Why does the match AI insist on gifting EN goals?

Apparently the AI has been coded so that it will present an empty goal even if the team is down by two goals. Why? Quite often this simply gifts the opposition goals and causes the team to lose by three goals.

Thats actually a common practice to pull the goalie even with 2 goals behind unless there are only seconds left to play.

Peter, it's actually not so common in Europe, so I can understand the OP's question. It's interesting, in North America, coaches tend to be far less likely to pull a starter to put in the back up, yet in Europe that is something that happens very regularly.

Rakennusmestari (wow what a handful to type) in North America, with about a minute and a half to go (sometimes more, sometimes less) the majority of coaches here tend to pull a goaltender for the extra attacker.

Perhaps that's something to be looked at as a coaching attribute? Likeliness to pull goaltenders for extra attacker.

I think the only thing a little off with the the AI and pulling the goalie is how they will very often pull the goalie a second time after already allowing one empty net goal. But I think the root of the problem is just how easy it is to score empty net goals, almost every time the other team will fire a perfect shot from their own red line and get a goal no less than ten seconds after the goalie leaves the ice. This results in a lot of 2-1 games suddenly becoming 4-1 because the team behind pulls their goalie once at the 2 minute mark, and then again 15 seconds later after the other team scores an empty net goal.

Peter, it's actually not so common in Europe, so I can understand the OP's question.

It maybe more league related, at least here in Germany its common too. Heck, Uwe Krupp sometimes pulls the goalie when 3 goals down and 5 minutes left to play.

I think the only thing a little off with the the AI and pulling the goalie is how they will very often pull the goalie a second time after already allowing one empty net goal. But I think the root of the problem is just how easily it is to score empty net goals, almost every time the other team will fire a perfect shot from their own red line and get a goal no less than ten seconds after the goalie leaves the ice. This results in a lot of 2-1 games suddenly becoming 4-1 because the team behind pulls their goalie once at the 2 minute mark, and then again 15 seconds later after the other teams score an empty net goal.

Agree, EN goals come too easy. Loose an offensive zone face off with your goalie pulled, 90% of the time the defender who gets the puck shoots it in the empty goal right after the face off. Even defensive defenders with below average skills find the open net easily from their own defensive zone.

It maybe more league related, at least here in Germany its common too. Heck, Uwe Krupp sometimes pulls the goalie when 3 goals down and 5 minutes left to play.

German hockey is heavily influenced by NA hockey that might be the reason, but yes it's common in germany.

Archived