Burton Albion FC

Hi everyone,

With the recent success of Burton Albion, achieving promotion in the League two last season, and this season fighting for promotion in the League one I got interested in how they play exactly. I'm also particularly interested because Jerrel ''Jimmy Floyd'' Hasselbaink is Dutch, which usually stands for attacking football. So I've tried to find some information on the web about how they play and the formations they use, but for some reason there isn't a whole lot to find. So I'm wondering if someone knows a little bit more about the team or knows websites where I can find information on how they play?

As their coach is Dutch, Im assuming he plays in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 formation and I also found something about Burton using a 4-4-2 in some games. I also found an interview with Hasselbaink, stating that he wants to play football the right way. Attacking football from the back with a dynamic midfield, which pretty much everything I could find so far.

I'm hoping someone can help me out or can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!!!

• 2 weeks later...

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head. At home use an Attacking mentality (unless you're playing a really good side) and away play Counter. Utilise the good wide players they have and have your lone striker dropping in deep to leave space for their talented attacking midfielders. Away from home they play quite directly down the wings because they have lots of pace. When they're trying to control the game, they play more though the middle. Much slower and patient, using the wide players to stretch the defence out. Stuart Beavon is a decent striker who can drag centre backs out of position so utilise that as much as you can.

I would maybe suggest using Clear Ball To Flanks, especially when away from home to get the ball forward quickly down the sides of the defence where your wingers can exploit the space. You need to make sure you have midfield runners with the lone striker. With two strikers, I'd go either big man/little man or creator/scorer depending on what you have at your disposal.

Archived