4-1-2-3 Sunderland

Started a save with Sunderland and with being a beginner at this game I really can't seem to get the hang of the tactics, TI's and PI's.

Pickford -G -De

Van Aanholt -fb-At

Djilibodji -BPD-De

Kone -CD-De

Manquillo -FB-Su

mcnair -DM-De

Rodwell -DLP-Su

N'dong -BBM-Su

Khazri -IF-Su

Januzaj -IF-At

Defoe -P-At

Mentallity - Counter

Team Shape - Flexible

TI - Defensive Line = Slightly Deeper

Can anyone give me some feedback on what I'm doing wrong with these tactics as my team can't seem to score a goal never mind win a game so far?

thanks in advance guys

I have used a similar set up myself (Not with Sunderland) 

Few points I'd make

*  Poacher is going to struggle in that formation and set up. He wont contribute greatly in any build up play, and there isn't a great deal going on to feed him either. They don't really play well as lone strikers at all.

*  I used the exact same midfield trio as you for a while, I found it became a little to unadventurous if you like, and changed it around a little in the end.  The Deeplying playmaker isn't as static as the description leads it to be though, so it can be okay, depending on who you use there.

* It isn't the greatest formation for counter attacks either, more suited to a higher press, because it is a top heavy formation. Not to say it can't work, but dropping slightly deeper as well, in my experience, you can just get pushed back and back and never get out. If you want to play direct counters up too you attacking trio, you don't have to use counter mentality, although you can, but bear in mind how you will play when not countering if that makes sense, structured or even highly structured can work better to exploit the space, I think if I were using your exact set up, that is what I would do.

Just some opinions, I am by no means an expert, I have struggled with FM17 more than any other version of the game, and I have been playing some years.

You don't have anyone up front creating space for Defoe and the IF(A) to attack.

I use the same formation, but use an AP(S) on the left, and RMD(A) on the right, with an F9 in the middle. The F9 and AP create space by pulling defenders out of position, and the RDM and BBM (which is one of my midfield roles) attack it. If the defenders don't follow my F9 then he becomes a great passing options for through balls.

My F9 and RDM are leading the Championship for goals and assists at the moment after 26 games.

31 minutes ago, Torskus77 said:

I have used a similar set up myself (Not with Sunderland) 

Few points I'd make

*  Poacher is going to struggle in that formation and set up. He wont contribute greatly in any build up play, and there isn't a great deal going on to feed him either. They don't really play well as lone strikers at all.

*  I used the exact same midfield trio as you for a while, I found it became a little to unadventurous if you like, and changed it around a little in the end.  The Deeplying playmaker isn't as static as the description leads it to be though, so it can be okay, depending on who you use there.

* It isn't the greatest formation for counter attacks either, more suited to a higher press, because it is a top heavy formation. Not to say it can't work, but dropping slightly deeper as well, in my experience, you can just get pushed back and back and never get out. If you want to play direct counters up too you attacking trio, you don't have to use counter mentality, although you can, but bear in mind how you will play when not countering if that makes sense, structured or even highly structured can work better to exploit the space, I think if I were using your exact set up, that is what I would do.

Just some opinions, I am by no means an expert, I have struggled with FM17 more than any other version of the game, and I have been playing some years.

8 minutes ago, SuperFulhamFC said:

You don't have anyone up front creating space for Defoe and the IF(A) to attack.

I use the same formation, but use an AP(S) on the left, and RMD(A) on the right, with an F9 in the middle. The F9 and AP create space by pulling defenders out of position, and the RDM and BBM (which is one of my midfield roles) attack it. If the defenders don't follow my F9 then he becomes a great passing options for through balls.

My F9 and RDM are leading the Championship for goals and assists at the moment after 26 games.

Have just signed Bentacur who is more of a Wide midfielder than an inside forward. 

Do do you think 4-4-1-1 would be better to get a bit more support up to Defoe?

12 minutes ago, SuperFulhamFC said:

Virtually what I use. Although more recently I have started using Complete Forward (s) Because I am 10 seasons in to the game , I have a superb forward, who just causes chaos wit his virtually free role. I also have a winger who sometimes replaces the RMD if that isn't working.

I personally think having an AM of some kind would aid Defoe, he is going to be very isolated playing that lone striker role, without some support closer too him. I wouldn't say it's impossible. Trouble is, you have to completely reshuffle your plan, would affect

almost all of your team. 

27 minutes ago, Torskus77 said:

I personally think having an AM of some kind would aid Defoe, he is going to be very isolated playing that lone striker role, without some support closer too him. I wouldn't say it's impossible. Trouble is, you have to completely reshuffle your plan, would affect

almost all of your team. 

I understand that Sunderland aren't a great team and should struggle. 

But im getting beat time after time off poor Chinese teams and Scottish league 1 sides, it's pretty pathetic really. 

Just want ant to know the best way to give myself a chance of actually winning a few games before I just sack it off. No fun in getting pumped every week and not having a clue why. 

Archived