Clubs' End of Season Awards...what's the metric?

https://i.gyazo.com/0d904a0797f93dad0a2afc30a6661cb2.png[/img]

I just finished my first season of FM18, and got the End of Season Awards message. Player of the Year: a 33-year old winger who got a 6.97 average over 33 games, getting one goal and two assists. Second: a striker who got 17 goals in 27 apps and managed 7.09 on average. Third: a DM (playing as a CM - D) who played 26 games and average 6.91. Pretty odd choices, since we had a winger who got 6.99 from 28 apps (2 gls, 5 assists) who basically outperformed Rojas. Then our best player this season, a 21-year old breaking into the first team, played 14 games, scored 12, got 3 assists and averaged 7.53. He won for Young Player of the Year, was picked in the Team of the Season, but not even featured in Player of the Year top three?  

Then there's the Team of the Season, where Muñoz, the aforementioned 21-year old, is picked ahead of Reymundez (second in player of the year) who doesn't even feature. 

I'm wondering what the metric is? Are there some hidden stats which influence this, or does it just pick a few players who performed well (compared to others) at random? 

I appreciate it's just fluff, but these award results made me very curious. 

Archived