Sarri-ball - The Sarri Expirement

r159912_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=738&site=esp

(This is inspired by @Ji-Sung Park's thread regarding the very same tactic)

Maurizio Sarri, 58, is one of the most exciting managers Italy has to offer at the moment. Sarri was not an ex-player - The Napoli head coach was actually a banker. He started coaching back in 1990 with Stia in the lower leagues in Tuscany. 10 years (and six clubs) later he got a chance with Sansovino, and led them from regional championships all the way to Serie C2. Here started phase two of the Neapolitan’s plan, and 15 years (and 11 clubs) later he arrived at Empoli. Sarri managed to keep Empoli in the Serie A for another season.

Explanation of Napoli's style of play, taken from breakingthelines.com :

Napoli’s style of play is desired by many around the football world. It revolves keeping possession whilst also ensuring that the ball circulation is quick and precise. It starts with the defenders especially the likes of Koulibaly and Albiol being comfortable on the ball, being able to keep it under pressure and playing out from the back and into the midfield. Triangles are very prominent within the Napoli team. Every single player on the pitch is comfortable on the ball and is able to pass the ball with either foot and this allows Napoli to adopt a quick passing sequence that often results in a chance being created. As soon as the ball crosses over into the oppositions half, the movement of the midfield three and the attacking trio changes as the striker and the left winger will often come short to link up with the midfielders.

This is the formation I intend on using :

68a8e53cefb31ba9804c86f077d1c3a9.png

Roles might change depending on the mentality. Currently shifting between Attack (Where the Mezzala gets Attacking role and the DLP goes Defensive) and the Control mentality tactic seen above.

In this thread, I'll try using the template given by @Ji-Sung Park in his thread and convert it into FM18. Should be interesting, and if all goes well, a joy to watch.

I did Sarri last year, and it worked really well. 

footballmanager2017dotblog.wordpress.com/2017/10/19/sarriball-maurizio-sarris-433-fast-attacking-possession-based-tactic-for-football-manager-2017/

It doesn't work in this years game, which is a shame. But I've been working on a new version slowly for this years game, one of the users referred me to Ji Sung Park's thread also.

I've gone 4-1-2-2-1 this year, because i think it's not realistic to put Jorginho or Diawara whoever plays in front of the back 4, in the same midfield line as Hamsik and Zielinksi or Allan whoever plays RCM. Jorginho should be  DLP(s) in the DMC I'm pretty sure. 

I also think defensive line and press are too conservative on the control mentality, but i think it's nightmare trying to get the patience of Napoli's build up play in the first third with anything higher than control mentality. In fact, having just done half a season trying to slow play down with TI's and PI's on attacking mentality, i now think it might be near impossible. I think Control with close down much more and high defensive line might be the max. 

Anyhow, for Sarri, this year I've tried to rig everything to slow the play down in the first third, but it's still way too fast. I'll check out his thread tomorrow. 5a1df4d9617f6_sarriFM18(2).thumb.png.8c9c4a9ccbe45feb8a7b4d21de23c536.png

Let me know how you getting on, i love Sarri's Napoli man, be great to get a decent replication in this years version. I'm most interested in seeing someone replicate that patient first third build up - without seeing the same patience in the final third - i think that's really hard to do. 

Also, Sarri mixes up his tempo's and passing directness to confuse the opposition - so i now think there need to be two tactics, where the second would be used say 10 times per game, just to mix up the tempo. Obviously you'd have to do this manually, OR you might be able to use Match Plans to swap it around. That'd be lovely to see. 

240px-S.S.C._Napoli_logo.svg.png

MID SEASON UPDATE

3b2f69567552bb113cc45a4283a07557.png

League Table looks promising. Only 18 goals conceded in 20 games, with Juventus scoring six against us. All in all, the defense looks rock solid. Attack is looking good too, 2.3 goals per game. 2016/2017 seasonal average was 2.47 - We aren't so far behind!

The latest game against Roma was a beautiful example of this tactic. It ended 2-0 with a brace from Lorenzo Insigne. Kasper Dolberg, Mertens' replacement, assisted one. Mertens was sold to City on a release clause in the transfer deadline day. Snatched this young Danish striker instead :) 14 goals and 9 assists in 28 appearances so far.

Anyway, some stats from the match :

1c6ccbb2754d5b39205b1d5faad173c8.pngb19ae42aef862230cfa6c8c7f122d055.pnged7e1336c690d38b07de8f5c06748ea8.png

On the left, the heat map - Brilliant, we were all over the place. Pass combinations? Really not much to say here - the midfield trio are the central part of this tactic. Average positions show the defensive line pretty high up.

All in all, I think it's looking good so far. I'll provide better analysis when I have the time.

Archived