Derby County FC: 2020/21 onwards

RSJ

EDITED: 24 Jan 2015

Foreward

The aim now for this thread/career is to:

1) win a World Cup with England

2) better our neighbours' (and indeed Mr Cloughs') efforts of winning 2 European Cups

The story so far.

Ive had 1 or 2 threads on here. One was with Derby, i didn't make the play-offs first season and was ultimately sacked. I then had an Unemployment Challenge thread which crashed and died on me. After the 2 fails, i went to just purely being a reader of these forums rather then participating. Whilst reading through some brilliant threads (forameuss' for example) ive never lost the bug to want to write my own. I've a had new Derby save running and having just completed my 6th season in charge, i felt id invite you join me on my journey - whats different about this thread is we pick up the story in 2021. Over the next few posts i will spend time bringing you up to speed with my save and then we will revert to pre & post season updates :)

Id just like to say now; ive played FM since the beginning but only now am i really learning whats its all about and i know i have a long way to go.

Hope you all enjoy it, i look forward to interacting with you all along the way. COYR

Career Summary

[b][u]Season[/u][/b]               [b][u]Team [/u][/b]                [b][u]League[/u][/b]                 [b][u]Position[/u][/b]                  [b][u]Achievements[/u][/b]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16              Derby County       The Championship          1st                       League Champions
2016/17              Derby County       Premier League            11th
2017/18              Derby County       Premier League            11th                      MLS All Star Game Winners, FA Cup Winners 
2018/19              Derby County       Premier League            5th
2019/20              Derby County       Premier League            13th
2020/21              Derby County       Premier League            1st                       League Champions, FA Cup Winners, MOTY

Trophy Cabinet

[b]Premier League Winners[/b] 2021

[b]FA Cup Winners[/b] 2018, 2021

[b]Championship Winners[/b] 2016

[b]MLS All Star Game Winners[/b] 2017

[b]Premier League Manager of the Year[/b] 2021

Im going to give a brief run down of the seasons I have completed so far as i attempt to bring you up to date with me save.

2015/16 - Championship

My sole aim for the league this season was to win it, given my squad i'd like to have won it in some style but we only beat Brighton to the title by 6 points. We were fairly steady all season but a 3-1 win over Brighton at Pride Park, in the final home game of the season was enough to seal the league title.

FA Cup: 6th Round (lost 3-1 to Norwich)

League Cup: 1st Round (lost to Oxford 1-0 AET)

57f52fae30.png

2016/17 - Premiership

First season up with the big boys, we had to survive and that was the aim. Try to play our game, not embarrass ourselves and beat our own 'record' of 11 points :) I was very happy with a finish of 11th, nice and steady and gave us something to build on.

FA Cup: 4th Round (lost on penalties to Chelsea after a 2-2 in the replay)

League Cup: 2nd Round (lost 2-1 to Rochdale)

413ba2e9aa.png

2017/18 - Premiership

The aim now was to keep improving each season, i was supported by the board so there wasnt really a reason why we couldnt push on. Did we push on? No. We finished 11th again, i was slightly disappointed but it could be far worse i guess, we were starting to establish ourselves a little more. Maybe the cup run could have hampered our league from - the cup run in question led to us winning the FA Cup (an FM first for me). I was very proud though! Also, in pre-season, we were invited to play in the MLS All-Star game, which we won and bought home a shiny cup for the cabinet. Our FAC win would see us venture into Europe next season. All in all, a good season.

FA Cup: Winners (beat Spurs 3-1 in the final)

League Cup: 4th Round (lost 1-0 to Stoke)

MLS All-Star Game: Winners (beating the All-Stars 2-0)

e046a67a4e.png

2018/19 - Premiership

A good season for us. Finished 5th overall, qualifying again for Europe through our league position. A first appearance in the Europa League and we gave a really good account of ourselves, we went through the group stage unbeaten and without conceding a single goal, we finally met our match when we played Arsenal in the semi's, they beat us 2-1 over the 2 legs.

FA Cup: 3rd Round (lost on penalties to Everton after a 1-1 draw in the replay)

League Cup: 3rd Round (lost 3-1 to Sunderland)

Europa League: Semi Finals (lost 2-1 on agg. to Arsenal)

7c444813df.png

5af6dea6b5.png

2019/20 - Premiership

This was it. A big year for us. It simply was note the case however. A couple of disastrous runs saw us finish in our worst position to date. Down in 13th. We were knocked out the FAC in the 3rd round against Villa (from the Championship). Wolfsburg sent us packing in the Europa League, in the 2nd KO Round.

I very nearly lost my job in the summer, the board reminded me of my responsibility and told be they would not tolerate another poor season. I would do my best to not let them down....

FA Cup: 3rd Round (lost 2-1 to Villa)

League Cup: 4th Round (lost 3-2 to Newcastle)

Europa League: 2nd KO Round (lost 5-3 on agg. to Wolfsburg)

2fbe1cc8c9.png

edd7a0baa9.png

Off the field, myself and the board have been busy setting the club up for the future.

4e565d9ecd.png

The ground remains untouched since my first day, something im eager to change soon. However, im unbelievably happy with the facilities with only really the Youth Recruitment aspect left to improve.

My backroom team is exceptional;

166d0e09c2.png

In fact, they are the best in the league across the disciplines but still room for improvement to achieve all the 5* training across the board.

68ffd9a427.png

4a3c79ffd2.png

Im massively hopeful of bringing in quality youth players and focusing on making them 1st team regulars. I lost my HOYD to Sheff Weds who appointed him manager but he returned to us after sacking, hopefully he learnt his lesson ;)

2c0bab7ec1.jpg

Derby County FC

2020/21 - Season Review

After last seasons poor showing, i completely overhauled the squad. Replacing alot of the 1st 11 with younger, hungrier and more importantly, better CA and PA.

League Performance:: Im both pleased and amazed to say we surpassed the medias (9th), the boards and my own expectations by WINNING the league. It came down to the final game of the season but i can honestly say i think we derserved it. Both Chelsea and Man City pushed me all the way but when we drew with City 0-0 in the penultimate game of the season i knew we were almost there, all we had to do was beat Liverpool at home. We did just that, no, we thrashed the, 4-0 to clinch a club first Premier League title. Im also delighted to break Chelseas hold on the league.

League Positions Graph: I think we were fairly dominant from the off but you can see here just how much Chelsea and Man City pushed us.

0d0eb89210.png

FA Cup: We can now also say we have done the double! We won the FA Cup in great fashion. Thrashing Chelsea 6-1 in the semis but beating, a personal rival of mine, Arsenal 2-1 in the final after being a goal down. Buzzing with a second FAC win.

Finances: We currently have -£8,300,800. This is to be addressed ASAP.

Transfers: Will talk about this in future updates, once you've got to know the squad a little better.

Squad: This is the squad as it stands Part 1 Part2. Im really hopeful for the futures of Fondere, Guillemot, Henderson, Andre and Del Giglio. They are the future of Derby County. Christie and Thorne have been here since day one and showed themselves to be really good Premiership players but i must reserve a special mention for Captain, Will Hughes. His performances in a Rams shirt have seen him gain the 'Legend' status. He did complete the double in his first season after all haha.

Summary: An amazing season. Enough said. Although, i'd like to give a special mention to Maxi Romero though, came back from a damaged cruciate ligament to replace our #1 striker, he scored 29 goals in 37(5) appearances. I love the kid and hope goes on to achieve more with us.

Targets Review

1. Better 13th place - Achieved

Rich Julian

Manager

Derby County FC

Career Summary

[b][u]Season[/u][/b]               [b][u]Team [/u][/b]                [b][u]League[/u][/b]                 [b][u]Position[/u][/b]                  [b][u]Achievements[/u][/b]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16              Derby County       The Championship          1st                       League Champions
2016/17              Derby County       Premier League            11th
2017/18              Derby County       Premier League            11th                      MLS All Star Game Winners, FA Cup Winners 
2018/19              Derby County       Premier League            5th
2019/20              Derby County       Premier League            13th
2020/21              Derby County       Premier League            1st                       League Champions, FA Cup Winners, MOTY

Trophy Cabinet

[b]Premier League Winners[/b] 2021

[b]FA Cup Winners[/b] 2018, 2021

[b]Championship Winners[/b] 2016

[b]MLS All Star Game Winners[/b] 2017

[b]Premier League Manager of the Year[/b] 2021

I was also made England manager in 2020. We had a rubbish Euro Nations League campaign, i was relegated after straight losses to Spain and France. We have a World Cup Qual. campaign underway so will now update on that as and when the games come.

The aim now for this thread/career is to:

1) win a World Cup with England

2) better our neighbours' (and indeed Mr Cloughs') efforts of winning 2 European Cups

That brings you bang up to date with the in-game date now, thanks for reading so far. Rich

2c0bab7ec1.jpg

Derby County FC

2021/22 - Pre-Season Review - 1 August 2021

League Expectations:

Premier League: Qualify for the Champions League (Board) & 5th/20 (Media Prediction)

Cup Expectations:

UEFA Champions League: Reach the 1st KO Round

FA Cup: Reach the Semi-Finals

League Cup: Reach the Semi-Finals

Community Shield: Not Important

Finances:

Bank balance: -£29,685,565 (last season N/A)

Transfer Budget: £13,650,000 (last season N/A)

Wage Budget: £2,834,411 p/w (last season £N/A)

Current Wage Bill: £2,200,000 p/w (last season N/A)

Whilst i know the balance doesn't look good but its been a lot, lot worse in the past. Now its being recorded more here, i will be a addressing the issue ASAP and looking to getting us back in the green.

Pre-season Results:

f072d50630.png

Not the best of opponents but still a few big names there. We finished the friendlies undefeated and didnt conceded too many goals. Maxi Romero was on good form, scoring 10 goals in 8(1) appearances.

Transfers (to date):

e5a327ddc8.png

Antonio Guimaraes - We spent big on this guy from 'rivals' Leicester and whilst his CA is only 3*, he will be a starter and hopefully kick on and improve with the exposure to the first team.

Jose Mauri - Comes in on a free, will basially just provide cover, and maybe a little competition, in the MC area. He may play some part in the Cup competitions.

Rolando Kippes - 10m spent on the 20 year old, can play at RB and CB, looking to loan him out to help in gain the experience to play in our first team.

Ivan Karovic - I have alot of time for Ivan. The Real Madrid ST joins us on loan for a 2nd successive season, it allows us to loan John Henderson out to gain experience. Its felt that Karovic can do a better job currently when called upon.

Maximillian Meyer - Missed out on him on a free a year ago and now Barca transfer listed him and he cost me 17m. He will push Andre Schurlle this season before taking over from the aging German.

Kevin Diks - Comes in on loan to provide some cover at RB.

John Henderson, Kabiru Chukwu and Jack Sanders are the pick of the players that have gone out on loan to gain some first team experience.

Season Tickets:

Sold: 27,459/33,597 (+2285 from last season)

My Thoughts:

Neither the board or the media are expecting big things but having kept the core of the title winning squad and adding some more quality i have told the lads its all about winning the league again and they all agreed with me in the team meeting. We have expanded the coaching and scouting teams so im expecting bigger and better things from them. Again, i expect us to fight like dogs and not embarrass ourselves. Id like us to also give a good account of ourselves in the Champions League.

Im looking forward to the Youth Intake after appointing Matt Hale from Southampton as my new HOYD.

Targets:

1. Win the league

2. Qualify out of the CL group

Champions League 2021/22 - Group Stages

Amazingly, we were drawn as first seeds. I know we won the league but i wasn't really expecting the seed.

9c472e4581.png

A decent enough group for a CL debut, the media see it as a tough group for us. I think we will finish Top 2. Since the start of the save, this is how the teams with us have finished in their respective leagues;

Athletic Madrid: 3, 3, 3, 2, 3, and 3 (early to most recent)

Leverkusen: 7, 3, 3, 5, 2, and 2

AC Milan: 7, 8, 10, 2, 5 and 3.

Premier League 2021/22 - August

Results

177c351668.png

League Table

4598c4be94.png

We started off the month losing the CS to Chelsea on penalties after a 1-1. Coutouis saved 4 out of my 5 pens! I was very happy with the performance though. In the league, we had an unbeaten month but its the Everton game im most disappointed with. Schurrle gave us the lead in the 89th min but we allowed Everton back into the game and they scored a very late equaliser. Mention for Maxi Romero whose had an excellent start to the league campaign, bagging 5 goals in 5 games.

Awards

Allan Andre Young Player of the Month Runner Up

International break now so the next update will be from Englands World Cup Qualifying campaign.

England - World Cup Qualifying - September 2021

Hungary vs. England

52c2a830d8.jpg

e73603de2f.jpg

Really disappointed with this result. Akpom put us 2-1 up in the 80th minute but we didn't concentrate and Hungary scored a equaliser in the 93rd minute.

Czech Republic

df4338f3c6.jpg

11e10cad3f.jpg

Our first loss of the campaign. Again, another late goal conceded. Not happy with the performances over these 2 games, squads seriously lacking some star quality at times.

3cf33c4708.png

Premier League 2021/22 - September

Results

ef7be1a6cd.png

League Table

2c6484d535.png

Champions League Group Stage

3e6811fd5a.png

Started the month off with a good win over the closet thing we have to a rival in this league, although we left it to the death to get the winner. Then it was time for our CL debut, the score doesnt really reflect the game, it was 0-0 until the 87th minute then we conceded twice more in 87th min and then the 92nd. I was gutted with the Southampton result before Championship side Burnley took us to pens in the League Cup - had the wheels fell off? No. The home game against, then, 6th placed Villa saw us back to our best, Maxi Romero bagging a hat-trick. Back in Europe, a late leveler saw us share the points with Leverkusen, i feel we now need to get something from AC Milan in our next CL game.

Awards

Allan Andre won the Young Player of the Month award.

England - World Cup Qualifying - October 2021

England vs. Sweden

5bc97d2376.jpg

ab1f446ebb.jpg

Got the job done in front a bumper crowd at Wembley. Set ourselves up nice for a trip to face second placed Georgia in a few days time.

Georgia vs. England

5bc97d2376.jpg

ab1f446ebb.jpg

A gritty performance but its job done, we are off to China! We qualify with a game to spare too.

e4a3c3e6fb.png

As a small side note..

Theres a pending name change for the title of this thread, i know the original isnt all that inspiring.

I hope people are reading the thread, would love some interaction to please feel free to comment :)

Premier League 2021/22 - October

Results

909f5cf65a.png

League Table

1306223b9a.png

01bd1caae4.png

I was very pleased to start the month off with a win over City, especially away from home - it was on loan striker Karovic that bagged the winner for us just after half-time. However, we were then bought back down to earth with a bang as Chelsea got revenge for us dumping out of last years FAC, they came to Pride Park and absolutely battered us.

Our next fixture has got to be one of the craziest games ive been involved in. It was end to end stuff and we were cotinually giving away the lead until we got it to 4-4 and eventually managed the bag the last goal to take home a vital 3 points in the CL. Every time AC Milan took a lead, we instantly responed:- i have included a picture so you can see the goal timings yourselves.

8364927e67.png

It was then back to League duty and a trip to bottom of the league Sunderland, i dont know if it was jet lag or something but we werent at the races and i was glad to escape with a point. We were then set to face Chelsea at home in the league cup and i was very weary pre-game, even more so when i saw the team sheet and saw Chelsea were at full strength, that said, we managed to race into a 2 goal league after a double by star man Maxi Romero and we saw it home to take home the win. A home tie against 6th placed WBA was the final game for the month, i thought we threw it away when they made it 2-2 in the 79th minute but 2 late goals from Espinoza & Christie ensured we finished the month strongly.

Champions League 2021/22 - Group Stages

Amazingly, we were drawn as first seeds. I know we won the league but i wasn't really expecting the seed.

That's the new seeding rule, IIRC it's the winner of the 7 biggest leagues, and the reigning CL winner that get the 1st seeds, so the Premiership winners should always get a 1 seed.

That's the new seeding rule, IIRC it's the winner of the 7 biggest leagues, and the reigning CL winner that get the 1st seeds, so the Premiership winners should always get a 1 seed.

Ah thanks for clearing that up, always assumed it was a rank thing.

98acf1a9d2.pngPremier League 2021/22 - November

Results

ba48118e95.png

League Table

a23d82bc7b.png

3123c8151a.png

A mixed month for me. Started with a great win over AC Milan but the bubble, again, was soon burst as we lost to title rivals Arsenal at the Emirates. As mush as we pushed, we just couldnt find a 2nd goal. Kevin Volland is my nemesis. The 4-0 over Liverpool looks great on paper but they are a team in decline, several manager changes has not been the fix they are looking for and they are currently down in 17th - i may update on them regularly as they could be one of the first big teams to face troubled times. We then entertained Spanish giants Athletico Madrid at PP - like our other CL games, it didnt disappoint! We went a goal down, took a 2-1 lead, conceded twice and then leveled in the 86th minute. We end the month with a really disappointing 0-0 away to Palace (11th). We had sooooo many chance s but with our current injury list, we didnt really have a plan B and i couldnt switch it up.

Awards

Ivan Karovic Young Player of the Month Runner Up

World Cup 2022 - China - Group Stage Draw

d92dfe11f6.png

We are currently ranked 8th in the world and were placed in Pot 4 for this draw. We have been given a fairly decent group. The main (and obvious) threat is Spain (3rd) who beat us twice in the Nations League last summer. Wins against Colombia (15th) and Guatemala (56th) should be achievable and see us progress out the group.

The few months or so will be spent tailoring a group of players ready for the trip to China. I am really worried about the amount of young talents coming through the various clubs academies. Im on a personal mission with Derby to try and change this.

98acf1a9d2.pngMonthly Review - December 2021

Results

aaab440c4f.png

League Table

ee7d4e2bd5.png

a4c8ed365f.png

2 good wins to start the month, 1 of which secured a place in the LC semi-finals. Then came one of the biggest games of my career, news was filtering through of Athletico taking a commanding lead over AC Milan so only a win would see us through, late on i went for it and threw everything we had at Leverkusen but they caught us on the break and scored, we lost the game 1-0 and went crashing out the Champions League - a steep learning curve shall we say. That result crused us and we then went on to lose 2 league games against teams we should be beating really. Injuries really have hit us hard of late and heads had gone. We managed to rally the lads and went a nice little run toward the end of the month, beating 3rd place Man Utd was the highlight.

On a positive note, despite a shaky month, we have cut Arsenal's lead at the top of the league from 8 points to 4. Heres a closer look how the current Top 5 teams have changed position in the first half of the season;

940c05bc92.png

Awards

98acf1a9d2.pngMonthly Review - January 2022

Results

83a1de4b05.png

League Table

8ed6feb9e7.png

What a month. Alot going on but only played 3 league games, winning them all. Nice to take maximum points, score 8 goals and conceded none. 2 FAC games against lower league opposition, winning both comfortably and seeing us nicely through to the 5th round. I was very pleased with the League Cup win over Man City, beating them 2-1 on aggregate.

Id like to give a special mention to 20 year old ST John Henderson. He spent the first half of the season on loan at Championship side Ipswich where he 11 goals in 22(3) appearances. He returned to us on the 4th of Jan and missed the Newcastle game. We were having somewhat of a striker crisis with Maxi Romero and Karovic both out injured so i threw him straight in vs. Preston where he bagged 2 goals. The came Wolves at home and i decided to start him again, he didnt let me down as he bagged a hat-trick in the win. His final appearance of the month came vs. Spurs where he again scored - his stats for Jan; 3 apps, 6 goals. Fantastic from lad. Key to give him more 1st team exposure now.

Gilles Guillemot has joined Celtic on loan until the end of the season in a bid to see him play more first team football.

Awards

Andre Schurrle Player of the Month Runner Up

John Henderson Young Player of the Month

Lukas Loos Young Player of the Month 3rd place

(my first ever clean sweep of a monthly award.)

Rich Julian Manager of the Month

A good month for us!

The three most important factors are youth recruitment, your head of youth development, and a good scouting knowledge of the world can help a bit.

Another thing, though it's rare, you can set up affiliations with clubs like Boca(or any club with top intakes), but you need the one that allows them to send youth to train with you, and come through your youth ranks.

The three most important factors are youth recruitment, your head of youth development, and a good scouting knowledge of the world can help a bit.

Another thing, though it's rare, you can set up affiliations with clubs like Boca(or any club with top intakes), but you need the one that allows them to send youth to train with you, and come through your youth ranks.

How do you set up such an affiliation, dont think ive ever seen the option...

Is anyone reading this with any vested interest? Thinking of closing the thread down to a severe lack of interest/interaction. Understand it may not have an exciting a theme as some threads on here so would appreciate the feedback that anyone may have to offer.

Is anyone reading this with any vested interest? Thinking of closing the thread down to a severe lack of interest/interaction. Understand it may not have an exciting a theme as some threads on here so would appreciate the feedback that anyone may have to offer.

Someone told me once, when I was similarly disheartened with a save thread, that you don't look at replies, but check how many views the thread is getting to see if people are interested.

Having noted what BoxToBox has said, i'll persevere.

98acf1a9d2.pngMonthly Review - February 2022

Results

3c14c8f31c.png

League Table

a4eaabe921.png

A fantastic start to the month with nice with over rivals Leicester and a sticky opponent in Southampton. We then struggled against Everton in a 1-1 draw, not taking chances again before losing to Villa who are near the botton of the table - 3 points we shouldnt be dropping. We then had a trip to Holland to face dutch champions Ajax in the Europa League, we never really got going and couldnt find the away goal i wanted - it would need a magical European night at PP to turn our fortunes around but before that could happen we would be hosting Everton for the second time this month albeit in the FAC. We sent the toffees packing a some style beating them 4-1 and making up for dropping points in the league. We now turned our attentions to the Ajax game, what followed was brilliant. We completely dominated and out played them and went through 5-1 on aggregate. We then finished the month with a trip to Wembley to face bottom of the league Sunderland in the League Cup final. I was worried we may be too confident but we controlled the game from start to finish and ran out 2-0 winners thanks to goals from Christie and Maxi Romero - nice to add a new trophy to the cabinet.

98acf1a9d2.pngMonthly Review - March 2022

Results

91aa34eee3.png

League Table

1fdf14d101.png

WHAT.A.MONTH!

Unbeaten and one result off a clean sweep. Im not even rounding this month up. The results speak for themselves and we are honing in on Man Utd.

Awards

Rich Julian Manager of the Month

Archived