any professional club comes in for me, I'll be gone immediately.

Welcome to Season 4 Episode 2 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! We finally have some decent signings today, but will they be enough to help us compete against unbeaten Bath City?

Thanks for watching!

7 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Love it! I know the feeling so well - you're on a good run, preparations have been perfect, suddenly you're watching a useless bunch of complete strangers wondering "Am I really here? Do I have any effect at all?" Then when you've given up all hope they start playing like Barcelona!

It's the most beautiful thing about football that only FM can replicate well! I'm still very much hoping I get offered an opportunity at a professional club soon, though at least there's some optimism for Slough now (I'll probably go on a 10 match winless run now I've said that!).

Welcome to Season 4 Episode 3 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! We return home with a big double header today, but will it be the end of our time at Slough Town FC?

A big thanks for watching, it's much appreciated!

18 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

I hope you get the Bury job.

Cracking job at Slough by the way.  Most people would struggle to get them where you have even if they had control of transfers.

Thanks, I think I probably would have struggled too. The DoF did a great job last season in the end, I just wish he wasn't so slow to move in the market.

I doubt a League One club will be ready to give me a chance yet, unfortunately. Wimbledon have the best facilities/stadium in game, but Stevenage is more local and familiar to me. All three would be very good jobs for different reasons, so as long as I get offered one I'll be happy!

Welcome to Season 4 Episode 4 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! We're in the running for a few jobs, but have to keep our attention on Slough, with a massive FA Cup tie against Coventry City.

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday at the same time. There's also a new video from FIFA 19 Career Mode every Friday. 

Thanks for watching!

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 08:12, phnompenhandy said:

Woah, the gulf in class with a league side is enormous. I can see why you feel you have to be at a professional outfit to move forward.

I couldn't agree more. My favourite part of FM is always developing young talent, but you just can't sustain that effectively at this level without progress.

Having said that, Slough are the first club that have been realistic and allowed us to develop a management style successfully too, so it will be with a heavy heart when we do leave. With the media & fan reactions we're getting after job interviews, surely it's just a matter of time!

It's a big day in this series coming up this afternoon. We thought we'd get a job offer soon after the Coventry FA Cup tie in the last episode... and we were right!

Find out where we'll be going & see our farewell to Slough Town at 4.30pm today. Certainly a wonderful club that have left us with some brilliant memories.

Welcome to Season 4 Episode 5 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! We start today with a farewell to Slough Town, as we have a job offer. Where will our Journeyman be heading next?

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday at the same time. There's also a new video from FIFA 19 Career Mode every Friday. 

Thanks for watching as always!

13 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

I am not sure how to feel about this.  I will follow and wish you well but, well, it is that club.  Ever since Graham Westley, I simply cannot abide them.

As a Luton fan, my feelings to Graham Westley are similar (I'm sure he's offended most EFL clubs/fans in his career at some point). They also seemed to view us as rivals for the few years we dropped below them in the football pyramid. This despite the fact they've essentially been our feeder club, even at that time we were signing their first team players & they were taking our released ones.

Not my favourite team either but they're local and importantly for this save, they're a professional team. So I'll give them a chance just this once!

Did you note your new club's philosophy? Bring in high-profile players. With a transfer budget of zero!

You 'agreed' 900 quid a week but the contract gives you 750. Is that after tax or were you conned?

I'm intrigued to see Paul Jewell reckons you struggle with a 4-3-3 and are best with a 4-1-4-1. Will you utilize those AMR/AMLs or go with MR/ML? I'll be interested to see how you think that through because formations and tactics are what I put a lot of grey matter into.

Now in my campaign I'm in the 7th tier, I'm running into players I recognise from your series. I was offered Makaka at the tail end of last season, but I'm doing an Academy youth challenge so had to pass and he went to Hanwell who promptly surged up and got promoted.

After deciding to go without a DoF and thus abandon the Head Coach part of the challenge, I've decided I don't have the stomach to be a Journeyman either. I can't do what you do - I get too attached to a club and everything I've build, especially the players I've nurtured. I develop an emotional bond that keeps me going, whereas at a place like [your new club] I'd be disinterested, especially when the club philosophy is antithetical to what I'm all about.

9 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Did you note your new club's philosophy? Bring in high-profile players. With a transfer budget of zero!

You 'agreed' 900 quid a week but the contract gives you 750. Is that after tax or were you conned?

I'm intrigued to see Paul Jewell reckons you struggle with a 4-3-3 and are best with a 4-1-4-1. Will you utilize those AMR/AMLs or go with MR/ML? I'll be interested to see how you think that through because formations and tactics are what I put a lot of grey matter into.

Now in my campaign I'm in the 7th tier, I'm running into players I recognise from your series. I was offered Makaka at the tail end of last season, but I'm doing an Academy youth challenge so had to pass and he went to Hanwell who promptly surged up and got promoted.

After deciding to go without a DoF and thus abandon the Head Coach part of the challenge, I've decided I don't have the stomach to be a Journeyman either. I can't do what you do - I get too attached to a club and everything I've build, especially the players I've nurtured. I develop an emotional bond that keeps me going, whereas at a place like [your new club] I'd be disinterested, especially when the club philosophy is antithetical to what I'm all about.

To be honest, I don't normally mind the transfer philosophy in this type of story. Firstly, the DoF will be working with the board so should adhere to them. Secondly, in lower leagues/non-league, almost every player is a 'high profile' signing. I'd imagine if the board get a PL senior affiliate, any loan player our DoF gets would be considered high profile too. Also, I'm rarely at a club long enough in the early years to fall foul of a transfer policy.

Who knows with Stevenage, but if they con me I'll be out the door very quickly!

It's a strange side really, a lot of left footed attacking players, lots of flair and no depth beyond a very good first 12-14 players. I've not pondered a tactical decision as much as at this club for a long time though!

That's a shame, Makaka would have been a star at that level. He's probably been one of my only consistent players at any club in this save so far.

I always have to play a one club series in every edition of FM. I get attached to that club very quickly, which makes me feel far better about doing what I do in this one. The DoF element helps too, as every club eventually makes a transfer/contract/staffing decision that frustrates you enough to justify leaving!

There's no new episode of this Head Coach series until Saturday now, as we take a few days off for Christmas. Instead there's a Christmas mini series from FM19 Touch, where we complete the 'Saviour Cometh' challenge with Newcastle United.

We'll be back on Saturday with a massive episode from this Head Coach series, as we show you some match action & transfer window movement from our new club! Check out the previous episode to see who we're managing now!

Archived