The Steelmen Cometh - CONSETT AFC

mal9ball

Consett AFC are a Level 9 club in the Northern League. I am actually on their Management Committee in real life and sell the programmes and raffle tickets before the match kicks off and I enjoy the hour before the game watching the players warm up. There is something special about grassroots Football, so it was natural that in #FM14 I would manage this team, trying to build them into a superpower, or at the very least get them into the Football League.

I have a series of videos on YouTube chartering this story, which I hope you find interesting.

Chairman Frank Bell sat around the boardroom table with Manager Malcolm Clarke and Chief Scout Carl Frost. The mood was an odd mix of elation and disappointment and it was difficult to know whether it was appropriate to share either one emotion or the other.

After a successful first season in charge which saw The Steelmen promoted from the Northern League as champions after amassing a solid young squad of ambitious and hungry talent, they had launched an immediate assault on the Northern Regional First Division, missing out on automatic promotion because the winning team, Lancaster, won one more game than Consett despite having equal points.

"We missed out on goal difference." said Frank. "I'm putting in an extra £500 per week on the wage budget this season, but the priority has to be the F.A. Cup to raise revenue for the club. That and promotion, I don't ask for much do I? Go and make it happen."

Using the amazing qualities of Carl Frost, who has scouting credentials to rival any Premier league scout, Clarke secured the future of 17 year old left back Tommy Searle and plucked out of the reserves a versatile young midfielder called Ryan Reynolds, who had turned up for a trial and showed great technical ability and determination, despite having little fitness or pace. Forward Scott Ramsay, a 16 year old who Frost felt not only arrived as the best forward in the squad but had the potential for huge improvement, joined from the local leagues. Goalkeeper Neil Postlethwaite, formerly of Wigan Athletic in 2008, returned after difficult contract negotiations to occupy the goalkeepers jersey for a second season after a brilliant first season.

Throughout September and October Consett were awarded with five home ties in the F.A. Cup and progressed through all five rounds of the qualifying phase dispatching Wantage, Great Yarmouth, Southall, Hastings Utd and Cammel Laird to set up a mouthwatering tie against Conference Premier side Boston Utd. The Steelman rose to the occasion, beating Boston easily by three goals to nil with strikes from midfielders Tom Murray, Tom Allinson and Leon Chapman. Next up was League 2 side Northampton.

The press mocked Consett's chances in the pre-match press conference. Clarke was resolute, assertively stating, "Their league position of 23rd shows they have many vulnerabilities in defence that my exciting young squad will try and exploit. We will attack them straight from kick off and test their belief. An early goal could change everything."

And that is exactly what happened. The fans could scarcely believe their eyes as Consett attacked right from kickoff, dominating the game and opening the scoring when winger Darren Reece slammed home after a cute pass from Tom Murray on 32 minutes. A solid defensive display followed before young striker Scott Ellis scored on the break to wrap up victory on 82 minutes. The reward? A home tie against Premier League Charlton Athletic which was sure to bring in lots of revenue and perhaps the greatest F.A. Cup upset in history.

Consett's stadium was full for the tie, smashing the previous record of 726 with a huge 2,600 crowd in attendance. Charlton fielded a reserve side and Consett gamely attacked them. Unfortunately whilst all good fairytales have a happy ending, this is Football and the Premier League is nine divisions above Consett and it showed. Consett lost 4-0, but had periods of attack that suggested a promotion or two with the current squad was not an unrealistic dream.

Chairman Frank Bell met with Clarke after the match and took stock of the season so far.

"I am delighted to say that F.A. Cup run earned the club £150,000. Thank you for securing our immediate financial future. Now it's all about the league and we've got some work to do."

The cup run served as an additional pressure on the league form of Consett and despite the lucrative financial returns had been a bit of a distraction. A run of 9 games without a run between October and November had turned a promising start into a frustrating slide into mid-table. This was not lost on the Chairman.

"The cup run is over, it's been a fantastic experience but we need promotion. A big run until the end of the season and I believe we can do it. We have the resources for next season but we need to get there first. I'd rather use those resources in the higher league. I know you can do it."

Clarke moved towards the boardroom door. As he did so, Frank called his name.

"Malcolm." Bell said with an expectant expression on his face. "No pressure."

Clarke closed the door behind him as he left. "No pressure." he said to himself. "I'm sure there isn't."

Archived