A Manager's Tale (FM 15)

Greyfriars Bobby

My name is Chris Keohane, and my story isn't remarkable in any way. I grew up in Coventry, went to school, played some football, and got as high as the Conference South with Bishop's Stortford. I was making two hundred a week, doing what I loved to do, and for a bloke in his mid-twenties, that wasn't too bad.

I'd given myself until I was 25 to pursue a career in football. It was obvious by then I was nothing more than a non-League player, without that "something extra" that would attract the eye of a bigger club. I was always considered an intelligent player, though, one who didn't play himself into trouble by trying to do things I can't do.

So, the autumn before my 25th birthday, I did what my parents wanted me to do all along: I went to university. I took my degree in history, looked for a job, and found one, working in admission for the school I attended until I was 18 and left home to play for Bishop's Stortford. It wasn't a bad job. I liked the surroundings, I worked with a good group of people, and the pay wasn't bad. I had time to read, to write a little, to learn to cook a decent meal.

Then, the Director of Sport asked me to help with the school's Second XI. That's when the bug bit me.

I can't explain what it is about coaching a football team that appeals to me so much. I suppose it touches both sides of me--the physical and the intellectual--in a way nothing else can do.

I was very honest with the head of the school about my new-found desire to get a job in football and, to his credit, he offered me his full support. I could remain in my position while I looked for a coaching job, and he told me that if I remained in the area, he'd keep me on the admission staff on a part-time basis. I can't ask for much better than that.

For that reason, I restricted my job search to clubs that are no more than an hour or so from Coventry. It took a year, but I landed a job with Wantage Town, in Oxfordshire. It's a bit farther from Coventry than I'd have liked, but I'll see if I can find a place somewhere between my two employers. For now, I'll have to make the drive down to Wantage for training and on match days.

Wantage just won promotion to the Southern League First Division South/West, Level Eight on the English pyramid. Their squad isn't bad, and the chairman, Declan Turner, has given me a decent wage budget with which I can bring some new lads into the team. Turner's given me a one-year contract on £500/week, and he wants me to keep the club from being relegated back down from whence we came last season.

It won't be an easy task, but the Wantage Town board think I'm the man to do it. Come May, we'll see if they were right.

I'm using fake names here, so all my characters will be completely fictional. I hope I manage to make them intriguing enough to keep you coming back for more.

Good to have you back, Bobby. What database are you using for this one? Would love to see this develop.

Thanks, tenthree. It's good to be back, and I hope I've picked a winner this time.

The database is one I found on Steam, called "English League Lvl10(+11)+Cups by Robin." I thought about taking a job farther down the pyramid, but I had fun managing Wantage Town on my first decent FM save, and I thought it might be fun to return there.

Early August, 2015

It's difficult to have to break the news to a player who worked hard to help his club earn promotion that he's simply not good enough to play regularly now that his club has reached a higher level. That's what I've had to tell several Wantage Town players in the past few weeks. A few others saw the reality of the situation and took offers from other clubs, where they'd have a chance to play regular football.

There is a Director of Football at Wantage Town, a fellow called Stuart O'Grady. He and I got to work quickly putting together a team that would be able to stay up in the First Division, a task most of the pundits say we'll have problems accomplishing. We don't have money for transfers, so I'm counting on being able to find players we can bring in for free.

I'm building a team with players who might not be amazing athletes, but who know how to play football. They'll come to a club like ours, and accept a smaller pay packet than the lads with more pace and raw physical prowess. After I'd been here for a month or so, we'd acquired a core of players like that, and now it's a matter of letting them bed in.

We begin league play today, away to Didcot Town. Here's the squad we've assembled to begin the season:

GOALKEEPERS

Jenk Cummings (age 21) A well-rounded keeper, good in the air. Can play as a sweeper keeper. Good number one for this league.

Peter Pavey (age 25) Great at some things, but lacks composure. Probably on his way out.

Stephen Sawyer (age 20) Very quick reflexes. Mentally tough; won’t let a mistake get him down for long. I’d be comfortable with him between the posts for a tough match.

DEFENDERS

Luke Edridge (age 24) Very good pace. Mentally tough. Lacks technical skill. Can play right or center back. Solid backup.

Kevin Evans (age 22) Versatility is his best attribute. Can play all across back line. Sometimes too aggressive for his own good. Backup only.

John Franks (age 33) Most valuable as my assistant manager, but can still do the job at center half. Won’t start regularly, but will come off bench frequently.

Jordan Johnson (age 26) Responsible and reliable, two essential qualities for a center back. Nothing special in terms of strength and pace. Very good on the ball for this level. First team.

Steve Judge (age 22) Similar to Johnson, only younger. Smallish (5’10”) but tough and brave. Can also play DM. Will start.

Liam Piper (age 22) Another lad who won’t impress with pace or power, but who knows how to play football. Can play right or left back. Will be in a rotation; will play quite a bit.

Jack Thewlis (age 23) The club captain. Big, rangy defender who is fine at LB or CB. Outstanding mentally, decent tackler and marker. Not comfortable on the ball. Facing tough competition for his spot.

Callum Thornton (age 21) Can play all along the right side. Offers pace and work rate. Decent at crossing and dribbling, so he’s dangerous getting forward. Solid defender. First choice right back.

MIDFIELDERS

Chay Ashton (age 23) Pacey winger with good ball skills. Delivers accurate crosses. Rangy, tall lad; needs more strength. Will start on left wing. Loads of potential.

Paul Cooke (age 19) Determined youngster. Fits our squad profile well—no signature skill, but good at lots of things. Does his share defensively. Will play a lot in central midfield or as DM.

Louis Howard (age 26) Athletic right winger. Small, but tough. Looks to pass rather than shoot. A decent option for the first team.

Kris Hutchinson (age 21) Signed as a central midfielder, but also good at left back. Offers speed and physical presence. Passes well enough to run the midfield. He’ll feature regularly somewhere.

Eddie Macey (age 17) Would be better in the U21s, but for now he’s needed here for depth. Fast, but raw.

Tom Smith (age 21) A good fit at center mid or on the right side. A better footballer than an athlete. Between the league and the cups, I’ll have him on the team sheet a lot.

FORWARDS

Chris Belmar (age 19) A flashy, creative forward who can play either wing or as a striker. When he learns to use his size and strength more effectively (he’s 6’0”, 180 lbs), he’ll be a star. He’ll feature somewhere.

Jake Hodge (age 26) Probably best on the right wing, but he can play on top, too. Can run all day. Cool under pressure. Not a natural finisher, but good enough. First team.

Andrew Pavey (age 32) Veteran leader. Best when he plays behind the striker. Creative passer and dribbler. An easy choice when we play with an AM©.

Kevin Sentence (age 25) A pure striker. Fast, flashy, clinical. Good first touch. Less versatile than our other forwards, but a natural goal scorer who will see the pitch.

We could use one more midfielder, ideally someone who can provide cover for more than one position.

Our home shirt has green and white hoops, so the green highlight seemed appropriate.

Wantage was the birthplace of King Alfred the Great, which is why the team is nicknamed the Alfredians, and we play at Alfredian Park. There's an image of the king on our club badge. Alfred has long been regarded highly for being a "learned and merciful man, of a gracious and level-headed nature," who improved his kingdom and left it a better place than he found it.

I'm simply trying to improve a football club, but Alfred doesn't seem like such a bad role model.

9 August 2014

Didcot Town v. Wantage Town

First Division

It's said you never forget your first time, so I suppose I'll remember for the rest of my life that my first official match as the manager of a football club took place today, at Loop Meadow Stadium in Didcot. I wouldn't use the word "nervous" to describe the way I felt. I was very ready to begin the season, since we played well in the friendlies that preceded league play. We played four matches, and won them all.

Jack Hodge, who netted five times in those four games, played himself into a gig as our striker, at least for now. The team sheet looked like this:

Cummings, Thornton, Johnson, Judge, Thewlis, Cooke, Hutchinson, Howard, Pavey, Smith, Hodge.

The match itself was uneventful. Steve Judge had to come off just before the hour mark, grimacing as he tried to walk off a painful tweak to his hamstring. Our physio, Steven Knowles, diagnosed it as a minor pull, rather than a strain, and Judge won't pull his boots back on for another month.

Four minutes from time, the Railwaymen had a free kick from 35 yards. Cummings could only push it away, and one of theirs got to it first and knocked it in. It looked like a very soft goal at the time, but after I saw the tape, I chalked it up to a piece of bad fortune. Still, it gave Didcot three points.

12 August 2014

Wantage Town v. Sholing

First Division

This early in the season, the last thing we need is a match on three days' rest. I had no choice but to rotate in a number of players, and for the most part, they acquitted themselves well. Teenager Eddie Macey looked a bit lost, which doesn't bode well for his chances to stay with the first team if I can find a more experienced hand.

Again, the match remained scoreless until very late and, for a moment, I thought history would repeat itself; Sholing took advantage of some lousy defending on a corner, and converted the pathetically easy free header we so kindly bestowed upon them. Then, Louis Howard caught the Boatmen napping, hitting a long ball onto the run of Kevin Sentence. Their 'keeper came out, and Kevin coolly blasted it over his head and in.

It was my first match at Alfredian Park, and I feel lucky to have escaped with a point. The Boatmen put five shots on target, and only some yeoman work from Jenk Cummings prevented them from scoring more than they did.

16 August 2014

AFC Totton v. Wantage Town

First Division

AFC Totton are as unfancied as we are, so I optimistically predicted a result here. The lads delivered it. It was an attractive football match, one a neutral would appreciate, a strikers' duel between the Stags' Richard Fenwick and our Jack Hodge.

Hodge struck first, Fenwick responding three minutes later. On the hour mark, Fenwick put the visitors ahead...for five minutes, when Hodge drew us level. A draw seemed imminent, which seemed a fair outcome, given the shape of the match. Then, on 86 minutes, Hodge nicked the ball from a Totton defender and bore down on the now-defenseless 'keeper. Hat trick for Hodge; three points to the home side.

Three matches in, and we're right in the middle of the table. If we remain there, everyone should be happy, most of all me.

I've been looking at places to live along the route from Coventry to Wantage. Banbury is one possibility; it's the only town of any size that's close to halfway. I'm already getting a bit tired of spending three hours on the M40 every time I need to come to Alfredian Park.

I hope Winchester City get promoted.

Drogba, Winchester City are actually a league below Wantage in my save. They're in the Wessex League Premier Division.

My plans for my story include featuring a team that are one level below my team, so if you're a Winchester City supporter, they'll do just fine.

Thanks for dropping by, and I hope you'll keep reading.

23 August 2014

Wantage Town v. Fleet Town

We enjoyed the luxury of a full week without a match--a rare thing, this early in the season. Unfortunately, we didn't take full advantage of it. I'm sure we thoroughly bored all 90 people who came out to Alfredian Park to watch us in a goal-less draw with a Fleet Town side who were as lackluster as we were.

25 August 2014

I had been trying to find a player or two who could give us some cover at several positions. This kind of footballer is useful in any team, and he's essential to one that can't afford to maintain a large squad. I had originally hoped to find a younger player, but I ended up giving a call to a friend of mine from our youth football days.

His name is Terry Hessenthaler. His father, Dean, made a decent name for himself as a coach, and that's how I got to know Terry. Dean was on Coventry's youth staff for a few years, coaching the team Terry and I played for. I'm not sure why, but Terry never seemed to get the opportunity to show what he could really do. By the time he was 16, his dad was coaching somewhere else--up in the Northwest, I seem to remember--and Coventry let Terry go. Since then, he's kicked around the lower leagues, working in retail and turning out for anyone who will give him a shot.

When I offered him £60/week, he said, "Why not? I can do what I'm doing in Wantage as well as I can anywhere else, right?"

Terry is more comfortable on the left side than the right, and he'd prefer to play somewhere in the midfield, but he makes a passable striker and a serviceable left back. And, he's a good influence on younger players, too.

His girlfriend is the most patient woman in the world. She's never once told him to give up on his dream, even though he's never been able to make much money from football. This might be Terry's last chance, and if it is, I'm glad I'm the one giving it to him.

As soon as he arrived, he encouraged me to give another player a call, a fellow I thought had hung up his boots several years ago.

Ian Taylor is, if anything, more versatile than Terry is. He'd prefer to play on the right side of the pitch so, between them, he and Terry pretty much cover the entire pitch. Ian is slow--I'm faster than he is, and I run like a bloody duck--but he's never backed away from a scrap in his life.

So, for just over one hundred a week, I've brought in two utility players who will give our team some experience and, even more importantly, some backbone.

Terry also tells me his girlfriend has a friend or two I might enjoy meeting. I'm going to be a little more cautious about pursuing his leads when it comes to women.

• 1 month later...

30 August 2014

Wantage Town 2-2 Thatcham Town

FA Cup Preliminary Round

The board expects me to put up a challenge in the Cup, so I felt like I needed to make a good showing. There was a decent crowd at Alfredian Park, another reason why I fielded nearly a full-strength side.

Stephen Sawyer got his first opportunity to start in goal, and he wasn't bad. Thatcham scored twice, but neither goal was his fault. The second one was scored late, and pulled them level. That's how it ended. I'm glad we didn't have to play extra time, but now we have a replay at their grounds in ten days or so.

Louis Howard and Chris Belmar got our goals. That's good news, but the bad news was worse. Jordan Johnson had to leave the match on 20 minutes with a damaged elbow, and he's expected to miss about a month. Fortunately, Steve Judge will be returning soon, and can slot in at center back.

3 September 2014

Larkhall Athletic v. Wantage Town

First Division

Off we went to Bath, to take on the Larks. I played Andrew Pavey as our sole striker, and he took his goal very well. The supporters think signing him was a good piece of business and, so far, I agree with them. Kevin Evans responded to the opportunity to start with a goal of his own-a true collector's piece--and we went off 2-0 winners.

6 September 2014

Merthyr Town v. Wantage Town

First Division

The Martyrs are a Welsh club, and we returned from a journey across the border on the wrong side of a 2-0 scoreline. We looked lacklustre all match long. We kept the ball just fine, but couldn't do much else with it...besides knock it in our own goal or give it to our opponent in dangerous positions. We paid for both those mistakes; Jenk Cummings turned a Merthyr Town cross over his line, and John Franks, starting today at center back, coughed up the ball inside the area for Leigh Owens to put into the net.

Consistency has eluded us so far. We'll play well for a match or two, and then we blunder around the pitch like a Sunday league side.

7 September 2014

Lots of teams have inquired about taking Eddie Macey on loan. He's talented, with speed that can't be taught--but he has a lot of other things left to learn. I decided to accept Molesley's offer, because Eddie's older brother Lewis is in their team. He's a goalkeeper, and the club's captain. Eddie will get to start there, and he'll have Lewis to help guide him along.

9 September 2014

Thatcham Town v. Wantage Town

FA Cup Preliminary Round Replay

A quickfire double from Andrew Pavey put us in control of the replay within seven minutes, and we didn't look back. Chris Belmar, playing left wing, got a brace, too, so we were up by four before much more than a half hour was gone.

Not all the news from this match was good, however. Not long after Belmar's second goal, Pavey was clattered hard and went down, and when he got to his feet, he was wincing and holding his elbow. The physio's report wasn't positive: AP will be out for three weeks, minimum. The man we sent in for him, Kevin Sentence, added our fifth goal late in the match.

We pocketed £1000 for our victory, but that's small consolation if Pavey is out for any length of time.

10 September 2014

Stuart O'Grady certainly earns the pay he draws as Director of Football. Today, he loaned Kevin Sentence out to Deeping Rangers for a month, where he'll get more playing time than he's gotten lately with us. Even though Andrew Pavey is out of commission for a while, we still have Jack Hodge.

O'Grady also offered 25-year-old midfielder Dean Hunter a non-contract deal that would pay him £50 per appearance. Hunter is decent; he's got lots of pace, and the mental aspects of his game are outstanding. He'd be a decent backup for us, and I asked to delay the deal for a week so I can think about it more.

I thought I'd found a flat I liked in Banbury, but the owner wanted too much rent for it. Besides, I've been busy enough at school lately that living in Coventry has been an advantage. The balancing act I'm doing is exhilirating, at least for now, but I wonder how well it will work in the long run.

Nice victory for you. And I do love the very low lower leagues. Hope you keep this going -- will be a fun read.

Thanks, tenthree. It's always rewarding to receive support and encouragement from anyone who's reading along. I'm almost always a lower-league guy myself; I think that environment suits my managing style (and my ability) far better than that of a big club.

16 September 2014

Swindon Supermarine v. Wantage Town

FA Cup, 1st Qualifying Round

Today was a rainy, blustery day, and the pitch at Hunts Copse was a soupy, sloppy mess. For September, it's in terrible shape, and I hate to think what it will be like come winter. Since the grounds seemed like a throwback to the 1950s, I played some vintage English football, too. I directed the lads to play a much more direct style than usual, and it worked well. We saw off the Marine, 2-0, on a brace from Jack Hodge.

The £3000 we earned with our victory will come in handy, and we've been drawn at home to Merstham on the 27th, so we'll hopefully fill our coffers with a decent gate. Our finances aren't too bad, but they could always be better; such is life at a small club.

17 September 2014

I decided to go ahead and complete the deal for Dean Hunter. He immediately becomes the fastest man in the club, and now that he's here, I can see why our scouts raved about his mental makeup. Dean is comfortable as a central midfielder or a defensive midfielder. I'm going to give him an opportunity to prove himself in the first team right away. At worst, he should be a capable backup.

20 September 2014

Wantage Town v. Stratford Town

First Division

It was nice to return to Alfredian Park, with its playable pitch and its friendly fans. It took us 30 seconds to demonstrate our gratitude in a meaningful way. Tom Smith, getting a start in the midfield, took the ball and slipped it ahead to Chris Belmar. Chris waited...waited...waited...and slotted home for his first goal in league play (after netting three in the Cup).

The Bards' Gordon Smith equalized, hammering a header that went in off Jenk Cummings' gloves. Then, not ten minutes later, John Franks fouled Smith in the area, and Billy Grocott drove his penalty into the top right corner, above a diving Cummings' reach.

On 40 minutes, Ian Taylor suffered a particularly ugly injury that undoubtedly made many in the crowd of 103 temporarily wish they were somewhere else. The veteran midfielder went down hard from a rugged challenge and fell heavily on his outstretched arm. His groans of pain were audible all around the grounds, and you didn't need to be a physiotherapist to look at his arm and tell it was broken. We won't see Ian on the pitch until November.

Ever-ready Terry Hessenthaler came on for him, and on the hour mark, he started a move that culminated in a nice cross from right back Luke Edridge which Tom Smith headed home to pull us back level. Then, Louis Howard picked out Jack Hodge, and the striker delivered the match-winner.

With the exception of Ian's injury, it was an enjoyable night at the football for everyone in Wantage green and white. I went out and lifted a pint or two in a local pub, which I haven't done very often, and the locals couldn't have been nicer.

23 September 2014

Wantage Town v. Wimborne Town

First Division

I didn't venture out into Wantage's high street after this one. I'd probably have had a pint poured over my head if I had, such was the performance of the team tonight. We had our chances--more of them than the home team did-- and we forced their 'keeper, Martin Taylor, to make six saves. Taylor was up to the task each time, however, and we let two fairly soft goals in.

Right back Liam Piper had a miserable game in his first start in league play, after performing so well in three FA Cup ties. I still like Liam's game, however, and he'll get another chance soon enough. I might give Stephen Sawyer a start in goal against Merstham, however. Jenk Cummings looks a bit tentative right now.

Terry Hessenthaler tells me that his now-fiancee, Emily, has a friend who'd like to meet me sometime. I wonder if Emily's friend decided this before, or after, she saw the result of tonight's match.

Enjoying this start Bobby, like the rapid progress. And a fairly decent start for Wantage Town too, hopefully you can avoid being dragged into a relegation battle. Good work.

Enjoying this start Bobby, like the rapid progress. And a fairly decent start for Wantage Town too, hopefully you can avoid being dragged into a relegation battle. Good work.

Thanks very much, Neil. I had a long hiatus while life got especially busy; for a while, it felt like we had six kids, not three. Things have settled down a bit, so I was able to pick the story back up again. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

The Alfredians have some potential. I think a mid-table finish would be a realistic expectation this year, and after that, who knows? Anyway, thanks for following along.

27 September 2014

Wantage Town v. Merstham

FA Cup Second Qualifying Round

The biggest crowd I've seen yet--nearly 400 strong--were on hand at Alfredian Park to watch us face Merstham, a Level Eight team (like us) from the Isthmian League. I wish we'd given them a better show.

Captain Jack Thewlis was caught napping, and Tom Cross made him pay for it by scoring an easy goal. We went into the halftime break down 1-0, but that changed early in the second stanza--and not for the better. Terry Hessenthaler slid in clumsily to try to strip the ball from Lewis Calvert in the penalty area, and the referee had no choice but to point to the spot. Cross dispatched the penalty with ease.

Hessenthaler had to leave the game; he'd injured himself while awkwardly challenging Calvert. I brought on Steve Judge, and within a minute, he chopped down a Merstham attacker right in front of goal. Another penalty, and Cross completed his hat trick.

After the match, I told the team, in no uncertain terms, that their performance was unacceptable, and I apologized to our supporters in my post-match media conference. The fact that we're out of the FA Cup isn't the issue. The way we went out is.

Earlier in the week, I spoke to the chairman, Declan Turner, about finding a senior affiliate for the club. It took some persuasion. but Declan finally agreed to my request, and now he's looking for a suitable club.

29 September 2014

Perhaps it was the shoddy defensive work he saw from us against Merstham that persuaded Stuart O'Grady to look around for some defensive reinforcement. The DoF found a left back called Rob Hunt who was looking for a club, and offered him a deal. I approved it, and Rob joined the club today.

He's 23, and he has the determination I look for in a player. He's also fast, hard-working, and technically adept, especially when dribbling the football. He's on £110/week, a high wage for our club, but I think he'll be worth it.

30 September 2014

Wantage Town v. Yate Town

First Division

We went into this match in 13th position, while the visitors from Yate were sitting 17th. Our new man, Rob Hunt, was at left back, with Jack Thewlis moving to center half--where he's probably a better fit. Jack played well, as did everyone else in Wantage green and white stripes.

Midfielder Paul Cooke got his first goal for us, a well-placed shot from 19 yards out. Andrew Pavey returned to the eleven today, and he ran onto a long ball from Steve Judge and hammered it in, and we coasted home from there.

So closely packed are the teams in the middle of the First Division table that our three points propelled us all the way back up to eighth.

3 October 2014

I received my monthly review from the board, and it was a good one. We’re paying more than our wage budget, but the board didn’t seem troubled by that fact.

Today we added another £55/week to the wage bill, which is the salary we’re paying to our new right back, Brad Smyth. He’s described as an “enthusiastic full back,” which seems like a pretty good assessment to me, too. Brad doesn’t have great pace, but he can run all day long; in fact, he was a schoolboy champion at 1600 meters. Determined, brave, and just aggressive enough, he’s the kind of lad anyone would want in his team; Stuart O’Grady is doing a very good job of finding players with the personality I want to build this team around. Brad will move into the first team right away.

4 October 2014

Tiverton Town v. Wantage Town

First Division

The coach ride to Tiverton was a long one, a little over two hours to the west.

Our first goal came when a Tiverton defender brought Kris Hutchinson down in the penalty area, and a young referee called Andrew Sainsbury showed his backbone by pointing to the spot, despite the howls of protest from the home supporters. Jack Hodge stepped up, sent the ‘keeper the wrong way, and confidently fired it home.

Chris Belmar broke free twice in the first half. The first time, he sent it fizzing just wide. Jack Thewlis gave him another chance, hitting a long ball for the pacey winger to run onto. Chris made no mistake this time, and sliced it inside the ‘keeper’s near post.

Quickly, however, Tiverton leveled the score through a double by Dave Sedden. Both shots went in off Jenk Cummings’ gloves. The score stayed level until 78’, when substitute Mitchell Green sent the small, but vocal crowd into orbit with a beautiful headed goal.

Some of the fans were heading for the car park when we were awarded a free kick from about 30 yards out. Chay Ashton took it, but he mis-hit the ball and sent it into the wall. Fortunately, it caromed back toward Hutchinson, who corralled it near the penalty spot. Kris spotted Terry Hessenthaler to his left, hanging out with nary a Tiverton defender around. Hess one-timed Hutchinson’s pass, putting it neatly between the ‘keeper’s glove and the left post for the equalizer.

A group of fifteen or so made the trek to Devon to watch us, and they were clearly delighted by the outcome. Among them were Terry Hessenthaler’s fiancée, Emily, and the friend she wanted me to meet. Her name is Catherine Martin. She’s petite, probably 5’3” or so, with light brown, wavy hair and clear blue eyes.

The fact I remember this much about her is significant, since we met only a few minutes after a tense match that completely occupied my attentions.

I thanked her and Emily for coming all this way to watch the match. She smiled—breathtakingly—and confessed it was her first away match, but she also promised it wouldn’t be her last.

The return trip—another two and a half hours on the coach—gave me time to think about all kinds of things, including Catherine.

6 October 2014

It’s clear to me that Stuart O’Grady isn’t going to be satisfied with a team that merely manages to stay up in the First Division. He’ll stretch the wage budget—and then some—if he finds a player he likes. Today, we signed central midfielder Ryan Wardle, a 26-year-old free agent.

Wardle is a good friend of Liverpool and England captain Ryan Burton, whom he got to know while playing in Liverpool’s youth system as a boy. Our Ryan is more defensively-minded than the Reds’ number eight, but he’s steady enough on the ball and makes smart decisions. We’re paying him £130/week, and for that, we need him to be a boss in the middle of the park.

11 October 2014

Wantage Town v. Cinderford Town

First Division

Our newest acquisition, Ryan Wardle, made a quick and positive impression on the Alfredian Park faithful, playing Jack Hodge in for a pretty goal. Andrew Pavey also scored, nodding home a Chris Belmar cross. Our victory brought us up to sixth place, with a 5-3-3 record in 11 league matches.

That morning, I learned about our new affiliation with Torquay United of the Conference National. They’ll be paying us just over £6000 per year, and we’ll get to host them for a friendly match each summer. It also appears they’re willing to allow their players to come to Wantage on loan. I made arrangements with the first of these, midfielder Charlie Kindley, who will join us for two months. Charlie runs and passes well, and plays with some edge to his game. He could benefit from paying close attention to the more determined players in our team.

14 October 2014

Egham Town v. Wantage Town

Southern League Cup, First Round

We were one of only six teams that had to play their way out of the first round of this tourney, and we got a fairly difficult draw, away to a solid side.

The Sarnies came out with a very defensive game plan, placing two defensive midfielders in front of their back four. We solved them quickly, however. Chris Belmar touched a long pass from Kris Hutchinson into the clear, broke in on the Egham goalkeeper, and slid it home. Our defense took it from there, and we headed home 1-0 winners.

Jenk Cummings went back between the posts, and played well, as did skipper Jack Thewlis. Charlie Kindley made his Wantage bow, and showed a willingness to get stuck in.

The Second Round will feature more than 60 teams, and we’ve been drawn away to Poole Town, a larger club, on 25 November.

After the match, we announced the signing of another new player: defensive midfielder Brett Wood. An aggressive, hard-working player and a solid, sure tackler, Brett is the very model of a ball-winning midfielder for the First Division. I don’t usually utilize that role, but Wood’s skill set might make me rethink this decision. He’s earning £130/week, so I better make good use of him.

At some point, I have to think the board will call me to task for the wage bill, which is now more than £200 a week more than the budget calls for. How much of this is going to be chalked up to Stuart O’Grady’s decisions, and how much will I have to answer for?

15 October 2014

Another day, another new player. This time, it’s a lad I personally scouted and signed.

His name is Mick Marks. He’s 19, he plays in the middle of the pitch, and he is a Model Professional. Mick is a well-rounded player, good enough to be a backup for the first team already, with the potential to be quite good someday. Still, it’s his intangibles that make him special. Our staff say he is a “complete role model for younger players” in the making.

For £30/week, I’ll take that anytime.

18 October 2014

Wantage Town v. Bridgwater Town

First Division

On a dismal, rainy night, we played football that was as ugly as the weather. Bridgwater scored when one of their lads headed off the bar, only to have the ball fall straight downward while our ‘keeper, hapless Jenk Cummings, was scrambling around on all fours trying to capture it. Their man got there first and tapped it in easily.

One of their men was sent off for a second yellow card on 87 minutes, but we couldn’t capitalize. What was worse, Chris Belmar gashed his leg and will miss the next three or four weeks.

We dropped to 10th, still holding our own in the midst of a group of very similar clubs. If one of us can find some consistency, we’ll shoot up the table; if one of us slips even a bit more, we’ll be battling relegation. This is not a situation for the faint of heart.

20 October 2014

Stuart O’Grady’s renovation of our club continues. Our newest arrival is Courtney Hinchcliffe, a veteran midfielder who can play on the left or in the center. Courtney is best in more offensively-minded roles and, like most of our new men, has the mental outlook of a winner.

When (if?) this group of players begins to gel, they have a chance to be a very good side. They certainly shouldn’t beat themselves with a lack of commitment or toughness.

If one more player comes into the team, we'll almost certainly have the highest wage bill in the First Division. At the beginning of the season, we were squarely in the middle of the league in this category.

25 October 2014

Shortwood United v. Wantage Town

First Division

This match started out much better than the last. Left back Rob Hunt demonstrated his highly regarded dribbling ability today, striding past his marker and crossing for Jack Hodge, who volleyed it in. The Woods pulled level soon after halftime and, as the clock neared 90 minutes, it looked like we’d share the honours.

Then, our Charlie Kindley came together with their Martin Foster at the edge of the box. The referee—Ian Smedley, I later learned—pointed at the spot, and I immediately howled my outrage. I don’t usually say too much at the officials during matches; I’m quite young for a manager, and I probably wouldn’t gain very much by pitching a ruckus. This time, however, I made my feelings known, and very loudly.

Foster took the penalty himself and scored. Andrew Pavey had a decent chance in stoppage time, but sent it just wide.

I couldn’t be too hard on the lads after this one. They deserved a draw, and Smedley took that away from them as much as Shortwood did.

We lost more than the match today, too. Ryan Wardle, our poor man’s Ryan Burton, hurt his hamstring and won’t be in action for another five or six weeks.

29 October 2014

Our new affiliation with Torquay United has borne more fruit. They’re loaning us a dandy young forward, Nathan Doughty, for the rest of the season.

Nathan is 17, and already possesses an assassin’s touch in front of goal—at least by First Division standards. He has lots of pace, and his resolute nature adds even more quality to our already-determined side. He doesn’t show much inclination to pass the ball, so he’s going to be on the pitch to do one thing—put the ball in the onion bag.

1 November 2014

Wantage Town v. AFC Totton

FA Trophy, First Preliminary Round

Both clubs made their first-ever appearance in the FA Trophy in this match. The match was a chippy one, with seven players—three for us, four for them—drawing yellow cards.

We scored first, when Rob Hunt floated a cross to the far post, into a clump of players from both sides who all went up for it. One of their men headed it into his own net. A tiny little winger called Matthew Cox pulled the Stags level on 86, so we made plans to do it again at their grounds in four days.

My evaluation from the board went very well again. My job status remains “very secure,” despite our overspending on wages.

4 November 2014

AFC Totton v. Wantage Town

FA Trophy, First Preliminary Round Replay

Surprisingly, the Stags decided to sit back in their own end and wait for them to come to us. It took a while, but Nathan Doughty eventually got the goal that put us through; he reacted quickly when a Totton defender poked the ball away from Brad Smyth and popped it in.

We’ve been drawn away to Burnham for the First Qualifying Round.

8 November 2014

Ryan Barnes is turning out to be a very good coach. He came to us with a reputation for coaching the defensive arts, and he’s developed a real talent for teaching tactics. Ryan also gives better team talks than anyone in our back room, myself included. At least, that's what I think. The players seem to respond well to him, too.

Ryan holds a Continental C badge, and he’s going to begin studying for his B license. The club will cover the costs of the course—about £1200—and it ought to take him about six months to complete it. I'm starting to think about whom I'd like to keep around (assuming I'm offered a contract for 15/16 myself) and Ryan is certainly on that list.

11 November 2014

Bashley v. Wantage Town

First Division

We went off to New Milton on a horrible, rainy Tuesday evening to face the Bash, who are seventh in the league to our 12th. Glenn McDonnell made the night more miserable still, touching in Jeff Cross’s corner right before the hour mark. Substitute Mickey Donnellan doubled their advantage by skipping past Ian Taylor and hammering a shot off the post and past Stephen Sawyer. Taylor was at right back because Brad Smyth had departed with a badly gashed arm which will sideline him for two weeks or so.

I didn’t feel much like smiling, but as I was walking to the coach, I heard a sweet-sounding female voice call out to me. It was Catherine Martin. She and Emily had braved the downpour and the less-than-spellbinding football, and then stuck around enough to speak to me after the match.

Catherine was adorably bedraggled in her Barbour jacket and Hunter boots, with a Wantage green and white scarf draped around her neck. I thanked her for coming out and supporting us, and she smiled so brilliantly I almost forgot our defeat, the rain, the wind whipping off the Channel, and the prospect of nearly two hours on the coach ride back north.

15 November 2014

Wantage Town v. Burnham

FA Trophy, First Qualifying Round

The Blues are a Level Seven team, but we caught them on a poor run of form and, drawn at home, I figured we might have a shot at an upset. For the first time all season, I sent the team out in a 4-4-2, with starlet Nathan Doughty pairing veteran Andrew Pavey on top.

The veteran struck quickly, slotting home a Rob Hunt cross in the seventh minute. Doughty had a goal disallowed for offside a few minutes later. We were playing well, attacking with verve. At the half hour, we got our second goal, a pretty sequence of passes culminating in an exchange between the strikers that left Doughty a nearly open net to fire into.

The supporters loved it, chanting and singing, forgetting the drizzly weather. After the half, captain Jack Thewlis swept home an outswinging corner from Courtney Hinchcliffe, triggering a new wave of joy from the stands.

Burnham pulled one back through danger man Glyn Wozny. Jenk Cummings ventured out from his goal and was burned; in a close match, this mistake could be crucial, but not today. I replaced Pavey with a defensive midfielder, Dean Hunter, and we closed out the match.

After the match, defender Liam Piper came to me and complained about the fact he wasn't playing regularly. He's simply not good enough for our first team. He didn't want to hear that, and went on about how, today, players have more power than they did before. He also made a big mistake, telling me how he'd make life miserable for me.

Liam is no longer part of Wantage Town Football Club.

22 November 2014

Wantage Town v. Clevedon Town

First Division

Josh Simmons is a genuinely good guy. I got to know him when he was on the coaching staff at Bishop's Stortford, and he was hired to manage Clevedon Town at the beginning of the season. Things hadn't gone well for him, however, and his job was in jeopardy when he brought his team to Alfredian Park today.

Unfortunately for him (and fortunately for me), things went well for the home side. Charlie Kindley played in Nathan Doughty, who fired hard from the edge of the area to put us ahead late in first half stoppage time. We nearly doubled our advantage in the second half, as Doughty broke free and hit the upright.

We had been far from dominant; we had the ball only half the time, which isn't usual for us, and they tested our goalie, Stephen Sawyer, three times while we challenged their man only twice. Still, the result cost Josh Simmons his job. The Clevedon board sacked him after the match.

I feel bad for him, but that's the way of things these days. Unless there were things going on behind the scenes I didn't know about, it's hard for me to understand. Clevedon were tapped to be a mid-table team. Yes, they're barely above the relegation zone now, but we've played only 15 matches, for heaven's sake!

I might give Josh a bit of time, and give him a call to see if there's anything I can do for him.

25 November 2014

Wantage Town v. Barton Rovers

Southern League Cup, Second Round

I was spoiled by a full week between matches, and that luxury ended tonight, with a flourish. The night was cold and wet, not the sort of evening when you enjoy having a match go into extra time. We played 122 minutes of football, and fortunately, we came away with a result.

Our physio, Steven Knowles, had bad news for me the day before. Midfielder Kris Hutchinson had twisted his knee against Clevedon, and it was worse than he'd thought at first. Kris won't be available until nearly Christmas now. Good thing we brought in that bunch of midfielders!

Our scouting report told us Rovers were vulnerable to the long ball, so I went away from my usual preferred style and told the team to play more direct football. We were very lively from the opening whistle again tonight and, with any luck, we'd have been up two or three by halftime.

As it was, we were still mired in a goal-less draw until 64, when Jack Hodge teed up Andrew Pavey for a low, hard shot that kissed the upright and went in. This time, however, we were unable to close the deal, and Rovers equalized in the waning moments of the half.

Hodge ended up playing the hero's role tonight. He directed a cross from Jack Thewlis past a diving Liam Thompson in the second minute of stoppage time, and put us through to the Third Round. Hodge is settling in well on the right wing, after playing as a striker for much of the first weeks of the season.

The fans like the strong showing we're making in the cups, so I'm going to see how long we can make these runs last.

I had accepted an invitation to go out with Terry, Emily, and Catherine for a while after the match, but Terry ended up canceling the plans. He played the entire match and didn't feel like he'd be much fun. About an hour later, my phone buzzed. I didn't recognize the number, but I smiled when I read the text...

Sorry we didn't get to talk this evening. Was looking forward to it. Catherine

I hope Mr Hessenthaler isn't regularly in the habit of giving my number out to supporters, but this time, I think I'll forgive him.

29 November 2014

Wantage Town v. Shortwood United

FA Trophy, Second Qualifying Round

Four nights later, we were back at Alfredian Park for another cup tie. This time the opponents were Shortwood United, with a berth in the FA Trophy proper at stake.

The Woods are in our league, and you might remember our match at their grounds in October. We lost that one when a horrible penalty was called against Charlie Kindley. No such misfortune came our way this time. The Shortwood goalkeeper, Benjamin Dix, made a splendid stop to deny Jack Hodge on 72, the best save I've seen in one of our matches this season. Not long after, we scored a goal that was every bit as attractive as Dix's save.

Ian Taylor is not usually known for his offensive flair. The veteran found himself with the ball on the right wing, spread it left to Ryan Wardle, and ran to the corner of the penalty area. Wardle gave it back, and Ian shot low and hard at the far post. Dix had no chance, and just like that, we were through.

Ian's goal was worth £4000 to the club, the prize money we received from our victory.

1 December 2014

The board are still very happy with the job I'm doing, but they did bring up the matter of the wage bill. It's hard to feel like I need to rectify this problem, since their overall opinion of my work is so favorable.

Relaxing in my office after the meeting, I decided to take a look at the tables from around England--a luxury I don't often allow myself, since I have plenty to occupy myself in the First Division of the Southern League.

Manchester City are top of the Premier League, on 34 points. They're five clear of runners-up Chelsea. My own favorite club, Everton, are smack in the middle of the table in 11th. At the opposite end, poor Leicester are still without a victory in 13 matches, and have only three points. It looks like it will be back to the Championship for them.

Fulham, Sheffield Wednesday, and Derby are going at it, hammer and tongs, in the Championship, while Doncaster Rovers lead Bristol City by a single point in League One. Northampton and Shrewsbury are equally well-matched in League Two.

In the Conference National, Braintree are four clear at the top of the table, while our parent club, Torquay, are eighth, eleven points off the league. My old club, Bishop's Stortford, find themselves 14th in the Conference South, and might be in for a relegation battle come springtime.

3 December 2014

Bishop's Cleeve v. Wantage Town

First Division

Tonight, we went to Kayte Lane to face Scott Ricketts' Skinners. I have a lot of respect for Scott, who is especially good at identifying and managing young players. If I were running a big team, I'd offer him a job as my Head of Youth Development.

We usually do a better job of retaining possession than we did tonight. The only goal of the game came early on, when a feisty young center back called Tony Osei blasted Charlie Kindley with a vigor that would have done Graeme Souness proud. Jack Hodge's spot kick made it 1-0.

The delightfully named Omega Mao leveled the score, whizzing a drive right through Stephen Sawyer's gloves. I wish one of our goalkeepers would take control of the first team assignment. Every time I think I've got a true number one, he gives up a soft goal like this one and makes me have my doubts.

I'd have much preferred three points, but I'll take one on a night when we play this listlessly. And, that point was enough to bring us up to 11th.

4 December 2014

Being manager of Wantage Town might not seem like much to some people, but to the students at Greylake Preparatory School, it makes me somewhat of a celebrity. I'm the closest thing they know to a professional footballer, and while it's not the Premier League, to them, it's a big deal. They love looking at the pieces of memorabilia I keep in my office--a signed shirt from my days with Bishop's Stortford, a program with the signatures of several Everton players I got on a boyhood trip to Goodison Park. Now, some of them have started following the fortunes of the Alfredians.

To these young football fans, a player like Jack Hodge can be a more accessible hero than John Howcroft, Manchester City and England striker. The stars of Coventry City, the local League One club--players like Jamie Collins and Michael Veloza--might be seen around town sometimes, but there's nobody in their school who can say he knows them.

A few of the faculty members are fans, too. One of the Year Three teachers, a perky brunette called Eleanor Wright, is a life-long Liverpool supporter who enjoys teasing me about being an Evertonian. Her team is in the Europe places, while mine is mid-table and falling, but to her credit, she's not making fun of me too much about that. Instead, she's become somewhat intrigued with the fortunes of Wantage Town.

Eleanor's boyfriend, a bloke called Tom, says she's being silly. Why would anyone want to follow a "rubbish team from somewhere down South," as he called us? I've met Tom at a faculty party, and I was as unimpressed with him as he apparently is with the club I manage. He was loud, and he wasn't half as funny as he seemed to think he was.

Today, I told Eleanor I'd get her and Tom tickets for a match sometime. She said she'd rather take one of the other teachers. I couldn't help thinking she'd have a lot more fun.

6 December 2014

Mangotsfield United v. Wantage Town

First Division

The Mangos came into this match on a good run of form, knocking on the door of the playoff places. Not surprisingly, they began the match on the front foot. Stuart Hunter flighted in a free kick to put them on top in the 20th minute, and less than ten minutes later, he set up Ceri Jones for his 10th goal of the campaign. Just like that, we were in a two-goal hole.

I'd sent the team out in our "old" 4-1-2-2-1, but at this point, I went back to the 4-4-2 that has been working well for the last few weeks.

We clawed one back in the second half, as Nathan Doughty ran onto Rob Hunt's long ball and slid it in at Gareth Bennett's near post. Doughty tested Bennett again on 72, but the Mangos 'keeper made a fine save.

We showed tonight that we're still some way from the standard of the better clubs in our league. We fell back to 14th in the table, and I'm wondering if that is truly our level, after all.

12 December 2014

Wantage Town v. Leamington

FA Trophy, First Round

We said goodbye to Charlie Kindley this morning, as he is headed back to Torquay after refusing to extend his loan stay with us. He seems awfully cheeky for a 17-year-old; after all, he was getting regular first team football here, and he won't get that with them. Charlie had two assists in six appearances, and played to a 6.78 rating.

Without him, we took on a tough opponent: Leamington are 12th in the Conference North, two levels above us. They took the match seriously, including eight first team players and three good youngsters in their side.

Against competition of this calibre, a goal-less draw is a good outcome for us, and that's what we got tonight. The Brakes outshot us, 17-7, and we found it difficult to play out of the back against them, the way we do against most First Division clubs.

We earned a replay, at the New Windmill Ground on the 16th.

16 December 2014

Leamington v. Wantage Town

FA Trophy, First Round Replay

The Brakes came out in a 3-5-2, a formation we'd never seen before. I wondered how we'd deal with it.

Four minutes into the match, we took the lead when Jack Thewlis swept home Mick Marks' corner. Stephen Sawyer preserved our advantage--for a while, at least--by saving beautifully from Steve Banks, but Banks came back and put Leamington level with a strike on the half-hour mark.

After the halftime break, Leamington defender Paul Fenn took Andrew Pavey down just inside the penalty area. Jack Hodge coolly converted the spot kick, and a decent-sized crowd at the New Windmill Ground fell strangely silent...except for the knot of traveling supporters in green and white who were celebrating in their corner of the stand.

Not long after, Sawyer made another acrobatic save to deny Banks again. The North Yarmouth lad hit a sizzling volley that Banks parried away at his far post.

The Brakes kept coming, and on 87, substitute Daniel Hunt evened the score. I thought Hunt was offside at first, but after watching the video, I realize the assistant referee was right to keep the flag down. There was no such question about what happened next. Another sub, wide man Luke Barlow, crossed for Daniel Hunt, and he tucked it away with style.

Just like that, we're out of the FA Trophy, but it's hard to be too upset about the way it happened. We forced a replay against a much bigger team, and gave them all they could handle.

The bad news came from the physio. Nathan Doughty hobbled off late in the second half with what seemed at the time to be a minor tweak to his ankle. It turns out he'll be out for six weeks! Nathan has five goals in eleven matches with us. We're not that potent offensively with him, so without him...

20 December 2014

Evesham United v. Wantage Town

First Division

The Robins are third in the league, so we knew this would be a stern test, and the touts listed us as huge underdogs. Some lucky punter made a nice handful of cash if he bet on us today.

Brett Wood opened the scoring for us. He took a nice pass from Chris Belmar in front of goal and tucked it away. Late in the first half, left winger Tom Smith delivered a ball into the box for Jack Hodge, and Jack deposited it neatly inside Ben Dent’s right post.

We got a real party piece after the halftime break. A Robins defender got in front of a shot by Hodge, and the carom fell to John Franks. The assistant manager/center half punched it in past a prone Dent, who gamely tried to bat it wide.

Stephen Toney pulled one back for Evesham after a brilliant run, but it wasn’t enough, and we walked off 3-1 winners.

That evening, we gathered for our annual Christmas party. After the afternoon’s result, the mood was jubilant, as befits the season. Terry Hessenthaler somehow managed to snag someone’s guest ticket and gave it to Catherine Martin. I’d never seen Catherine in any setting other than a football match, and I’ll simply say she cleans up very, very well.

23 December 2014

Wantage Town v. North Leigh

First Division

Our final match before Christmas didn’t begin well. We fell behind in the first two minutes, but to the lads’ credit, they regrouped, fought back, and got the result.

Our first goal was a lucky one. We moved the ball around nicely for a while, until Tom Smith launched a speculative effort—half cross, half shot—that completely fooled their teenage custodian, Reis Jupp. Poor Jupp came out, went back, leaped, and missed the looping ball, which tucked itself neatly beneath the crossbar.

We played very pretty football in the second half, and got a goal which reflected the quality of our play. Smith was the hero once again, as he lofted a cross from the left wing that bounced right into the swinging right foot of Jack Hodge. Jack netted his fourteenth goal of the season with ease. It turned out Yaxley boss Richard Jones was there to take a look at Smitty. No doubt he liked what he saw.

Remember Eleanor Wright, my co-worker? She kept her promise to come watch us, and drove down from Coventry with a friend. She said we looked awfully good for a 16th place team.

24 December 2014

Football clubs don’t stop doing business just because the holidays are here. Today, we took about a hundred off our wage bill by letting goalkeeper Peter Pavey and a midfielder called Andy Dunk go on free transfers. Pavey is off to Alresford, in the Wessex Premier, and Dunk joins Gornal.

Both men will get playing time with their new clubs they wouldn’t get with the Alfredians, and I wish them well.

27 December 2014

Wantage Town v. Taunton Town

First Division

We paid special attention to defending set pieces for this match, and for good reason. The Peacocks scored off a corner to take the lead at the hour mark.

Fortunately, we proved once again what a resilient club we’re becoming. For the second straight match, a long diagonal ball launched at the box from distance somehow turned into a goal. This time, the beneficiary was Terry Hessenthaler, whose effort sneaked in at the left post.

Two minutes later, center back Brian Hamilton tried to head the ball back to his goalkeeper, and didn’t get enough of the ball. It skipped off his noggin and into the path of a delighted Andrew Pavey. The veteran forward beat the alarmed goalie and gave us a lead we didn’t relinquish.

The only negative was an injury to Jack Hodge, whose painfully sprained wrist will keep him off the pitch for two weeks.

1 January 2015

As the New Year began, the Southern League First Division table looked like this:

TEAM              GP   W   D   L   GF  PTS
1  Wimborne          21  11   6   4   15   39
----------------------------------------------
2  Evesham           21  11   5   5   10   38
3  Mangotsfield      21  10   2   9    6   36
4  Fleet             21  10   6   5    3   36
5  Merthyr           21   9   5   7    4   33   
6  Bashley           21  10   2   9   -1   32
7  Yate              21   7  10   4   12   31
8  Swindon           20   9   4   7    9   31
9  Wantage           20   9   4   7    3   31
10  Stratford         21   9   3   9   15   30
11  Totton            21   9   3   9    4   30
12  Sholing           21   7   9   5    1   30
13  Taunton           21   8   6   7    1   30
14  Didcot            21   7   7   7   -2   28        
15  Bridgwater        21   7   7   7   -4   28
16  Bishop's Cleeve   21   7   6   8   -1   27
17  North Leigh       21   8   3  10   -6   27
18  Tiverton          21   6   6   9  -13   24
19  Shortwood         21   4   7  10  -12   19
20  Larkhall          21   5   4  12  -17   19
21  Cinderford        21   5   3  13  -20   18
22  Clevedon          21   4   4  13  -15   16

For a club that had been predicted to battle all year long to avoid relegation, the season had gone very well so far. We're only two points behind the playoff places, with a game in hand! The pessimist would notice we're only four points clear of 17th place, but I prefer optimism myself.

I got to spend Christmas with my parents, brother, and sister and their families. I drove down to Wantage for a match with Taunton Town on the 27th. Then, it was back to Coventry for more family time.

My sister and brother have two spouses and five kids between them, so I suppose it was natural for Mum and Dad to notice the contrast between their familial bliss and my singlehood. Mum wasn't subtle at all. "Are you ever going to get married and have a family?" she asked...at the dinner table, of course. "Do you even have a girlfriend?"

Right now, I'm finding the task of managing a football team while working part-time at school to be as much as I can handle. I don't have the time, nor do I have the energy, for a relationship right now.

Or do I? I confess; there are times when I wouldn't mind being part of a couple. I've never considered myself anything close to a ladies' man. I'm fairly shy in social situations, something my players wouldn't guess about me. I'm not going to be hitting the clubs every weekend, looking for hook-ups, either. I suppose for now, I'm content to let what happens, happen.

Archived