'Second Striker' - question about real life examples.

Hi,

My favourite formation in this FM is flat 4-4-2 and I'm trying various combinations of this style. My main concern is my strikers duo. While my attacking duty strikers are performing well in almost any role combinations, the problem is the so called "second striker". This is the definition from Wikipedia:

Deep-lying forwards have a long history in the game, but the terminology to describe their playing activity has varied over the years. Originally such players were termed inside forwards, or deep-lying centre-forwards. More recently, two more variations of this old type of player have developed: the second, or shadow, or support, or auxiliary striker and, in what is in fact a distinct position unto its own, the Number 10,[4] Diego Maradona who is often described as an attacking midfielder or the playmaker.

The second striker position is a loosely defined and most often misapplied description of a player positioned somewhere between the out-and-out striker, whether he is a target-man or more of a poacher, and the Number 10 attacking midfielder, while possibly showing some of the characteristics of both. In fact, a coined term, the "nine-and-a-half", has been an attempt to become a standard in defining the position.[5] Conceivably, a Number 10 can alternate as a second-striker provided that he is also a prolific goalscorer, otherwise a mobile forward with good technical ability (dribbling and ball control), who can both score and create opportunities for a less versatile centre-forward, is more suited. Second or support strikers do not tend to get as involved in the orchestration of attacks as the Number 10, nor do they bring as many other players into play, since they do not share the burden of responsibility, functioning predominantly as assist providers.[6]

Well I never managed my support duty striker to work like he should (I like this "nine-and-a-half" term) . Sometimes they score not enough, sometimes they don't have enough assists. I started thinking about real life examples of striker partnerships and I'm curious how would you try to recreate some of them:

-Gullit-Van Basten

-Beardsley-Lineker

-Yorke-Cole

-Mancini-Vialli

but especially these two:

Rivaldo-Ronaldo and Del Piero-Trezeguet.

Del Piero-Trezeguet is probably typical combination of creator and scorer, but I'm not sure about the roles. Del Piero was pretty mobile, moving around the penalty area, creating chances for Trezeguet, who was static, mostly waiting for the ball. Trequarista-Poacher? Or maybe I'm wrong? What about setting two attack duties in FC slots? Won't they be isolated?

Rivaldo-Ronaldo: I have no idea. I was thinking about two Complete Forwards (one support, one attack duty), but It would be nice if you give me any tips :) Also about other duos mentioned earlier. I'm not asking about my favourite partnership (Bergkamp-Henry) because It's already explained in "Invincibles" thread.

Thanks.

In terms of the definition of 'second striker' that you've given above, I can't think of many that would fit the description. Gullit, Beardsley, Mancini, Rivaldo and Del Piero were all very definitely orchestrators. I think Yorke is a decent shout, as would be someone like Raul, perhaps, certainly if you paired him with Morientes.

Essentially, you're looking for someone who would ordinarily play as a number nine, but circumstances (ie, the presence of another number nine) dictate that they take on a slightly different role. Van Persie could be another candidate.

In FM terms, this is almost certainly the 'Deep Lying Forward' role. A Treq will look to dictate the play. He's very much an old school number 10. A DLF won't be the prime creative focus of your team, but if the stars align, he has the eye for the pass, and will look to play in his strike partner or anyone else in a good position.

Depends on who you put with them. I'm not saying it's their best role, but I would imagine the likes of Rooney, Aguero and Sanchez could all do the job well enough. That said, the 'creator/scorer' combo has all but disappeared from the upper echelons of today's game. Teams that play two up front tend to be 'Defensive Forward/A.N.Other.'

Archived