Back From The Brink - A Glasgow Rangers Story

neilhoskins77

Football Manager' 14

All Countries, All Leagues from the original game. No extra's or mods.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've never really got on with FM'14. The match engine has annoyed me in the limited amount of time I played it, and I just didn't find the game as good as FM'13 to be honest. But, my mates keep bugging me to play online, and they refuse to go back to older versions. I started a game just to `get my eye in' on FM'14 if you like. No extra's, the standard version with all the original Leagues loaded. I plumped for a Rangers save as from stories I've read and heard about, Rangers really struggle to assert any dominance once they return to the Premier League.

I had no intention of making this a story to post at all, but it got quite interesting, quite quickly. Following in the footsteps of club legend, Ally McCoist, I've done myself no favours at all by setting my previous experience as `Sunday League Footballer', as I always do. I've walked into a fans backlash off the back of being McCoist's successor. A nobody appointed to be in charge of one of Scotland's pair of superpowers, and one of the largest clubs in the UK. They are not a happy bunch right now thanks to this appointment. Even before pre-season was done, the job status bar was under 20% and I look like I'm clinging onto my job already. I've only been given a one year contract, and the status ominously states that it wouldn't financially hinder the club to sack me, so it doesn't look like they will take much convincing to end this reign quickly. This might be a pretty short story! The transfer embargo means I can't sign anybody in this initial transfer window. As far as I can make out, I can sign players after the 3rd of September, but they would have to be free agents as the transfer window will be closed. There are a few players who are new to the club, but are not available to play until the embargo is over. The squad itself isn't small, but it's a touch light on experience.

As I post this, pre-season is complete, and we're a few games into the domestic season, so the next post will be a catch-up, and then you're all back `live' if you like. I appreciate that a lot of people will be bored by the prospect of a Rangers save, I know it's not particularly interesting, original etc. I'll do my best to make it enjoyable. All feedback welcome as always, I hope you enjoy it.

No pressure then :D

Our first pre-season fixture is in early July, but the game starts in mid-June. With 3 weeks before any action, and unable to do any shopping due to the actions of a previous regime, I ask a few of my players to take part in a game that the Reserves have lined up. This turned out to be mistake number one, Kyle McAusland broke an arm, and Fraser Aird broke a toe. That's not a good start. As I've mentioned, there isn't a shortage of players, but there is certainly a shortage of players with real experience. For some bizarre reason, Barrie McKay has been sent on loan to Championship side, Greenock Morton, and he can't be recalled. We're threadbare up front. We do have 5 keepers on our books in the First Team and Reserves squad, but two of them, Cammy Bell and Steve Simonsen can't play until the embargo is lifted. Of the remaining three, one is immediately sold. Liam Kelly moves to Partick Thistle for £34.5k. Lee Wallace is probably the best player at the club, but he'll have to move from his usual slot at left back, as the intention is to play with three central defenders, 4 across the midfield including two wingers, and an attacking midfielder supporting a pair of strikers. Wallace will be utilised on the left flank, and with David Templeton on the other side, we shouldn't lack for service to the front line.

Pre-season eventually begins with an away game to non-Leaguers, Cambuslang Rangers on the 6th July. The first half was without goals, but Andy Little put us ahead in the 51st minute, and we cut loose in the last 20 minutes with goals from David Templeton, Emilson Cribari, Lee McCulloch and Lee Wallace. We took just four substitutes to the game. That was followed by a significant step up, and a trip to France to take on Ligue 2 side, Tours FC. We were heavy underdogs for this game, but recorded a 2-0 victory that did a great deal for the teams early confidence. Chris Hegarty and an Ian Black penalty were on the scoresheet for that one, where we had seven on the bench, a few lads called up from the Under-19's to make the trip. On July 16th we were on England's South Coast, where we face Dorchester Town of the Skrill League, South Division. A crowd of almost 5,000 watched us win 3-0. Lee McCulloch got the only goal of the first half, second half goals from Dean Shiels and Andy Little adding some gloss to the scoreline. Young midfielder, Lewis MacLeod asked for a transfer, citing ambition as his reason for leaving. I told him I'd like him to stay, he's got the makings of a fine player. MLS side, New England Revolution make a bid of £150k for him, it's rejected out of hand.

We head back to France, where Stade Brestois 29 host a four team tournament, that also includes Malaga CF of Spain's La Liga, and Novara of Italy's Serie B. We face the host's on the Saturday afternoon, shocking them with a 2-1 victory. An own goal had given us the lead, they levelled the game in the 74th minute, but Lee McCulloch headed home a winner with just two minutes remaining. We advanced to the Final on the Sunday evening, where we face Malaga CF. With two games in 24 hours, and worried about the domestic season starting in less than a week, I have no option but to take a group of the Under-19's to the tournament, and start a few of them in the Final. The result was embarrassingly bad, in fact, I thought I was going to get the sack before the flight home. We took a 7-1 hiding in the Final, the Spanish side, including the likes of Roque Santa Cruz, making our lives a misery with 4 goals in a quarter of an hour period in the second half. Youngster, Danny Stoney from the age group squad got our only reply, but we were 5 down by then. There's plenty of work to do to repair the team's fragile confidence before the domestic season begins with a few Cup games.

Lets get up to date with the story by catching up with the domestic games we've played so far. The season in Scotland, for non Premier League teams anyway, starts with the early rounds of the Challenge Cup and League Cup. Its the Challenge Cup First Round that starts of the schedule, and we're handed a tricky draw, a trip to Championship side, Hamilton Academical.

Saturday 27th July 2013 - Scottish League Challenge Cup, First Round

New Douglas Park, Hamilton

Hamilton Academical (1) 1 Rangers (1) 2

Scorers : Lee McCulloch (8), Andy Little (78)

Attendance : 6,078

Alan Smith; Chris Hegarty (Kristian Gibson 85), Luca Gasparotto, Sebastian Faure; Lewis MacLeod, Robbie Crawford, Lee Wallace, David Templeton (Darren Ramsay 85); Dean Shiels; Andy Little, Lee McCulloch (capt).

Man of the Match : David Templeton (Rangers)

Ian Black and Emilson Cribari were suspended for this game, so it was two youngsters in centre midfield who would be the main focus of attention today. Lee McCulloch gave us the lead in the 8th minute, a great passing move across the pitch through the midfielders, David Templeton taking on his man and getting to the byline, cutting the ball back into the near post where McCulloch beat the keeper with a sidefooted finish. Mikael Antoine-Curier levelled the game up with a neat finish from 15 yards, and Hamilton missed a golden chance for a lead at the break when Jason Scotland saw his penalty saved by Alan Smith, who was making his Rangers debut in goal. Andy Little won the game for us, stabbing the ball into the top corner at the third attempt after his first shot was blocked, and the keeper got a hand to the second effort. We progress to Round Two, where we are drawn at home to Brechin City.

Saturday 3rd August 2013 - Scottish League Cup, First Round

Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow

Rangers (2) 2 Dunfermline Athletic (0) 0

Scorers : David Templeton (10), Lewis MacLeod (24)

Attendance : 25,330

Alan Smith; Emilson Cribari (Chris Hegarty 79), Luca Gasparotto, Sebastian Faure; Ian Black (Charlie Telfer 79), Lewis MacLeod, Lee Wallace, David Templeton (Charlie Telfer 79); Dean Shiels; Andy Little (Calum Gallagher 79), Lee McCulloch (capt).

The two lads who were suspended both return to the team. David Templeton was outstanding today, so much of the ball went down the right, where it didn't take Dunfermline long to start double teaming with their marking. It had little effect, he constantly beat his markers and reached the byline. He opened the scoring too, Lee Wallace firing across goal, the keeper only managing to get a hand on it and push it right into Templeton's path, and he had an open goal to fire at. He supplied the second, taking a free kick on the right that curled into the 6 yard box beyond the defence and Lewis MacLeod punched a low shot into the net from close range. It was quite dour after that, a half full stadium, a Cup match that Dunfermline didn't seem to have the capability or intent to try and get back into. Some changes late on gave a couple of younger lads a chance of some precious First Team minutes, Calum Gallagher getting a debut for the club. We're in the hat for Round Two, where we get a chance to test ourselves against Premier League opposition, as Kilmarnock will visit Ibrox.

Our next game is the opening League game, where we'll face Dunfermline Athletic once again at Ibrox. But we'll do so without our skipper, Lee McCulloch. He's torn his knee ligaments, and will miss between 2 and 3 months of action. This is a huge loss for us in the early part of the season. McCulloch isn't just the skipper, he's the glue that holds the club together right now, even at the age of 35. It also means that our already stretched ranks of strikers will be even more up against it until early September when the embargo finishes.

Saturday 10th August 2013 - Scottish League, Division One

Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow

Rangers (4) 5 Dunfermline Athletic (1) 1

Scorers : David Templeton (5), Ian Black (30 pen), Robbie Crawford (36), Andy Little (44), Emilson Cribari (53)

Attendance : 48,857

Alan Smith; Emilson Cribari, Luca Gasparotto (Kyle McAusland 85), Sebastian Faure; Ian Black, Lewis MacLeod (Charlie Telfer 85), Lee Wallace (capt), David Templeton; Robbie Crawford; Andy Little, Dean Shiels (Calum Gallagher 85).

Lee Wallace captains the side in the first League encounter, and some changes are required. Dean Shiels move to the striker spot left by McCulloch, Robbie Crawford taking the attacking midfield berth, youngster Danny Stoney stepping up to sit on the bench. Once again it's David Templeton who opens the scoring, arriving at the near post to head home Lewis MacLeod's corner kick. The visitors were level within two minutes, the Pars midfield passing their way through our defence, and Whittle hammering a shot into the top corner. That was as good as it got for them though, they were steamrollered in the remaining half hour or so of the first half. Ian Black converted with a low shot from the spot after Dean Shiels was clattered after a mazy run into the box, which surprisingly didn't merit a card of either colour according to the ref. Robbie Crawford got a goal from close range after reaching Andy Little's flick on from Lee Wallace's cross. And Little notched himself shortly after, Crawford taking down Templeton's cross at the near post, and his square ball found Crawford with all the time and space he could wish for, and the keeper left helpless. Emilson Cribari added to the score in the second half, glancing home Wallace's corner kick at the near post. A much bigger crowd, and a much better day.

So, we're all up to date, and everything from here on in will be `live'

Wednesday 14th August 2013 - Scottish League Challenge Cup, Second Round

Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow

Rangers (4) 4 Brechin City (0) 0

Scorers : Andy Little (5, 35), Robbie Crawford (8), Dean Shiels (40)

Attendance : 44,191

Alan Smith; Emilson Cribari, Kyle McAusland (Kristian Gibson 84), Sebastian Faure; Ian Black, Charlie Telfer (Danny Stoney 84), Lee Wallace (capt), David Templeton (Calum Gallagher 69); Robbie Crawford; Andy Little, Dean Shiels.

Man of the Match : Andy Little (Rangers)

The draw for the Third Round is made before the game, and the winners know they'll get a trip to Dundee if they are victorious tonight. We're missing a trio of players who are away on International duty, Chris Hegarty, Luca Gasparotto and Lewis MacLeod. Another fantastic first half display in front of goal put the tie out of Brechin's reach. Once again the midfielders do a great job of pulling the opposition apart, Robbie Crawford sliding a ball into the box, and Andy Little kept his shot low, finding the net via the inside of the post. Crawford got number two himself, Lee Wallace delivered a cross from the left, Little swung a boot at it but it hit a defender, and Crawford was in the right place and the right time to punish the defence. With ten minutes left on the clock before the break, Crawford again found himself in space outside the area, his attempted through ball to Dean Shiels was slightly off the mark, but Shiels got enough on it to divert the ball to an unmarked Little, who found the net once more. Shiels did eventually get himself off the mark before the break, David Templeton doing great work to get past the both the defenders trying to keep tabs on him, and Shiels was on the edge of the 6 yard box to slam home a volley. Nothing to report in the second half, Brechin had all the fight knocked out of them. We'll go to Dundee in early September.

Both Bolton Wanderers and Watford make bids of £250k for Fraser Aird. Both bids are rejected. Dougie Freedman, manager of Bolton, speaks to the press about his intention to make Aird a signing for their club in the near future, insisting I'm a reasonable guy and will be open to listening to what they have to say.

Saturday 17th August 2013 - Scottish League, Division One

Stair Park, Stranraer

Stranraer (1) 1 Rangers (5) 5

Scorers : Andy Little (1, 33), Dean Shiels (10, 32), Lee Wallace (45)

Attendance : 2,212

Alan Smith; Emilson Cribari, Luca Gasparotto, Sebastian Faure; Ian Black (Charlie Telfer 75), Lewis MacLeod, Lee Wallace (capt), David Templeton (Calum Gallagher 75); Robbie Crawford; Andy Little, Dean Shiels.

Man of the Match : Dean Shiels (Rangers)

Our first TV appearance of the season, a Saturday evening fixture out on the coast to face Stranraer. Lewis MacLeod and Luca Gasparotto reclaim their First Team spots after returning from International duty, Chris Hegarty is on the bench. A pattern is certainly emerging to our season so far, blistering first half and a second half seemingly containing the opposition. We took just 11 seconds to get off the mark today, Robbie Crawford continuing his good form, taking the ball from the opposition right from kick off, and his through ball sent Andy Little in on goal, lifting the ball over the keeper and into the far corner to get us off the mark. Crawford got the assist on number two as well, collecting the ball from David Templeton, finding Dean Shiels, and he found the net by slotting beyond the keeper. Shiels netted the third following a free kick routine. With the defence expecting a cross from Lee Wallace, he sent it down the wing into space for Lewis MacLeod. As the defence desperately tried to reorganise, his cross hit one of the Stranraer players and fell right to Shiels for an easy finish. Almost unbelievably, we scored right from kick off again, Crawford again taking the ball from the opposition, finding Shiels, and he played Little into space, and he curled his shot past the keeper into the far corner. The home side did manage to give their fans something to smile about, Grehan found the net from the edge of the area after Stirling and Aitken found a way through our defence. We had the last word in the first half, with David Templeton receiving treatment on the sideline, Lewis MacLeod whipped a free kick into the penalty area that bounced right through, Lee Wallace slamming it high into the net from a tight angle. Very little to report from the second half, though for all his talent, David Templeton's becoming a bit of a worry, as he seems incapable of completing 90 minutes, often taking knocks through the game. We'll need to make sure there is plenty of cover for him, as injuries seem inevitable.

17 year old centre back, Greg Pascazio, goes to non-League side Formartine United on loan for 5 months. Meanwhile, we head into our Scottish League Cup Second Round game at home to Kilmarnock with reason for optimism, as East Fife have knocked out Hearts the previous night, with a 2-1 victory.

Wednesday 28th August 2013 - Scottish League Cup, Second Round

Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow

Rangers (1) 3 Kilmarnock (0) 1

Scorers : David Templeton (30), Dean Shiels (48), Andy Little (72)

Attendance : 25,455

Alan Smith; Emilson Cribari (Kyle McAusland 87), Luca Gasparaotto (Chris Hegarty 89), Sebastian Faure; Ian Black (Charlie Telfer 90+1), Lewis MacLeod, Lee Wallace (capt), David Templeton; Robbie Crawford; Andy Little, Dean Shiels.

The bookies had us at 7/1 to win this game, but I don't know why. Kilmarnock are penniless and a tough Premier League season beckons for them. We were the team forcing the issue in the early stages, twice having the ball in the net through Dean Shiels and Andy Little, only for them both to be ruled out by the assistant's offside flag. There could be no debate when we finally got in front on the half hour. Robbie Crawford lofted a pass our towards the right of the area, and David Templeton struck a stunning volley that Reguero got a hand to, but couldn't keep out. The half time pep talk urged the lads to keep their shape and discipline, and keep working hard. They exceeded that by netting a second a few minutes after the interval. It was very much a route one goal, Alan Smith coming off his line quickly to collect a bouncing ball before ex-Rangers striker Kris Boyd could connect, and sending it quickly downfield. It found Templeton, who used his head to lift it beyond the defenders who were desperately chasing back, and send Shiels through in the clear. The Northern Irishman tempted the keeper off his line, and lifted the ball over him to double the advantage. Kilamrnock find a way back into the game midway through the half, Boyd is the kind of striker who is tough to keep quiet throughout a whole match, and he rose highest amongst a cluster of defenders to nod Johnston's corner home. We respond by pulling Lee Wallace and Templeton back from their wing roles into a more wing-back position, a case of having what we hold as the Premier League team start to seek control of the game. But we catch them on the classic counter attack not five minutes after their goal, and break their spirits. Lewis MacLeod headed a cross clear from the edge of his own box, and the ball was quickly played through the midfield up the park. Robbie Crawford looked to have played Shiels in, but his first touch was poor. As the defenders converged to get their tackles in, he played it square to the waiting Little, and his low shot nestled into the bottom corner to send us through. There was a certain inevitability about the draw for the Third Round. Yep, it's Celtic away in late September.

Good start, walking Division One should be on the cards. Good win against Accies too.

Cheers tenthree. I'm hoping things will step up a notch once the embargo is done and I've got some better quality players at my disposal.

Six of our players are called up for International duty in early September. Lee Wallace is the only senior International call up, joined in the Scotland setup by Lewis MacLeod in the Under-19's squad. Chris Hegarty is called up by Northern Ireland Under-21's, while Kristian Gibson and Scot Whiteside will join the Under-19's. Luca Gasparotto is called up by Canada Under-20's.

Transfer deadline day arrives. Partick Thistle, Hearts and Inverness Caledonian Thistle all have £25k offers for Charlie Telfer rejected. Bolton Wanderers come back in for Fraser Aird with an offer of £300k, which is also rejected. Young defender Kristian Gibson goes to non-League side, Linlithgow Rose, on loan for 5 months. The offers continued to come in for Telfer through the night, right up until 15 minutes before the deadline, with the same two clubs going up as high as £43k, but still rejected. We can't afford to let squad players go until we're in a position to be able to replace them. We couldn't spend too much focus on deadline day, we had a match to deal with during the day as well.

Saturday 31st August 2013 - Scottish League, Division One

Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow

Rangers (4) 6 Brechin City (2) 4

Scorers : Lee Wallace (7, 81), Dean Shiels (25, 36, 51 pen), Robbie Crawford (26)

Attendance : 48,432

Alan Smith; Emilson Cribari, Luca Gasparotto, Sebastian Faure; Ian Black, Lewis MacLeod, Lee Wallace (capt), David Templeton; Robbie Crawford; Andy Little, Dean Shiels.

Man of the Match : Dean Shiels (Rangers)

Brechin City visit Ibrox for the second time this season, in what turned out to be a crazy afternoon, maybe even enough to put transfer deadline day in the shade. Lee Wallace opened the scoring with a fluke goal, a cross from the left that the keeper came to collect, but misjudged and it flew over his head into the far corner. Dean Shiels made it 2-0, David Templeton cutting inside and sliding a pass into the box, Shiels shooting across goal and inside the far post. Within moments, we had another. Templeton sent Lewis MacLeod into space down the right channel. He passed back inside to Templeton, who found Robbie Crawford near the penalty spot, the young midfielder firing home with a low drive. Brechin got back into it, Ferguson with good work down the left, Wallace not effectively clearing his cross, and Bobby Barr smashing a shot into the top corner. Almost right from the restart, we scored a fourth goal. Good interplay from Templeton, MacLeod and Crawford allowed the latter to put Shiels in on goal, and he once again picked his spot with a shot across goal to re-establish a three goal advantage. But on this day, Brechin wern't rolling over, and they scored again before the break, Erwin found Cammy Keith just inside the box, and he placed his shot beyond Alan Smith and into the bottom corner for a 4-2 half time scoreline. Early in the second half, and David Templeton is brought down inside the penalty area, and the ref awards the spot kick. With a hatrick up for grabs, Shiels replaces the nominated penalty taker, Ian Black, and dispatches the penalty low past Graeme Smith to make it 5-2. Back come Brechin again, Barr refusing to give up on a ball that looked destined to roll for a goal kick, reaching it and slinging in a cross to the 6 yard box that Erwin nodded in. Lee Wallace pops up at the far post to head home his second, and our sixth with 10 minutes left, beating the defence to Andy Little's rather hopeful looking cross from the right. But again, Brechin got a goal back, Garcia Rey played a diagonal ball that was inch perfect for the ever dangerous Ferguson, and he continued his run into the box and fired under Alan Smith's dive to make it 6-4.

Back in the dressing rooms, I told the lads that they need to do a better job when we come up against a better class of opposition. David Templeton took huge offence at that, running to the press and pointing the finger at me, telling them that I'm creating pressure on the players. Really? By giving the team an earful after they ship four goals at home to Brechin City? Templeton is called to the office and asked to explain himself. The winger refuses to back down, and is expecting an apology. He's told to stop questioning my methods and get on with playing football, but he thinks our relationship is now beyond repair. Transfer deadline passed with no movement at the club apart from Gibson's loan move. The following day, it's a Rangers clean sweep of the monthly awards. Dean Shiels is named Player of the Month, midfielder Robbie Crawford picks up the Young Player of the Month accolade, and I'm named Manger of the Month.

On September 3rd, the news comes through that the transfer embargo has been lifted. This immediately frees up several players to start their career's at Ibrox. It's like having half a dozen or so new signings at once. Goalkeepers, Cammy Bell and Steve Simonson. Defenders, Bilel Mohsni, Stevie Smith and Richard Foster. Midfielders, Nicky Law and Arnold Peralta. Strikers, Jon Daly and Nicky Clark. No transfer budget is automatically given out, and we've already got our noses pressed pretty firmly against the £118k per week wage budget currently in place. I go to the Boardroom, and while not particularly confident in getting a favourable response, I ask for some transfer funds. They agree, and hand out just shy of £6m. This is great news, as while I can't actually spend any transfer money until January, I can move some into the wage budget and look at free agents. I half the transfer budget down to £3m, and push the wage budget up to £167k per week.

Wednesday 4th September 2013 - Scottish League, Division One

New Bayview Stadium, Methil

East Fife (0) 1 Rangers (2) 4

Scorers : Ian Black (4 pen, 57 pen), Robbie Crawford (20), Alex Wynter (85 o.g)

Attendance : 1,980

Cammy Bell; Emilson Cribari, Bilel Mohsni, Sebastian Faure; Ian Black, Lewis MacLeod (Arnold Peralta 69), Lee Wallace (capt) (Fraser Aird 69), David Templeton; Robbie Crawford; Andy Little (Jon Daly 69), Dean Shiels.

Man of the Match : Ian Black (Rangers)

Our first game since the expiry of the embargo, meaning a few players making their Rangers debut. Cammy Bell starts in goal with Alan Smith dropping to the bench. Bilel Mohsni comes into the team at centre back, Luca Gasparotto takes bench duty. He's joined by Arnold Peralta, Nicky Law and Jon Daly, all also hoping to make their first appearance for the club. Ian Black opens the scoring from the spot after Bilel Mohsni was pushed at the far post following a corner, Black sending the keeper the wrong way. Robbie Crawford is one of those who will be desperately clinging to his spot in the team now there is more competition for a place, and he did his cause no harm in the 20th minute, beating their keeper to David Templeton's cross from the right and steering the ball into the net. Ten minutes into the second half, and Black gets a second opportunity from the spot after another push, this time from a free kick. Black went to the other corner this time, but the keeper once again, went the wrong way. East Fife got one back shortly after the hour, Easton played a fine ball left to McBride, and he floated his cross into the middle, Liam Buchanan going between Mohsni and Sebastian Faure, and beating Cammy Bell with his header. With five minutes remaining, Arnold Peralta sent Robbie Crawford into the box on the right hand side, he smashed the ball across goal where Jon Daly was waiting, but Alex Wynter's attempt to clear the ball skewed right off the outside of his boot and past his own keeper.

The first player to join the club since the embargo, is Finnish attacking midfielder, Mika Vayrynen. The 31 year old was out of contract with HJK Helsinki, and playing on a non contract basis. He signs a 2 year contract at £6.5k per week, and he's been capped 59 times for his country, and has scored 5 goals. He'll join the club on January 1st. Coming in the door straight away, are a pair of centre backs. 20 years old and 6'2, Valentin Gjokaj joins on loan for the rest of the season from Derby County of the Sky Bet Championship. We'll pay half his wages during that period, the equivalent of £750 a week. He's a dual national, eligible for Albania, but capped by Switzerland Under-21's. He's joined by a very experienced centre back, 34 year old Estonian, Raio Piiroja. Capped an impressive 114 times, and notching 8 goals for his nation, he signs his 9 month contract at £2.4k a week with us, the day after a man of the match performance for Estonia in a 1-1 draw with Turkey. He's recently been released from his contract with Chinese First Division side, Chengdu. Neither of the two new defenders are available to make their debuts on the Saturday, joining five other players on International duty that makes them unavailable for our game at Dundee.

Saturday 7th September 2013 - Scottish League Challenge Cup, Third Round

Dens Park, Dundee

Dundee (0) 0 Rangers (2) 3

Scorers : Emilson Cribari (24), Andy Little (45, 72)

Attendance : 7,091

Cammy Bell; Emilson Cribari (capt) (Kyle McAusland 73), Bilel Mohsni, Sebastian Faure; Ian Black (Jon Daly 73), Nicky Law, Stevie Smith, David Templeton (Fraser Aird 73); Robbie Crawford; Andy Little, Dean Shiels.

Man of the Match : Andy Little (Rangers)

I'm surprised the game didn't get rearranged due to us having 7 players unavailable to us as a result of the Internationals. Lewis MacLeod and Lee Wallace are replaced by Nicky Law and Stevie Smith, both making their Rangers' debuts. Nicky Law took a free kick from just to the left of the penalty box midway through the first half, and Emilson Cribari slipped his marker to head in at the near post. Right on half time, one of their defenders tried a clearance on the edge of his own box, that he blasted right against Dean Shiels, and bounced into the path of Andy Little, who wasted no time in dispatching the ball into the corner of the net. He got a second later on, a long range shot by Robbie Crawford should have been a comfortable catch for their keeper, Dan Twardzik. Instead, he tried to push the ball over the bar while out near his penalty spot. He only succeeded in pushing the ball up into the air, and while he was prone on the ground, Little was on the spot for the easiest goal he'll ever score. The brace earned Little the man of the match award, but for me, Nicky Law was very impressive in this game. We'll face Dumbarton at their stadium in the semi-finals in mid October. Forfar will play Raith in the other tie.

As if I wasn't unpopular enough with the fans, I take it another step further, and sign a former Celtic striker. Chris Killen is a New Zealand International, returning a very healthy 22 goals from 54 caps. Now 31 years of age, he's spent the last 4 seasons in China, and signs on a free after becoming a free agent. He'll be joined by French midfielder, Franck Moussa. We take advantage of Coventry City's cash issues, and throw in a lowball bid of £600k, which they accept. The 24 year old will join the club on New Year's Day. We also make a bid for Dundee United's wonderkid, Ryan Gauld. We offer them £1.5m, they tell us they want £10m. That's the end of that negotiation then. But Moussa will be joined by a Rangers old boy. Kevin Thomson will rejoin the club in January, after we agreed a fee of £650k with Hibernian for the midfielder. Thomson has left Hibs for Rangers once before, in Summer 2006 for £2m. He had 4 good seasons with the club, before leaving for Middlesbrough. Now 29 years old, Thomson will be a great influence around the young midfielders at the club.

Saturday 14th September 2013 - Scottish League, Division One

Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow

Rangers (4) 4 Ayr United (0) 0

Scorers : David Templeton (3), Andy Little (11), Lee Wallace (22), Dean Shiels (40)

Attendance : 48,078

Cammy Bell; Raio Piiroja (Valentin Gjokaj 61), Bilel Mohsni, Sebastian Faure; Ian Black, Nicky Law, Lee Wallace (capt) (Arnold Peralta 61), David Templeton; Robbie Crawford; Andy Little (Jon Daly 61), Dean Shiels.

Man of the Match : Robbie Crawford (Rangers)

A top of the table clash with Ayr United at home provides Raio Piiroja with his debut for the club. Nicky Law's impressive showing at Dundee in midweek means he retains his spot at the expense of Lewis MacLeod. The game was built up by the media as a close encounter, but a spectacular first half performance blows United out of the water. It didn't take long to trouble the scoreboard operator, less then 3 minutes. Lee Wallace's free kick into the box was only partially cleared, Nicky Law and Raio Piiroja work it back into the area, and Dean Shiels tees up David Templeton, his left foot drive from 10 yards out going right into the top corner under the angle of post and cross bar. Andy Little got the second, his 10th goal of the campaign. Sebastian Faure used Wallace as a decoy, and played the ball into the box. Robbie Crawford did a great job of staying onside, and his square pass found Little, all alone on the edge of the 6 yard box, leaving the keeper helpless. The third from Wallace was easily the goal of the game, a 25 yard left footed free kick that got over the wall, and just about back down to find the target, with a little bit of help from the post. Dean Shiels got what would turn out to be the final goal five minutes before the break, the weight on the through ball from Robbie Crawford was perfect, and Shiels provided what is becoming a trademark finish, shooting across the keeper and inside the far post. He's certainly enjoying his spell up front.

Scottish League, Division One - Sunday 15th September 2013
| Pos   | Inf   | Team          |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
[b]| 1st   |       | Rangers       |       | 5     | 5     | 0     | 0     | 24    | 7     | +17   | 15    | [/b]
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Stranraer     |       | 5     | 3     | 1     | 1     | 8     | 7     | +1    | 10    | 
| 3rd   |       | Ayr           |       | 5     | 3     | 1     | 1     | 6     | 7     | -1    | 10    | 
| 4th   |       | Arbroath      |       | 5     | 2     | 1     | 2     | 10    | 9     | +1    | 7     | 
| 5th   |       | Forfar        |       | 5     | 2     | 1     | 2     | 6     | 8     | -2    | 7     | 
| 6th   |       | Dunfermline   |       | 5     | 2     | 1     | 2     | 7     | 10    | -3    | 7     | 
| 7th   |       | Stenhousemuir |       | 5     | 2     | 0     | 3     | 9     | 9     | 0     | 6     | 
| 8th   |       | Airdrie       |       | 5     | 1     | 1     | 3     | 4     | 9     | -5    | 4     | 
| 9th   |       | Brechin       |       | 5     | 1     | 0     | 4     | 10    | 14    | -4    | 3     | 
| 10th  |       | East Fife     |       | 5     | 1     | 0     | 4     | 9     | 13    | -4    | 3     | 

I go to the Boardroom, and while not particularly confident in getting a favourable response, I ask for some transfer funds. They agree, and hand out just shy of £6m.

That sounds like our board.

Good on Kevin Thomson. I always liked him. But out of curiosity, were there any in-game notes about fan reaction for crossing the OF divide to sign Killen?

Thanks Gary. My chances of beating Raith are significantly higher now you've done off to Germany mate.

Surprisingly enough tenthree, no. I was fully expecting a backlash from the fans, but there was no mention or reaction at all, not even on the confidence page. I know the game does factor it, I once bought a former Partizan Belgrade player when I was manager of Red Star...that didn't end well

Saturday 21st September 2013 - Scottish League, Division One

Gayfield Park, Arbroath

Arbroath (1) 2 Rangers (2) 5

Scorers : David Templeton (33), Robbie Crawford (45, 69, 74), Sebastian Faure (59)

Attendance : 2,087

Cammy Bell; Raio Piiroja, Bilel Mohsni (Emilson Cribari 65), Sebastian Faure; Ian Black (Lewis MacLeod 87), Nicky Law, Lee Wallace (capt), David Templeton; Robbie Crawford; Andy Little (Jon Daly 65), Dean Shiels.

Man of the Match : Robbie Crawford (Rangers)

A Saturday lunchtime fixture at Arbroath in front of the TV cameras. The opening half hour was as much pressure as I've seen a team take without caving in. We had nine corners in that 30 minute spell. So it was a shock to go behind. Bilel Mohsni got too cute on the corner of his own area, refusing to boot the ball into touch, trying to take his man on instead. He trod on the ball, gifting it to Steven Doris, who curled his shot beautifully past Cammy Bell to give Arbroath the lead against the run of play. The shooting gallery at the other end continues, and eventually we get a reward, David Templeton heading in at the near post from a Lee Wallace corner kick. With seconds left in the first half, Robbie Crawford got in between a defender and the keeper to head home Templeton's cross from the right to give us a half time advantage. The team talk was firm, the lads told that we need to do more. Arbroath reminded us of that less than a minute into the second period, Andy Little beaten in the air as we tried to press forwards, and the counter caught us cold, McIntosh sliding the pass between the defenders and Doris was calm, sliding the ball past Bell's dive to square the game up. We got ourselves back in front just before the hour, Lee Wallace initial corner was cleared back to him, his second attempt at a cross found the head of Sebastian Faure a good 20 yards out, and Morrison should have comfortably collected it, but tried it push it away, only pushing it inside his own post and we're back in front. This time we didn't give up the lead, Jon Daly headed down Nicky Law's corner and Crawford hooked a left footed shot through the crowd into the top corner, and he completed his hatrick 5 minutes later, Law and Emilson Cribari working hard to win the ball back, and Crawford looped a shot over Morrison.

The mind games start the day before our Scottish League Cup tie at Celtic. Their manager, Neil Lennon, speak to the press, stating that in a game like the 'Old Firm Derby', gameplans and tactics can go right out of the window, and that amount of uncertainty worried him. I replied that Lennon was simply looking to take the pressure off his players, who don't wear the tag of favourites well.

Wednesday 25th September 2013 - Scottish League Cup, Third Round

Celtic Park, Glasgow

Celtic (0) 4 Rangers (0) 1 - after extra time

Scorers : Robbie Crawford (90+3)

Attendance : 48,473

Cammy Bell; Raio Piiroja, Bilel Mohsni, Sebastian Faure (Emilson Cribari 71); Ian Black, Nicky Law (Arnold Peralta 89), Lee Wallace (capt) (Jon Daly 89), David Templeton; Robbie Crawford; Andy Little, Dean Shiels.

Man of the Match : Derk Boerrigter (Celtic)

It wasn't as bad as the score suggested. Really, it wasn't. The players were told in no uncertain terms how important this game was to the fans, even more so now that the Old Firm derbies would be a more occurrence for a while at least. The opening few minutes were frantic as always, tackles flying in all over the place, David Templeton quickly injuring his marker Emilio Izaguirre. With Celtic lining up in a 4-4-1-1, both sides were finding that their attacking midfielders were being forced to join the 4 on 4 fight in the centre of the park. We were forcing the issue a little more in the first half, most of our shots were from longer range, not through the lack of opportunity to do otherwise though. Both Andy Little and Dean Shiels broke the defensive line, but both shot too early to bother Fraser Forster. In defence, we looked solid enough, and a scoreless first half was seen as a job well done. The players were told they were doing a good job, and they stuck to their task admirably in the second half. Cammy Bell produced a brilliant stop from Teemu Pukki from close range, and followed it up by a tip over the bar from Charlie Mulgrew's free kick. With extra time in sight, heartbreak, as we shipped a goal with just 2 minutes of the 90 remaining. A corner was delivered by Johansen towards the edge of the box, and Brown headed it goalwards. It deflected off Raio Piiroja, but Bell flung himself across goal to push it away, but Pukki was on hand to head it home. It was so harsh. We made the last of our changes right away, I had been keeping them to give us some fresh legs in extra time. The ref hadn't produced a card in the game, and each team had now used all their subs. Injury time would be the standard 3 or 4 minutes. We threw everything at them, Piiroja thumping the bar with a header from a corner. All looked lost, a long ball covered by McIlduff, but his attempted clearance to the flank only found Dean Shiels, who burst past his marker, crossed from the byline, where Robbie Crawford got just enough on his header to keep it out of Forster's reach and creep inside the far post. Extra Time. It was a nervous affair again, but we were holding up well, until getting undone by a set piece with seconds left in the first extra half. Johansen's corner, and van Dijk arrived at the near post to get the faintest of touches and it beat Bell. We now had no choice but to go for it, pushing the wingers further up field. It cost us. Boerrigter beat Templeton down our right and his cross was perfect for Biton to beat Bell with a rising shot. They nicked another on the counter as poured forward. Pukki went down the right, his cross picked out Boerrigter. He fired right at Bell with his first crack, but his second was too the hot to handle, and the keeper spilled it into his own net. The fans were disappointed, but I was upbeat. In the grand scheme of things, we shouldn't be expected to be challenging them right now. The players didn't see it that way though, my upbeat speech didn't wash with them either.

In the grand scheme of things, we shouldn't be expected to be challenging them right now. The players didn't see it that way though, my upbeat speech didn't wash with them either.

In the grand scheme of things, the Old Firm is the Old Firm. The players' reaction is understandable.

So this morning, I tried to reload this save. It fails to load, giving me an error code that I don't recognise. I uninstall the game, and do a reinstall. No good. It won't let me start a new game either. I uninstall everything from the workshop, and try it again, but no joy. I uninstall Steam, and everything in it, and reinstall it. It worked, the game works again.....but no idea where my saves are. I reinstall FM'13, same deal. Game works again, but all my saves are gone.

If anyone can help out in some way, I'd be over the moon. As it stands right now, I've lost all my saves. I think my laptop may be about to take the ice bucket challenge :thdn:

So this morning, I tried to reload this save. It fails to load, giving me an error code that I don't recognise. I uninstall the game, and do a reinstall. No good. It won't let me start a new game either. I uninstall everything from the workshop, and try it again, but no joy. I uninstall Steam, and everything in it, and reinstall it. It worked, the game works again.....but no idea where my saves are. I reinstall FM'13, same deal. Game works again, but all my saves are gone.

If anyone can help out in some way, I'd be over the moon. As it stands right now, I've lost all my saves. I think my laptop may be about to take the ice bucket challenge :thdn:

Neil games should be defaulted to My Documents > Sports Interactive > Football Manager 13 > games I think. It may have installed again and be pointed at a duplicate Sports Interactive folder in the My Documents (Or documents on windows 7 & 8) so its worth a check of the folder.

Thanks for the help Gary, but I double checked in there, and had no luck. I really should back stuff up more often to the external. Should have learnt my lesson after the last laptop went down the stairs

Archived