LLM - Making the next step

Apologies if this doesn't belong here, but I suppose it might fit broadly into 'strategies'. If not, please move it to the appropriate place.

I'm playing a non-league save, and after getting two consecutive promotions, I find myself just about keeping my head above water in the seventh tier. 

My tactics are... okay. An unspectacular 4-4-2 that does the job.

My issue is two-fold. First, I can't attract players any better than the ones I have. Whether this is due to club reputation, I don't know. Second, I can't seem to develop my existing players any further, despite having a number of youngsters with room for improvement.

In short, I've plateaued and I can't push on. Three seasons staving off relegation isn't much fun! Any insights would be welcome.

Being the massive outsider in the league doesn't have to be only about 'staying up' or 'keeping it tight'... like managing any team, you have to maximise your strengths whilst limiting your weaknesses.

Without knowing more about your squad, it's impossible to go into further detail... but if you're seriously that much weaker than the rest in your division, surely you set up sensibly at the back (probably with a DM or two) and look to hit your opponents where they leave space? 

Additionally - and without sounding harsh - I would question your scouting if you have spent 3 seasons in the same division and been unable to improve the quality of your playing staff. You should think about looking into where you can improve in that respect as well. In LLM, it can be often as simple as finding 2-3 players who can propel you to the next level.

Good luck!

56 minutes ago, felley said:

Being the massive outsider in the league doesn't have to be only about 'staying up' or 'keeping it tight'... like managing any team, you have to maximise your strengths whilst limiting your weaknesses.

Without knowing more about your squad, it's impossible to go into further detail... but if you're seriously that much weaker than the rest in your division, surely you set up sensibly at the back (probably with a DM or two) and look to hit your opponents where they leave space? 

Additionally - and without sounding harsh - I would question your scouting if you have spent 3 seasons in the same division and been unable to improve the quality of your playing staff. You should think about looking into where you can improve in that respect as well. In LLM, it can be often as simple as finding 2-3 players who can propel you to the next level.

Good luck!

Thanks,

I wasn't really looking to go into specifics on players, etc. I was really looking for general advice in terms of getting those better players in. My scouting is next to useless, I have one (bad) scout and he's overworked! But he's the best I can afford.

There's no money and I'm a bit stuck, basically. I scout players, I get the player comparisons going against my current crop, and after filtering for interested players, it's clear to me that I can't attract better players.

I feel like I'm doing a reasonable job, given the circumstances. I'm 1000/1 for promotion, with a media prediction of 24th, and I'm managing to get to 16th/17th, but I can't push on. I understand it's possible to get beyond that through tactical means, but I honestly don't have the time to manage that kind of over-achievement, so I'm looking for other means. I suppose the usual way of doing this is: stay in division, attract better players, aim higher.

Frustrating...

What works for me is inviting a lot of free players on trial, let them play 3/4 weeks in your B-squad and you know everything about them. Usually there are enough players who can improve your team.

4 hours ago, ajsr1982 said:

Thanks,

I wasn't really looking to go into specifics on players, etc. I was really looking for general advice in terms of getting those better players in. My scouting is next to useless, I have one (bad) scout and he's overworked! But he's the best I can afford.

There's no money and I'm a bit stuck, basically. I scout players, I get the player comparisons going against my current crop, and after filtering for interested players, it's clear to me that I can't attract better players.

I feel like I'm doing a reasonable job, given the circumstances. I'm 1000/1 for promotion, with a media prediction of 24th, and I'm managing to get to 16th/17th, but I can't push on. I understand it's possible to get beyond that through tactical means, but I honestly don't have the time to manage that kind of over-achievement, so I'm looking for other means. I suppose the usual way of doing this is: stay in division, attract better players, aim higher.

Frustrating...

What about scouting yourself? I understand you might be going for realism, but I find myself doing it if I'm desperate. Released youth players are a good shout, and - depending on your database - players on amateur contracts at other clubs.

Also... loans? I've built many an LLM team that relied heavily on loan players.

Failing all that, perhaps you're simply right that you're doing the best you can. Might have to stick it out until the right players become available!

That might have to be the way to go, but I find myself after a point of clarification.

The automatic filter that's in place, I think it was previously called 'all known players' or some such. What does that do? Are you saying that I should be looking outside that filter to pick up players that are effectively outside my network?

2 minutes ago, ajsr1982 said:

That might have to be the way to go, but I find myself after a point of clarification.

The automatic filter that's in place, I think it was previously called 'all known players' or some such. What does that do? Are you saying that I should be looking outside that filter to pick up players that are effectively outside my network?

'All known players' lists all those visible to your club through it's accumulated scouting knowledge (so the game's assessment of your own, plus that of all your staff).

This doesn't mean you can't manually trawl through teams looking for under-appreciated players or those on non-contracts etc.  Of course, if you're playing with attribute masking on then this idea isn't as useful as you'd still have to send your scout.

That makes sense, thanks. I was definitely working within the 'all known players' filter.

I have attribute masking on, but I can at least direct my scout towards players that look like they might improve things, rather than him trawling around elsewhere.

I'll admit I still don't have a great handle on the scouting system in FM18, so thanks for your help.

No problem.

I've read many-a-complaint about the new scouting system but I personally think it's much more realistic how it is now. It was too easy in previous editions to put together a team of superstars in the lower leagues... I understand it makes it harder for you like! :D

Let us know if you manage to find some gems

Archived