Building a Legacy in a Small Nation

Personally, no.

I had considered Honved for my final FM15 file, prior to purchasing FM17. However, I consider it very much a long-term project game, and my leisurely speed of play invariably means I tend not to finish these games.

The Hungarian league is weakly-rated on 2.5 stars (at least on FM15), so I suspect you would need to be quite minimalist with your acquisitions, lending itself to the 'promote from within' style of longterm management that would characterise a 'true' Honved experience. The Jozsef Bozsik stadion (named after one of the Mighty Magyar legends) only holds 10,000, so expansion looks feasible once you start to build the club and reputation of the league.

A slightly off-piste suggestion; Argentina. The league is a bloated 30-team affair, with more choice meaning less repetition. The talent-factories of Boca and River ensure competition, the league always has a raft of quality players, and you have an extended choice of teams to build up to conquer Argentina, and then South America itself. All whilst staving off the European giants for your better players. I could suggest Argentinos Juniors; Maradona is always associated with Boca, but he only spent one season there in the early-80s and started his career at Argentinos, spending four full seasons there to one at Boca, before moving to Europe. The Argentinos stadium is named after him - something to bring a little context and history to the file.

The Belgian pro-league could also be worth a look? A nation on the up internationally, with a domestic league rated in the 3rd tier of the European footballing pantheon - around the same as Croatia/Romania/Czech Republic. Anderlecht and Genk should offer solid domestic competition and the league rating should give you enough opportunity to trade with similarly-rated leagues and perhaps the bottom-end of the 2nd tier (the Eredivise etc) whilst you build your club and the league rating up. The Europa League will be a challenge but not insurmountable, and then you can push on to greater things.

Thanks Andy for another great reply. I haven't looked outside Europe, as for some reason I always enjoy the challenge of breaking into the Champions League or Europa League, but I'll look at Argentina and see if I get the appeal from a team. I have looked at Belgium, only briefly though so may take another look and see if there's a team there that I could manage.

Cheers again.

Any of these lesser European leagues you'll run into a problem. You'll have a challenge for the title the first few years, but once you get good enough to actually challenge for the Champions League (possibly after many seasons), the AI clubs won't follow you and the domestic league becomes really easy. It's an annoying problem I've run into in the past whilst trying to do a similar challenge, even in some of the slightly better leagues like Holland.

Another league that I'm not sure why nobody mentioned is Belgium. Anderlecht, Standard, Club Brugge should provide some good challenge in the first few years, and maybe the great youth academies in the country can boost these clubs a little in the future to offset a bit that problem of outgrowing the league.

Thanks for the suggestion and advice mate. I understand what you are saying about the lesser league and know after a fair few seasons the league will probably become far too easy. Having always managed in some of the better known leagues, I've never really had a good crack at an unusual country, hence why I'm looking at a lower league, but have taken your comment on board and will put it in the cons list that I'm making to help me decide.

Thanks again.

managing Ergotolis in Greece. just managed to buy out the 26k stadium in the top tier (started avoiding relegation from 2nd) qualified once for europa league so far. missed out on the group stages on a last minute goal. Olympiakos storm the league every year so hoping to always have a challenge with them. AEK and Panathanaikos aren't a world behind them either. think its 2 champions league places and up to 5th europa league qualifies. or winning greek cup qualifies! the regen standard is good and selling.

managing Ergotolis in Greece. just managed to buy out the 26k stadium in the top tier (started avoiding relegation from 2nd) qualified once for europa league so far. missed out on the group stages on a last minute goal. Olympiakos storm the league every year so hoping to always have a challenge with them. AEK and Panathanaikos aren't a world behind them either. think its 2 champions league places and up to 5th europa league qualifies. or winning greek cup qualifies! the regen standard is good and selling.

Ok thanks, will check Greece out too. Cheers mate.

Hi All,

Just want to say a massive thank you for all the brilliant replies I've received so far. Never expected so many and am very grateful for all of them. Please keep the suggestions and advice coming, as I won't be starting my new save until the final update has been released.

Many Thanks, Andy

I've never managed in Hungary (or coincidentally, any of those other 3 nations, which is strange as I've played in a lot of different nations in Europe!) but I know a few that have in the Career Updates forum and in the Challenges forum. Currently Deltablue's having a career there with Vasas, you might want to check that out to get a feel for how the league plays out. :)

I've never managed in Hungary (or coincidentally, any of those other 3 nations, which is strange as I've played in a lot of different nations in Europe!) but I know a few that have in the Career Updates forum and in the Challenges forum. Currently Deltablue's having a career there with Vasas, you might want to check that out to get a feel for how the league plays out. :)

Thanks mate. Will check it out. :)

• 1 month later...

Archived