FM16: Hull City A.F.C, "The Tigers"

Ukchris

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For my European campaign I'm going to need a bigger squad

So far i'm looking at needing another GK, 3 x Centre Backs with Davies and Dawson looking passed their best. Meyler too is no longer a Premier League player and James Wilson is now valued at his release clause amount of £20m with no signs of wanting to accept another deal from me

Whilst I never want to, it seems wholesale changes are needed again.

Season 2017/18

Finished the season off with a great run moving from the bottom half of the table at the half way stage to finish in 5th place

table2_zpsddfxrqai.png

I have 5 strikers and between them they scored 90 goals in all competitions

Joel Pohjanpalo 25

James Wilson 25

Mousse Dembele 17

Abel Hernandez 11

Patrick Bamford 8

However, I will focus on the only City players I still have who will remain for another season

Harry Maguire - whilst he isn't a 1st XI starter, he has played enough games well to stay on another season. His defensive stats are increasing still.

Maguire_zpsjalk8yph.png

Andrew Robertson - another excellent season, I've only rotated him with Tymon to give the latter some game time.

Robertson_zpsfbyrmuej.png

Moses Odubajo - My only current right back, averaging over 8 is incredible.

Odubajo_zpszbyqymyf.png

Josh Tymon - would love to give him some more gametime, but Robertson is a tough player for him to push out

Tymon2_zpsewrwc8pe.png

The summer transfer window has seen a few changes.

Transfers2_zpsfljymmwe.png

I wasn't quite happy with Reyes so sold him and replaced him with Avest, who can also play at Right Back which is a bonus as I don't have a back up there

Ajer was not in my team and having snapped up Strootman on Jan 1st on a free I needed to offload one midfielder. This was compounded with the purchase of both Kondogbia and Pereyra and i'm not probably one or two up in terms of midfielders (I play 433)

Blanco is my new GK and Nagy has already been loaned out.

Additionally, I have 5 strikers and with Tielemens able to slot in up front I moved on Abel

Ajer was not in my team and having snapped up Strootman on Jan 1st on a free I needed to offload one midfielder...

Congrats on your promotion and European qualification :)

Interesting to see you weren't playing Ajer and sold him. Did he not develop for you? On my save he's probably one of the best deep-lying playmakers in the game, my vice Captain and everyone wants to sign him. That said, I did start with the original database so I don't know if his ability was reduced in the latest update.

Tymon does seem to be better in the new update but Robertson is hard to replace and I'd be concerned over Tymon's low bravery if he was first choice. Seems Robertson and Odubajo are getting the job done for you though!

I also kept Maguire for several seasons but as each year went by he got less and less gametime. He's not bad, but I sold him in the end mostly due to his poor acceleration and concentration, which seem no different in your database. A useful squad player to cover injuries but once his wage demands got too high for that role - and lots of complaining about not playing enough - I had to move him on.

Good luck in Europe, and a push for the top 4!

Season 7: 2021 - 22

After throwing away the league title last season I just about managed to go one better this time:

vsYIx3c.jpg

I still nearly blew it, having a decent gap to Man Utd in second with 4 games to go and then failing to win any of those last 4, but the draws were just enough to stay ahead of them on points. Barcelona knocked me out in the first knockout round of the Champions League, Arsenal beat me in the FA Cup semi final and my youths/reserves lost to Newcastle in the 4th round of the League Cup but the league was my priority and I'm relieved to win it this time.

I've played a 4411 the last few seasons and kept making little changes but here's what I used most of this season:

PEdXWK2.jpg

I'd played a support striker before but changing to a poacher made that role much more of a goal threat. I had 4 strikers this season and they combined for around 50 goals. Did start the season with only 2 strikers but my first choice regen broke his leg so I recalled another from loan and had a 4th developing fast in the reserves).

Robertson has been fantastic every year at fullback, hitting a new high of 7.46 average this season. I've kept looking for better left backs but he's continued to be the best option. Everyone wants to sign him but thankfully he's been happy to keep renewing his contract here. He's my only remaining 'original' player but he's always one of the first names on the team sheet when fit. I did sign Rafa from Porto for £10m to rotate there this season but he's been backup for Robertson all year. On the opposite side Zappacosta has been awesome at right back, and is another I simply can't improve on despite having him for 6 seasons.

The regen I recalled from loan ended up as top scorer, and got the league golden boot, but Ivan deserves credit. I signed him for £7m the year I got promoted and he's scored 10 - 20 goals each season to help me get to the title. He's probably 2nd or 3rd choice now but was a great value buy.

Cristiano Pavon got back to goalscoring form, 11 goals and 11 assists from left midfield. As a WM-A he plays a lot like an Inside Forward and gets on the end of crosses from the right (supplied by Nathan Redmond who is a brilliant right winger). Pavon is another I signed right after promotion and he's scored nicely for me.

Matheus Pereira really came into his own this year as an attacking playmaker with 10 goals, 16 assists and 8.13 avg. Another I signed quite cheap 5 seasons ago and has improved each year to now be brilliant.

Ajer and Alli controlled central midfield and again are a pair I signed the first season after promotion who continue to improve each season. The only games they miss are when I feel I can rest them to give a younger player some game time.

Phil Jones has been a great Captain for me but Michael Keane continues to surprise. He's not the most expensive, his wages are low and his potential isn't rated as high as other players but he has the attributes to be incredibly consistent. A cracking signing in central defence for anyone who's just been promoted and he can do a job at the top of the league too.

Dragowski came with a high price tag of almost £50m but he's been worth it. In the 3 seasons I've had him we finished 4th, 2nd and 1st and he claimed the golden glove thingy this year with 17 clean sheets in the league. Goalkeepers aren't the flashiest position to spend big money on but they sure can repay it with their performances.

Anyhow, my aim for the save has now been achieved :) It took me 7 seasons to win the league (though I should've done it in season 6) and Andrew Robertson is my only remaining player from the original squad but he's someone I simply can't replace. Even after 2 years in the Champions League and many millions to spend there's just not been anyone available I felt would be an upgrade. Keep hold of him! I did bring Bo Myhill back to the club as a 3rd goalkeeping coach when he retired, so at least I have another connection to previous years.

Now I've won the league I'll continue trying to repeat that but maybe focus a little more on the Champions League. I owe Bayern Munich and Barcelona some revenge!

I made this a little longer update again as I achieved my primary goal, and figured I'd highlight the players that got me there, but I'll keep it brief from here on as the situation now bears little resemblence to starting a fresh save. Good luck to anyone else progressing through a save with the Tigers, hopefully you can win the league a bit sooner!

• 2 weeks later...

Seasons 2018/19 and 2019/20

We've just not managed to push on to get from the 7th/8th place finishes. In fact we've not even qualified for Europe from 2019/20 as we ended up in 8th place. At the start of the season a moment of madness saw us depart the European competitions in the first qualifying round we played in as I oddly simmed the games mistaking them for a pre-season tournament I had created. The last two seasons have been a struggle

2018/19

201819_zpsis1qfont.jpg

2019/20

201920_zpsr3fya8j1.jpg

Transfers In

Transfers%20201820_zpse0fbbzrt.jpg

I've managed to bring in some real quality, but they are just not hitting it off.

Fingers crossed that I can break into the Top 4 next season

My aims this summer transfer window are for a top quality GK and Centre Back but as with most seasons I'll end up with three new strikers and another midfielder

Archived