How do I make a team win?

Hi,

I've been playing the game for a couple of months now and still struggling to understand, why I keep losing. At first, I won a couple of seasons. After that, I started losing and ending up at the bottom of the league, no matter where I play and which team. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I just got kicked out of Nashville because of the poor results in games. I tried to find a "hint book" on what to look at when trying to make a succesfull team. 

I've bought good players in every position and comparing the talents to other teams, the team should've been a big contender for winning and going easily into the playoffs. All players are playing their natural positions. I have good goalies too.  So it seems that a good set of talented players isn't quite enough.

I tried to dabble with the tactics. None of the tactic changes seemed to help. Guess it's because I don't understand them good enough. What tactics should I choose and what should I base my tactics on?

I got a great head coach, and assistant GM and as much assistant coaches to cover all player areas with their strengths along with physios at 20. They didn't change a thing.  I noticed that different coaches have a certain favorite type of tactics. Does that make a big difference on what tactics I should choose for the team?

Is there something important I'm missing? The game is great but it looks like I'm at loss with what to start up with to make the team work and it's quite depressing. Can you please help me on getting started? Any tips would be well appreciated. :)

Honestly, my tip would be to spend some time reading...

The Guide Alessandro (kidhandler 1983) referenced would be a starting point....read through it, and ask yourself are you doing all the things it recommends

The stickied threads I referenced covered signing players, practice, even strength tactics, powerplay/penalty killing tactics could/should all be approached the same way...

There's even a "Help! I need advice for my team/roster thread" (I myself believe you can manage/coach so many different ways that giving "tips" is not an easy task, but others don't see things the same way, and this thread is the place you'll get people giving you some feedback; I suggest reposting there what you posted here)

Plus there's 20 more pages of tips in the Game Knowledge Discussion thread! TBL is most definitely the place for all things EHM :)

P.S. The complexity of the game and the multiple approaches that can be taken to play/win are a significant positive about EHM IMO :)

Thanks for the tips! This game sure seems to be something that needs a lot of studying to learn compared to many others. Guess it's frustrating at first for everyone, but these types of games usually pay up big time in the end. None of my tricks worked at Nashville but now everything goes quite smooth with another team. Totally baffled lol. I will check those threads. Being a dad of 4 kids just means that this will be a long and patience demanding process. 

Archived