Football Manager 15 Benchmark Thread

Just came across this when looking for thoughts about FM16. I didn't reboot, just closed my previous game and was using Outlook for a couple of work emails ...

CPU: I5 2500K

CPU Frequency: 4500 MHz

RAM: 8GB 1600 MHz CL9

Storage: SSD - game on HD

Time: 3 min 47 sec (ran it again - 3 min 49 sec)

I suspect there's too many variables involved for this test to be called totally meaningful to be fair.

I have found this thread very useful.

Almost bought the I7 5820K or even worse the i7 5960x. Great CPU's but currently not the best choice for FM only players.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok this comes a bit late as the FM 16 is just behind the corner but I wanted to do this for a long time. I tested the speed with stock settings and different overclocks to find out what affects most to the speed of FM. And here are my results.

Stock BIOS settings

CPU: AMD Phenom II 955BE

CPU Frequency: 3200Mhz

RAM: 16GB 1333 MHz CL9

Storage: SSD

Time: 12 min 03 sec

Only CPU clocked

CPU Frequency: 4000Mhz

RAM: 16GB 1333 MHz CL9

Time: 10 min 13 sec

CPU and northbridge clocked, memory reduced to 8gb for better memory speed

CPU Frequency: 4080Mhz

RAM: 8GB 1599 MHz CL9

Time: 9 min 47 s

And max perfectly stable overclock I could get.

CPU Frequency: 4300Mhz

RAM: 8GB 1639 MHz CL9

Time: 9 min 22 sec

I actually tried to do some extra research and do it quite carefully. I didn't just stare at the GHz and MHz of cpu and memory but I also tested each run of FM week holiday in comparison to Geekbench results. Also kept all the other variables the same for each run. Then I did some spreadsheet analyzing of the results of FM time and different scores of Geekbench (integer, floating point, memory) and using Pearsons correlation I tried to analyze which part of the geekbench result had correlation to FM time. And interestingly correlations where following:

Integer single -0.9973

Integer multi -0.9956

Floating point single -0.9980

Foating point multi -0-9997

Memory single -0.7875

Memory multi -0.7847

Do notice that I only had 4 different tests to analyze which is quite few. That is because clocking, stability testing and FM run together took about 40 min for each test. But still it is quite clear that FM benefits most of CPU speed and memory has not that much of a impact. I would be interested to try some extra testing (for example shutting down weakest cores of cpu and try to get more clock speed and see what happens) but maybe I'll leave that for the FM 16. :)

Also I noticed many other things affecting the speed and explaining some interesting previous results there was but maybe I'll write some more later in an own thread.

Also I noticed many other things affecting the speed and explaining some interesting previous results there was but maybe I'll write some more later in an own thread.

Please do! I want to buy a new pc just because of fm :) (currently thinking about a pentium g3258 overclocked to 4.5 ghz hopefully :))

• 4 weeks later...

Someone posted about his game speed in this thread http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/444115-Game-Slowing-As-Years-Progress?p=10595292&viewfull=1#post10595292 :

"around 15 minutes per month on my all-player all-league is around my sim speed on FM16, whereas it took around an hour on FM15 (same setup)"

EDL from SI replied:

"We made some optimisations this year which will have a bigger impact with larger savegames, which explains what you are seeing there."

The FM 2016 thread is going to be very interesting!

• 2 months later...
CPU: i7-920 @ 4000MHz

RAM: 6GB 1537Mhz

Storage: HDD

Time: 5m32s

Had to test the new laptop

CPU: i7-6820HK @ 2.7Ghz (Turbo Boost 3.6Ghz)

RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz

Storage: SSD (850 Evo)

Time: 5m10s

A bit quicker than my almost 7 year old desktop.

• 2 weeks later...
I was/am going to set a new one up at the weekend.

Wouldn't it be better to wait for the new patch, so that we have a level playing field for the results?

Despite my post about this subject I will be looking forward to it and I will be posting my results!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok great. Currently toying with the idea of a system upgrade and would be interesting to see if there is any difference between the current i5-6600k and i7-6700k processors. I remember that SI optimised the game for Hyperthreading some years ago, but I'm not sure if this still makes much of a difference.

They actually made further improvements to the use of HT technology for FM16, previously only the full match engine used it whereas now the transfer module also employs HT to crunch the numbers.

I ran a very quick test the other week & saw an almost 30% improvement when running an FM15/FM16 comparison.

That's great, means the 6700k may be the way to go to take advantage of HT in that case. I remember SI making a song and dance about HT at the time they first introduced it. Hadn't heard anything since, so thought it may have become less of an issue or less supported.

That's an impressive improvement. I had noticed a good speed increase in general processing.

They actually made further improvements to the use of HT technology for FM16, previously only the full match engine used it whereas now the transfer module also employs HT to crunch the numbers.

I ran a very quick test the other week & saw an almost 30% improvement when running an FM15/FM16 comparison.

Really curious how this is going to impact my I5 2500K (no hyper) vs my I7 2670QM.

Another thing that I would be interested to see is whether the new m.2 PCI-e SSDs have much impact on the performance of FM compared to a standard SATA III SSD. Does anyone have one?

The SSD would only help for saving and loading games.

The SSD would only help for saving and loading games.

Is there no loading from disk during gameplay? Is everything loaded in to RAM? Even player faces, skin graphics etc? I presumed there seems to have been an increase in page loading times over recent years.

If this is so, then RAM frequency and latency might we be second most important as it is more down to how quickly the data can be extracted and processed from RAM.

Ok great. Currently toying with the idea of a system upgrade and would be interesting to see if there is any difference between the current i5-6600k and i7-6700k processors. I remember that SI optimised the game for Hyperthreading some years ago, but I'm not sure if this still makes much of a difference.

see post #100, don't expect more than 12-15% for almost double price, spend those on bigger SSD or better GFX card. overclocking is an option too as you look @ "K" versions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

CPU: Intel Core I7 6700K

CPU Frequency: 4200 MHz

Ram: 16 GB 2133

Time: 3 Minutes 54 Seconds

I just saw that in my Bios the Ram was not listed with correct MHZ. I changed to 2133 MHZ and run the test again and overclocked my CPU to 4300 MHz....

Time: 3 Minutes 46 Seconds

Archived